Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

OFFICIAL: 718 Cayman (2016)

Four-cylinder turbo for power when cornering – the new Porsche 718 Cayman

Stuttgart. The fourth, redeveloped generation of the mid-engine sport coupé has a more striking, athletic and efficient appearance. Just a few weeks after the debut of the new 718 Boxster, the new 718 Cayman is extending the new model series. For the first time, the hard-top is priced below the roadster – in a similar way to the 911 models. 718 Cayman pricing starts at 51,623 euros in Germany, and the 718 Cayman S costs from 64,118 euros, each including VAT and country-specific features.

The same new four-cylinder flat engines with turbocharging as in the 718 Boxster are being deployed in the 718 Cayman. As a result, coupé and roadster have an identical engine output for the first time. The entry-level version starts with 220 kW (300 hp) from two litres of displacement. The S model delivers 257 kW (350 hp) with a displacement of 2.5 litres. This represents 18 kW (25 hp) more power compared to the predecessor models with an NEDC fuel consumption of 8.1 to 5.7 litres per 100 kilometres.

The tremendous torque of the new engines in the 718 Cayman promises driving fun and agility even at low revs. The two-litre engine of the 718 Cayman achieves a torque of up to 380 Nm (plus 90 Nm), which is available between 1,950 rpm and 4,500 rpm. The 2.5-litre engine of the 718 Cayman S features a turbocharger with variable turbine geometry (VTG), a technology hitherto used exclusively in the 911 Turbo. In the 718 Cayman S, the VTG charger additionally has a wastegate for the first time. It delivers up to 420 Nm (an extra 50 Nm) to the crankshaft at engine speeds between 1,900 and 4,500 rpm. For the driver this means even better torque in all engine speed ranges. The 718 Cayman with PDK and optional Sport Chrono Package sprints from zero to 100 km/h in 4.7 seconds. The 718 Cayman S completes this sprint in 4.2 seconds. The top speed of the 718 Cayman is 275 km/h, and the 718 Cayman S can reach a speed of 285 km/h.

New chassis tuning for greater precision and more lateral stability 
    In terms of their driving dynamics, the new 718 Cayman models follow in the tracks of the classic 718 cars. Thanks to their outstanding agility, the historic mid-engine sports cars won numerous races in the 1950s and 1960s such as the Targa Florio and Le Mans. Lateral rigidity and wheel tracking have been improved in the completely retuned chassis of the 718 Cayman; springs and stabilisers have been designed to be firmer and the tuning of the shock absorbers has been revised. The steering, which has been configured to be ten per cent more direct, enhances agility and driving fun. The rear wheels, which are one-half of an inch wider, in combination with the redeveloped tyres result in an increased lateral force potential and hence in greater cornering stability.

Driving dynamics options such as the Sport Chrono Package and Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) allow the sporty character of the 718 Cayman to be further customised. Another available option is PASM with a ten-millimetre lowering of the ride height and additionally in the S model PASM sport suspension with a 20-millimetre lowering of the ride height for the first time. As in the other Porsche sports cars, the Sport Chrono Package can be adjusted via the programme switch on the steering wheel. Supplementing the previous settings of “Normal”, “Sport” and “Sport Plus” is the “Individual” programme, which is able to call up previously programmed individual settings for various systems.

On account of the car’s greater driving performance capabilities, stronger brake systems are now in use with 330-millimetre brake discs in front and 299-millimetre discs at the rear. The 718 Cayman now has the brake system that was previously used in the Cayman S. The 718 Cayman S, on the other hand, uses the four-piston callipers of the 911 Carrera combined with six-millimetre thicker brake discs.

Distinctive design for a more muscular appearance
    The new 718 Cayman has been further developed as comprehensively in its design as in its technology. The taut proportions, prominent air intakes at the front and sides and low side profile underscore the boost in dynamics. The nose has a much sharper profile, which gives the front end a wider and more masculine appearance. The ultra-slim front lights above the air intakes, which contain the parking lights and indicators, further reinforce this impression. Rounding off the front end of the 718 Cayman, are the significantly larger cooling air intakes and bi-xenon headlights in their new design with integrated LED daytime running lights. LED headlights with four-point daytime running lights are available as a new option. Viewed from the side, the new sport coupé reveals its striking wings and side sills. The redesigned rear has a much wider look due to the accent strip in high-gloss black with integrated Porsche badge between the tail lights. The tail lights have been completely redesigned and are distinguished by the three-dimensional technology and four brake spots that appear to float freely.

Redesigned interior and PCM as standard
    Inside, revisions are visible for both the 718 Cayman and the 718 Boxster. The upper part of the dash panel including air vents is new. The new sport steering wheel in the 918 Spyder design as well as the extensive connectivity options have now been added to the 718 cockpit along with the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) as a standard feature. Mobile phone preparation, audio interfaces and the 150-watt Sound Package Plus are all part of this standard. Options are available to extend the PCM. The Connect module, for example, includes special extensions for smartphones, such as the USB port, Apple CarPlay and Porsche Car Connect. Another available option is the navigation module with voice control, which makes it easy to input driving destinations. If the Connect Plus module is selected, this can be extended with real-time traffic information. Drivers can also make use of additional comprehensive services via their smartphone, which include the Porsche Connect App and Porsche Car Connect App.

The 718 Cayman and 718 Cayman S can be ordered now. The European market launch begins at the end of September 2016. 

Photographic materials on Porsche models are available at the Porsche Newsroom (http://newsroom.porsche.de) and for accredited journalists at the Porsche press database (https://presse.porsche.de).

718 Cayman: combined fuel consumption 7.4 – 6.9 l/100 km, urban 9.9 – 9.0 l/100 km, extra-urban 6.0 – 5.7 l/100 km;
    CO2 emissions 168 - 158 g/km; efficiency class (Germany): E-D.

718 Cayman S: combined fuel consumption 8.1 – 7.3 l/100 km, urban 10.7 – 9.5 l/100 km, extra-urban 6.5 – 6.0 l/100 km;
    CO2 emissions 184 - 167 g/km; efficiency class (Germany): F-E.

--

Re: OFFICIAL: 718 Cayman (2016)

P16_0249.jpg
    P16_0251.jpg
    P16_0240.jpg
    P16_0248.jpg
    P16_0238.jpg
    P16_0239.jpg
    P16_0231.jpg
    P16_0236.jpg

--

As yours is the official release I've deleted my post from Car magazine....Smiley The second ruined Porsche mid engined sports car, although I guess I shouldn't be so prejudiced until after I drive Boxster 718 at Silverstone next month....Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Volvo V40 R Design daily drive

718 is very well received and order book is filling fast according to Porsche ! kiss

It needs to be a dark color to hide the design flaws. The front bumper looks boring and ugly and the rear plastic parts are looking cheap. Now as they add plastic to the rear they remove it from the front - weird, isn't it?

Lars997:

It needs to be a dark color to hide the design flaws. The front bumper looks boring and ugly and the rear plastic parts are looking cheap....

Agree wholeheartedly. Well, I guess the designer's philosophy makes sense: if the engineers can neuter it engine-wise, then the designers should neuter it design-wise...

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Design AND engine have to be worse than the 911.
    They dont really want to sell this car they want to sell 911.

I dont believe that this strategie will work. I cannot imagine that a lot of this 60-80k customers will spend 50k more (which is a lot for them) to buy a 911 because the 718 has lost 2 cylinders and style. Some will, but not many.
    And not everybody wants a rear engined car with back seats they don't need.

With this 4 cylinder engines, I think people may start to think about others cars with similar engines for less money.

Something that was special to this cars, the 6 cylinder N/A engines are gone.
    Now they a enginewise similar to other cheaper cars.

It's the best handling car in his class. But the rest is similar to others and optioned noticable expensiver.
    Base price is ok. But optioned you will raise the price easily about 20-30k.

--

daily: BMW 430d
    for fun: Porsche Boxster GTS

Just read this from a local press:

"The repositioned 718 Cayman is now priced below the Boxster roadster for the first time. 718 Cayman pricing starts at $110,300 plus on-road costs (up $4100), climbing to $140,600 for the 718 Cayman S (up $1600). This means each of the two launch derivatives of the 718 Cayman are $2800 cheaper than their 718 Boxster equivalents."

Ok wtf. Porsche drops a 4 cyl in the 718 and made both the Cayman and Boxster more expensive than their predecessor??? Forget it. 

Only Porsche would expect their customers to pay more for less. No doubt they will get away with it....Smiley

--

dreamcar:

Only Porsche would expect their customers to pay more for less. No doubt they will get away with it....Smiley

--

Time to look into a Volvo instead. 

WAY:
    dreamcar:

Smiley

V60 Polestar Smiley More exciting than this new Cayman.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

Well, it makes sense that the Cayman is less than the Boxster. The Boxster is just a Cayman convertible, is it not?

WAY:
    dreamcar:

--

Smiley What more could you possibly want? Smiley

--

noone1:

Well, it makes sense that the Cayman is less than the Boxster. The Boxster is just a Cayman convertible, is it not?

Yes, of course it makes sense. For 10 years Porsche tried to market it as an "own" model, giving it 5hp more and thereby charging more. When changing from 98x to the 718 model type Porsche has finally corrected this.

--

To me, the Cayman only makes sense in GT4 flavor. Actually Porsche should build only GT4 (and maybe GTS) versions of the Cayman and leave everything else to the Boxster. Just my 2 cents...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

To me, the Cayman only makes sense in GT4 flavor. Actually Porsche should build only GT4 (and maybe GTS) versions of the Cayman and leave everything else to the Boxster. Just my 2 cents...

Completely agree! kiss

RC:

Then the same could be said with the 911 then? I don't really follow the logic. Not everyone like convertibles...

RC:

Why is it different than any other car that comes in coupes/convertibles?

RC:

This makes no sense to me.

--

bluelines:
    RC:

He just doesn't want to offend you. In reality, the Cayman makes no sense to him at all and just be canned.

olli:

Completely agree! kiss

+1

Would like to see some sales number...

In US, 718 Cayman is $53,900 - cheaper than 981.1, IIRC

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

WAY:
    RC:

Then the same could be said with the 911 then? I don't really follow the logic. Not everyone like convertibles...

+1

I, for one, am not a fan of convertibles and would choose the coupe variant every time.

noone1:
    bluelines:
    RC:

He just doesn't want to offend you. In reality, the Cayman makes no sense to him at all and just be canned.

Smiley Smiley

No, seriously...I don't see any sense to have a Cayman with 4-cyl. engine. Many saw the Cayman as some sort of poor man's 911 and now? With a flat four engine? Nothing, Zilch. Smiley The Boxster is a different story...

Just my personal opinion, nobody needs to agree. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Many also saw the Cayman as superior to the 911. I think the customer base is different to the one for the 911 and zilch of them are on this forum. Hence the little understanding for this model. It is not a 300k limited edition with 500hp so why bother? 

It would make no sense to spend R&D on only the GTS and GT4. The additional cost to offer a base Cayman is marginal. Economies of scale also works for Porsche.

Having said that, I personally prefer the Boxster over the Cayman.

--

I do agree with RC somewhat. I'm a car guy and only now by looking at Wikipedia do I realize that for the last decade, the Cayman was just the Boxster coupe. I always thought it was a completely different car in the line up between the Boxster and 911. I thought the Boxster was just a convertible-only Porsche and the Cayman was a poor man's 911, and a step up from the Boxster.

Now that they have combined them under one model designation, 718, it will be interesting to see what happens to sales. I could see one of two things happening:

1. Sales of both the Boxster and Cayman increase because they are no longer perceived as a poor man's 911 and the girly/cheap Porsche. They are now just the 718, and I believe having just two classes of sports car is better than having 3, in terms of "prestige" and "feelings."

2. Sales of the Cayman decrease because people realize the Cayman is just a Boxster, and so it's now no longer a poor man's 911, but the low-end Boxster.

On the plus side for Porsche, regardless, is there is no need to do anything to differentiate these models anymore. It will be all the same marketing, all the same interiors, all the same engines, etc. It will just be a "do you want a coupe or convertible" question.

Oh, and I think they should have ditched the names Boxster and Cayman all together. I feel these names are been kind of diluted and sullied. I think they should have just stuck with 718 and 718 Spyder.

718, 911, 918 -- sports cars
    Macan/Cayenne/Panamera -- non-sports cars

Joost:
    Lars997:

It needs to be a dark color to hide the design flaws. The front bumper looks boring and ugly and the rear plastic parts are looking cheap....

Agree wholeheartedly. Well, I guess the designer's philosophy makes sense: if the engineers can neuter it engine-wise, then the designers should neuter it design-wise...

haha... cool  Smiley

noone1:

Oh, and I think they should have ditched the names Boxster and Cayman all together. I feel these names are been kind of diluted and sullied. I think they should have just stuck with 718 and 718 Spyder.

718, 911, 918 -- sports cars
    Macan/Cayenne/Panamera -- non-sports cars

I agree on that one, too. But this would mean that the 911 is not an Carrera anymore. OR - like in old days, where the Carrera was the stronger engine. So, kind of a 911, 911 Carrera, 911 Turbo - and ditch hat ridiculous "S". Why would you claim the logo "S" for Sport on a Sportscar? While RS for race sport makes sense, that single S is kind for nothing, isn't it?

I still hate all those different models with different engines...

Make a 911 Carrera with one engine, no matter if 2WD, AWD, Targa, whatever and one Turbo.

Maybe add some special edition models in between for those who want something really special. Done. 

Would save tons of money, would make customers much happier (I think) and no more confusion...

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690123 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409525 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255872 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235111 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65609 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858274 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774440 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM