Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018)

nberry:

Not sure what’s going on at the factory. My car entered production  on July 11th and issued a vin # with a completion date of July 18th. Now I am informed that the expected completion date is September 13th. How can it go into production and not finish until two months later? My SA claims the car will be finished much earlier but the factory closes on August 6th for a couple of weeks. 

My biggest concern is getting the car before Trump imposes the 25% tariff. Had Porsche stuck to the July completion, I would have been fine. Now with the later production date, I doubt I will avoid the tariff which will cause me to not to take the car.surprise

Isn't there some sort of waiver for a certain transition time for cars already ordered?! Smiley I remember reading something like that a while ago...

The US government wants no tariffs at all, the EU won't agree to this because they want to protect the agricultural industry in the EU. Will be interesting to see when and how a compromise will be found.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

I’m not aware of any waivers. Once the car lands on US soil, the tariff will be imposed.

Everyone keeps saying it will never happen but they don’t understand Trump. He’ll do it unless our Congress stops him. This week they are working on passing a bill that requires out Trade commission to hold hearings on the auto import tariffs to determine if the undermine national security. It would suspend the Commerce department investigation until the trade commission hearings are concluded. Trump doesn’t have the authority to impose the tariffs without a recommendation from the Commerce Department. 

--

Being adventurous can be risky but routine is lethal.

nberry:

I’m not aware of any waivers. Once the car lands on US soil, the tariff will be imposed.

Everyone keeps saying it will never happen but they don’t understand Trump. He’ll do it unless our Congress stops him. This week they are working on passing a bill that requires out Trade commission to hold hearings on the auto import tariffs to determine if the undermine national security. It would suspend the Commerce department investigation until the trade commission hearings are concluded. Trump doesn’t have the authority to impose the tariffs without a recommendation from the Commerce Department. 

You don't understand Trump. Of course you can't stop him, he means serious business. This is the only way his strategy can work. If he backs down too easily, nobody would take him serious anymore. Smiley

This is how I educated my kids: I played the madman when I was p.ss.d or wanted something from them they didn't want to "give" me. I played the madman, I yelled, I punished them (took way their stuff in a pretty exaggerated Oscar-worthy way...I should get an Oscar Smiley) and since that time, there isn't much I have to do if I ask them to do something. They do it because they know the consequences if they don't. Trump isn't much different but I am surprised people actually fall for it. Smiley It worked amazingly well with my kids, I even scared my wife (she always thought I mean it but I couldn't tell her the truth because she would have backed down fast, she is just too "soft").

I understand your fears and they may be justified (the European politicians seem to underestimate the threat and take it way too personal in my opinion...) but the German car industry is currently putting huge pressure on our politicians, so maybe there is hope.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    nberry:

You don't understand Trump. Of course you can't stop him, he means serious business. This is the only way his strategy can work. If he backs down too easily, nobody would take him serious anymore. Smiley

he will back down when the chinese start selling US gov bonds. then the chair of the federal reserve will have a very serious word with trump and it will be business as usual, at least for china-US. the european politicians are doing the right thing, just let him sink into his own mud deeper and deeper, no action needed. he might start to invade venezuela, which would be bad enough but other than that...

This is how I educated my kids: I played the madman when I was p.ss.d or wanted something from them they didn't want to "give" me. I played the madman, I yelled, I punished them (took way their stuff in a pretty exaggerated Oscar-worthy way...I should get an Oscar Smiley) and since that time, there isn't much I have to do if I ask them to do something. They do it because they know the consequences if they don't. Trump isn't much different but I am surprised people actually fall for it. Smiley It worked amazingly well with my kids, I even scared my wife (she always thought I mean it but I couldn't tell her the truth because she would have backed down fast, she is just too "soft").

I understand your fears and they may be justified (the European politicians seem to underestimate the threat and take it way too personal in my opinion...) but the German car industry is currently putting huge pressure on our politicians, so maybe there is hope.

--

If China and the EU want to start a currency war as well, besides the trade war, I am pretty sure Trump will be happy to join. Smiley Not going to happen, Peter... This would mean to move away from the USD in international trade and would probably hurt China and the EU more than the US. Smiley

There will be a compromise in the end. Why? Because everyone is afraid of Trump and of an escalation but Trump...isn't. Why isn't he afraid? Simple: He doesn't care or maybe he doesn't take the possible consequences seriously enough. The Chinese and the Europeans know that, so they are going to find compromises. Lucky Trump. Smiley

--

RC:

If China and the EU want to start a currency war as well, besides the trade war, I am pretty sure Trump will be happy to join. Smiley Not going to happen, Peter... This would mean to move away from the USD in international trade and would probably hurt China and the EU more than the US. Smiley

There will be a compromise in the end. Why? Because everyone is afraid of Trump and of an escalation but Trump...isn't. Why isn't he afraid? Simple: He doesn't care or maybe he doesn't take the possible consequences seriously enough. The Chinese and the Europeans know that, so they are going to find compromises. Lucky Trump. Smiley

--

i disagree. eventually the chinese would be happy to replace the USD by the CNY - surely rather not now, but in the long run. however, if they are forced they can speed it up. in any case they have more leverage on the US than than europe, given the state our continent is in, with the UK in turmoil etc. anyway, we can sit trump out, unless he totally ruins the world out of vanity before. btw, if the iranian regime is smart, they will just start to flatter him, like kim jong un did. 

Christian, Trump is. political animal. Our mid term elections are in November. He needs to get his base out and he does this by claiming he has kept his promises on of which is to make better trade deals. So far none of this has occurred and not likely to occur before November. His only option is to impose the tariffs unless Congress stops him.

As an aside, there is a poster on RL who owns all three of the .2 GT3’s taking delivery just recently of the RS. He is a straight shooter and his impression of the RS isn’t much better than the .2 GT3. He’s not sure that the difference of $40,000 is worth it. Though I still want the RS, my enthusiasm for the has waned considerably with all the changes on my build and delivery dates.

--

Well, I think there will be a compromise but probably not one everyone will like. 

How soon? I don't know. Depends on how desperate the Europeans and Chinese are.

Congress would be dumb to stop Trump because his strategy, as reckless it may look, may actually work. Smiley

--

So far none of his strategies have worked. No revision of NAFTA, and he took us out of the Transpacific Trade treaty and as a result the EU and China have signed a huge trade agreement to the detriment of US businesses.

--

nberry:

So far none of his strategies have worked. No revision of NAFTA, and he took us out of the Transpacific Trade treaty and as a result the EU and China have signed a huge trade agreement to the detriment of US businesses.

It takes time and politicians need to learn how Trump "functions"... They make the mistake to think of him as another politician but he isn't. No politician, no diplomat, not even sure he is a business man. He is a maker, true but this also means that he has rude ways to achieve his goals, something politicians/diplomats aren't used to. Yet. 

I think Putin understands how Trump thinks very well, probably the reason why Trump enjoyed the meeting and had to suffer the backlash. Trump needs to learn that two things are completely forbidden in politics: Being a bully and being too honest. Sometimes he is one, sometimes the other. Both have no place in politics.

I departed politics for one reason only: If you want to say what you think, this is the wrong job. You need to be a notorious liar and deceiver to make it in politics. Even better: You need to be a sociopath. Smiley Smiley

Oh...we should get away from discussing politics again in this thread.

I understand your worries, Nick, I really do, we are talking big bucks here. You are not the only one in this position though and I cannot imagine that Porsche will allow that to happen. Not sure what kind of compensation would be possible but I am pretty sure that Porsche is aware of the seriousness of this matter.

--

The fact is there is lots of room for the other countries to make the current deals better for the US. There is no argument that the deals are currently not one sided and that the US can and should seek to improve its position. As I would expect everyone to look after their own best interest. As long as the US is not asking to flip the deals upside down and unfairly disadvantage our trading partners the deals will happen.   If the US were currently cheating or grossly benefiting from our trade arrangements I would expect things to not end well for the US but that is not the case. Nick gets his RS without tarrif.  

Guys...back to topic...seriously. Otherwise we have to delete a bunch of posts again. Too much work. Smiley

--

Leawood911:

The fact is there is lots of room for the other countries to make the current deals better for the US. There is no argument that the deals are currently not one sided and that the US can and should seek to improve its position. As I would expect everyone to look after their own best interest. As long as the US is not asking to flip the deals upside down and unfairly disadvantage our trading partners the deals will happen.   If the US were currently cheating or grossly benefiting from our trade arrangements I would expect things to not end well for the US but that is not the case. Nick gets his RS without tarrif.  

Mike, I'm not so sure I want it.Smiley

--

nberry:

As an aside, there is a poster on RL who owns all three of the .2 GT3’s taking delivery just recently of the RS. He is a straight shooter and his impression of the RS isn’t much better than the .2 GT3. He’s not sure that the difference of $40,000 is worth it. Though I still want the RS, my enthusiasm for the has waned considerably with all the changes on my build and delivery dates.

I read that review as well.  I think it is unrealistic to expect the RS to feel much different from the GT3 in a straight line.  It has only 2% more peak torque and 4% more peak power (hard to feel that) simultaneously with more aero drag (wider body and wheels with bigger wing).  That's why the GT3 (non-RS) is 5mph faster top speed.  The RS shows its real advantage at the track (better handling with downforce and wider track with more rubber, and double the spring stiffness).

If you'll recall, in the 991.1  generation, the RS wasn't noticeably faster in a straight line either even though there the RS had a bigger engine (4.0 vs. 3.8) and a bigger HP & TQ advantage.

In that thread, you mentioned an interest in tracking the RS.  If so, I think you'll find it sublime on the track.  Otherwise, it's all down to the difference in appearance/collectibility (and the GT3 having a more forgiving ride on the street).

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

The main reason people want RS for the street is because they managed to get one and will not loose too much money in depreciation (well at least until now). Who doesn’t want a free car? Once these artificial depreciations will disappear and Porsche makes the money instead of the street, the interest will subside. I find driving an RS on a street pretty extreme.

Happy 

B5F11CFA-17AD-4A43-A4C0-467377DDDAEC.jpeg

rickman:

Happy 

The wheel colour and sticker blend so well.

Very cool Smiley.

Congrats.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

rickman:

Happy 

Do you still have the gelb grun? Smiley 

that looks cool by the way, felicitations! Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

rickman:

Happy 

Excellent!  I think stickers and wheels should always match (ala 73RS) Smiley

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

RC:

Guys...back to topic...seriously. Otherwise we have to delete a bunch of posts again. Too much work. Smiley

Sorry. I was not talking politics just trade and specifically related to Nicks tariff issue.

Nick - if you don’t want it ...

RC:

Well, I think there will be a compromise but probably not one everyone will like. 

Congress would be dumb to stop Trump because his strategy, as reckless it may look, may actually work. Smiley

what is his strategy except keep his base happy, no matter what?

--

Grant:
    nberry:

I read that review as well.  I think it is unrealistic to expect the RS to feel much different from the GT3 in a straight line.  It has only 2% more peak torque and 4% more peak power (hard to feel that) simultaneously with more aero drag (wider body and wheels with bigger wing).  That's why the GT3 (non-RS) is 5mph faster top speed.  The RS shows its real advantage at the track (better handling with downforce and wider track with more rubber, and double the spring stiffness).

If you'll recall, in the 991.1  generation, the RS wasn't noticeably faster in a straight line either even though there the RS had a bigger engine (4.0 vs. 3.8) and a bigger HP & TQ advantage.

In that thread, you mentioned an interest in tracking the RS.  If so, I think you'll find it sublime on the track.  Otherwise, it's all down to the difference in appearance/collectibility (and the GT3 having a more forgiving ride on the street).

--

Latest tests of 991.2 GT3 RS(AB Sports car) shown that normal 991.2 GT3 is actually after 200km/h. Bigger Aero drag and wider tires are working as an advantage only on the track. Also, special Cup 2 R compound is only available in 991.2 GT3 RS tire size. 

So, objectively is 991.2 GT3 RS worth extra money over 991.2 GT3? No. 

Subjectively, as mainly track weekends sports car? Yes.

pmarkow:
    RC:

what is his strategy except keep his base happy, no matter what?

He thinks like a hot shot business man, not like a politican/diplomat.  Huge problem because for him it is business, for the others it is insulting. Funny enough, he feels insulted, when the others mean business. Smiley Smiley This happens when a non-politician suddenly becomes the most powerful political leader. You know I like what he is doing, not his methods and I'm not a fan of the person but I would never want to work for someone like him, it must be terrifying and painful to be in his team because I doubt he listens often. 

To make it short: If you want to discuss Trump and his politics, just PM me. We have a strict no politics policy for a reason. Smiley

--

With respect I made a point about tariffs which had nothing not to do with Trump or politics. It was a logical point about economics and trade. This was after you spoke at some length about politics. Then you school me about my topic and go right back to politics yourself. I don’t get the rules. We can’t even discuss economics now but you can circle back to politics whenever you need to get something off your chest?  I think you see the problem our little book burning mentality can cause?  Back to topic. I did not make this an IM, sorry.  

Leawood911:

With respect I made a point about tariffs which had nothing not to do with Trump or politics. It was a logical point about economics and trade. This was after you spoke at some length about politics. Then you school me about my topic and go right back to politics yourself. I don’t get the rules. We can’t even discuss economics now but you can circle back to politics whenever you need to get something off your chest?  I think you see the problem our little book burning mentality can cause?  Back to topic. I did not make this an IM, sorry.  

My bad, I apologize for the confusion. We should discuss economics in a separate thread in the Off-Topic forum. Oh wait, we tried and we fell back to politics. Smiley Best thing is: We don't discuss it at all since not everyone seems to be able to keep it civilized (not you...others).
    Back to cars...

--

RC:
    Leawood911:

My bad, I apologize for the confusion. We should discuss economics in a separate thread in the Off-Topic forum. Oh wait, we tried and we fell back to politics. Smiley Best thing is: We don't discuss it at all since not everyone seems to be able to keep it civilized (not you...others).
    Back to cars...

my fault as well, i just could not resist. tried to stay away from becoming emotional however:::)))

Peter, you were always opposed to me, politically but also mature and civilized enough to use arguments, not insults. You were never a problem, neither was Leawood or many others. For the sake of a peaceful community, I think it is sometimes better not to discuss politics. I wish we could but it doesn't work, we tried. Smiley

--

RC:

Peter, you were always opposed to me, politically but also mature and civilized enough to use arguments, not insults. You were never a problem, neither was Leawood or many others. For the sake of a peaceful community, I think it is sometimes better not to discuss politics. I wish we could but it doesn't work, we tried. Smiley

i think you are right, very unfortunately so because this forum has a very wide spectrum of political backgrounds and orientations....this is not easy to find.

pmarkow:
    RC:

i think you are right, very unfortunately so because this forum has a very wide spectrum of political backgrounds and orientations....this is not easy to find.

This is why I love this forum and I wish we could talk freely about everything without getting too emotional. Unfortunately... Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    pmarkow:
    RC:

This is why I love this forum and I wish we could talk freely about everything without getting too emotional. Unfortunately... Smiley Smiley

Same here. I value the opinion of many here, even if I often disagree, and like to hear everyone’s arguments. Real shame we cannot have this anymore Smiley How about a stronger moderation? Automatic posts delete if they go too far?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762508 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435386 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260522 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257581 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80952 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872309 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807677 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM