Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Instru dials painted red: legible?

Considering ordering red painted instrument dials on 996TTS (blk/blk w/red stitching, seatbelts and brake calipers). Dealer tells me legibility of dials is possible issue (no pictures/examples available at dealer). Anyone w/experience w/red painted dials with a view? Thanks.

Re: Instru dials painted red: legible?

Not more difficult to read than black. I prefer black, but that's a matter of taste.

Red stitching? Think about it. When it ages - and it will - it may look very old indeed.

my suggestion would be silver stiching w/ lots of aluminum, looks better than red.

red stitching ages very poorly and begins to look orange/pink after a few years.

red dails are a bit harder on the eyes than aluminum look dials/ white dials / black dials. but they are better than yellow.

read the article on rennlist about peeling coloured dials...

Quote:
    ADias said:
    This post shows red dials:
    http://www.funcarsonline.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=95049&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

no it doesnt liar!!!

could you post the right one, i'd really like to see them

Thx for input, guys. I'm opting to stay w/TTS standard aluminum dials, as I've heard mixed reviews on painted dials (both legibility and possibly OTT). On stitching, appreciate the long-term durability issues, but I plan to only keep this 996TTS for 1-2 yrs before getting the much-awaited 997TTS/GT3. After many blk/blk cars, I need the contrasting stitching to make things a bit more interesting.

Red dial faces very hard to read; no question about it ! Black
    or silver much better contrast; hence much easier to read.
    Revvv

Quote:
    Moogle said:

no it doesnt liar!!!

could you post the right one, i'd really like to see them

It does when I click on it - a small shot of a red cluster. I just grabbed the pic from there:

P.S. - Liar? a bit too agressive don't you think?

ok i see the pic now adias,

actually it doesnt look that bad.

i wonder if the exclusive department could do all the guages in black, and just the tach in yellow/red.

ala the 360 challenge stradale...

I had red dials, stitching, and belts on my Basalt/Black TT Cab. I think the look is amazing and there was no problem reading the instruments. If you do decide on red stitching, you must order all four options - doors & dash, seats, exclusive options, and custom tailoring.

[image]http://hobbystage.net/porsche/media.cgi?site=esk&folder=*&group=1&page=*&id=1064717816-008421[/image]

Thanks for the pics, ADias and ESK. The red dials and stitching look awesome. I've changed my order to get them. Thanks again.

Here's another one combined with grey leather on Porsche's site:

http://www3.porsche.de/german/deu/accessories/exclusive/samples/sportlich3.htm

It's on the German site so I am not sure if it is available in another country, but since the above car has red dials also it'd work out!

Greetings!

Thx, Ferdie. I'm definitely looking forward to the red dials, stitching, etc. Unfortunately, P just indicated that brake calipers on 996TTS can't be painted red....so yellow=PCCB is non-negotiable to P even for incremental option profit

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    ... even for incremental option profit

Haha, you should direct it to Wendelin directly.

Anyways, I would love to know your final choices, maybe we can aid and add our comments!

What colour is the leather in? Black or grey?

Doing blk w/blk leather sport seats w/red stitching, belts and dials. Currently oscillating on idea of black painted wheels vs TTS' standard CGT Silver-painted wheels (haven't seen blk painted wheels live to assess). Plan to use car as daily commuter until 997TTS comes out, so want a color scheme I can live w/daily for 18-24 mos.

Well, I honestly have to say that I am not too fond about black cars.

You might be looking for something like this? It's a GT3 though:

http://www.8200rpm.com/index.php?p=1&t=2&g=141&o=0&gs=7

Thx for pic . I'm a hopeless addict for blk/blk (have always regretted when I've had cars in other colors). Don't think I can live w/blk painted wheels, though...seems a little extreme, industrial-trackish for a daily commuter car. Haven't seen good pics of 996TTS wheels yet, but CGT silver-painted wheels could be reasonably interesting for a blk car.....have a Nov build (unfortunately not sooner) so have some time to ruminate....

One silly question:

Why red parts in the interior?

I would consider yellow also, though it is a bit more extreme to the eye - considering it's your daily driver!

How about a more stylistic colour like beige or grey in the interior?

Quite a calm appereance with grey interior - the red dials wouldn't give enough emotion to me - and therefore not my favourite colour combo:
    http://www2.porsche.de/german/deu/accessories/exclusive/samples/sportlich3.htm

Black with beige interior - that's supposed to be F. Piech's favoured colour combo by the way. I could imagine the interior in black with aluminium parts also:
    http://www2.porsche.de/german/deu/accessories/exclusive/samples/klassisch1.htm

Here are two other examples:

I like the mixture of wood and black coloured interior parts combined with black leather
    http://www2.porsche.de/german/deu/accessories/exclusive/samples/klassisch2.htm

Mixture of two different leather colours - champagne and blue. Don't hope that it's too complicated or expensive to order:
    http://www2.porsche.de/german/deu/accessories/exclusive/samples/design2.htm

Would like to know your final choice in the end! May ask which country you live in? If I remember correct it was the U.S., right?

Ferdie, thx for posting the various ideas for color schemes....much appreciated.

Have to say I'm not huge fan of lighter colors...like the "intimidation" factor of darker colors and feel that darker colors camouflage the assorted cheap interior touches that seemingly every brand/model I've owned/considered seems to have.

Great question on the red.....tried unsuccessfully to have P paint the PCCB calipers red to lend credence to the red offset in the interior; frankly, have an aversion to yellow (I put up w/yellow on the shields on F...and I guess now I'll have to deal w/it on the PCCB). I figure red touches are dramatic, minimalist offset to an otherwise boring black interior.

Currently have car ordered as blk/blk w/red stitching, belts, dials, sport seats w/crests, leather rear console, thicker steering wheel and few other minor options. May change few tweaks before Nov build.

Am SF (US) based.

Will post when (finally) get this car....can't wait.

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    .....tried unsuccessfully to have P paint the PCCB calipers red to lend credence to the red offset in the interior; frankly, have an aversion to yellow (I put up w/yellow on the shields on F...and I guess now I'll have to deal w/it on the PCCB).

VKSF,

If you really want PCCB brakes but with red brake calipers, there is still a way to do it.

Just have a set of red calipers from a cast iron brake 911 GT3 RS (RoW Model) installed. (They are identical apart from color).

Parts cost maybe 1000 Euro (in Europe), plus labor.

You could keep the yellow calipers for when you sell the car. The buyer might prefer the original "color scheme".

Sounds pretty good! Hope I could help a little and that you will enjoy the car!

Did you consider leathered airvents? It might be a bit over the top but haven't this should be about the last plastic piece that is not covered in the interior then. For a convertible I would also consider the leathered sunvisors but if I get it right you order the coupe? I suppose the Porsche dealer can show you some examples - hey, the car isn't cheap so why saving at the wrong place...?

Do you go for the std. leather? I heard that the Natural Leather is much softer but also a bit touchy.

Anyways, you should have quite a lot of fun with the car and I am looking forward to see it on the pictures!

Oh, something else. Do you plan to pick up the car in Germany?

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    .....tried unsuccessfully to have P paint the PCCB calipers red to lend credence to the red offset in the interior; frankly, have an aversion to yellow (I put up w/yellow on the shields on F...and I guess now I'll have to deal w/it on the PCCB).

VKSF,

If you really want PCCB brakes but with red brake calipers, there is still a way to do it.

Just have a set of red calipers from a cast iron brake 911 GT3 RS (RoW Model) installed. (They are identical apart from color).

Parts cost maybe 1000 Euro (in Europe), plus labor.

You could keep the yellow calipers for when you sell the car. The buyer might prefer the original "color scheme".

Thx for idea, Fritz; I'll look into it. Although given the GT3 RS isn't sold in US (sometimes it seems like all the good stuff is kept out of the US mkt ), getting these parts might be difficult....but I'll chk.

Ferdie, great suggestion re: Natural Grey....looked at it at dealer; almost blk color, much better finish/feel than std leather. I added that to my order.

Leathered vents...part of small leather package. Haven't seen it live; have you? My dealer didn't have car w/example. If you think it looks good live, I'm on board to add it to my order. As RC keeps making me salivate at prospect of 997TTS, I doubt I'll keep this car more than 12-18 mos....so I don't want to get killed on trade-in value w/too many superfluous options....but I do want to enjoy a well-finished 996TTS

Is a Coupe, so no leather visors for this car.

Unfortunately, no German deliv, given Nov/Dec time frame is fairly busy for me @office. I'm huge fan of autobahn (actually was originally scheduled to pick up an SL65 in Germany in Aug, but MB cx'd German deliv on SL65...so have to drive the SL65 at 65MPH around SF freeways when it arrives almost criminal to drive an SL65 at 65MPH....maybe I'll go a few MPH over 65 every once in a while )

Thx for very helpful input.

Glad that I could help you with the leather issue - have seen it on a 40th anniv. Carrera recently.

Is it definitive that you cannot pick up the SL in Germany? If you want to, I might ask at MB in Germany for you. Anyways, I suppose it will be to late now anyhow, won't it? Car is probably on its way to SF already...

I check back on the leatered vents, haven't seen them for quite a while. I remember them at the Porsche salesroom next to their HQ in Stuttgart, but this is almost two years back. I try to get to my Porsche dealer and take a look at it, if they have some examples. Maybe that's a bit beyond the limit though, and if you keep the car only for a few month I wouldn't care too much either!

Something different: when is the best time to go to SF and area around - temperature and tourist wise..?

Surprise, surprise....called P dealer yest to make sure Natural Gray leather and small leather package added....and salesman told me computer is no longer accepting changes, that order now has build number; salesman indicates that means car is prob going into production within next month or so. So maybe that Nov build is now a late Aug-early Sept build? Too bad I couldn't make those changes, but definitely like earlier delivery.

On 65, thx for offer of help, but I suspect it's too late (and have made other plans for Aug).

On SF region, weather is fairly simple pattern: 2 major seasons and regional climates. Winter (Dec-Mar) is rainy season, w/many cloudy-rainy days w/temps in low 60sF. Rest of year is when SF (and LA) earn their reputation for phenomenal weather. The city of SF has many days w/high of 65 or so and no precipitation, fair amount sun (aside from eve and AM fog). Rest of relevant, noncoastal SF region tends to have more LA-like weather, w/much less fog and endless sunny days w/temps in mid 70s-80s (w/low humidity). Key tourist regions are city of SF (phenom restaurants, weak/nonexistent nightlife, stunning natural setting); Napa (wine country, arguably one of world's best restaurants (French Laundry), and spectacular roads); and Pebble Beach (golfer's mecca). Definitely great region both to live and visit for car, food&wine and golf/outdoor enthusiasts. For serious nightlife (of scale making NYC look sleepy and primitive), head to Vegas (1 hr flt from SF)....where SF and LA tend to go for hard-core play.

Wow, that was one great post.

Sorry that you have to live without the Natural leather. What car ar you driving right now, by the way?

Thanks for the detailed info about SF region. California is definately the place I'd love to go when travelling to the US. Sou you're saying there are not too much places for night-life? What about LA?
    Have been to NYC, Florida and quite a while in the Mid-West...
    Now I just need time and a nice accompaniment to go...

Remember most people use the digital speed info....red's fine

What about red seats?? I think they look wonderful with a black exterior and since your going through with the red/black theme I think they will be awesome...

Does Porsche offer red leather seats? or do you have to go out and buy the GT3 bucket seats in red??

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM