Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997 TT cab (meteor grey; sand beige/black; black)

Hey guys, I finally got my 997 TT cabriolet Saturday. The three week wait from arrival at port to pickup at dealer was very frustrating, but it's all worth it now of course.

This thing is fast! It's a big step up from a 2000 2.7 Boxster, but it's a lot less scary than I thought it would be. The overtaking performance is the best thing. I'm still waiting far too long for passing places on two-lane roads, as I still can't quite believe how little space you need to execute a safe pass.

I've already installed the SmartTop (I think this is a must for any cab) and hardwired my Valentine 1. There is switched power available from the rain sensor wiring in the dome light (black/orange is switched power; either of the brown wires is ground). I used the V1 hardwire adapter just outside the dome light, and tap connectors from RadioShack inside the dome light housing.

Then, there is a short telephone cable to the V1, which is mounted on suction cups at the top of the windshield on the driver's side of the mirror. I also have a long, completely hidden telephone cable for a remote display on top of the steering column. This goes across the top of the windshield, down the driver's side A-pillar, down the top of the dashboard, and across to the remote display on the steering column. It can be pushed behind the trim with a very small screwdriver so it is completely hidden.

Some pictures attached (before the V1 hardwire).

Re: 997 TT cab (meteor grey; sand beige/black; bla

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Niiiice, you caught some great lighting resulting in some very sexy pics.

Regarding your passing experience: I had the same realization (coming from my 997S) on two lane rural highways. Verrry funny how a few seconds faster makes the oncoming traffic appear to stand still! LOL.

Beautiful!

I too went from a Boxster (02 S) to a Turbo. I'm hooked!

Wow man, those pictures are press photography material! Awesome!
    -Joost-

Just one more for now. "Daddy, when are we getting that child seat?" :-)

SWEEEEEET. congrats. Sorry it took so long to get your car. I know we were on the same boat. Love the interior color and Meteor. Meteor is a great color. . Love these pictures. The smile on your daughters picture says it all. I am sure you are all smile these days. Enjoy in good health. More pictures when you get a chance.

GREAT Car!

Safe trips and enjoy every yard!

Beautiful pictures (especially #2). Also a great move from one end to the other of the Porsche food chain.

However, for a brand new car in a standard color, there seems to be a lot of orange peel on the rear bumper. Is this the best Porsche can do?

Please elaborate on your delivery experience.

Congratulations. You could fill a storybook with these wonderful pictures!

Beautiful car, great colour combo - love that interior. Congrats, may you enjoy in good health. I'm another that went from Boxster to meteor turbo (3 weeks ago)! My first long driving trip begins today, can't wait!

Re: 997 TT cab (meteor grey; sand beige/black; black)

The sand beige looks great in the pics! Congrats on the new car

Re: 997 TT cab (meteor grey; sand beige/black; black)

beautiful !!!

the car is awsome of course (especially with the beige interior), but your pictures are beautiful too

the turbo seems to fit perfectly in the landscape !

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, and sorry for the delayed response - I was out of town this week and incredibly busy, earning money to pay for my new pride and joy.

Unfortunately, I now have to report some sad news. A deer jumped out just in front of me on Skyline Blvd (CA route 35) today while taking my father-in-law for his first ride in the car. Most importantly, there were no injuries - we were just a little shaken up. Unfortunately, the deer was not so lucky, though at least it did seem to have been killed instantly. A nice local lady who was the next car a minute behind us (coincidentally in an old Porsche, a 924 or 944 I think, with a dog in the back) stopped to see if we were ok and to check on the deer.

The right hand side of the car has some ugly damage, though not enough to stop it from being drivable. The deer hit the front quarter panel just in front of the wheel (where there is a big, big dent, and limited clearance now for the front right wheel), and it also smashed the front headlight glass (though the light still works, amazingly enough). There is then a small horizontal dent in the passenger door, and another moderate dent on the rear right fender where the car widens. The surround for the air intake was also ripped off.

To be honest, I'm amazed there isn't more damage. The front bumper and hood seem to be completely undamaged, as the deer mostly just bounced off the right side of the car. I've got to say I am pretty sad as the car is just seven days old, and I've been so looking forward to getting this for the past 1.5 years since getting on the waitlist. But, I know that we were lucky to get just a glancing blow (none of the airbags went off), and I'm sure that the solid German engineering helped too. Apparently there are about 1m animal-related accidents in the US each year (mostly deer).

Geico is treating this as a no-fault comprehensive claim, so at least there is no cost other than the $1000 deductible (and my happiness for the next few weeks). I'm planning to take it to Matthews Carlsen Auto Body on Embarcadero Road in Palo Alto on Monday. They repaired some minor bodywork damage (after a hit-and-run while I was parked in a Palo Alto parking lot) on my Boxster seven years ago and made it as good as new. I think they mostly do high-end cars - there are usually a number of Porsches there, or at least there were back in 2000. However I'd appreciate any comments on this place and/or other suggestions.

Drive safe everyone.

Wow I feel your pain The day I took delivery of my C2Scab I drove about fifty miles from my dealer and got rear ended I'm sorry to hear about your incident, I hope the body shop does a great job!

Sorry to hear about the accident but most importantly you and your family were not hurt. Car's are always replaceable and your car will be like day 1 in couple of weeks. Don't let this ruin your fun with the Turbo. I almost hit a deer today. There are tons of them around our area but I am surprised to hear you have deers around SF. My 997S cab was damaged earlier this year and repainted and I had the car back in 10 days. If you don't mind driving to Auburn CA which is around 120 miles from SF I know of a AWESOME B.shop. Most of the cars in his shop are Porsche's. PM me and I can give you detail about the body shop. It might be worth the drive. Do a lot of research before taking your car to the body shop.

Turbo vs. deer: Turbo 1, Deer 0, but not without the Turbo getting a black eye as a result.

Car is still drivable (after bending the right front wheel arch back to avoid it rubbing the tire). Waiting on parts from Germany, but hopefully back to new by early January. Basically the whole right side of the car is getting replaced, (front and rear quarter panels, door, and front and rear lights).

Very sorry to hear what happened. I feel your pain. Hope you will cheer up since it really could be worse. Besides the fact that thankfully no one was injured, it appears the frame is untouched. She should be good as new once those panels are replaced.

Beautiful interior (and daughter) btw.

Quote:
    sfguy said:
    Turbo vs. deer: Turbo 1, Deer 0, but not without the Turbo getting a black eye as a result.

Car is still drivable (after bending the right front wheel arch back to avoid it rubbing the tire). Waiting on parts from Germany, but hopefully back to new by early January. Basically the whole right side of the car is getting replaced, (front and rear quarter panels, door, and front and rear lights).

I dropped it off at Matthews-Carlsen in Palo Alto yesterday. 3-4 weeks to repair - fortunately I'll be out of the country the first two, so won't be missing it that much. No-one thinks there is frame damage, just tedious replacing the body panels on the right hand side.

There was an article on the NYT today about the increasing number of animal collisions in the US: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/22/us/22crash.html

Sorry to hear about your accident but most importantly, no one was injured. Cars can be fixed/replaced.

Twenty years ago I had just got my first Porsche, a 944. I was so excited. On day 7, I was in a meeting at work in Scotts Valley when someone came into the meeting to ask if anyone owned a Porsche. I thought my friends were playing a practical joke on me, but unfortunately they weren't. A co-worker in the shipping department backed up her '64 Chev into my pride and joy and completely crunched the rear end. No damage of course to her battleship. I was so upset and almost lost my temper at her, but good thing I didn't because I learned that her boyfriend was a Hell's Angel!

It took a couple of weeks to fix the car. It was like new and I got a good story I could tell out of it.

Your car will be fine and continue to enjoy it!

My God this breaks my heart. Hey it will be fixed and it will look like it did. Thank God you and your family are okay. Cars can be replaced but our bodies can not. Merry christmas

Beautiful car

Keep in mind that man made this thing. And man can make it again. There is some excellent talent out there today in the repair business. Glad to hear it wasn't worse.

dan

OH MY GOD!

Sorry sfguy.

Your car is fantastic, and nice color.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and war stories.

I got my car back on Friday ... and spent the w/e driving it :-) Three weeks in the shop, and it's as good as new ($18k worth of repairs, though). Skin damage only, so no concerns re: the frame.

I can highly recommend Matthews-Carlsen Body Works in Palo Alto. They had a number of Porsches in the shop while mine was there, clearly love cars, and are very easy and pleasant with as well.

Good to hear you've got your baby back in pristine condition!
    -Joost-

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781484 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442714 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263423 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261790 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85912 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5959 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881546 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819313 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM