Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: Olive 991.2 GT3 Clubsport

I like that no lift upshift feature as described. Is there really a gear position indicator in the tach for the manual?  Interesting if so. Too much pressure is generally due to the tire installer simply not adjusting pressure down after mounting the tires. Awesome car Porker!  

The breakin sounds like an automotive strip tease. Awaiting the 8500 rpm lap dance 💃 report. 

DaveGordon:

Mine bitches like anything about low pressures, even when it's wrong and the pressures are actually higher than spec.  Amazing it doesn't complain at 2x the the spec pressure.

I think the STPMS (Stupid Tire Pressure Monitoring System) warns when it thinks the pressure droppes too much or if it too low.

So say you go on track and end up with a pressure of 3.0 - take a short break - drop the pressure to 2.3 - I'd guess that STPMS will get angry with you and you must reset the stupid system and let the system re-learn which sometimes can take a while.

(Yes, you guessed it: I kind of hate TPMS or more precise: How it is implemented)

Leawood911:

Is there really a gear position indicator in the tach for the manual?  Interesting if so.

Yes, began with GT4 

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Hope they fixed the STPMS in the .2 cars.. Mine even does idiotic things like issue new red low pressure warnings (-0.4 bar) whilst simultaneously reading 2.1 for a front! i.e. the correct pressure!  I've seen the same -0.4 warnings for rears reading 2.3 - the system for some reason decides that they should be 2.7 suddenly??  Rubbish.

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Kobalt:
    DaveGordon:

Mine bitches like anything about low pressures, even when it's wrong and the pressures are actually higher than spec.  Amazing it doesn't complain at 2x the the spec pressure.

I think the STPMS (Stupid Tire Pressure Monitoring System) warns when it thinks the pressure droppes too much or if it too low.

So say you go on track and end up with a pressure of 3.0 - take a short break - drop the pressure to 2.3 - I'd guess that STPMS will get angry with you and you must reset the stupid system and let the system re-learn which sometimes can take a while.

(Yes, you guessed it: I kind of hate TPMS or more precise: How it is implemented)

+ 1 The TPMS on the track is not worthy of a Porsche . Just gives you headache and confusions . It takes years to learn how to ignore it Smiley   Why can't they make it more adapted to track use Smiley  The track mode comes off each time you change pressure Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Leawood911:

I like that no lift upshift feature as described.

Smiley I don't get it at all . If you don't want to lift , get a PDK . If you get manual it is to do it yourself ! Same for auto rev .  If you need/want that , get a PDK which does it much better , otherwise do it fully manual .  

Manual is getting more and more hybrid .  In no time there will be a automatic clutch SmileySmiley

--

Sportomatic! Haven’t we been there before?

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Porker:IWN7jQvNQM+oCdj4Sk7K9g.jpgI arrived in Brussels, exhausted, but extremely happy with the car. I can't wait to properly stretch its legs and start the adventures.

Porker, first of all, this is a beautiful shot, second, I can imagine how excited you must have been to pick up your GT3 in this amazing and unique PTS color, especially after such a long flight! Like you wrote, let the adventure begin and put her into warp drive!! SmileySmiley

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS  blush

Gnil:
    Leawood911:

Smiley I don't get it at all . If you don't want to lift , get a PDK . If you get manual it is to do it yourself ! Same for auto rev .  If you need/want that , get a PDK which does it much better , otherwise do it fully manual .  

Manual is getting more and more hybrid .  In no time there will be a automatic clutch SmileySmiley

You still have to push the clutch and move the shift lever. It is just interesting. A way to be almost as quick as PDK and still have a manual. Perfect. 

Gnil:
    Leawood911:

You’re just jealous Smiley

The new Manual lets you shift totally manually or nearly as automated as PDK.  

There’s no longer a good reason to get PDK Smiley, except the money shift  Smiley

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

test done last weekend...no way for this manual box to be an hybrid or pdk wanna be...yes

in sport mode, the computer is doing adjustment as the pdk does, and does it perfectly. maintaining the rev for upshift, heel and toe for downshift.angel

in normal mode, you are on your own.kiss

disconnect TC and you are on for a rodeo tripsmiley

now I just need to test the launch control

--

GT Lover

Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 on order

991 GT3 2014(sold)

CAYENNE GTS 2014

@ Leawood and Grant :

And that's maybe the reason the manual is not loosing too much time on long tracks VS the PDK .....  Let's improve even more the manual, eventually it will become a PDK Smiley

I would love to own both ..... but the manual I like it to be a real manual 

Smiley

--

DaveGordon:

Sportomatic! Haven’t we been there before?

Would love to see at least a limited edition car with some sorts of Sportomatic from Porsche.

The new 911 T would have been a perfect product for that endeavor. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Gnil:

..... but the manual I like it to be a real manual 

If you drive it like a real manual, it is a real manual (no need to perform "no-lift" upshifts nor use auto-rev matching nor use launch control).  Just because it can do those things, doesn't mean you are forced to use them.

I've had my car for 2,000km and never even tried to launch or no-lift...

I've only used Sport mode (Rev Match downshifts) on the track

--

Grant:
    Gnil:

..... but the manual I like it to be a real manual 

If you drive it like a real manual, it is a real manual (no need to perform "no-lift" upshifts nor use auto-rev matching nor use launch control).  Just because it can do those things, doesn't mean you are forced to use them.

I've had my car for 2,000km and never even tried to launch or no-lift...

I've only used Sport mode (Rev Match downshifts) on the track

--

I have never, ever  used launch on my RS ( 20'000 km ) 

Aren't you forced to use auto blip in sports mode ?   Just picking on details , I know the box is a true manual , but still, these things are slowly kreeping in . Maybe at the end, we will have a real manual that has paddles too Smiley Best of both world 

--

Gnil:
    Aren't you forced to use auto blip in sports mode ?   Just picking on details , I know the box is a true manual , but still, these things are slowly kreeping in . Maybe at the end, we will have a real manual that has paddles too Smiley Best of both world 

The Sport mode ONLY controls the auto-blip.  It does nothing else.  So, you can turn on/off the Auto Blip easily.

--

Grant:
    Gnil:

The Sport mode ONLY controls the auto-blip.  It does nothing else.  So, you can turn on/off the Auto Blip easily.

Good to know Smiley But then that sports button is actually just a  gimmick  if it does nothing else . They should of called the button : Auto blip on/off

--

Gnil:
    Grant:
    Gnil:

Good to know Smiley But then that sports button is actually just a  gimmick  if it does nothing else . They should of called the button : Auto blip on/off

Sure, they could re-name it.  Has the same name in GT4...

--

Porker a very big big congratulations on your great car! Belgium roads have a nice extra ride!

--

965 3.3turbo/  993 targa / 996 cab /997S cab/996 GT3

Audi A6 3.0 biturbo Quattro/Mini JCW/ 993 cab// boxster spyder

I managed to squeeze in a few extra miles, it's at 1100km, so still 800km of running it in, however the 7k RPM is now on the table and that's again a wonderful additional stage of performance and noise. It's really noticeable how much more pleasant the engine sounds in the interior compared to the Mezger. That said, I'm sure that from the outside the Mezger sounds better.

It was 3° and greasy, so hardly ideal for MPSC, but it serves to highlight a chassis which is noticeably sharper than a 997's, with much, less understeer. Perhaps an easier car to drive hard on track because of it, but it does mean you're on opposite lock quite often on greasy roads, whereas the 997 would push wide first as a warning. It feels solid on the road, like it's carved from a block of granite, I recall I had the same impression when first driving the 997 RS. the gearshift, while nice, is maybe a little bit too light for a car of this calibre, I'd like it to feel a bit more mechanical/heavy. That said, the gearing is much better than on previous manual GT3's, gone is that long geared feeling, gears feel tightly packed with acceleration to show for it.

The color remains very interesting, it changes completely depending on the hour of day, the sunlight, ... ranging from a dark 'camo' green to a light, grass-like green. I love it but you need to be prepared for it. indecision

1517764804425IMG_0345.JPG

wI%%3EdJRLCD3pQQSokndQ.jpg
    Fk1DQWh%Sx2gfG6uKb4g3A.jpg

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

this is a really cool color.kiss

for sure different

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 arriving, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

Gewöhnungsbedürftig. Do like it though...

Happy motoring! Your opinion on the PCCB's?

DuckieRS:

I haven't really had to brake properly yet, so difficult to say anything useful. They make a pleasant grinding noise when braking gently. They scared me somewhat on the autoroute when driving +/- 50km in heavy rain without braking, and then suddenly needing them, it took a fraction of a second to get some friction. Aside from that, they work fine, pedal feel is top notch. 

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Despite what you said about the shifter, don't you just love how precise it is? It is tight, there is no play on the movement and it's like slotting in a rifle bolt.

There is no way one can miss a shift using that shifter. 

--

Whoopsy:

Despite what you said about the shifter, don't you just love how precise it is? It is tight, there is no play on the movement and it's like slotting in a rifle bolt.

It is precise, absolutely agreed, but if you have to compare it to a rifle bolt, then it does feel like a plastic rifle bolt, where I would expect it to feel 'metallic'. If that analogy makes sense?

--

Porker:
    DuckieRS:

I haven't really had to brake properly yet, so difficult to say anything useful. They make a pleasant grinding noise when braking gently. They scared me somewhat on the autoroute when driving +/- 50km in heavy rain without braking, and then suddenly needing them, it took a fraction of a second to get some friction. Aside from that, they work fine, pedal feel is top notch. 

I really love the color. Beware that when leaving a car wash the pccb brakes will do nothing for seconds. Much worse than when in the rain as you describe. Get a feel for it. Other than that you will love them. 

Enjoy the car and be safe!!

Fantastic pics Frank, thanks for sharing!

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Superbe photos ! And we can see the different color of the olive . In that parking entrance it looks like a war tank indecisionkiss

looking forward to read you longer term impressions about PCCB , the color of the rims , and the sound of the exhaust 

--

Porker:
    Whoopsy:

It is precise, absolutely agreed, but if you have to compare it to a rifle bolt, then it does feel like a plastic rifle bolt, where I would expect it to feel 'metallic'. If that analogy makes sense?

If I am reading you right, do you mean you prefer the shift effort to be a bit heavier, need some extra effort to use? Like pushing a bit harder to get into it's slots? 

If that's the case, I think I know what you mean and I would agree the shifter perhaps needs a little bit more input effort, not much for my taste though. I have 3 different shifters in 4 manual cars right now, the 911R and the GT3 are basically the same one, the 3.6 is the shifter of old, needs more effort to push into a gear slot but it is not as precise and has a lot of play. The Aston is just a lottery game, every shift is a game of chance, 1 in 3 chances to get into a correct gear, it WILL get into a gear slot, but it may not be the correct one. 

--

Whoopsy:
    Porker:
    Whoopsy:

If I am reading you right, do you mean you prefer the shift effort to be a bit heavier, need some extra effort to use? Like pushing a bit harder to get into it's slots? 

If that's the case, I think I know what you mean and I would agree the shifter perhaps needs a little bit more input effort, not much for my taste though. I have 3 different shifters in 4 manual cars right now, the 911R and the GT3 are basically the same one, the 3.6 is the shifter of old, needs more effort to push into a gear slot but it is not as precise and has a lot of play. The Aston is just a lottery game, every shift is a game of chance, 1 in 3 chances to get into a correct gear, it WILL get into a gear slot, but it may not be the correct one. 

Indeed, a bit more effort would make it feel perhaps a bit more 'heavy duty'? Now it's a touch too effortless to slot it into gear. The 997 RS' shifter felt like an actual mechanical part, here it's a touch too civilized perhaps. That said, you can shift much quicker, and I love the location of the stick itself.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691006 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410144 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256201 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235408 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65744 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858796 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775107 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM