Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Issues With Velar

noone1:

Um, what exactly is the problem? He's got a perfectly fine working Velar with a new engine. 

The "problem" with your advice is that you are lying to the potential buyer saying that you need to sell it because you are moving or didn't like it instead of disclosing the real reason, an engine change which is something you know that the buyer would want to know beforehand. Call me stupid but to me that is a problem.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

All you'd be doing is making people think something is wrong with the car when there is nothing wrong with the car. The OP is suffering from this himself -- got a brand new engine, yet doesn't want it for some reason and finds in inferior. It's under warranty, the engine is new. And feelings towards the car's quality are completely mental.

It's like people trying to talk down the price on a Lamborghini because the underside of the front end is scraped. My response to those buyers -- fuck off. I'm not discounting a car because of some superficial, meaningless characteristic.

2018016a.jpg

That is up to the buyer to decide if it's a problem for him or not but you can't knowingly hide that information, the car had the engine replaced. And it's not only a problem of the buyer needing to know what he is buying and if he cares or not but also when the buyer sells the car to a third owner, he is likely not going to get the same money for it if the car has mismatching numbers. The "he doesn't need to know for his own good" is just an excuse to stick it to him.

--

AP911:

2018016a.jpg

I've seen this happen on a new panamera when the auto start/stop function is enabled at a stop light, the engine won't start up and run once the accelerator pedal is pressed   Smiley  not to mention it's much more scarce than a Ferrari 488 Smiley

God knows how much money Porsche burns every year to stay up high on that "higher bidders" list  Smiley

FWIW - My first 991 has a doggy of a car. After 2.5 years ownership they replaced it with a new car with me effectively paying for the options on the new one. It was a really painful process in the UK (probably easier in the US - because of scale) so not sure how much LR dealers care about their customers in Cyprus? I'm with you in that I wouldn't want the car back - not just because of replacement - but would have a negative "feeling" about the car. Just carry on being persistent until you get what you want. 

--

991 Carrera Black Edition, XC90 Black\Black - 2 kids, 1 dog

The GM of Land Rover dealer was very understanding during the conversation we had. Its not my first car from there and I told them I don't want it to be my last Land Rover either, but that's up to them to decide. I hope it will have a positive result and we can reach an understanding that works for both.  Lets see what they come back to me with next week, as the car will be done by then. I've told them I won't be picking it up until we have reached an agreement about everything.  They seemed genuine in their desire to do what's best for me, but actions speak louder than words and we will see what happens next week. 

I'll keep you guys posted.

I'm also not the type to be able to pass the car onto someone without telling them about the engine change, even if it's not that big a deal in this day and age and it happens quite often, people still have a negative sentiment towards it.  They can use it as a bargaining tool, it can scare people away, whatever the reason I'd rather not have to deal with it. It will be easier to change the car now than later and for a better deal I think.

There are about 20 Velars in all of Cyprus

Moser

Moser:
    I'm also not the type to be able to pass the car onto someone without telling them about the engine change, even if it's not that big a deal in this day and age and it happens quite often, people still have a negative sentiment towards it.  They can use it as a bargaining tool, it can scare people away, whatever the reason I'd rather not have to deal with it. It will be easier to change the car now than later and for a better deal I think.

Smiley

,hope you get what you want

+1 Fingers crossed. 

--

White 991.2 GT3, production week 10

noone1:
    Whoopsy:
    noone1:

I don't think that's true at all. It's replace under warranty. Won't show anything bad on the carfax or whatever you guys use over there. It will be a delivery mileage Velar.

Perhaps you should buy it off his hands then if you think it's nothing.Smiley

Don't want it, but he's also not obligated to write "ENGINE REPLACED BECAUSE OF PROBLEMS!!!!11" on his for sale ad.

Put a few miles on it and sell it. Just say you didn't like it or have to move for work/family and need to get rid of it.

You can't be serious. If you are and that is how you feel, why should we read any of your posts? Smiley

--

You have your way. I have my way. As for the correct way and the only way, it does not exist.

This Nick Murray video comes to mind. Porsche bought back his lemon in the end. Probably mainly because it was flooded all over the internet with his videos and created bad publicity. Not sure it would have been the same outcome with average Joe not going public. But who knows.

nberry:
    noone1:
    Whoopsy:
    noone1:

I don't think that's true at all. It's replace under warranty. Won't show anything bad on the carfax or whatever you guys use over there. It will be a delivery mileage Velar.

Perhaps you should buy it off his hands then if you think it's nothing.Smiley

Don't want it, but he's also not obligated to write "ENGINE REPLACED BECAUSE OF PROBLEMS!!!!11" on his for sale ad.

Put a few miles on it and sell it. Just say you didn't like it or have to move for work/family and need to get rid of it.

You can't be serious. If you are and that is how you feel, why should we read any of your posts? Smiley

--

You have your way. I have my way. As for the correct way and the only way, it does not exist.

Maybe I'll change my attitude when for a single time in my entire life someone doesn't try to nickle and dime me for every meaningless little fucking blemish or problem on a car. I give no fucks about selling people a perfectly fine car without me talking down the price for them.

Put 15K miles on a Ferrari and watch all the morons tell you how it's such a high mileage car and worth $75K less than a 1K mile car. Oh, someone bumped into you at 5 mph and you got a repainted bumper? $15K off please! Gimme a fucking break.

Fuck that. People can do there own damn research into a car. It's not like you're hiding a major accident. You're simply not giving morons an avenue to talk you down on price simply because they want to save money.

So actively lying to the buyer to purposedly hide the fact that the car needed an engine replacement to you is "not giving morons an avenue to talk you down on price simply because they want to save money."?... way to go champ, you should be proud. Sometimes I think that it would be great if karma was real.

--

+1

--

It's lying to avoid bias and irrational thinking. It's almost like dealing with superstition.

Would you tell potential buyers that someone committed suicide in bedroom of the house you were trying to sell? Hell no. Wouldn't make any difference to me and it changes absolutely nothing, but it sure as hell would put off many people.

What's the point of feeding into people's irrational fears? If they like the car enough to inquire about it, why give them irrational reasons to walk away?

Perhaps the concept of integrity has different interpretations?

--

Carlos from Spain:

Yes, excellent advise, instead of reaching an honest arrangement with the dealer, why bother when you can just lie about it and pass the problem to someone else  1325269639981rolleyes.gif

--

Actually, this wouldn't even be legal in most EU countries (or the whole EU?). The seller would be obliged to tell the buyer about the new engine. Unless he wants to be forced by a judge to take the car back when the buyer finds out. Smiley 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    Carlos from Spain:

Yes, excellent advise, instead of reaching an honest arrangement with the dealer, why bother when you can just lie about it and pass the problem to someone else  1325269639981rolleyes.gif

--

Actually, this wouldn't even be legal in most EU countries (or the whole EU?). The seller would be obliged to tell the buyer about the new engine. Unless he wants to be forced by a judge to take the car back when the buyer finds out. Smiley 

It wouldn't be a problem, just tell the judge: "it's all superstition your honor, I'm actually saving the buyer from his irrational fears!"... surely the judge will dismiss the case right then and there  tongue.png Smiley

--

So you gotta reveal a new bumper too? And a new rear view mirror? 

You sell a car as-is. Unless you explicitly tell someone that it didn't have a new engine, then it's simply due diligence on the buyers part. The car is not new, it's used.

I'm basically trying to avoid these problems in the future and letting the dealer deal with the new buyer of the car, because it's always better coming from him than an individual...  If I can arrange something now, I'll be happy....this week is key

Moser:

I'm basically trying to avoid these problems in the future and letting the dealer deal with the new buyer of the car, because it's always better coming from him than an individual...  If I can arrange something now, I'll be happy....this week is key

You are doing the right thing, fingers crossed!

--

Carlos from Spain:
    Moser:

You are doing the right thing, fingers crossed!

Agreed. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

If the engine was replaced under warranty by the dealer I see no reason to disclose it. If he wants compensation for not having the car for a few weeks, that’s one thing, but asking for compensation because the engine was replaced under warranty, sorry but I don’t see why the dealer would do anything significant.

on another note I find it despicable that Land Rover gets creamed by people here when Porsche replaced ALL GT3 engines under warranty and it was OK. Once again, my RRS has been much more reliable than my last 3 Porsches. My CTTS was traded in without the big roof rattle ever fixed after 4 visits. My Macan went in 3 times for the same exhaust noise problem. The lower console of my Macan went completly inoperative. My Macan also had some sort of coolant leak, several rattles and a vent that kept popping up.

If you factor in the $23k spent in brake jobs and tires over 5 years and 40,000 miles on the CTTS and the ridiculous price tag of the car now, the RRS has been a much smarter purchase.

SciFrog:

If the engine was replaced under warranty by the dealer I see no reason to disclose it. If he wants compensation for not having the car for a few weeks, that’s one thing, but asking for compensation because the engine was replaced under warranty, sorry but I don’t see why the dealer would do anything significant.

Any major warranty repair (similar to accident repairs) needs to be disclosed in most EU countries.

Asking for compensation from the dealer because he got a new engine is optional of course, the dealer doesn't have to agree and he has no obligation to do that. However, if the dealer wants to keep the customer and also fears bad publicity, he will try everything in his power to make the customer happy.

On another note I find it despicable that Land Rover gets creamed by people here when Porsche replaced ALL GT3 engines under warranty and it was OK. Once again, my RRS has been much more reliable than my 3 last Porsches...

Replacing the GT3 engines under warranty was OK but people were compensated in a way or another and yes, there were owners who sold their GT3 and got something else instead. I know at least one GT3 owner who switched to a 911 Turbo S and had the dealer giving him a nice deal because of that.

--

I'd still like to see this law that says you have to disclose the engine swap, especially one done under warranty and no due to an accident. The car is used and I don't believe you'd have to disclose anything at all. Since when can't you sell something as-is in the EU?

noone1:

I'd still like to see this law that says you have to disclose the engine swap, especially one done under warranty and no due to an accident. The car is used and I don't believe you'd have to disclose anything at all. Since when can't you sell something as-is in the EU?

You can but no buyer, unless he/she is an idiot, will buy a car without disclosures of accidents and/or technical issues, incl. a major one like an engine swap. The "as-is" deals are usually done for cars in the 500-3000 EUR price range. Smiley

--

SciFrog:

on another note I find it despicable that Land Rover gets creamed by people here when Porsche replaced ALL GT3 engines under warranty and it was OK. Once again, my RRS has been much more reliable than my last 3 Porsches. 

And I am another who has had nothing but reliability from my LR; now onto my second one. But this forum is nowhere near large enough for our vehicle problems to be meaningful statistically. In the end the niggles are a pain, but if the driving experience is positive most of us would buy another regardless off repair history. 

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Hi guys,

So this just in..... Land Rover and my dealer will do nothing for me, bar if I'm lucky a warranty extension... I got the call today and to be honest it wasn't what I expected.  I offered to buy a new car from then and give them my car as a trade in and pay the difference, which I thought would be in the range of 10k-15k Euros, they asked me for 30K!!! I thought they were joking and I didn't hear the number right. My car is registered in Sept 2017, and it has 5,000kms.  It's in immaculate condition inside and out and it's been with them 3 months now.  

Basically he told me that he tried to sell it through the dealer network but they have already been informed of an engine change and they won't take it.  He is basically confirming that because of the engine change i'm fuc$%# and no one will buy the car unless they get a big discount.  I really don't know what to do, I'm gonna email land rover again, as the GM of the dealership here said they offered him no assistance and it's to be resolved between the dealer and client.

I'm done with Land Rover and this Dealer as I really expected different treatment. I guess I'm just naive. It's my second fully loaded car from them and I offered to buy a third, but with this response, I'll never buy a LR again, I've just had two horrible experiences and I'm scarred.

I would love to take this to social media, but I would only cause my self more harm trying to sell my car, and honestly I feel LR wouldn't give two fu&%s.  My options are keep the car for a long time until it the depreciation is no longer an issue, or to try and get the best deal for it now and take the loss and move on.

I'm really pissed off, more at their reaction than this happening to me....

Moser

*correction I have about 5,800 kms

Moser:

Hi guys,

So this just in..... Land Rover and my dealer will do nothing for me, bar if I'm lucky a warranty extension... I got the call today and to be honest it wasn't what I expected.  I offered to buy a new car from then and give them my car as a trade in and pay the difference, which I thought would be in the range of 10k-15k Euros, they asked me for 30K!!! I thought they were joking and I didn't hear the number right. My car is registered in Sept 2017, and it has 5,000kms.  It's in immaculate condition inside and out and it's been with them 3 months now.  

Basically he told me that he tried to sell it through the dealer network but they have already been informed of an engine change and they won't take it.  He is basically confirming that because of the engine change i'm fuc$%# and no one will buy the car unless they get a big discount.  I really don't know what to do, I'm gonna email land rover again, as the GM of the dealership here said they offered him no assistance and it's to be resolved between the dealer and client.

I'm done with Land Rover and this Dealer as I really expected different treatment. I guess I'm just naive. It's my second fully loaded car from them and I offered to buy a third, but with this response, I'll never buy a LR again, I've just had two horrible experiences and I'm scarred.

I would love to take this to social media, but I would only cause my self more harm trying to sell my car, and honestly I feel LR wouldn't give two fu&%s.  My options are keep the car for a long time until it the depreciation is no longer an issue, or to try and get the best deal for it now and take the loss and move on.

I'm really pissed off, more at their reaction than this happening to me....

Moser

As expected. Sorry to say that though.

The GM of course won't take it back as a normal trade in, they will be stuck with it, hence the call to others but since the VIN has been entered into the system, everyone knows about it too.

There is someone here that thinks an engine replacement isn't an issue, perhaps he can buy it off you at normal trade in price, walk the walk talk the talk Smiley

Your best bet? Perhaps hoping someone would crash into you and total the car, insurance payout will be better than the lowered trade in price.

2nd choice, if you don't mind the car, drive it till the wheels falls off. But then again it's. LR, it may not even last that long.

3rd choice, since you are fucked on trade in value, might as well vent it on social media, youtube or whatever, like that annoying guy with his 911 or something. You never know what could happen, perhaps something good.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763994 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436295 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260955 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257889 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82593 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876671 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808678 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM