Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Wash without drying

I don't agree w/ some of the things mentioned but here's a decent article on washing:

http://www.autogeek.net/exterior.html

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:
    I use a leaf blower, $60 model from Toro called Super Blower. This was mentioned in the past as probably the best way to blow off excess water from the wheel and brake area so that rusty color water doesn't drip onto the inside of the rim. Of course it works perfectly for the rest of the car also. YMMV but one try with this and you might not use any other method again. Blow, then touch up with a dry towel and there won't be one spot on your car once the job is done.

I cover the tip with some duct tape so that even if I touch car, no harm is done.

Only issue is neighbors might look at you funny, going at your car with a leaf blower. Just don't do it early Sunday morning and things should be cool.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601...gt_adv_XSG10001

Be real careful w/ leaf blower's. Unless it is filtered air there is a good chance you blowing dusty air onto the paint. The Vac & Blo is made so that the air goes through a filter first. Cann, you should try the Metro Vac & Blo it's designed to blo air off auto's.

Gregg, Did you order the Jumbo or the small Metro vac? Beside the longer hose any advantage for having the wall mount version over the portable one?

Having it wall mounted inside your garage w/ enough hose to reach inside your car while on the driveway makes things a lot easier & neater then having a portable one. Having it mounted w/ enough hose means you dont ever have to fuss w/ the unit at all, no need to move it around. Also at the time when I bought mine a couple of yrs ago Griots had a wall mounted hose holder to keep everything very neat. But like I said you don't need the jumbo size one, as long as the standard size one can be mounted on the wall & you get enough hose to reach your car in the driveway. Hopefully you have an electrical outlet somewhere near the opening of the garage where you can mount it.

auto geek has it for $179.99. Just make sure to get at least 24 ft of hose:
    http://www.autogeek.net/vacnbloporva.html

This is the one I have which comes w/ 24ft of hose. If the smaller one doesn't come w/ a wall mount or you can't get extra hose then get this one:
    http://www.autogeek.net/walmounvacnb.html

These guys have it too:
    http://www.properautocare.com/jumwalmounva.html

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Gregg,

I assume you have that Vac & Blo? It's powerful enough? It's hard to judge since there is no standard but for example if you put it againts the wheel, it will blow off the water inside the wheel well and brake? The leaf blower gives a "wind" speed of 200 mph; I wonder if the Vac & Blo has some similar rating??

I don't have any problem with dirt since the car is always washed in a clean area with cement floor and the intake is held high by necessity, but the Metro Vac & Blo looks very nice and easier to handle. If the blow speed is as powerful, it would be hard for me to resist. TIA.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Be real careful w/ leaf blower's. Unless it is filtered air there is a good chance you blowing dusty air onto the paint. The Vac & Blo is made so that the air goes through a filter first. Cann, you should try the Metro Vac & Blo it's designed to blo air off auto's.

It's definitely strong enough to blow the water from brake discs/ calipers & wheels I do it every single time I wash my cars. Also easier to get the end of hose into the inside of the wheels then a leaf blower. There is also an attachment that you put on the end of the hose that channels the air from the size of the diameter of the hose to about 1/4 inch which make the force stronger. It's not going to blow as strong as a large leaf blower but it's safer & easier & imo more efficient than using a leaf blower. Plus of course it's also a Vacuum. To give you an idea I use this unit to also blow the floor of my garage, it's stronger, has more air flow than any compressed air unit. Originally I tried using a Compressor to blow off water from body panels etc. but what I found is compressor's are not designed to push large volumes of air, the opening of the hoses are way to small.

Quote:
    >> Most of our customers already know about this mighty mite of vacuum cleaners. The Metro Vac N'Blo is flat out the finest automotive detailing vacuum cleaner in the industry. In fact, it's the most powerful portable vacuum made<<
    http://www.properautocare.com/vacnprovacl.html

Also silver, just thought of another reason why I went wall mount vs portable - No electrical extension cords needed. If you go portable then you have to have an extension cord long enough to reach your car, much easier to have it wall mounted hooked into an outlet on the wall & have enough hose to reach.

re: water blade:

"Towels Are a Thing of the Past. Max used to have a tower of towels and chamois in his garage until he started using the Water Blade. I'm sure many can relate. With this product, you are reducing the need for an arsenal of towels to battle water spots. The Water Blade works faster and easier than towels. With a minimal fatigue factor, your arms will thanking you after use.

The Proof is in the T-Bar. The patented technology used for the edge of the Blade is outstanding, and has changed the way cars are dried forever. A remarkable feature of this product is that it will not cause abrasion or scratching. We've tested it on just about every surface, including the most delicate, and not one scratch was to be found. In addition to a revolutionary shape, the Water Blade itself is crafted from medical grade silicone, known for being strong yet smooth. Together, the shape and material of the Water Blade create 15 times less friction than drying with towels. This makes the Water Blade ideal for clear coats."

http://www.autogeek.net/calwatblad.html

Another benefit I found is that your wax will last longer then using just towels to dry. I still use micro fiber drying towels after I use the blade but only to finish off, absorbing the water that is left in the areas the blade wont reach which is only about 10-20%.

Here's a pic of the T-blade I was referring to.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Also silver, just thought of another reason why I went wall mount vs portable - No electrical extension cords needed. If you go portable then you have to have an extension cord long enough to reach your car, much easier to have it wall mounted hooked into an outlet on the wall & have enough hose to reach.

I see. The portable one hits you and the car and all the loose extension cord getting stuck under the tire will justify spending few min to mount the jumbo in in a proper place in the garage. I am going jumbo

Appreciate all your help guys. Lots of great info here to take care of our toys.

Quote:
    STRADALE said: I wash my cars myself which means I'm washing one or another just about every weekend & I've been washing my own cars for the past 23 yrs, it's kind of a hobby/PASSION of mine that I take seriously, I happen to really enjoy it when I know most people despise it.

I understand your passion. Like you, I wash and detail my cars...for a few years more than you have...and can get as anal as anyone out there. My personal technique is to use a Big Blue for the entire "dry" job...and given the spanking clean condition of my car after washing it, I don't get scratches from any dirt particles when using the Big Blue.

Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said: I wash my cars myself which means I'm washing one or another just about every weekend & I've been washing my own cars for the past 23 yrs, it's kind of a hobby/PASSION of mine that I take seriously, I happen to really enjoy it when I know most people despise it.

I understand your passion. Like you, I wash and detail my cars...for a few years more than you have...and can get as anal as anyone out there. My personal technique is to use a Big Blue for the entire "dry" job...and given the spanking clean condition of my car after washing it, I don't get scratches from any dirt particles when using the Big Blue.

You shouldn't not as long as you're washing correctly. I'm not saying you shouldn't use a good micro fiber drying towel like the blue one of even better the one from Griots, just saying that's what I USE to do & found the water blade in combination w/ the drying towel is more effective & easier on wax. And before I used micro fiber drying towels I used , bite my lip, cotten bath towels, there just wasn't anything else around back then. Just trying to share tips from lots of OCD days of washing. Not sure what you use to wash your car. You do have an even greater chance of scratching the paint using towels while washing when the paint is dirty then drying when the paint should be clean. I've tried everything & found the Boars hair brush from Griots is the safest & easiest and most effective way of washing. Dirt comes off of the brush when dunked in the soapy bucket vs using a towel which dirt clings to. Plus I don't have dirty towels to launder afterwards because I use a smaller brush w/ a long handle for the wheels.

Some guys think we're nuts to take such pride in washing our own cars.

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

I see. The portable one hits you and the car and all the loose extension cord getting stuck under the tire will justify spending few min to mount the jumbo in in a proper place in the garage. I am going jumbo

Appreciate all your help guys. Lots of great info here to take care of our toys.

Just makes it easier & you wont have to worry about kicking it into the car or tripping over it. Make sure when you mount it, you mount it low enough on the wall so that when you open the top of the vac. you can get your arm into it to reach the small filter on the bottom. When you go from vacumming to blowing you need to take this round filter out but leave the vacuum bag inside, that filters the air making sure you're not blowing dust or dirt. You can mount it higher on the walll too, no big deal but will need to unhook it from the wall in order to reach & remove the little filter, no biggy just something I learned after mounting it too high.

Gregg,

>>>>>I use a smaller brush w/ a long handle for the wheels.

Which brush do you use for the wheels? URL if possible please. TIA.

LOL re. the cotton bath towels.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    You shouldn't not as long as you're washing correctly. I'm not saying you shouldn't use a good micro fiber drying towel like the blue one of even better the one from Griots, just saying that's what I USE to do & found the water blade in combination w/ the drying towel is more effective & easier on wax. And before I used micro fiber drying towels I used , bite my lip, cotten bath towels, there just wasn't anything else around back then. Just trying to share tips from lots of OCD days of washing. Not sure what you use to wash your car. You do have an even greater chance of scratching the paint using towels while washing when the paint is dirty then drying when the paint should be clean. I've tried everything & found the Boars hair brush from Griots is the safest & easiest and most effective way of washing. Dirt comes off of the brush when dunked in the soapy bucket vs using a towel which dirt clings to. Plus I don't have dirty towels to launder afterwards because I use a smaller brush w/ a long handle for the wheels.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Gregg,

>>>>>I use a smaller brush w/ a long handle for the wheels.

Which brush do you use for the wheels? URL if possible please. TIA.

LOL re. the cotton bath towels.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

For a car w/ PCCB's a very soft brush will do the trick:
    http://www.autogeek.net/20inbrmoorbo.html

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1002&SKU=92547

I forget where I bought the blue wheel brush in the pic. below but for steel brake cars you need a brush that is a little more stiff than boars hair. I use the yellow brush which is stiffter than the blue one for the wheel wells.

Ah! Found where to get one. These work a little better on the wheels of a car w/ steel brakes that tend to have much dirtier wheels.

http://www.autogeek.net/tiwhbr.html

On my F430 I only need to use the Boars hair wheel brush but if my Porsche wheels are dirty the type of brush above is more effective. If you're only going to get 1 wheel brush then I'd recommend this one instead of the boars hair. In comparsion to using towels to clean wheels this is soooooo much better, especially when cleaning the inside of wheels. As long as you don't have the 997 Sport Design wheels which makes getting inside impossible w/ a brush like this.

W/ steel brakes I also use one of these little guys to get into the tight areas:
    http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=26250

Quote:
    STRADALE said:Not sure what you use to wash your car. You do have an even greater chance of scratching the paint using towels while washing when the paint is dirty then drying when the paint should be clean. I've tried everything & found the Boars hair brush from Griots is the safest & easiest and most effective way of washing.

I use Detailer's Choice wash mitts for washing the car, and for soap, wheel cleaner, polish, wax, and metal polish I use P21S products. Windows get Stoner glass cleaner. Tires/ engine compartment hoses/inside & outside black plastic parts get Vynilex or Meguires #40, and the headlights/tail lights get Plexus. I also use Meguires Final Inspection quick detail spray between washings.

Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:Not sure what you use to wash your car. You do have an even greater chance of scratching the paint using towels while washing when the paint is dirty then drying when the paint should be clean. I've tried everything & found the Boars hair brush from Griots is the safest & easiest and most effective way of washing.

I use Detailer's Choice wash mitts for washing the car, and for soap, wheel cleaner, polish, wax, and metal polish I use P21S products. Windows get Stoner glass cleaner. Tires/ engine compartment hoses/inside & outside black plastic parts get Vynilex or Meguires #40, and the headlights/tail lights get Plexus. I also use Meguires Final Inspection quick detail spray between washings.

Very cool. If you're using wash mits make sure you're using a wash bucket that has a grit guard. Or just don't let it fall into the bucket. The buckets I use from Griots have worked well but I just saw this one & think I have to have it.
    http://www.autogeek.net/car-wash-bucket-.html

This guy is funny.

>>I make it a point to try out each new product that comes through Autogeek's doors. I'm usually satisfied with their performance, maybe even impressed, but rarely am I genuinely wowed. But that was definitely the case with this Montana Original Boar's Hair Wash Brush.

I've heard car collectors speak of using a boar's hair brush to wash their vehicles, but I had never tried it myself. Could it really be that different from using a sponge or mitt? The answer is a resounding YES! The Montana Boar's Hair Wash Brush is unbelievable: it actually feels better to wash with it. The hairs are softer than I had imagined and they glide over the paint like silk. This brush is a bit of a luxury but its well worth it!

I did a little research and it turns out that a Boar's Hair Wash Brush is one of the safest ways to wash your vehicle<<
    http://www.autogeek.net/boar-hair-brush.html

Unless you want to have a museum piece, take reasonable care of your car when you wash it, wax it nicely, do not use suspected gritty brushes, mitts and cloths.

Wash the bottom half separately from the top and upper sides because that's where the worst dirt is; etc., etc., etc. .

Stuff like that.

Why? Because it's a car and it gets used in the elements. Reasonable care means only microscopic look at your paint will reveal wear and tear.

When you decide to sell, or feel really ambitious: machine polish the car, that will take care of any "abuse" you delivered to the car on the Obsessive-Compulsive-Nanometer scale.

BTW, I'd only machine polish it two or three times during the life of the clear coat. The CC isn't an inch thick you know.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Unless you want to have a museum piece, take reasonable care of your car when you wash it, wax it nicely, do not use suspected gritty brushes, mitts and cloths.

Wash the bottom half separately from the top and upper sides because that's where the worst dirt is; etc., etc., etc. .

Stuff like that.

Why? Because it's a car and it gets used in the elements. Reasonable care means only microscopic look at your paint will reveal wear and tear.

When you decide to sell, or feel really ambitious: machine polish the car, that will take care of any "abuse" you delivered to the car on the Obsessive-Compulsive-Nanometer scale.

BTW, I'd only machine polish it two or three times during the life of the clear coat. The CC isn't an inch thick you know.

All good points. Especially the one about the clear coat...it is VERY thin.

Quote:
    MMD said:

Stuff like that.

RE: Not using gritty cloths - That's a lot different then the tactic you were proposing a few months ago not to even bother washing w/ soap & water but to use damp towels to remove dirt. Glad to see you're on track now.

The part about washing the top of the car seperate from the bottom I stated in this thread 2 yrs ago & people thought I was nuts.
    http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=997&Number=126094&page=3&fpart=1

Gregg, Is the Griot's wall mount VACNBLO at $199 the same vacumme that sells for $299 at Autogeek? The griots shows 30' hose compared to 24' at AutoGeek.

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Gregg, Is the Griot's wall mount VACNBLO at $199 the same vacumme that sells for $299 at Autogeek? The griots shows 30' hose compared to 24' at AutoGeek.

No. I bought my jumbo Vac N Blo from Griots but from their web-site they only show the standard size for $199. The one for $299 on autogeek is the larger one.

Where do you see 30ft? From Griots site I see it says "extra long 6' flexible hose" for the smaller unit. I'd call Griots & see if they have the larger unit w/ 24ft or just get the one from autogeek.

ps: The 24ft. hose is 4 of the 6ft. hoses put together, jfyi.

Gotta run, have a good night!

OK thanks. Here is the link that says 30'
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=77818

I was told by the dealer not to use wheel cleaners on PCCB.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

RE: Not using gritty cloths - That's a lot different then the tactic you were proposing a few months ago not to even bother washing w/ soap & water but to use damp towels to remove dirt.

Lemme explain.

The use of stuff like Speed Shine is problematic.

My car was not dirty (was washed waxed recently) and people are saying just use california duster and the wipe on Speed Shine.

My solution was to C Dust, and use damp terry towels to lift remaining dirt BEFORE speed shining.

IOW, I use a dozen or more damp terry towels and _TURNING_FREQUENTLY_ a _huge_ number of times to "lift" dirt off. Stay away from lower dirty areas.

It's gotta be done with "lifting" not rubbing the grit in mind.

Speed Shine: weird concept to wax between washes without washing.

So how else _would_ one use products like Speed Shine without washing/drying the car first?

Great discussion about detailing. You can tell this is an obsessive group of detailers. For seven years, I hand washed my 996 weekly and dried it with the large quilted microfiber towels (the blue ones). When I got my Turbo, I decided to try the blow dry method of drying my car after washing. Moe at Glistening Perfection details my wife's car. He recommended the Challenger Airmax by Double K Industries. It is actually a hair dryer for your pets but it has all the right features for blow drying your car: an air filter, a hose with several different nozzles, two fan speeds (high and hurricane), and it heats the air too. I am now a convert to this method of drying my car. The positives are: takes much less time to dry the car, particularly the crevice areas; car is "drier" in the sense that less/no water is left in crevices; you do not touch the finish on the car, thus no swirl marks from drying towels and no wear on the wax finish; there is no better and quicker way to thoroughly dry your wheels. Negatives: a little cumbersom to haul around; noisy (I wear ear protection).

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

RE: Not using gritty cloths - That's a lot different then the tactic you were proposing a few months ago not to even bother washing w/ soap & water but to use damp towels to remove dirt.

Lemme explain.

The use of stuff like Speed Shine is problematic.

My car was not dirty (was washed waxed recently) and people are saying just use california duster and the wipe on Speed Shine.

My solution was to C Dust, and use damp terry towels to lift remaining dirt BEFORE speed shining.

IOW, I use a dozen or more damp terry towels and _TURNING_FREQUENTLY_ a _huge_ number of times to "lift" dirt off. Stay away from lower dirty areas.

It's gotta be done with "lifting" not rubbing the grit in mind.

Speed Shine: weird concept to wax between washes without washing.

So how else _would_ one use products like Speed Shine without washing/drying the car first?

Speed Shine is NOT a wax. The purpose of a product like Speed Shine is to give someone something they can spot clean on a relatively clean car. It's a lubricant that makes wiping the car safer then just using a damp towel. But it's not meant to use over the entire car especially when it's dusty or dirty. Say you just washed & dried your car but then notice you left finger prints, this is when Speed Shine is great. Or say you drive under and overpass & water drops on your car then Speed Shine on a micro fiber towel works perfect. Or say you parked at your office & come out to notice a bird has done its business on your fine Porsche car then lots of Speed Shine can be used.

If someone said to me - "What do fine scratches in the clear coat look like", I would do exactly what you're doing. I would take out "damp terry towels" and wipe a dusty car with them. Seriously, I can't think of an easier way to put fine scratches in a car. By using a "dozen or more damp terry towels" you're NOT "lift"ing dirt off as much as you are speading it around & putting fine scratches in your clear coat. It's not irreversible like if someone keyed through the paint but without a doubt is doing more harm then good. Anyone that has any knowledge about car care will tell you to clean a car you need LOTS of water and LOTS of suds.

Look, I don't know what to say to you. A short time ago you started a thread that you were shocked at the thousands of fine scratches on your car. I tried in the past to give you recommendations that I honestly think will help you but you seem pretty set in your ways. Good luck.

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    OK thanks. Here is the link that says 30'
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=77818

Silver!!! LoL!! That's the wrong vac. That unit is strictly a vacuum not a blower.

Don't know why I didn't see it yesterday but here it is on Griots site. "90514 Wall Mounted Four-Peak Horsepower Vacuum"
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_3000&L2=L2_3060&SKU=90514

Notice the hose holder? That's the one I got, it works great:
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?SKUupsell=81304

I would call Griots & tell them that autogeek has it for $299 and see if they'll match the price because Griots has it for $349.00.

autogeek's jumbo Vac N Blo:
    http://www.autogeek.net/walmounvacnb.html

Just bought the half gallon version this foam gun:
    http://www.autogeek.net/pihagafofogu.html

http://www.autogeek.net/foam-gun.html

This foam formula:
    http://www.autogeek.net/foam-gun-soap.html

And this bucket:
    http://www.autogeek.net/car-wash-bucket-.html

Gregg, you're a sick man! Sick I say! Just kidding...you got me to buy the half gallon foam gun and soap too. I don't think I'd need to get the bucket though. I have so many different ones already!

I've been silent throughout this thread because for the most part I'm happy with just lurking here.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Gregg, you're a sick man! Sick I say! Just kidding...you got me to buy the half gallon foam gun and soap too. I don't think I'd need to get the bucket though. I have so many different ones already!

I've been silent throughout this thread because for the most part I'm happy with just lurking here.

I know. I know. Guilty as charged!

Dont think I'm going to get better anytime soon either if anything the sickness is getting WORSE!

Thanks for chimming in, at least I'm not alone

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782126 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442913 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263523 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261960 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86021 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6033 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881700 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819858 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM