Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

Lars997:
    rhino:

I agree with Whoopsy in that the R8 is playing in a segment Audi should not be in. They should leave that to Porsche and the 960.

And Porsche is playing with its Panamera in the VW Passat segment and with its Cayenne in the Touareg segment. 

So - quid pro quo Smiley

Smiley Smiley Yes, Cayenne and Panamera were developed before they (Porsche) joined the VW Group.

Now they (VW Group) have to deal with Porsche's success in this segment (SUV, sedans) because they cannot stop producing the cars Porsche sells best (SUVs). Smiley

The solution (Audi takes care of SUV/sedan development, Porsche takes care of sportscar development) is actually quite ingenious but I wonder how well it is going to work when there are two different brands and their products sometimes collide quite strongly. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

What can you tune those turbo v6s to?

noone1:

What can you tune those turbo v6s to?

Around 500 hp are easily possible (for the 450 hp version, RS5 for example) without any major mods.

ABT offers a 510 hp kit but recommends an additional intercooler kit for this tuning.

Price is around 6000 EUR for the power tuning and 1700 EUR for the intercooler, all prices including install and VAT.

So I guess tuning a V6 Biturbo R8 wouldn't the best idea, if the car has around 500 hp.

Tuners have a lot of experience with those supercharger and turbo kits for the V10. The turbo kits seem to be better for gigantic power increases (way over 1000 hp and more) but also require a lot of hardware changes to cope with the power (like for example a new clutch disc, etc.). The supercharger kits are not that "demanding" and offer a good performance increase. Looking at the numbers however, I think that those 800 hp VF engineering claims may be true but the car performs more like a 700 hp car to be honest. Smiley I guess just adding a supercharger isn't really the ideal performance increase method.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Smiley Smiley Yes, Cayenne and Panamera were developed before they (Porsche) joined the VW Group.

The Cayenne and the Touareg  was developed together even before the groups joined. Matter in fact in the first generation they been almost similar

The solution (Audi takes care of SUV/sedan development, Porsche takes care of sportscar development) is actually quite ingenious but I wonder how well it is going to work when there are two different brands and their products sometimes collide quite strongly. 

Dont forget Lambo as part of the group. The question should not be Porsche or Audi, it should be Lambo or Audi, why 2 of the same cars with different bodies? Porsche is different, its iconiq. It always keeps his rear engine, it always stays minimalistic (Porsche design like). Lambo and Audi? The difference here is the image. And the image is why the Lambo is more expensive and in the same time the image is why people choose the Audi and stay off the Lambo.

Very interesting combination of 3 different VW-Sportcars!

Lars997:

The Cayenne and the Touareg  was developed together even before the groups joined. Matter in fact in the first generation they been almost similar

Dont forget Lambo as part of the group. The question should not be Porsche or Audi, it should be Lambo or Audi, why 2 of the same cars with different bodies? Porsche is different, its iconiq. It always keeps his rear engine, it always stays minimalistic (Porsche design like). Lambo and Audi? The difference here is the image. And the image is why the Lambo is more expensive and in the same time the image is why people choose the Audi and stay off the Lambo.

I had a Cayenne turbo gen I - I just opened few parts of the car - on each was a VW brand sign - I had the feeling that 80% of the car was Touareg

--

AM

Lars997:

Actually, the Touareg was developed by Porsche for VW and VW paid 200 Mio. for it and allowed Porsche to share the platform and many parts (same suppliers or even same parts from VW). I remember this pretty well because VW engineers weren't allowed to work in Weissach, so VW opened a small facility near by for that purpose. Smiley I know that many believe that the Touareg is a VW development, generously shared with Porsche but it was the other way around.

Lamborghini and Porsche are a good combo, Audi doesn't fit in there anywhere in my opinion. The R8 made somehow sense when Porsche wasn't part of VW Group (VW saw an opportunity here to sell more cars of the platform shared with Lamborghini, thus lowering production cost substantially, for both models, the R8 and the Gallardo) but after Porsche joined, things looked differently of course. Porsche taking care of the sportscars in the VW Group family is a good idea but I just hope that the typical Porsche objectification won't affect Lamborghini. This is a brand which needs to stay exotic. The Urus looks nice now because it is the first car using the Coupe shape but once the Cayenne version, the Q8 (I assume this will be the one), etc. show up, the Urus won't be that special anymore, even if the exterior design suggests something else.

--

You are right, that Porsche did the main development for Touareg. I was talking about the production. The production was in Bratislava and mainly controlled by VW.

--

AM

ALDO:

You are right, that Porsche did the main development for Touareg. I was talking about the production. The production was in Bratislava and mainly controlled by VW.

I know, I was replying to Lars. Smiley

Yes, many parts in the first Cayenne had a VW logo on them, some people were pretty irritated by that.

--

RC:
    ALDO:

I know, I was replying to Lars. Smiley

Yes, many parts in the first Cayenne had a VW logo on them, some people were pretty irritated by that.

I don't see a difference with the new one in term of strategy and you can add the URUS in the game. All VW parts.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 arriving, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

Well, using VW parts isn't necessarily a bad thing. 

Also, Audi is responsible for SUV development in the VW Group now and this is definitely not a bad thing. Their SUVs have always been top notch, even compared to the competition.

--

I had 2 sensors (steering wheel module and steering column) replaced on my 7.2 GT3 recently .. both had Cayenne part numbers

Smithsonian Channel - Superar Superbuild documentary

Episode 7 - March 11 2018 - Audi R8 (latest model)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/audi-r8/id1330701996?i=1355345784 (direct link for iTunes USA)

--

Autocar, RWS vs GT3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5LYR1962k

DuckieRS:

Autocar, RWS vs GT3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5LYR1962k

Ridiculous review, they review a throttled R8 model which has been put on the market for the sake of having an entry level R8 in the model portfolio. Since the engine of the R8 RWS is the same (up to the last bolt) as the one used in the V10 and V10 Plus, the software is the culprit limiting the power output and of course influencing the "snappiness" of the engine. Also, Audi basically used the V10 Plus chassis in the RWS, which is better than the V10 chassis (uses smaller diameter swaybars and a different dampening setup) but they haven't really tuned it in any way. They offer an excellent new coilover kit through Audi Performance Parts but this kit isn't available yet and it isn't standard on the RWS.

Speaking of engines: The R8 engine is the same used in the R8 race cars. Up to the last bolt. Only the injection system is slightly different to meat regulations. When did Porsche race the current 4.0 l GT3 engine? Smiley My Audi mechanic told me that he never had a broken V10 engine since the new R8 came out in 2016. Zero. One of the biggest dealerships in Germany. This engine is bullet proof if treated right and maintained well. It is so good that after racing it for a while, unlike many other racing engines, they don't have to re-built it. Impressive.

Bottom line is: This comparison doesn't make sense since the RWS isn't a track machine, sorry to say that.

Btw: My (German) dealer still has one available in Daytona Grey and wants to get rid of it but the problem is that the car is optioned well and nobody wants it (MSRP is 170k EUR). Smiley

--

Soon you can race against yourself indecision

https://youtu.be/n7qgOll6rqQ

--

Conny997:

Soon you can race against yourself indecision

https://youtu.be/n7qgOll6rqQ

Smiley Smiley Can't wait to get my E63 S...delivery should be end of May or latest early June.

I just hope nothing goes wrong with the planned production early May because starting with June production, Mercedes starts to install engines with particulate filters (official information from AMG when I asked...unbelievable that they actually replied). I told my sales guy I don't want a car with particulate filter and he assured me my car is planned (fixed) for early May production but there have been quite some delays in E-class production here and there, so I'm still a bit anxious. 

--

Well, till now we don't know if the particulate filter will retract the sound if I'm not wrong. Same goes to the Audi R8 Plus if a 2. generation will show up. At least I hope so

--

Autocar review was awful .. R8 reviewer had nothing useful or interesting to say

It's the same R8 as they reviewed years ago. What new things would you expect them to say?

noone1:

It's the same R8 as they reviewed years ago. What new things would you expect them to say?

Hmm...you know that the 42 and 4S don't have a single bolt in common?! 😜

--

It's the 540hp  that has always been out, and the normal version can already put most of the powee to the rear, so...

noone1:

It's the 540hp  that has always been out, and the normal version can already put most of the powee to the rear, so...

V10 engine in 42 and 4S don't share a single bolt, the engine has been completely redesigned to be used in the LMS race car, so a re-built every couple of dozens racing hours isn't necessary anymore (cost saving and reliability).

--

RC:
    noone1:

V10 engine in 42 and 4S don't share a single bolt, the engine has been completely redesigned to be used in the LMS race car, so a re-built every couple of dozens racing hours isn't necessary anymore (cost saving and reliability).

Are you saying the Audi RWS uses the engine from the last gen R8?

I'm saying that there is probably nothing of interesting to say about the R8 RWS since it's just a normal R8 with less power. It has a little less weight, little less power, and the normal AWD model can already put most power to the rear wheels anyway.

Another comparison, Pistonheads this time: https://www.pistonheads.com/features/ph-features/audi-r8-rws-vs-porsche-911-gt3/37735

(posting it, doesn't mean agreeing with every word, but must admit that the RWS is starting to catch my interest)

DuckieRS:

Another comparison, Pistonheads this time: https://www.pistonheads.com/features/ph-features/audi-r8-rws-vs-porsche-911-gt3/37735

(posting it, doesn't mean agreeing with every word, but must admit that the RWS is starting to catch my interest)

Journalists are overly enthusiastic with the RWS, maybe also because Audi is "pushing" it hard. Smiley Smiley

No doubt, it is a great car but the lack of AWD doesn't make it faster or more agile, it makes it basically only...cheaper. Smiley

--

kiss Same here. I would prefer the 610 hp AWD over the RWS any time even if the offer for the RWS seems to be very tempting.

--

Update on my oil cooler issue: Apparently it isn't the oil cooler after all. Mechanic discovered a leaking duct and he replaced it. Afterwards, he noticed a small fissure in the oil pump, so he had to replace the oil pump.

Now comes the good part about having an Audi: They ordered the oil pump yesterday in the afternoon and it arrived this morning. Lamborghini? A week. angry

--

RC:

Update on my oil cooler issue: Apparently it isn't the oil cooler after all. Mechanic discovered a leaking duct and he replaced it. Afterwards, he noticed a small fissure in the oil pump, so he had to replace the oil pump.

Now comes the good part about having an Audi: They ordered the oil pump yesterday in the afternoon and it arrived this morning. Lamborghini? A week. angry

the lambo one will transit from Germany to Italy, then rebadged, then ship back to Germany Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

the-missile:
    RC:

the lambo one will transit from Germany to Italy, then rebadged, then ship back to Germany Smiley

Smiley My guess as well... Smiley

It was quite worse with the windshield: I had a damaged windshield last year, a stone (tennis ball size, no kidding) hit my windshield on the Autobahn at around 200 kph, I was lucky it hit the front hood first, lost inertia and then hit the windshield in the lower part, putting a big hole(!) in it. The front hood is protected with a clear bra (wrap), so no damage (no dent, no paint damage, lucky me, only the clear bra was a little bit damaged).

Got the windshield replaced the next day. While waiting for my bill, the parts guy from my dealer showed up to ask about my insurance (insurance pays for it, so he didn't know if the bill goes to them...). During the short discussion, he told me that I'm lucky I have no Huracan because the Huracan windshields were on a 6 weeks backorder. Smiley The Audi parts guy is also the Lambo parts guy at my dealership (they sell Audis and Lambos).

--

RC:
    During the short discussion, he told me that I'm lucky I have no Huracan because the Huracan windshields were on a 6 weeks backorder. Smiley The Audi parts guy is also the Lambo parts guy at my dealership (they sell Audis and Lambos).

6 weeks for the same part...Smiley the customer needs to understand the car is exotic Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    661275 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    400953 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254565 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229014 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59363 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4374 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853329 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761444 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM