Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Mercedes C63 S AMG Convertible and GLC 43 AMG test drives (soon)

indecision

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

bluelines:
    AP911:

Actually, Tablets existed in the 90s. Here is an example from Toshiba:

It has a thinner frame than the Mercedes navigation display Smiley

Smiley

spudgun:

Shame every mercedes has a tablet from the nineties on their dash. Can't believe people buy new cars with such monstrosities in plain sight. It's 2017 enlightened

1505154169039IMG_0794.JPG

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

This is actually the only thing I dislike in the C63 and GLC but I buy this car for driving, not for using a tablet from the 90s. Smiley Smiley Btw: These monstrosities have no touch display. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

From March onwards the C-Class will have the dash of the E-Class (two big screens no tablet). I guess that the Coupe will receive it likewise soon. The GLC probably has to wait another 12 months until it will be facelifted

Lars997:

From March onwards the C-Class will have the dash of the E-Class (two big screens no tablet). I guess that the Coupe will receive it likewise soon. The GLC probably has to wait another 12 months until it will be facelifted

This could be a problem...for my wife. She hates that digital dash. Smiley Good you told me, tomorrow I am going to pick up that C63 Cab for the test-drive, will ask my sales guy. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Christian, I can't imagine you Porscheless. That GLC is not you. Sloppy steering, low threshold of digital nanny intervention etc... Get the Cayenne, any Cayenne, it's dynamics suit you. If you get that benz after 72hrs you will feel like a hostage.enlightened Just saying..... 

JimFlat6:

Christian, I can't imagine you Porscheless. That GLC is not you. Sloppy steering, low threshold of digital nanny intervention etc... Get the Cayenne, any Cayenne, it's dynamics suit you. If you get that benz after 72hrs you will feel like a hostage.enlightened Just saying..... 

Drive a GLC 43 AMG, feels and drives very sporty, similar to Macan Turbo. I wrote this in my short driving report. There is nothing sloppy about the steering and you seem to forget that my wife has a Cayenne S Diesel and compared to that GLC 43 I drove, it feels like a G class. LOL 

I love AMG‘s V8 4.0 Biturbo since it still sounds like a V8. The GLC63 sounds like a very good choice as a family SUV. Relatively cheap to get and maintain and I‘ll have that C63 Cab for some topless fun. Then there is the R8, I am actually very happy. Porsche doesn‘t offer me anything I badly want right now and it makes me sad to admit it.

--

I thought you would be all over the GT2RS Christian? Do I have to go to that thread to find out why you don't want one? 

WAY:

I thought you would be all over the GT2RS Christian? Do I have to go to that thread to find out why you don't want one? 

You have been away for too long.

He is memorized by the R8 and infected every thread with R8 content. Smiley

So not a surprise that he wants Mercedes too.

--

Whoopsy:
    WAY:

Oh man, I better hang around more often. Otherwise the next time I log in he might be infecting every thread with Volvos ! Ok maybe Polestar. I'll give him some credit. Smiley

WAY:

I was thinking of getting one, even secured one (a production slot), even had the lease offer (quite good one actually but not from Porsche Financial, a private lease company my dealer works with on various occasions) with all details but then decided to back off. Reason? I cannot really afford keeping the car (according to my wife...and my bank statement Smiley Smiley) and flipping it? Not my thing, also too risky for me (I have zero experience in doing that) and...most importantly...what would have happened if I actually...liked the car?! Smiley I know me, would have been difficult to part with it. Smiley

Long story short: No, I'm not getting one. I am very very happy with my R8 (I am still surprised myself I am, usually I get bored fast) and the C63 is going to be my wife's(!) car, not mine. The GLC63 is supposed to be my daily driver, replacing the Mini JCW (which I started to hate Smiley). My wife would be happy with a C43 as well but since I have to drive this car too from time to time, it has to be the C63.  Smiley

--

Whoopsy:
    WAY:

Smiley Guys, you need not only to read my posts, you need to understand them. Smiley

The C63 is my wife's car (she wants a sporty convertible with more passenger room in the rear (kids) and a somewhat acceptable trunk space). She drove a C63 convertible rental in Mallorca (Spain) and fell in love with the car. I actually wanted her to get a 991.2 or 992.1 convertible but she suddenly doesn't want a Porsche anymore, maybe also because the C63 convertible is much cheaper (lease). Since she has to pay the bill... Smiley

The GLC63 is supposed to be my daily driver and family car (for those rare occasions we actually do a family trip by car again). I like the idea of a V8 Biturbo in such a small package. For the lease cost of a GLC63 I would probably get a new  Cayenne as well...a Cayenne Diesel (soon to come). Smiley

My sportscar favorites right now are my R8 (of course Smiley), the Huracan Performante, the 488 GTB (seriously), the McLaren 720S (exhaust sound still sucks) and maybe...maybe...the GT2 RS (haven't driven it yet, so no idea how good or bad it is). I also like the GT3 a lot and would have (maybe) considered getting the Touring version with PDK and rear seats (instead of the GLC...no, no kidding). Since Porsche decided not to go this route (for now), I have no choice.

Everything clear now?! Smiley Smiley

There is no Mercedes sportscar I really would want for me right now, not even the AMG GT R (and I really had a good look at one at my dealer...showroom car...not for sale, they cannot even make an offer until November, for whatever reason but I don't care anyway).

--

Mercedes C63 S Convertible driving report (short) after driving it yesterday for a couple of hours and around 150 km:

- Great looking car, front lights could be a bit more refined but I guess this has been left over for the facelift. I love the wider fenders in the rear, car looks really wide and planted. You can see immediately this is no ordinary C class convertible (which can be a good or bad thing).

- Interior feels a bit cheap for a 125k EUR car, just saying. I'd say that the 991.2 has a potentially higher interior quality (materials like leather, finish, etc.) but I'm fine with it. Quality level maybe at early 991.1 models, no kidding.

- Engine has a noticeable turbo lag, even in Race mode. Comfort mode sucks a little bit (is very comfortable though) and surprisingly, it provides the best sound since it keeps the rev figures low (upshifts fast), especially if you use the individual I* setting, setting the sport exhaust to Sport + mode. In Sport and especially Sport+ mode, throttle response is OK and the turbo lag is acceptable but like I said, it is always there...the lag. Not even close to the fantastic throttle/engine response of a new R8 (which is also way better than on my n/a 991.1 C4 GTS Cab for example). As much as I like this engine for it's sound and power, I would never ever get a sportscar from Mercedes with this engine for myself. I haven't driven the AMG GT R yet but I cannot imagine throttle response is much better than in the C63 with Race mode.

- Engine/exhaust (sport exhaust) sound is really good, not overwhelming though. Not even close to the sound my former C63 PP Coupe (previous generation with n/a engine) produced but still very nice (US V8 muscle car like) and noticeable, inside and outside. It is not a very annoying V8 sound, so very pleasant but like I said, not extremely loud. People turn their heads though (even if you drive slowly through the city), so...great sound but a bit muted (for me). Probably the best V8 turbo sound on the market though.

- Steering feel is surprisingly good but...a tiny bit detached for my taste but still direct enough to be enjoyable. Feels best in Sport+ and Race modes.

- Chassis is a bit too comfy for my taste, there is also noticeable side roll but surprisingly, it doesn't bother the driver too much. It is a bit weird: Once you enter a curve, you notice a bit of side roll but then, the rest of the (curve) ride is pretty stiff and sporty. It is a slightly unusual feel but I cannot say I hate it. Not even close to the go-kart feel of my R8 though and the 991.1 C4 GTS Cab (PDCC) also feels(!) better...or maybe I should say sportier. Reachable curve speeds are quite high though, so I think AMG used this setup intentionally to offer comfort for those who enjoy it, without compromising sportiness too much though. I wish the car had a bit more go-kart feel but it is a classic convertible GT, so maybe AMG chose the right setup for this kind of car.

- Interior room is pretty big and rear seat passengers can be happy as well. Classic GT coupe with comfy rear seats, I think my wife will be happy. 

- Traction can be an issue from time to time but mostly in Sport+ and Race modes. I tried to do some stupid stuff in Comfort mode (knowing that my wife sometimes has a jerky steering control angry) but the car is stable and the rear barely moves. It was a bit wet on the road at times but in Comfort mode, everything was in the green, the ESP came in strongly and did what it is supposed to do without provoking a serious head shake. Very smooth setup. Sport+ and Race mode should be avoided on wet pavement though, the rear was stepping out quite a lot(!), not a good idea in the wet. In Sport mode, the car is quite controllable, even in the wet, so everything is good. Even on dry pavement, there were serious traction issues but mainly if I was using kickdown (automatic). If you keep your throttle foot gentle, there are no major traction issues in Comfort or Sport mode. 

- The automatic works well and fast, using manual mode can be fun as well (unlike in the GLC43 AMG where manual mode sucked big time). With that torquey V8 Biturbo though, I would drive this car in auto mode. Just perfect!

- Fuel consumption was quite high (around 17 l / 100 km) but I drove the car mainly in the city. Changed driving modes quite often, so... Didn't do a high speed drive on the Autobahn (weather was rainy and lots of traffic in the afternoon), so I guess you can easily hit over 20 liters / 100 km if you go full throttle on the Autobahn. Since you can drive this car in Comfort and auto mode at quite low rev figures in the city, I think that the fuel consumption can be lowered substantially if you don't rev the engine too high.

Verdict: Great GT convertible, very nice sounding engine (V8 muscle car style with a deep growl), torquey, sporty and even quite comfortable with lots of interior room and an acceptable trunk (if the top is closed). I'm not too fond of the various traction issues though, even if it is less intrusive and annoying than I thought it would be. The chassis also feels a bit too comfortable for my taste (my daughter said it feels a bit like in a "boat" and she wasn't that wrong) but surprisingly, the lack of a go-kart feel doesn't really mean that the car is slow in curves. It just feels...different. 

Would I ever get the C63 S Convertible for myself? To be honest here: No. Actually, I tried to talk to my wife and wanted her to re-think her decision but, if you are married, I guess you know how this ended. angry indecision I like the car but it is nothing I would ever consider buying. Maybe with AWD and a firmer (go-kart like) chassis setup. Time for a C63 GT maybe?  As a comfy, nice sounding and very fast convertible, this car is perfect though.

--

Great report thanks.kiss

Just one question, as you mentioned very often "Go-Kart-Like"...when was your last seat-time in a kart?

I had many Lotus Elises and right now I have as a DD a Mini R56 GP - and I would never say that this car drives anything near my own CRG-Race-Kart...I would say nothing drives near a Kart.

I would describe this feeling, what you want, as a race-CAR-feeling, but not like a Kart.

But I still have to drive a R8 V10 Plus...smiley

Blueflame

blueflame:

Great report thanks.kiss

Just one question, as you mentioned very often "Go-Kart-Like"...when was your last seat-time in a kart?

Two weeks or so ago...Las Vegas has a nice indoor kart track, enjoyed it quite a lot (speeds could have been higher though, karts were restricted). My son loved it... Smiley

I had many Lotus Elises and right now I have as a DD a Mini R56 GP - and I would never say that this car drives anything near my own CRG-Race-Kart...I would say nothing drives near a Kart.

The R8 comes pretty close to a go-kart feel (this doesn't mean it is a formula 1 racer Smiley), more than my former 991.1 Turbo S for example and actually maybe slightly more than a GT3 RS (991.1). It is about how the front axle feels...and of course side roll.

I would describe this feeling, what you want, as a race-CAR-feeling, but not like a Kart.

I don't know, I think that you should try a R8 (V10 Plus). Smiley

But I still have to drive a R8 V10 Plus...smiley

Blueflame

Well, you know what to do now... Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

C class facelift (C63 pics not available yet) photos...headlights and new digital speedo/entertainment system displays.

2048_Genf-2018-344.jpg
    2048_Genf-2018-405.jpg
    2048_Genf-2018-409.jpg
    2048_Genf-2018-408.jpg
    2048_Genf-2018-413.jpg
    2048_Genf-2018-442.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Nice driver's display, but wtf is up with Mercedes and their tablets? Can they really not integrate a display better than that? I don't even know where you can get a tablet with bezels that big anymore.

I would have hoped for a stronger change. On the other hand side, as I own the current model its also a relief not having had too much of a change.

noone1:

Nice driver's display, but wtf is up with Mercedes and their tablets? Can they really not integrate a display better than that? I don't even know where you can get a tablet with bezels that big anymore.

Yep, not very stylish. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Lars997:

I would have hoped for a stronger change. On the other hand side, as I own the current model its also a relief not having had too much of a change.

Smiley I still don't know how the new C63 will look alike or what changes it will have? So far, my dealer told me no power upgrade at all (which is hard to believe but possible) but Panamericana grille and a few minor tweaks to the chassis. I wish they would offer AWD now but apparently not possible (it simply doesn't fit because of the longer engine).

--

The C43 has now the AMG one-bar grill, too

Apparently 2018

is that the facelift? wow, can't see it angry

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 arriving, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

They all look the same. C class E class...

Same sausage, different lengths devil

Upsa:

Smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Upsa:

I thought thickness is more important? Smiley  Smiley

--

RC:
    Upsa:

Says the one with the short one Smiley

Lars997:
    RC:
    Upsa:

Mine is longer than yours. Smiley And thicker (wider) too. Smiley

--

RC:
    Lars997:
    RC:
    Upsa:

Mine is longer than yours. Smiley And thicker (wider) too. Smiley

SmileySmileySmileySmileySmiley

Just in case there is some misunderstanding...I was referring to your C class and my E class.  

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752939 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430616 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258547 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255434 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868210 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801748 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM