Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2018 Challenger Hellcat 'Demon'

WOW - this is impressive. Think about this enormous torque! angel

Grant:
    JoeRockhead:

Drive shaft on a Hellcat that was in for repairs: 

https://i.redd.it/5m8k4kuimkez.jpg

no

How could the tires have enough traction for this to happen?

I believe they come standard with drag radials.

Those things once warmed up have almost slick like traction.

--

Whoopsy:
    Grant:
    JoeRockhead:

no

Still... should be engineering 101 to compute the max torque possible and compare it to the twisting resistance of a simple tube (i.e.. the driveshaft).  

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

4trac:
    Whoopsy:
    Grant:
    JoeRockhead:

no

Still... should be engineering 101 to compute the max torque possible and compare it to the twisting resistance of a simple tube (i.e.. the driveshaft).  

You wouldn't think Smiley

At drag strips, however, they do apply DHT to the surface, basically glue to increase traction, the stickiness of those varies so hard to account for. Then there is unanticipated material defect. 

Drag racers break stuff all the time. 

--

4trac:
    Whoopsy:
    Grant:
    JoeRockhead:

no

Could be a quality issue with the manufacturing process. Car could also be modified. Smiley

These is that split second when power is transferred and it either is or isn't. In this case the tire beat the driveshaft. 

2nd round (1st round was a spinfest with toasted slicks). Stock tires this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqC0aSnxMmk

2:50 Drag Race 1
    3:38 Drag Race 2
    4:28 Race 1
    5:16 Race 2 Tesla overheated
    5:56 Drag Race 3

Demon sucks.

That green Dodge looks awesome and sounds awesomekiss

rhino:

That green Dodge looks awesome and sounds awesomekiss

But noone says it sucks.

IMG_0054.ICO

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

indecision

I mean, why spend on this money on a car that need bicycle front tires to perform when you could just put $10-15K into a GTR or some turbo car that will pump out a zillion hp and do the same while actually have normal usability?

The 1/4 mile times for the Demon are not even good if drag racing is your thing. Some guy in a 1991 Mustang will blow your doors off probably...

noone1:

I mean, why spend on this money on a car that need bicycle front tires to perform when you could just put $10-15K into a GTR or some turbo car that will pump out a zillion hp and do the same while actually have normal usability?

The 1/4 mile times for the Demon are not even good if drag racing is your thing. Some guy in a 1991 Mustang will blow your doors off probably...

Modified vs stock.

There are different classes in drag racing.

--

Whoopsy:
    noone1:

Modified vs stock.

There are different classes in drag racing.

apparently two classes, the ones with noone1's seal of approval (Teslas and McLarens) and those that Noone1 says they suck (...  all others) Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

What would be the point of that? To see who can remove their foot from the brake closest to the green light?

noone1:

What would be the point of that? To see who can remove their foot from the brake closest to the green light?

That's not even necessary. I will let you go off first in your beloved RAV4, then I walk to my Cayenne Turbo S and start the engine, lit a cigarette then step on the throttle and still beat you to the 1/4 mile mark.

--

1/4 mile drag time is all American cares. Look no farther than American.

Every where in the world, a highway on ramp is a curve off to the right and merge onto the highway. Only in American is where dumb engineers design the on-ramp to be on the other side on a intersection with 2 lanes behind a red light where 0-someting counts and its' almost a 1/4 mile to the merge point. Or for even dumber engineering, a stationary left turn signal to get on the highway. 

It's almost like the entrance to the highway is an after thought. The whole world outside uses butterfly ramps and no need to stop cause the entrance to highway are designed in in the first place.

--

I have no idea what you're talking about. The highway on-ramps in America are largely identical to those of other countries.

Whoopsy:

Every where in the world, a highway on ramp is a curve off to the right and merge onto the highway. Only in American is where dumb engineers design the on-ramp to be on the other side on a intersection with 2 lanes behind a red light where 0-someting counts and its' almost a 1/4 mile to the merge point. Or for even dumber engineering, a stationary left turn signal to get on the highway. 

It's almost like the entrance to the highway is an after thought. The whole world outside uses butterfly ramps and no need to stop cause the entrance to highway are designed in in the first place.

It is not good to generalize.  Your logic does not even explain why Americans prefer manuals so often. 

Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:

It is not good to generalize.  Your logic does not even explain why Americans prefer manuals so often

OftenSmiley 5%? 10% at max? Is that often? Smiley Most Americans I know (not necessarily car enthusiasts) don't even know how to drive stick.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

American 'car enthusiasts' prefer manual cause it's the manly thing to do, most people don''t know how to drive a manual, the only one bothered to learn to drive a manual are men, and most of the automatic back then were shit boxes. Driving a manual car is one way to show off. 

In Europe, everyone and their grandma can drive a manual, it's not even a novelty, 

I have manual, PDK, and normal automatic cars right now. Shifting gears myself is fun at times, but it all depends on the situation. If I don't have the urge to go fast, like just putting around town in light traffic, or for a leisurely drive on a mountain highway, I will take out the manual cars; if I wanted to go fast, I take the PDKs. The best cars are in PDK, lightning quick response, never miss a gear (granted I never miss one in the 911R or the GT3, and only missing gears in the Aston and the 3.6).

--

Whoopsy:

American 'car enthusiasts' prefer manual cause it's the manly thing to do, most people don''t know how to drive a manual, the only one bothered to learn to drive a manual are men, and most of the automatic back then were shit boxes. Driving a manual car is one way to show off. 

In Europe, everyone and their grandma can drive a manual, it's not even a novelty, 

I have manual, PDK, and normal automatic cars right now. Shifting gears myself is fun at times, but it all depends on the situation. If I don't have the urge to go fast, like just putting around town in light traffic, or for a leisurely drive on a mountain highway, I will take out the manual cars; if I wanted to go fast, I take the PDKs. The best cars are in PDK, lightning quick response, never miss a gear (granted I never miss one in the 911R or the GT3, and only missing gears in the Aston and the 3.6).

I know...not in Europe though. Doesn't really matter here, although there are some people over here who like manual as well (but not because it is manly or whatever crap... Smiley).

My wife forgot how to drive stick, so not everyone can drive manual in Europe. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

noone1:

I have no idea what you're talking about. The highway on-ramps in America are largely identical to those of other countries.

Really? 

I don't believe there is a single highway onramp in Canada that one needs to wait on a red light and take a left to get on for right to left traffic. Everywhere in the world they design the onramp for right to left traffic right after the right turns for getting on the highway for left to right directions. 

Rarely do you see interchange like this in the US:

kisspng-highway-overpass-butterfly-highway-5aa6888d2fc647.9062625615208633731957.jpg

All the turns are right turns, the safer ones. Obviously this one is missing the right turn on ramps for the left to right traffics.

--

RC:
    Whoopsy:

I know...not in Europe though. Doesn't really matter here, although there are some people over here who like manual as well (but not because it is manly or whatever crap... Smiley).

My wife forgot how to drive stick, so not everyone can drive manual in Europe. Smiley Smiley

There are exceptions of course!! 

Back then, most people take their driving lessons in a manual car.

Actually if my memory serves me right, in HK, the driver license has a note saying whether the holder is certified to drive a manual car or not.

--

Whoopsy:
    noone1:

Really? 

I don't believe there is a single highway onramp in Canada that one needs to wait on a red light and take a left to get on for right to left traffic. Everywhere in the world they design the onramp for right to left traffic right after the right turns for getting on the highway for left to right directions. 

kisspng-highway-overpass-butterfly-highway-5aa6888d2fc647.9062625615208633731957.jpg

All the turns are right turns, the safer ones. Obviously this one is missing the right turn on ramps for the left to right traffics.

You just aren't visiting the right places, nearly every interchange I use looks like that.  Unfortunately the majority of drivers in the US don't seem to understand how to merge without causing complete chaos.

Whoopsy:

Really? 

LOL what? These are all over the place. The reason they aren't used at every possible on-ramp is because they take up more space and there are often residential neighborhoods and other stuff already there long before the highway was built.

You can't just build massive loops like that in dense areas. It's why we have things like service drives etc.

I always thought that the prevalence of manual transmission cars in Europe was that they were cheaper. I had rented a car from Auto Europe and at that time it was a bit more expensive to rent a car with an auto transmission than a manual, I assume for that reason.

JoeRockhead:

I always thought that the prevalence of manual transmission cars in Europe was that they were cheaper. 

True, that is so for non-sportcars, reason for manual in Europe has always been because auto was a cost option, they had lower mileage and may have higher maintenance costs. For sportcars though that was not the reason, but sportcars are only a small percentage of the total cars so you could say that the main reason was because they were cheaper.

Things have changed though, now autos are cheaper than they were and are better performing and more sporty than they were so the lines between manual and auto have blurred somewhat.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:
    JoeRockhead:

I always thought that the prevalence of manual transmission cars in Europe was that they were cheaper. 

True, that is so for non-sportcars, reason for manual in Europe has always been because auto was a cost option, they had lower mileage and may have higher maintenance costs. For sportcars though that was not the reason, but sportcars are only a small percentage of the total cars so you could say that the main reason was because they were cheaper.

Things have changed though, now autos are cheaper than they were and are better performing and more sporty than they were so the lines between manual and auto have blurred somewhat.

and another main reason was that for years , auto boxes where not even an option . They just did not exist on most cars  . They only existed on bigger '' luxurious ''  sedans .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Yeah, it really has nothing to do with the people/culture. Manuals were just cheaper in Europe.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689412 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409124 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255702 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234962 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65515 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857912 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773944 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM