Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Mission E...the future of Porsche?

How will Porsche handle interior and exterior engine sound on the Mission E?  Silent like Tesla, less soundproofing  to emphasize sounds of drivetrain, audio supplement, etc.?  Seems to me Porsche has an  interesting challenge here, given its sportscar/racing brand image. 

Wonderbar:

How will Porsche handle interior and exterior engine sound on the Mission E?  Silent like Tesla, less soundproofing  to emphasize sounds of drivetrain, audio supplement, etc.?  Seems to me Porsche has an  interesting challenge here, given its sportscar/racing brand image. 

In Tesla Model S, there is a faint whine from the electric drivetrain.  Any less sound insulation and the tire/road noise would be most unwelcome since it is the dominant sound already.

--

Mike

918 Spyder + 991 GT3 RS +Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

Thanks Mike, good point. What about the sound you will experience in the interior of the new Mission E? Do you want to hear some type of mild rumble, or any sound that evokes some type of sporty emotion? In my new Panamera Turbo, the interior sound is very quiet but I do hear a rumble as I accelerate through the gears. I’m not sure how I would feel if there were no sound at all.

W8MM:
    Wonderbar:

In Tesla Model S, there is a faint whine from the electric drivetrain.  Any less sound insulation and the tire/road noise would be most unwelcome since it is the dominant sound already.

The whine IS the engine noise for electric motors.

We can hear the whine too in electric mode in the 918. 

--

I guess I must be imagining a problem. So Whoopsy and Mike, you would be very satisfied with a Mission E as quiet as a Tesla?

Whoopsy:
    W8MM:
    Wonderbar:

The whine IS the engine noise for electric motors.

We can hear the whine too in electric mode in the 918. 

Porsche Mission E should include a "Sport" button that introduces the sounds of the Carrera GT V10 engine at full acceleration... Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiLWVuI4f0A

What the future sounds like laugh

Geez—awful.

Wonderbar:

I guess I must be imagining a problem. So Whoopsy and Mike, you would be very satisfied with a Mission E as quiet as a Tesla?

It is a problem. It's the other major problem of electric car. Don't think even Porsche has a solution to that. As there won't be a gearbox for the electric motor so it doesn't get the rev up and rev down sound from shifting.

Range actually isn't an issue if the charging problem can be solved. I don't care if the car can only go 150 miles as long as the charging stations are as populated as gas stations and takes the same time to recharge as refuelling. I lived with that 150 miles range in the Ferrari all the time and it doesn't bother me one bit as it only takes 5 mins to get another 150 miles of range.

It's depressing to think the 'future' of cars would be that whine. Like a remote control car, or a golf cart. 

--

Would rather have silence. Seems like a job for a decent noise cancelling setup.

AP911:

Jezzz ... that is aweful!!  they sound like a mobility scooter FFS 1325269639981rolleyes.gif

I guess it will take a couple of generations to get used that as normal and not miss the ICE symphony and drama since they would have not been spoiled by them in the first place like us.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:
    AP911:

Jezzz ... that is aweful!!  they sound like a mobility scooter FFS 1325269639981rolleyes.gif

I guess it will take a couple of generations to get used that as normal and not miss the ICE symphony and drama since they would have not been spoiled by them in the first place like us.

You're right....any way the Millennials will be texting while they are in autonomous  mode

Carlos from Spain:
    AP911:

In this generation, right now, electric cars with a faint whine will be the sound of outperforming the ICE car next to you at a stop.

Electric cars will be so much quicker from rest that engine noise will be considered the sound of slowness.

--

Mike

918 Spyder + 991 GT3 RS +Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

Maybe in the US were being quicker from rest is for reason amusing and important,  but when you think of driving a sportscar on a mountain road or track, you don't think of a golfcart whine, but rather of a beefy ICE engine roaring up the gears and downshifts. That will be replaced by the electrical whine no doubt since the ICE engine will not live for ever and will be replaced, but will take some time yet, for starters those that were exposed to ICE sportcars and to racecars need to be the outgoing generation.

Which brings me to another problem, it used to be that the sound of s car was associated with the characteristics of the engine and there were ordinary sounding ordinary cars and great sounding sportscars or sportycars which were a joy to listen to and instantly recognisable like flat plane V8's, screaming V10s, flat-6, etc... But now the whine of the electrical engine is pretty much the same in all engines, a EV Toyota sedan will sound the same as a EV sportscar, only the performance will differ... so another thing will be lost, the sound will no longer be part of the driving enjoyment and excitement.

--

In theory the quiet nature should actually prove possible more useful for spirited driving. You should be able to hear other things more, like road and tire noise, giving you a better idea about stuff like that.

Sound is so emotional. Imagine a world cup football match without cheering.  

Driving quickly and passionately is dangerous, thrilling, challenging—done well it’s extremely satisfying.  Sound suits the emotions of it.I certainly understand that every day driving is different, but the reminder of that passion is a vital part of the thrill of owning a fine sports car.

I think this is an absolutely fascinating topic and one which will hsve a profound effect on the perception and enjoyment of automobiles in the future

noone1:

In theory the quiet nature should actually prove possible more useful for spirited driving. You should be able to hear other things more, like road and tire noise, giving you a better idea about stuff like that.

Actually no it doesn't.

Every race car driver up until now drive by feel. The engine sound plays a major role. When in a race or spirited driving, the ears gives the feedback to how fast one is, the engine note, combined with the what gear the car is in, gives an approximate speed reference. Take off the engine note and the driver loses Ann important references.

That's the biggest adaptation for the drivers in the Formula E series. They need to calibrate their brain to listen to the whine instead. 

When I was lapping in the 918 in the electric mode, that's the biggest thing I missed. there is no reference of speed and I had to look down to check the speedo all the time. Quite dangerous and slow actually. And a few times I didn't check the entry speed and over cooked a few corners, with some sort of intense moments. 

--

The sound of an engine in motorsport is VERY important. F1 management are currently negotiating updated engine regulations with the teams to improve the spectacle. One of the most common complaints from customers attending the races is that the Turbo Hybrid engines are too quiet! Smiley

If you have enjoyed go-karting on an outdoor circuit, the difference between driving an engine powered kart and an electric powered kart is like day and night.

Of all the car manufacturers, Porsche understands how important sounds are. Which other manufacturer has an annual dedicated Sound Night to celebrate the sound of their engines?

Porsche Sound Night

Link: http://newsroom.porsche.com/en/history/porsche-museum-zuffenhausen-sound-night-2016-13094.html

Whoopsy:
    Wonderbar:

It is a problem. It's the other major problem of electric car. Don't think even Porsche has a solution to that. As there won't be a gearbox for the electric motor so it doesn't get the rev up and rev down sound from shifting.

Range actually isn't an issue if the charging problem can be solved. I don't care if the car can only go 150 miles as long as the charging stations are as populated as gas stations and takes the same time to recharge as refuelling. I lived with that 150 miles range in the Ferrari all the time and it doesn't bother me one bit as it only takes 5 mins to get another 150 miles of range.

It's depressing to think the 'future' of cars would be that whine. Like a remote control car, or a golf cart. 

I rather prefer some sound than no sound. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

I agree.  I will do my best to talk to Porsche officials at the Geneva show. Always hard to get answers, but sometimes I can get a good hint.

An artist's impression of a future Porsche...

1519679110581image.jpeg

...could there also be an E-version of the Porsche 929?

Nice! But 929 is a Mazda number (https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_929)

These photoshop renders are hideous 

Meschke said that they plan to start charging from the beginning and will charge “a similar amount” to gasoline

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electrek.co/2018/03/23/porsche-tesla-supercharger-not-sustainable-charging-network/amp/#ampshare=ht...

Charge the same as gasoline for electricity? Not sure this is a good move... gives the image of a greedy rip-off move from porsche to their customers...

--

LOL. Charge the same as gasoline? Is this guy retarded?

Carlos from Spain:

Meschke said that they plan to start charging from the beginning and will charge “a similar amount” to gasoline

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electrek.co/2018/03/23/porsche-tesla-supercharger-not-sustainable-charging-network/amp/#ampshare=ht...

Charge the same as gasoline for electricity? Not sure this is a good move... gives the image of a greedy rip-off move from porsche to their customers...

Don't worry, Carlos...competition will runs it's course, Porsche will not have a monopoly here, even if they think they can make a profitable business out of it. I doubt it.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

I put in a pre-order at for a Mission E at my local Porsche dealer was number 25! This on a car which comes on the market in 2020. If am very anxious to see if this "hype" will continue. In 2 years lots of things will be different. Once the car is really on the market and the prices are know i wonder how many are still wanting to buy the car (including me!)

Tail happy EV!?! https://insideevs.com/check-out-porsche-mission-e-on-nurburgring/

JR-550:

I put in a pre-order at for a Mission E at my local Porsche dealer was number 25! This on a car which comes on the market in 2020. If am very anxious to see if this "hype" will continue. In 2 years lots of things will be different. Once the car is really on the market and the prices are know i wonder how many are still wanting to buy the car (including me!)

I put mine in many months ago, will get one out of the first patch, probably get the cheapest version as just a people carrier for me.

Entry prices were rumored to match that of the Panamera.

2 years not a very long time, I don't foresee I will buy other brands anyway.Smiley

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    662355 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401229 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254598 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229223 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59587 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4381 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853539 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761939 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM