Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

718 Cayman S brief review

Today we took our Boxster GTS into our Porsche Centre today for its multi-point check and loaned an almost brand new 718 Cayman S PDK. Car equipped with standard seats with sport-tex upholstery and full leather interior with contrast stitching. The improvements over 981 are immediately obvious; much better navigation, screen graphics much clearer, sharper steering and gearbox response also faster. I like the new leather stitching across the face of the fascia and down both sides of the centre console, really nice. Even though the car was new and engine not loosened up I would say that low and mid range response is much more immediate than our GTS. I reckon the car is faster overall, the low down torque of the engine really tells here. The chassis balance and precision also shines through. Ride quality is superb, again an improvement over 981. The car had Porsche keyless entry, but the dummy key where the key normally goes seemed clumsy and pointless.

But oh dear that engine... Smiley I had hoped a newer acquaintance after the drives at the Porsche Experience Centre would have improved my opinion but i’m afraid it most definitely has not. Starting the engine from cold it is rough and uneven, it really sounds and feels as if it is misfiring. Once warmed up it booms and vibrates and sounds even worse in sport mode. At higher revs the dull drone gets even worse, and the uneven vibration does not go away. How could a car company with the reputation and pedigree of Porsche get it so wrong.......

718 feels a lower cost, budget version of 981 thanks to that agricultural engine - in reality like for like it is more expensive than our Boxster GTS was!.Smiley

needless to say we won’t be parting with our beloved Boxster GTS anytime soon!

5DCFEC49-4D3F-4C7D-B603-EB4B8F7AB140.jpeg
    A23FDD8A-51F5-46B0-802E-56E3B96BE627.jpeg
    D95176F1-EDE4-4918-BC25-D28119A1A3C1.jpeg
    93B7101B-E94A-4A98-99FE-3F9E806379B7.jpeg
    5A4EE796-EDE1-4CD8-B9D3-5500217B90F3.jpeg
    17D3959C-2052-4A51-B78D-9787EAF245C8.jpeg
    D787FE20-14F9-47CA-8DD4-12A1D9A50585.jpeg

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Volvo V40 D4 R Design daily drive

Re: 718 Cayman S brief review

Thanks for the review, Dreamcar. I would note that in general there is more engine noise in a Cayman compared to a Boxster. I call my (6-cylinder) Cayman GTS the noise box. It booms and drones at certain engine speeds. No vibration though :)

Seems to be a consensus that Porsche messed up on this engine - too bad.  The 3.0TT seems to be much better loved (I have yet to try one).

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:

Seems to be a consensus that Porsche messed up on this engine - too bad.  The 3.0TT seems to be much better loved (I have yet to try one).

I liked the 3.0L TT in my C2S for its low end torque and it actually sounded pretty decent. It's not the GT3 to be sure., but I think you would be impressed by how linear and willing the engine responds.  The 4 banger in the 718 may be the worst sounding Porsche engine since the original 924 from '77. I have seen very few 718s on the road here in South Florida and that must say something about overall sales.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

Knowing your car history DC we would have been shocked if you had concluded the 718 was worth upgrading to. I guess 718 buyers need to be unaware of or indifferent to the predecessors.

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Grant:

Smiley Much nicer, especially in GTS flavor. Sound is perfect, turbo lag still existent but acceptable.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Rc i think you said some time ago wait until the 992 generation for Porsche to nail the turbo.

i have driven the 991.2 S and it was good but for sure cant get excited compared to my 991.1 x51 engine.

so if i can afford it, and gt4 turns out to be 4Lna then that would be exciting

in a nutshell , its the 992 generation where Porsche will hopefully crack the turbo for the na crowd

steelested:

Rc i think you said some time ago wait until the 992 generation for Porsche to nail the turbo.

I drove a 991.1 Carrera S right after it showed up and didn't like it too much. Sound was OK (not great though but better than expected) but turbo lag was still there and it just felt wrong. I already had my 991.1 C4 GTS Cab at that time and it was a no-brainer, the 991.1 GTS was the "better" car, especially in the engine department.

With the 991.2 GTS models, Porsche addresses some of the criticism. It sounds good, turbo lag is reduced and everything just feels and drives better, incl. PDK shifting.

This was the only reason why I agreed to switch from my 991.1 GTS to the 991.2 GTS.

i have driven the 991.2 S and it was good but for sure cant get excited compared to my 991.1 x51 engine.

Have you driven the 991.2 GTS? Completely different story.

so if i can afford it, and gt4 turns out to be 4Lna then that would be exciting

A 4.0 l GT engine in the Cayman would be amazing but so far, it seem that only the Cayman GT4 RS might get this engine. My contacts to 718 development are very limited, so I have to rely on rumors from people in other departments/suppliers.

in a nutshell , its the 992 generation where Porsche will hopefully crack the turbo for the na crowd

The 992 Carrera S will probably feel like the GTS models right now. Smiley Which is a good thing but don't expect wonders from a car which needs to fulfill the latest emissions/sound emissions standards and also gets a particulate filter.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Not driven the 991.2 gts but absolutely loved 991.1 gts 

I’m sure they’ve done a great job

steelested:

Not driven the 991.2 gts but absolutely loved 991.1 gts 

I’m sure they’ve done a great job

The 991.2 GTS is great. I expected the 991.2 Carrera S to be that way. May have costed them some customers, don't know. Lately, I'm not even sure people care how the Carrera models are. Enthusiasts seem to be mostly interested in GT models and the Carrera customers don't seem to care. I may be wrong but I'm afraid... Smiley

--

dreamcar:

Today we took our Boxster GTS into our Porsche Centre today for its multi-point check and loaned an almost brand new 718 Cayman S PDK. Car equipped with standard seats with sport-tex upholstery and full leather interior with contrast stitching. The improvements over 981 are immediately obvious; much better navigation, screen graphics much clearer, sharper steering and gearbox response also faster. I like the new leather stitching across the face of the fascia and down both sides of the centre console, really nice. Even though the car was new and engine not loosened up I would say that low and mid range response is much more immediate than our GTS. I reckon the car is faster overall, the low down torque of the engine really tells here. The chassis balance and precision also shines through. Ride quality is superb, again an improvement over 981. The car had Porsche keyless entry, but the dummy key where the key normally goes seemed clumsy and pointless.

But oh dear that engine... Smiley I had hoped a newer acquaintance after the drives at the Porsche Experience Centre would have improved my opinion but i’m afraid it most definitely has not. Starting the engine from cold it is rough and uneven, it really sounds and feels as if it is misfiring. Once warmed up it booms and vibrates and sounds even worse in sport mode. At higher revs the dull drone gets even worse, and the uneven vibration does not go away. Smiley Smiley How could a car company with the reputation and pedigree of Porsche get it so wrong.......

@DC: I had a 718 Boxster as a loaner too the other day and, boy, was I glad to fire up my GTS later then in the afternoon when I picked it up again. The 718 series will be faster and better on track, the turbos push the car tremendously, the build quality improved, but this noise ... I would not even refer to it as sound as I felt this NOISE to be very uncomfortable...the first time that I was glad to have a Porsche returned to the dealer...

I think that is spot on

i have a friend who bought a 991.2 targa and doesn’t really care that much about the types of issues this forum does which is fair enough

likewise i own the targa 991.1 targa Mayfair edition with the updated engine which is good however......i have quite an itch to get a proper gt Porsche paticulary now if i can afford it whilst they are still as raw as they are

I've just done a great deal on a new 718 Cayman today for my better half. I sold her 981 Boxster S in December after 2.5 years of ownership so was looking for a suitable replacement for her. She has always loved the Cayman and wanted to go back to one now that we have the targa and my 981 Spyder for open top duties.

I too was sceptical about the flat 4 engine and really didn't car for the 2.5 Boxster S I was loaned for a couple of days last summer. It was fast without a doubt - I had a bit of a spirited tussle with a 981 Boxster GTS driver on a lovely stretch of dual carriageway and could easily pull away from him when we came to roundabouts etc thanks to the low down torque. His car sounded much, much better though.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago and there was a glitch with the new 991.2 targa 4S I was due to collect so my dealer gave me a 718 2.0 Cayman as a loaner for 2 days whilst the issue on my car was sorted out. I had read press reviews that said the smaller engine is the one to go for in the 718 models and after driving it have to agree. Yes the noise in no way compares to the 6 cylinder but is far nicer than the 2.5 and pulls extremely well. The Cayman still has a much noisier cabin as there is little Porsche can do in that regard when the motor is right behind you and the coupe bodywork acts like a speaker cabinet. The Boxster is much better for cabin noise levels with the roof up but to my eyes the 718.1 styling suits the Cayman better. There is something about the squared off front bumper design that just looks awkward on the Boxster whereas the curvy roofline of the Cayman seems to take your eye away from it. Doubtless the 718.2 styling will be better.

The sluggish sales of both models gave me a very good negotiating hand so we chose a pretty low spec car from dealer stock that should retain more of it's value over the next 2 to 3 years. It would have been easy to spend 20-25% more on cars with unnecessary options but for once I did not give in to temptation.

Yes, the 718 Cayman S definitely has the edge on performance, I took the 718 back this afternoon and collected our Boxster GTS for the run home. I was surprised how weak the Boxster felt at low to medium speeds after having the 718 for 24 hours, but some of that feel was due to the quite noticeable turbo lag, there is a short delay and then the power comes in with a big rush along with the increase in vibro-massage and din. It was still wonderful to get back in the GTS with its lovely civilised flat six!

AD11506A-F144-445F-8045-12AA484156A5.jpeg
    16E2A659-50AA-4674-BE19-1475045BB2EB.jpeg

--

Good to know kiss

Here’s to hoping for a nice 6-pot in the upcoming GT4 and Spyders wink

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Disabling the sound actuator improves the cabin sound in the 718.
    Only pull the connector and it is off, no errors or what so ever.
    It's on the left side in the back of the car.

--

daily (no fun): BMW 430d
    for fun: Porsche Boxster GTS

981 looks so much better than 718 imho

--

Dream car, your GTS looks so much better and I also would not trade your 6 NA for a 4 Turbo . You get quickly accustomed to the turbo feel and then you regret the direct feel and scream of the 6 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

acky:

--

Ah! That explains the increased engine note when selecting Sport as the car didn’t have the sports exhaust option - thankfully! Bit of an extreme measure on a one day loan car but would definitely disable this if I owned one! Smiley

--

Gnil:

Dream car, your GTS looks so much better and I also would not trade your 6 NA for a 4 Turbo . You get quickly accustomed to the turbo feel and then you regret the direct feel and scream of the 6 

Absolutely no chance of that Gnil! Smiley The only Porsche that would appeal to me now would be the 991/2, I had one for a day last year when our Boxster went in for its two year service and I was massively impressed, like 718 it has significant improvements over 991/1 but unlike 718 still has a lovely engine. Smiley

--

This is rather ridiculous, is it ? ...you disable something which is / was intended to serve a particular purpose...Smiley Well, the successor for my 981 GTS will definitely not come from the 718 range...(and, no successor planned for the time being...)

d997h:

This is rather ridiculous, is it ? ...you disable something which is / was intended to serve a particular purpose...Smiley Well, the successor for my 981 GTS will definitely not come from the 718 range...(and, no successor planned for the time being...)

My sentiments entirely d997h. Smiley The only change in the dreamcar stable is selling the trouble-prone Volvo for a Golf GTI in a few weeks time.

--

is the sound actuator pumping speaker noise into the cabin?

sfo:

No, it's a tube with a resonator box from the engine to the cabin that carries the noise from the engine into the cabin, and can be closed or opened.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:
    sfo:

No, it's a tube with a resonator box from the engine to the cabin that carries the noise from the engine into the cabin, and can be closed or opened.

Who in their right minds would want to amplify that awful racket? Smiley

--

dreamcar:
    Carlos from Spain:
    sfo:

Who in their right minds would want to amplify that awful racket? Smiley

Smiley

Just found out that the E63 S AMG I ordered has a sound amplification through the HiFi system. Why? You won't believe it: Since the car is too well insulated, especially with the acoustic comfort package, it sounds great from the outside but you can barely hear it from the inside. Smiley Smiley Luckily, I haven't ordered the acoustic comfort package. It has a resonator as well, opens a flap to the engine bay but apparently this wasn't enough.

--

acky:

Awesome, thanks for the advice. Should I ever have a 718, I will definitely try this out. Even for one day... Smiley

Carlos from Spain:
    sfo:

Actually, this one is without a connection to the engine. It´s a separate module that is attached at specified points of the interior, driven by a electro-mechanical actuator. Therefore it should even be possible to change the level and characteristic of the sound...

Ferdie:

Awesome, thanks for the advice. Should I ever have a 718, I will definitely try this out. Even for one day... Smiley

I've a much better idea Ferdie! 

6932720E-D592-4659-8C78-4E6E55B47C69.jpeg

--

The device is the same used bei Volkswagen in the GTI and other cars.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    690983 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410126 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256179 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235403 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65744 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858782 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775097 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM