Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

CGT Cool Thread

Check out the link/thread below. Great read guys.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=230&t=1735131

Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

Re: CGT Cool Thread

throt:

Check out the link/thread below. Great read guys.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=230&t=1735131

Smiley

My departed CGT had an engine-out service before I sold it.

I failed to notice the gearbox cover padlock when I inspected the innards during service.

Learn something new daily Smiley

--

Mike

918 Spyder + 991 GT3 RS +Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

You sold it, wow.. Must been a big decision...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

He got a 918 to replace it, not that hard a decision...

SciFrog:

I think Mike could have kept both but apparently decided against it... Anyway, the 918 is amazing, so i get it. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Cool thread, absolute dream car for me.

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

RC:
    SciFrog:

I think Mike could have kept both but apparently decided against it... Anyway, the 918 is amazing, so i get it. Smiley

Wow,,, imagine that. Just the 2 of them Smiley...CGT, definitely for the one with a hairy chest Smiley...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Rode in a cousin's CGT years ago; the thing that stuck in my mind was the valve gear train noise coming into the cabin. Race car like; mechanical; "unrefined" by production car standards. A keeper. Unfortunately, he did not.

KMM:

Rode in a cousin's CGT years ago; the thing that stuck in my mind was the valve gear train noise coming into the cabin. Race car like; mechanical; "unrefined" by production car standards. A keeper. Unfortunately, he did not.

Hahaha.

When I took delivery of the CGT in 2005, I asked my wife of what car did it remind her.  

She said, "The 962".  Smiley    Based on the sounds it made. 

I sold the CGT because the 918 doesn't always feel like it's trying to kill me.  The Carrera GT sort of always let me know it was in charge, not me.  Even Bobby Rahal told me that, "Those things oversteer like crazy!"

The 918 is 20 mph faster on the back straight at Mid-Ohio and it corners at another level, higher than the CGT.

Yes, I could have kept both, but they are so similar that I chose to keep the one that was more "fun" to drive.

--

Mike

918 Spyder + 991 GT3 RS +Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

Smartkiss

To this day I don't think there is a better sounding car than the CGT. Literally feel like your sitting in a Formula one car. The sound is to die for.kiss

--

Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great.

nberry:

To this day I don't think there is a better sounding car than the CGT. Literally feel like your sitting in a Formula one car. The sound is to die for.kiss

R8...Smiley or Huracan (even CGT owners agreed, met with a couple of them)...Lexus LFA (oh boy...what a sound)...Aventador...and I think thats it. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

W8MM:
    KMM:

Hahaha.

When I took delivery of the CGT in 2005, I asked my wife of what car did it remind her.  

I sold the CGT because the 918 doesn't always feel like it's trying to kill me.  The Carrera GT sort of always let me know it was in charge, not me.  Even Bobby Rahal told me that, "Those things oversteer like crazy!"

The 918 is 20 mph faster on the back straight at Mid-Ohio and it corners at another level, higher than the CGT.

Yes, I could have kept both, but they are so similar that I chose to keep the one that was more "fun" to drive.

You forgot to mention you don't quite fit inside the CGT, the only way to fit you inside properly is to chop you up in pieces.

--

W8MM:

Very smart decision. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Whoopsy:
    W8MM:
    KMM:

Hahaha.

You forgot to mention you don't quite fit inside the CGT, the only way to fit you inside properly is to chop you up in pieces.

Smiley Smiley Yep, Mike is quite the tall guy...

--

RC:
    nberry:

R8...Smiley or Huracan (even CGT owners agreed, met with a couple of them)...Lexus LFA (oh boy...what a sound)...Aventador...and I think thats it. Smiley

R8, Aventador?? Really? Utter nonsense.  The Lexus LFA certainly is a worthy sound competitor.kiss

--

nberry:
    RC:
    nberry:

R8, Aventador?? Really? Utter nonsense.  The Lexus LFA certainly is a worthy sound competitor.kiss

--

No nonsense. Smiley

You need to be careful with your "sound assessments" since many CGT owners, especially in the US, have kind of straight piped their cars...many don't have stock exhaust systems.

Foto-28.06.17,-11-32-10-(1)_preview.jpg

--

Nope, no one on RT is ever biased towards the cars they own lol

R8 vs CGT in exhaust noise? Hmmmm... 

noone1:

Nope, no one on RT is ever biased towards the cars they own lol

Like I said before, most CGTs I know are straight piped and many people don't realize that. Smiley 

Also, the R8 4S (new one) doesn't sound anything like the R8 42 (old one). The new one is louder. Smiley Also the reason why a couple of hundreds of cars were recently stuck in port in the US for months(!). They were too loud and needed a software update to comply with US laws. Unbelievable but true. I still have the "original" one, manufactured in April 2016, no more software updates, my car has even Performance auto mode. Smiley

--

You're missing the boat. The F1 sound comes from the engine. The actually exhaust has little to do with the sound.kiss

FWIW, the CGT I drove was stock.

--

noone1:

The R8 sounds great, but not like a Carrera GT. Sound is subjective, but to me the Carrera GT is the most sexy sounding car. Ever.

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Another R8 thread indecision...

Never hear my exhaust. Have my Boney M and ABBA tracks cranked up too high ....blush....

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

throt:

www.Renn8.com

throt:

Never hear my exhaust. Have my Boney M and ABBA tracks cranked up too high ....blush....

We have the same taste bro. Shirt open to the fourth button, chest curls conditioned, shades on the face and it is "Daddy Cool" until late night... Smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

nberry:
    RC:
    nberry:

I'd nominate the Zonda R as a competitor too. That thing sounds insane going down a straight. 

bluelines:
    throt:

www.Renn8.com

throt:

We have the same taste bro. Shirt open to the fourth button, chest curls conditioned, shades on the face and it is "Daddy Cool" until late night... Smiley

Smiley,,,, 

You know that baby. And the babes love us too Smiley..

Sweet evening to you and all of yours Smiley Smiley....

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

RC:
    Whoopsy:
    W8MM:
    KMM:

Hahaha.

Smiley Smiley Yep, Mike is quite the tall guy...

The interior dimensions of the CGT and 918 are quite similar.  The only "improvement" is the height-adjustable seats (for my wife as passenger).

I could never successfully heel-and-toe down-shift the CGT, even though it has the most leg room of any Porsche I had driven to that point.  My legs are too long to be able to contort them in a comfortable way.

The 2-pedal PDK of the 918 won me over before I ever drove it because I knew what was in store for my legs.

2-pedal driving plus non-controversial yaw behavior are so much better than the CGT that I can hardly say how much. 

Never mind the almost 300 extra horsepower and all-wheel drive.
    --

Mike

bluelines:
    noone1:

The R8 sounds great, but not like a Carrera GT. Sound is subjective, but to me the Carrera GT is the most sexy sounding car. Ever.

The Carrera GT has a higher pitch sound vs the R8, especially in the higher rev range but the sound is not better or louder (unless the car is straight piped). The LFA is still the sound king in the V10 department and I cannot cannot really believe it is street legal. Smiley  I hear the CGT and the R8 in comparison basically every week, incl. the owner of the CGT. One reason why he ordered a Huracan Performante Spyder (see photo from the day the car arrived).

hps.jpg

--

I looked at a Performante. It was white with the gold rims. Really beautiful piece of artwork blush..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:

I looked at a Performante. It was white with the gold rims. Really beautiful piece of artwork blush..

I love the Performante but I'm not convinced with the Performante Spyder, the rear wing just doesn't really fit this car, especially when the top is open. Just my opinion...my buddy loves it. I may get the chance to drive the car once he ran it in (may take a while, this guy has over a dozen cars... Smiley), he is a bit anal about who drives the car first, never bought a used car.

--

Haha,, don’t blame him..

Let me know what you think of you get a go. Does he have Lambo version of comfy seats or the full bucket race seats?..The full buckets are rock hard, hope your arse will take it indecision..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763869 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436189 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260904 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257863 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82579 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876594 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808553 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM