Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

R8 Spyder proportions are awful ..

sfo:

R8 Spyder proportions are awful ..

No way - not at all. The Spyder looks like super sports car. Very sexy dimensions. I like the short overhangs, I like that you are sitting in the middle of the car. It is just right!

The new emission limits in europe beginning first september 2018 will be for all cars registered first time after this date. The date of type certification doesn't matter at this date anymore.
    September 2017 to end of August 2018 is the last time cars with old type certifications can be registered. Beginning September 2017 all new type certifications have to comply with the new limits. One year time to bring all cars with old certifications to the new limits. This time ends August 31 2018.

So it will be very unlikely that the facelift R8 will come without particulate filter.

This is the reason why the production of all N/A cars at Porsche for the european market will stop around june/july.

--

daily (no fun): BMW 430d
    for fun: Porsche Boxster GTS

acky:

This is the reason why the production of all N/A cars at Porsche for the european market will stop around june/july.

--

Why stop ? Can't they just add a particule filter so to meet the new emissions ?

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

acky:

The new emission limits in europe beginning first september 2018 will be for all cars registered first time after this date. The date of type certification doesn't matter at this date anymore.
    September 2017 to end of August 2018 is the last time cars with old type certifications can be registered. Beginning September 2017 all new type certifications have to comply with the new limits. One year time to bring all cars with old certifications to the new limits. This time ends August 31 2018.

So it will be very unlikely that the facelift R8 will come without particulate filter.

--

This is why the R8 facelift will very likely come this year instead of next year, makes the certification process for the facelift easier. It is however pretty sure that the facelift is getting that particulate filter, meaning that the sound will change, hopefully not in a very bad way.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Gnil:
    acky:

--

Why stop ? Can't they just add a particule filter so to meet the new emissions ?

Not that easy I'm afraid but I may have good news in these regards: I just heard yesterday that Porsche is seriously considering using a n/a engine for the 992 GT3 as well. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    Gnil:
    acky:

--

using a n/a engine for the 992 GT3 as well. Smiley

Now, that has to be the last indecision...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

throt:
    RC:
    Gnil:
    acky:

--

Smiley I know, I know... Smiley The problem is that the rumor mill is always working into the "most reasonable direction" only and the most reasonable action was that the 992 isn't getting a regular n/a engine engine, only maybe in one or two special edition models. Also, this isn't really written in stone yet since a lot can change (again)...emissions laws and all.

One thing is for sure though: The 992 GT3 gets a particulate filter for sure, so the sound is going to be dampened in a way or another and adding future sound emissions laws in the EU, I'm afraid that... Smiley

--

throt:
    RC:

Definitely the last buddy Smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Oh boy...rental car...nobody was seriously injured (thanks god, there were three kids in that station wagon).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtUHqn3M9b8

47AEC13300000578-5226321-image-a-6_1514837920177.jpg

--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAACC8hWP0w

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf6leV8l3Tr/

indecision

--

The pops are terrible.

noone1:

The pops are terrible.

There are no pops in Performance or Comfort mode...just in Dynamic mode. Smiley

--

anyone driven the R8 RWS?

sfo:

anyone driven the R8 RWS?

Yes, a couple of weeks ago...

Chassis improved (vs. V10 with 540 hp), traction on dry roads OK (a bit worse than my 991.2 GTS Cab though), not that great in sharp turns and especially on wet roads. Car doesn't feel more nimble than my V10 Plus, probably due to the lack of dynamic steering. Personal conclusion: Nice product but AWD is a blessing in such a car, even if the RWS doesn't have massive traction issues (for example like the C63 or similar cars).

--

thanks. I like the idea of RWS, especially the much reduced price (about £13k in UK compared to V10 quattro).

sfo:

thanks. I like the idea of RWS, especially the much reduced price (about £13k in UK compared to V10 quattro).

The price is reduced, true but the car also lacks a couple of options.

You can get slightly used (5000-8000 km) V10 Plus models in Germany for around 150k, mostly cars costing way over 200k EUR. So not sure how good of a deal the RWS really is...

However, it seems to sell badly in Germany, so there are some interesting lease offers for the RWS. I think I saw 1199 EUR per month recently  (without down payment) for a 36 months lease.

--

in UK, the RWS main difference (apart from no AWD) to V10 quattro is lack of leather interior .. which costs £2k.

UK brokers offering 12% discount on RWS. Not selling in UK either,

sfo:

in UK, the RWS main difference (apart from no AWD) to V10 quattro is lack of leather interior .. which costs £2k.

UK brokers offering 12% discount on RWS. Not selling in UK either,

The RWS could have been interesting for collectors with a manual but it would cost way too much to develop a manual transmission for a limited series only.

My dealer gets 20(!) V10 Plus Spyder from an Audi Event, cars with 5000 km or so, crazy colors (according to him), so I am thinking about getting one of those. I actually wanted the facelift (coming this year already) but it gets a particulate filter and it still isn't sure if it keeps the exhaust button. Not sure I want this car, even if it has 20-25 hp more and maybe even rear wheel steering.

--

Spyder has a very tight cabin, tall folks don't fit.

you would consider an experience car? aren't they trashed hard?

sfo:

No, these specific 20 cars were used for Audi organized tours through Germany/Austria/Italy, not for the track. The GM of my dealership hand picked them (I have a pretty good connection to him, he was the GM of a Munich Porsche dealership previously) and I trust this guy. Crazy colors though (according to him), so I am a little bit cautious. 

Alternative: Facelift (coming this year). Only problem: Particulate filter and maybe a muted exhaust sound. No details yet though.

--

RC:
    sfo:

No, these specific 20 cars were used for Audi organized tours through Germany/Austria/Italy, not for the track. The GM of my dealership hand picked them (I have a pretty good connection to him, he was the GM of a Munich Porsche dealership previously) and I trust this guy. Crazy colors though (according to him), so I am a little bit cautious. 

Alternative: Facelift (coming this year). Only problem: Particulate filter and maybe a muted exhaust sound. No details yet though.

RC, how about getting on the list for an early Porsche 960 Coupe?

Boxster Coupe GTS:
    RC:
    sfo:

RC, how about getting on the list for an early Porsche 960 Coupe?

I don't think it would be a problem for me to get one but I don't want to get something I have zero details about yet. Smiley Green light, not green light, green light...then again no green light...I don't have a clue if the 960 is coming, so I won't pass on the chance to get one of the last fantastic V10 n/a cars on the market. Smiley 

The R8 facelift is supposed to get 20-30 hp more and some other goodies but since it is very likely the last R8 from Audi, I doubt they are going to go crazy on the facelift. If the sound is still OK, I will go for the facelift and if not, I keep my current R8 Coupe or go for the R8 V10 Plus Spyder (like I said, my dealer gets me a special deal on a slightly used V10 Plus Spyder but I'm not sure yet I want it and I also need to see the available colors first). 

--

I assume the RWS will not make it to the facelift?

sfo:

I assume the RWS will not make it to the facelift?

I think you assume correctly...

I have some information on the facelift but I cannot share it (yet).

If the sound suffers, I'll stick to my current R8 V10 Plus Coupe or get a V10 Plus Spyder. If the sound stays the same (not very likely though), I am highly interested in the facelift. Last V10 n/a for sure, this is 100%. Smiley

--

RC:

If the sound suffers, I'll stick to my current R8 V10 Plus Coupe or get a V10 Plus Spyder. If the sound stays the same (not very likely though), I am highly interested in the facelift. Last V10 n/a for sure, this is 100%. Smiley

Don't you think something can be done if the sound suffers? At least the facelift shares the same V10? Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:

RC:

Don't you think something can be done if the sound suffers? At least the facelift shares the same V10? Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Theoretically, yes but even now, it is very difficult to get a TÜV certification for a R8 V10 sport exhaust (most exhaust systems on the market are illegal). The only "good" sounding legal exhaust is the Capristo but it is borderline legal, meaning that if the police sends you to a sound level re-testing, you're pretty much done. Smiley 

I get stopped almost every week when I drive my R8, mostly in Munich, no fun...and this happens with the legal exhaust. Smiley One reason I do not accelerate that much in Munich because when they stop me, I loose time.

Luckily (in a sense that it doesn't take that long and they do not tow your car), Munich police is trained for this (unbelievable...they know all the tricks, they have a special task force for that in Munich), so they stop me, look under the exhaust, take a short look on the left and right with a flash light and thats it. Every time the same procedure. Smiley The police near my home is different, no issues.

Also: I hate aftermarket stuff. Smiley Not a fan (anymore).

--

That sounds horrible when they could be getting rich giving tickets for moving violations like not signaling. Sounds like the moped police that checks to missing speed limiters.  

Tickets for awesome sounding cars. What’s next? Jail for big boobs?

Leawood911:

That sounds horrible when they could be getting rich giving tickets for moving violations like not signaling. Sounds like the moped police that checks to missing speed limiters.  

Tickets for awesome sounding cars. What’s next? Jail for big boobs?

Smiley Wouldn't be surprised...

Yes, police in Germany is targeting "loud" cars and so called "posers", which is ridiculous (unless they are speeding but often, they just accelerate a little bit). The public pressure on the police has grown over the past years because people love to drive through the city and play with the throttle, etc.. I understand the issue at hand, it can be annoying if someone sits at a stop light and plays with the throttle like crazy but sometimes, the police is just picking drivers out of the traffic to find something they can ticket him for. There is a little bit of profiling happening I'm afraid because most of these drivers are young and/or with a certain ethnic background but... Smiley Smiley

I avoid fully accelerating in the city (even if I don't pass the legal speed limit) because when the police stops me, I loose time. Last time, an unmarked police car (BMW 3 series station wagon) followed me for over 8 km through the city, probably in the hope that I am doing something wrong. I noticed the car early because he kept a steady distance but the sun was already down and it was almost dark, so I didn't really know for sure. At some point, I accelerated before a curve and took the 80° or so curve at full speed and of course he lost me. Around one km further, I suddenly saw a blue light in his windshield and I knew that I had to stop. He had video recorded me when I accelerated and took the curve and he was pretty sure I did something wrong. Until he watched the video with me...the speed limit had increased from 50 kph to 80 kph (he didn't notice because it was still in the city) and exactly 50 meters before I accelerated and took that curve, there was the city end sign and the next city sign was exactly where he stopped me. Smiley I may have passed the legal speed limit by 10 kph or so (if...not sure, he wasn't directly behind me after the curve) but overall, I was driving within the legal limits. The police officer and his partner (a very young woman, she looked like 17 Smiley) was actually very nice and respectful and told me that I'm probably off the hook, also because the video recording wasn't "usable" because it happened outside the city border and then, he needs to make a longer video (300 meters or so) to get legal "proof". This whole stop took around 15 minutes (checking my car documents, showing me the video, etc.), so not very pleasant, even if everything was OK (and I never heard back from the police again).

They "target" specific cars, even if this isn't actually legal (I think). Hard to prove it.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688646 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408733 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255531 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234800 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65400 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857605 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773420 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM