Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: AMG GT R

Absolutely right. Taking a 911R as opponent is nonsense, they should try this Tesla against a 911.2 Turbo S or a R8 V10 Plus as you say. These cars are in the same power league as the Tesla and also feature AWD. Outcome would be different IMO. 

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Lars997:

I agree with Nick - the menu in the video and the easter egg function is just insane. But - as lukstern says, in reality it takes just a second to press ludicrous. 

Two thoughts:

1. I would like to see the test against a Carrera S, which is the much more common 911 than a 991R
    2. You could easily recognize that in the first test the Tesla was faster but in the second run it couldn't be repeated (even after cooling down the Batteries). My experience from driving the Tesla several occasions. You have only one drag start per charge. After that the car is getting significantly slower when throttling. 

And - to stay in the thread-line. I would like to see the Tesla Model X 100P against the R8 angry

1. Why against a Carrera S? It would stand even less chance in a drag from stand still.
    2. State of charge while doing the final run was down under 10% in the Tesla. Below 20% SoC it become slower, even though it is still plenty fast. It actually has nothing to do with overheating in this scenario. I have driven a P100D a lot with numerous of full time accelerations and I was actually surprised how capable the car is doing accelerations on repeat. Yeah, if you do like 20 consecutive runs it will be slower, but who does that in the real world? 

I'm sorry Lars, but it's just not true that you have one drag start per charge.

Also.. keep in mind that the P100D is quite different animal from older P85D and P90D.

Rossi:

Absolutely right. Taking a 911R as opponent is nonsense, they should try this Tesla against a 911.2 Turbo S or a R8 V10 Plus as you say. These cars are in the same power league as the Tesla and also feature AWD. Outcome would be different IMO. 

Here you go. End of this video P100D vs 991.2 Turbo S Smiley

ps. I still find it hilarious that we're discussing a family saloon doing drag races against 911. The Tesla is just a comfortable saloon with great tech and class leading luggage space. It just happen to accelerate fast from stand still, but that's not why 99% of buyers purchase the car. It's mainly because of the smooth drivetrain in normal commuting traffic. P100D is a perfect party piece for marketing and youtubers though indecision

hm... time for moving this to a separate thread I think. But I'm sure we'll have more discussions about EV's when Porsche start to push out alternatives starting with the Mission E. Great times ahead!

lukestern:
    Rossi:

Guess he spoke too soon hah. I mean, technically it was a different outcome, but the same feelings still got hurt. indecision

lukestern:
    Rossi:

As I predicted, Turbo catches the Tesla up to 120 and will leave it in the dust thereafter, though the Turbo doesn't have the benefit of this ultra high torque right from the beginning.
    And the Porsche will do this a second time, a third, fourth, fifth and so on, until the fuel tank is empty. Case closed. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

I'm pretty sure the Tesla can do it more times than would ever be needed before getting bored. If you gotta launch 10x before you can win, you didn't really win...

noone1:

I'm pretty sure the Tesla can do it more times than would ever be needed before getting bored. If you gotta launch 10x before you can win, you didn't really win...

The Tesla will go in limp mode on a longer stretch, as we've seen in the other video, so no need to repeat it multiple times.Smiley

The problem with all these head to head videos is that they always show only short distances. Of course an electric car with AWD, high power output and massive torque will always be in front at the beginning, but when the video stops, real life begins. Smiley

--

Well, in the majority of the world real life doesn't involve anything a 911 Turbo can put to use...

noone1:

Well, in the majority of the world real life doesn't involve anything a 911 Turbo can put to use...

In the majority of the world real life doesn't need cars like a 911 Turbo, that's true. But it also doesn't need cars like a Tesla P100D, which is too big, too fat and has much too many horses for commuting.
    And that's why we talk about such comparisons here at Rennteam, with the crystal clear result that the Tesla doesn't stand a chance. Smiley

--

Sorry to say - the 0-60 debate reminds me of some kids who just tuned their ricer to a new level and now talk about their latest drag races. This is just not the level of information I am interested in. The Tesla is a mediocre car that can produce a quick 0-60 time but nothing else. It bores me to read about a Tesla. The information I am most interested in is the information about them going bankrupt after the capital market stopped injecting new cash Smiley

I thought this forum was for petrolheads with a love for real cars, so why so much Mumbo jumbo about this big golf cart???yescheekyheart

Its bad enough with the R8 stuff, but given RC's status, I guess we just need to live with thatsmileycool

I drove the AMG GTR yesterday. A large part of the test drive was under heavy rain, so not ideal, but I can say that this car is a real beast indeed!

I have had many Porsche GT cars and I intensively track my cars. I currently drive a 991 GT3 RS and the AMG GTR is definitely much faster in accelerations thanks to more hp but above all a monster torque. This torque is so huge that I was facing traction problems in the wet in 3rd gear with about 30% of throttle!

Overall an amazing and very fun car with a beautiful exterior and interior design. Especially the interior design makes 991 look really old...

The engine noise is MEGA in all modes. The best V8 turbo engine noise I know.

--

991 GT3 RS / Coming soon: AMG GTR / Gone: Cayman GT4, 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8, 997.2 GT3, Lotus Exige S, 964 Turbo 3.3

Thanks for the review!

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

GoHardGT3RS:

I drove the AMG GTR yesterday. A large part of the test drive was under heavy rain, so not ideal, but I can say that this car is a real beast indeed!

I have had many Porsche GT cars and I intensively track my cars. I currently drive a 991 GT3 RS and the AMG GTR is definitely much faster in accelerations thanks to more hp but above all a monster torque. This torque is so huge that I was facing traction problems in the wet in 3rd gear with about 30% of throttle!

Overall an amazing and very fun car with a beautiful exterior and interior design. Especially the interior design makes 991 look really old...

Thank you for a interesting reviewSmiley

I had a go with a AMG GT R also. 

I am superbly impressed. The interior is light years ahead of Porsche. The engine has no turbo lag whatsoever and the power is addictive, I only wish the steering feel is better.......even the electric assisted one in Porsche feels better than the Mercedes. 

Visibility is good enough, I jumped from the Huracan to the GT R, so I guess anything will have better view than the Lambo.

I loved the car, but at the end of the day, I really can't see myself paying more than 150k for a Mercedes. This one is well over that. For that kind of money of a AMG GT R, I would rather buy a 911 Targa GTS. At least the Porsche badge is worth the money asked.

Same thing with a Honda NSX costing over 220k. Or a Tesla over 100k. 

It's not happening with me.

P.S. The money part is CAD$. 

--

The farmer:

I thought this forum was for petrolheads with a love for real cars, so why so much Mumbo jumbo about this big golf cart???yescheekyheart

100% agree Smiley

GoHardGT3RS:

It seems that AMG is giving the customer a lot for his money in case of the GTR. I would love to see test results with the regular tires, i.e. those one can order with the car. The car would then still be quick on the track (although quite a bit slower than in the tests of this special test car they give to the press). The real argument for the GTR for me seems: you get very good performance for a very attractive price Smiley

Whoopsy:

.... At least the Porsche badge is worth the money asked.

SmileySmileySmiley

Nick - you lost me there. Why should a Porsche badge be worth anything more. I always been a huge Porsche fan, but I have to admit that build quality and technology at Mercedes is just much higher. You simply get more car for your bang and probably a much more robust car. You will see that with a GT3 you can run 400.000km or more without any serious problem. While any 911 engine might blow off after even half of it. And in regards of image - I think a Mercedes has a higher image value than Porsche by now.

The only reasons I might see is that the loss on a new car might be a little bit lower on that Porsche. 

actually the resale of the GT cars here in Switzerland are horrible - but it would be a great 2nd Hand buy for sure !

MKSGR:

The Tesla is a mediocre car that can produce a quick 0-60 time but nothing else.

This sums it up the debate perfectly in one sentence.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Rossi:
    lukestern:
    Rossi:

As I predicted, Turbo catches the Tesla up to 120 and will leave it in the dust thereafter, though the Turbo doesn't have the benefit of this ultra high torque right from the beginning.
    And the Porsche will do this a second time, a third, fourth, fifth and so on, until the fuel tank is empty. Case closed. Smiley

--

Smiley I love cars but the only reason I would consider the Tesla is...the gadgetry and software part. For this stuff, I won't pay 170k (price of a Tesla S P100D specced to my liking). I can get for 10k the latest iPhone, a nice flat screen 4k TV and some more gadgets to feed my hunger for tech. No need to get a Tesla. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Smiley

Any news about the possibly upcoming GTR Black Series version? Very quiet on this one the last months...

--

991 GT3 RS, Cayman GT4, 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8, 997.2 GT3, Lotus Exige S, 964 Turbo 3.3 / Coming March 2018: AMG GTR

Black Series is coming as GT Black Series

not as GT R Black Series (as far as I know)

Yes, sorry, this is what I meant (more hard core version than the GTR which is already not really 'soft core' indecision).

--

991 GT3 RS, Cayman GT4, 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8, 997.2 GT3, Lotus Exige S, 964 Turbo 3.3 / Coming March 2018: AMG GTR

Thanks for posting, nice! kiss

--

991.1 GT3 RS, Cayman GT4, 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8, 997.2 GT3, Lotus Exige S, 964 Turbo 3.3 / Coming March 2018: AMG GTR

AMG GTR Pro

--

AMG GTR / Lotus Exige Cup 430 Type 25 / 991.1 GT3 RS / Cayman GT4 / 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8 / 997.2 GT3 / Lotus Exige S / 964 Turbo 3.3

2020 Mercedes-AMG GT R Pro Headlines Updated 2-Door Family

Mercedes-AMG has developed a set of new coilovers for the GT R Pro where the compression and rebound can be easily adjusted through a dedicated dial on the damper. The car also utilizes an adjustable carbon fiber torsion bar up front and an adjustable, hollow steel bar at the rear. Additionally, the AMG GT R Pro comes outfitted with Uniball spherical bearings not just on the rear lower wishbones like the ‘normal’ AMG GT R but also on the upper wishbones as well. The sports car also features a carbon fiber shear panel on the underbody that promises to improve rigidity and add stability.

Elsewhere, the 2020 Mercedes-AMG GT R Pro comes outfitted with ceramic composite brakes as standard and wears a set of lightweight AMG Performance five-spoke forged wheels offered exclusively in titanium grey.

Aerodynamics also separate the AMG GT R Pro from other models. Up front, there is a new apron that incorporates carbon fiber canards to improve stability at higher speeds. Mercedes-AMG has also developed air slots in the front fenders to reduce front-axle lift while at the rear, there is a small carbon fiber aero element on each wheel arch.

Rounding out the upgrades enjoyed by the car are standard-fit Carbon Packages I and II that include new carbon detailing across various elements, including the wing mirrors, rear spoiler, and rear diffuser. With AMG GT3 racing driver Maro Engel behind the wheel, an AMG GT R Pro prototype recently lapped the Nurburgring in 7:04.632.

Like the ‘standard’ AMG GT R, the Pro features a twin-turbo 4.0-liter V8 engine with 577 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque between 1900 rpm and 5500 rpm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LlXeAR3ntw

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    663179 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401460 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254638 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229421 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59829 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4386 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853689 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    762295 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM