Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Autocar and CAR first drive: Nissan GT-R

Go on say it - I won't buy one because it's:
    1. It's a Nissan
    2. It's ugly
    3. It's a Nissan
    4. It's ugly

Quote:
    The point is, yes, the GT-R is a monumentally rapid machine in a straight line, but it's also a refined, comfortable companion on a long journey. More like the world's hairiest GT car, rather than an out-and-out road racer.

Except there's rather more to the GT-R than an ability to cover ground as rapidly as possible. Nissan has developed this car to be as usable in the wet by a so-so driver as it is in the dry on the Nurburgring by Lewis Hamilton. The four wheel-drive system is so clever it makes rival systems appear crude by comparison, when they're not. Called ATTESA E-TS, it uses a massively complex transaxle arrangement at the rear and probably has sufficient computing power to bring down a Space Shuttle at 20 paces.

In practice it means you have more traction and stability across a wider range of surfaces than in any other competitor, plus a level of grip that will make even an experienced driver's eyes water. Nissan claims the GT-R pulls over 1.3g through a dry corner, and nearly 1.0g on a wet one. The steering, too, is deliciously precise, while the huge brakes are similarly mind boggling.

As for the interior, it makes you wonder just how heavily Porsche relies on its reputation to charge as much as it does for a 911 Turbo. The GT-R is as well made if not better than the Porsche inside, has much more space front and rear, more equipment to play with (including a flat screen display that imparts info abut everything from the wind direction to the level of torque at the front axle at any given moment), and a hugely bigger luggage compartment. True, the GT-R is still only a Nissan, and the 911 Turbo is one of Porsche's finest recent moments. But that's still no justification for adding nigh-on Pounds30k to the price.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Nissan-GT-R-3.8-V6/229393/

Re: Autocar first drive: Nissan GT-R

rear shot

From CAR:

Quote:
    Yes, after all the hype, the teaser images, the passenger rides and interviews, we've finally been let loose in the Nissan GT-R, one of the most anticipated drives of the year.

And my word, it's been worth the six-year wait. This is one of the finest, most engaging and desirable cars we have driven in ages, a car with a seemingly endless range of ground-covering abilities that elevates it way beyond the common Nissan badge. It's automotive heaven...

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/first_drive.php?sid=1305&page=1

Ok I'll say it. It looks pretty good in red! I want one. I think. RS5 or GT-R???

Quote:
    Don't worry, the GT-R has the polished dynamics to use all that power, all that turbo-enhanced performance all the time. Sure, the steering isn't as sharp or as delicate as a 911's - the GT-R is 350kg heavier, remember - but it's linear and the GT-R's blunt nose instantly changes direction, no questions asked.

It doesn't understeer, it simply hunkers down and goes where you want it. It's a car that drives square on its feet rather than always on its toes. Less poetic, perhaps, than its European rivals. But, in this case, faster. And so easy to exploit.

It is, says Mizuno, the fastest production car in the world around the Nürburgring - according to Nissan, only the bespoke (and out of production) Porsche Carrera GT can lap the daunting German circuit quicker. That's real-world pace, irrespective of road or weather conditions.

Oh it's quick alright - quick enough to make Porsche's 911 Turbo feel unexciting - but the GT-R's real appeal is its adaptability. Punt it hard, really hard on a track and the GT-R responds, delivering searing pace, formidable control, a fine and perfectly judged balance and a wonderfully high level of feedback.

But if you want to drive it across town in rush-hour traffic or halfway across a continent, you simply slot into Drive, settle back into the thickly padded and generously bolstered seats, switch the suspension setting to soft and the GT-R is so easy and effortless, you might just as well be in a Maxima. A very brisk Maxima.

And that's core to the Nissan's magic appeal - its ability to deliver two distinctly different driving characteristics, where the qualities of one don't compromise the other.

Quote:
    Verdict
    Quite simply, the new GT-R is the world's most multi-faceted supercar. There is no fast car so easy to steer, none so forgiving, no car that has more armoury in its quest to go fast and keep you out of trouble.

Just as that old GT-R resets the standards for front-engined coupés, so the new one lifts the bar ever higher. An M3 beater? Easily. M5? Think higher. This car is faster, more high-tech, sharper, more capable. Faster than a 911 Turbo on the straight. Or on the circuit. And all for normal 911 money. Genius.

That back looks pretty good in red.

Quote:
    martinv said:
    That back looks pretty good in red.

And that is all you will ever see anyway

These were the type of reviews we expected for the 997 Turbo. But they never came and now there is a new 911 Turbo beater from Japan. Shock, gasp.

They did a pretty good job and i'm happy to hear that this payed. The problem is that Porsche nodaways is looking so much to the profit and so few to the real objective of making a GT-R like car that it would be difficult for us to see a 911TT climb that high up.

I am getting found of that car I never thaught I would say that.
    In 2008 I have planed to get the facelifted 997... should I try something else ? should I try this ?

The funny thing is that you guys are all so surprised that this car has incredible performance. But in reality, the R34, R33, and R32 has all been incredibly quick and competent sports cars, most faster than the 911s of the day. Maybe it's because in the US and Europe, you have not been exposed to it. But those of us here in Australia who had the R32 as official Nissan import, and R33 and R34 as grey imports, this has come as no surprise at all.

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    In 2008 I have planed to get the facelifted 997... should I try something else ? should I try this ?

this is a great question!!!!....We too are waiting for 2008 facelift, in fact we sold the 997 recently to do so, but what now, look at this machine, its price tag, and its performance....911 there is no substitute, but what if there is ??

Quote:
    WAY said:
    The funny thing is that you guys are all so surprised that this car has incredible performance. But in reality, the R34, R33, and R32 has all been incredibly quick and competent sports cars, most faster than the 911s of the day. Maybe it's because in the US and Europe, you have not been exposed to it. But those of us here in Australia who had the R32 as official Nissan import, and R33 and R34 as grey imports, this has come as no surprise at all.

I think those models you mentioned are quite popular in the UK, too.
    Another article: Auto Express (click)

Quote:
    WAY said:

I'm surprised because the car weighs so damn much. Still, it's a marvel of engineering and rightfully so. This should give Porsche something to think about. Wonder how tunable it will be.

The GTR will only be as good as a GT3, depending on its engine sound....I've read that its a quite engine, and that is something I really hate about any sportscar

Quote:
    Gnil said:

That depends on if you are more driven by brand or performance.

These are all very positive drive IMPRESSIONS, NOT real tests with full measurements.

My Motorpresse friend told me that GT-R that von Saurma drove on the Nordschleife is still a development prototyp...

Personally, I hate the way it looks. BUT, if all test results(specially in SA) will be as good as Nissan claim then we all will buy it...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    These are all very positive drive IMPRESSIONS, NOT real tests with full measurements.

My Motorpresse friend told me that GT-R that von Saurma drove on the Nordschleife is still a development prototyp...

Personally, I hate the way it looks. BUT, if all test results(specially in SA) will be as good as Nissan claim then we all will buy it...

BTW: HvS stated in the most recent edition of sportauto that he did a time in the range of 7:50. That, however, was not part of a Supertest. Just a test lap.

Markus,

I know that. Motorpresse is the company that own Sport Auto.

Problem for me is that Horst drove Norsdchleife development prototyp of GT-R. My point is-will EU version of GT-R be that good?

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Markus,

Problem for me is that Horst drove Norsdchleife development prototyp of GT-R. My point is-will EU version of GT-R be that good?

Valid point, indeed. Also, the video Nissan publsihed was sure not done with a "regular" customer car. So, in essence, all could be just a marketing hype... Which leads us back to: "let's wait for the Supertest"

I fully agree with you. Nissan claim is 7.38min and Horst did 7.50min on partially dump Kesselchen point. Also Doettingher Hoehe top speed was nothing special(slower then 997 Turbo for example)...

BTW, that same day Frank Stippler drove R10(new V10 version of R8) test mule on the Ring and he was faster(!!) then Horst in GT-R. Also higher end speed on Doettinger Hoehe...

Re: Autocar and CAR first drive: Nissan GT-R

This car has grown on me like no other in a long time Thanks for the pics Temm

I recall Temm and I saying the car probably looks a lot better in a different color than the silver that most of the press cars have been. Personally I think red and black are the best colors for the car. But as accomplished as the car seems, it doesn't ruffle my feathers enough to garner my interest.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    I fully agree with you. Nissan claim is 7.38min and Horst did 7.50min on partially dump Kesselchen point. Also Doettingher Hoehe top speed was nothing special(slower then 997 Turbo for example)...

BTW, that same day Frank Stippler drove R10(new V10 version of R8) test mule on the Ring and he was faster(!!) then Horst in GT-R. Also higher end speed on Doettinger Hoehe...

Part of me hopes that the GT-R kicks Porsche's butt so that the Turbo facelift is a car worth having.

I' m very impatient to see the real tests.
    The car is very heavy , I have been surprised by the claimed performance. Is the 4WD transmission that good that it counteract the extra weight ?
    But if this car is as fast as a TT for nearly half the price, then..... a lot can be forgiven ( looks, weight, badge....)

Quote:
    Crash said:
    [Part of me hopes that the GT-R kicks Porsche's butt so that the Turbo facelift is a car worth having.

I share the view that competition is good for Porsche, but I wonder if they are running up against the final limitations of the 911 platform/layout. This has been discussed to death I know, but IMO Porsche need a new GT platform for the next 40 years; Nissan may be pointing the way with a front mid-engine, 4wd-capable layout. Now if Porsche could only build this with 200kg less weight, we would have a winner.

Back to Temm's post, neither the Nissan label nor the looks are issues for me - rather it is the fact that this car is substantially larger than the 911, and I think (at least this afternoon...) I want something just a bit more personally sized than a large, wide, heavy GT - even one with supernatural grip (if I were in that market, a good used Maranello might be fun... ).

Quote:
    4trac said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    [Part of me hopes that the GT-R kicks Porsche's butt so that the Turbo facelift is a car worth having.

I share the view that competition is good for Porsche, but I wonder if they are running up against the final limitations of the 911 platform/layout. This has been discussed to death I know, but IMO Porsche need a new GT platform for the next 40 years; Nissan may be pointing the way with a front mid-engine, 4wd-capable layout. Now if Porsche could only build this with 200kg less weight, we would have a winner.

Back to Temm's post, neither the Nissan label nor the looks are issues for me - rather it is the fact that this car is substantially larger than the 911, and I think (at least this afternoon...) I want something just a bit more personally sized than a large, wide, heavy GT - even one with supernatural grip (if I were in that market, a good used Maranello might be fun... ).

I bet Porsche is never going to change the engine layout on their 911 range.
    The problem is, that they are indeed more interested in making money.
    They should introduce a new sportscar, one that is equally positioned as the 911 in performance...and call it maybe 191 (9 in the middle for "middle engined car")
    but this will never happen, Porsche would never allow 2 cars competing in the same house....

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Markus,

Valid point, indeed. Also, the video Nissan publsihed was sure not done with a "regular" customer car. So, in essence, all could be just a marketing hype... Which leads us back to: "let's wait for the Supertest"

Here we go, doubters are back again...
    You guys could be right, so we still do not have definitive answers. I personally think that it will be sensational. One of my good friends own a R34 GT-R that blows everything up to a LP640 away on the track. Granted his car is modded (not that heavily though), but it still points to the inherent capabilities of these cars. In Australia, we have a famous Targa race called Targa Tasmania. GT-R has featured in the pointy end in the last few years in a race that features Porsches driven by touring car legends and backed by Porsche Motorsport locally. In the new year, the R35 GT-R will be racing in Targa Tasmania. Let's see how well the new GT-2 holds up against it.

Also, this is just the "basic" version of the GT-R. I think we have all forgotten that there is still a EVO version coming! Now that is a scary thought!

Thanks temm .

I like this quote from CAR.

Quote:
    Quite simply, the new GT-R is the world's most multi-faceted supercar. There is no fast car so easy to steer, none so forgiving, no car that has more armoury in its quest to go fast and keep you out of trouble.

Just as that old GT-R resets the standards for front-engined coupés, so the new one lifts the bar ever higher. An M3 beater? Easily. M5? Think higher. This car is faster, more high-tech, sharper, more capable. Faster than a 911 Turbo on the straight. Or on the circuit. And all for normal 911 money. Genius.
    Gavin Green

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781621 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442763 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263447 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261829 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85932 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5971 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881597 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819434 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM