Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

I don't get it

Ok, admittedly I am not close to being a car expert and not even close to being a car enthusiat with most of you guys knowledge. Just a question though, If we look strictly at performance specs (not track times because I am asking for daily driving use) why would anyone justify the prrce of a GT2 or any Ferrari over a TT? I am very close to my production date on my Turbo Cab. zero to sixty and top speeds are so close, even with the 599GTB Fiorino. Obviously, there are differences between Ferrari and Porsche. More exclusivity, handmade Ferraris, I get it. i also get the fact that the cars have different appeals. I just get confused when I read almost every publication falling all over some models, and their respective specs are not better. Yes the GT2 has a higher all out top speed. So what> ??

Re: I don't get it

Quote:
    Rickless said:
    Ok, admittedly I am not close to being a car expert and not even close to being a car enthusiat with most of you guys knowledge. Just a question though, If we look strictly at performance specs (not track times because I am asking for daily driving use) why would anyone justify the prrce of a GT2 or any Ferrari over a TT? I am very close to my production date on my Turbo Cab. zero to sixty and top speeds are so close, even with the 599GTB Fiorino. Obviously, there are differences between Ferrari and Porsche. More exclusivity, handmade Ferraris, I get it. i also get the fact that the cars have different appeals. I just get confused when I read almost every publication falling all over some models, and their respective specs are not better. Yes the GT2 has a higher all out top speed. So what> ??

Guess a Toyota Camry driver would say the same about your Turbo Cab?

As to what a Prius driver might say about it ..... well, let's not go there.

Rickless,

you are absolutely correct about the specs. However, the cars are more than the sum of their specs and tend to have appeals that you cannot put a number to.

a toyotas specs are not even close to the turbo. looking for real answers here. not sarcasm. are you saying the turbo is like a camry when compaerd to the other cars in my original post?

that I undertstand and totally agree with. Thanks. I just wanted some other takes on this subject.

Quote:
    Rickless said:
    a toyotas specs are not even close to the turbo. looking for real answers here. not sarcasm. are you saying the turbo is like a camry when compaerd to the other cars in my original post?

No, I was saying that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that depending on your own situation or standpoint at any one time you could, for example, find anything from a new Camry to a Bugatti Veyron to be unjustifiably expensive.

One man's unattainable dreamcar might be another's beater.

Not sarcasm, just the simple point that you cannot project your own personal views as being universally valid, so there are no "real answers".

got it thanks. jetlag from the LA Auto show makes me cranky.

The TT is a fantastic _GT_ "luxury" car that you can take anywhere; to the Post Office, 500 miles on the Interstate, up and down Highway 1, to the track, to work every morning.

It 's comfortable for the occupants, has luggage space, it's docile and compliant in the city, and most importantly transforms into a monster in the passing lane.

In more subdued colors, TT often escapes attention by onlookers, unlike the justifiably-fabulous Ferraris for which annoyingly constant attention is normal. Also unlike the F-car: maintenance/repair costs for the TT are merely extreme, not astronomical.

Like the Carrera GT, Porsche created the Supercar TT which is a "bargain."

That's my POV on the respectable issue you raised.

I think the auto journalists are making the point that the GT2 is the (currently) ultimate 911 Turbo. Considering everything the factory has done to optimize this car's performance, it really is quite a car. I'm not sure it would be every TT owner's idea of a DD, but for some it may be. I think if I had the choice of buying the GT2 or the F-car, I'd prob go with the GT2. Mainly because I like the "ultimate". I don't think I would feel comfortable taking a Ferrari to the track, anyway.

For the extra money over a TT, it may not be worth it. But you really do pay more when you get incremental increases at the very top end of almost any sports car line, it seems.

IMO, car mag impressions are dubious at best....they don't hand out journalist jobs to just anyone....

The various pseudo-quant, pseudo-precise perf stats mean little....

Real question is which car(s) does one enjoy driving vs one's skill lvls; local driving conds; risk/reward tolerances of perf vs safety....to each his own...and I suspect the answers vary even for same individual over time.....there's a certain charm w/driving/owning first great cars, but after a few of them (like most things in life), one often becomes more jaded/less easily impressed....more curmudgeonly about what characteristics of any car suit one's preferences....and prob become more brand-indifferent in comparing P vs F vs AMG, realizing the strengths/weaknesses of each mfr....and observing the (changing) slope of innovation/perf/safety/useability at each mfr....

Some like multiple cars in their fleet to serve various moods/purposes....others like to consolidate their choices.....many w/lim time would rather be able to become comfortable/facile w/2-3 cars as both daily commuters/wkend cars....all cars within 6-12mos become obsolete/scuffed-up/decayed w/time/use/disuse anyway, no matter how well-detailed/parked/maintained.....side-effect of increased tech intensity of cars is that they are all as obsolescent/disposable as any smartphone/iPod/laptop/flat-screen TV....

And cost is a fairly subjective/irrational analysis anyway....no one "needs" any of these perf cars...so "value" is fairly subjective/emotional....and a ?$100K+ one-yr deprec cost on a discretionary car may have different value to a 35yo single guy worth a few $MM vs a 35yo single guy worth $100MM++....can be a financially material comparo to some vs a trivial, rounding-error cost to others....

Net, net, no doubt 997TT is among the world's 5 or so leading cars today .....but the only ranking that matters is one's own.....

The 997TT is a do-everything high performance car. That's both the good news and the bad news.

You can drive it on errands around town, commute in traffic to work, take it on highway trips, in any kind of weather, or race it on the track. It can be mild mannered or a monster. One of the joys is letting traffic ahead on a freeway on-ramp clear out, and then nail it. Hold on! What a rush.

The bad news is that there are other very high performance cars that will do specific tasks better. None are better around town. A Ferrari has an aural appeal that's in another league. It has a street presence that the TT lacks. It will attract attention way beyond a TT (whether that's good or bad is up to you). But then you wouldn't use it as a DD or take it on errands, and you basically can't get a new one unless you're a previous Ferrari owner. Nor does it have the reliability of a Porsche.

A GT2 in some ways is a TT "only more so" but doesn't have quite the versatility or the all-weather performance. I wonder, too, being 2wd, if the performance is as accessible to normal drivers as the TT.

Ultimately, as others have said, it's basically up to what's important to you.

Myself, I wanted a semi-DD for all weather conditions, and found the TT to be ideal. The performance increase over a 997S is substantial; nail the throttle and the experience is almost primal.

Local condition is important consideration

I love the 997TT more when it rains. And it rains so much here in the Pacific NW.

Yes, the tt is a great all rounded sports car.

but, it is still too heavy compared with 430, gt2, rs.

lightweight equal more fun and much better steering feel.

you said it buddy... being different and exclusive... knowing you got the extra juice, even if you never use it... owning the top of the range car... saying I paid $50k more than your car... saying a drive a rear-wheel not a four wheel turbo, cause i am a great driver... etc. etc. etc.

and the very few strictly for the specific driving pleasure they get from this or that car...

Quote:
    WBH said:
    IMO, car mag impressions are dubious at best....they don't hand out journalist jobs to just anyone....
    The various pseudo-quant, pseudo-precise perf stats mean little....

Funny. There are some good ones. Mostly at _Excellence_

The C&G and R&T ones I can't take seriously. They get excited about Chevy vs. Pontiac's economy class cars and with their salaries they couldn't even make payments on a Boxster. I enjoyed myself when I saw them on TV getting all excited about the defunct "Carrera-inspired" Chrysler Crossfire.

Sorry..., I know it's mean, but I enjoy it.

Quote:
    Eaglejackson said:

The bad news is that there are other very high performance cars that will do specific tasks better.

Not bad news, more like mostly irrelevant news because 95% (90%?, 99%?) of people who buy VHP cars will never drive them on a track.

There are very few specific tasks left which are public road appropriate. Yes, getting more looks from strangers is one of them: Ferrari and Lambo win that honor; you'll have to pay dearly for that honor though.

It's not bad news for me because I fall into the 95%-99%. But bad news for those who do care a lot about track experience. For those people, there are better supercars like a GT2 or GT3. But then you give up some everyday friendliness.

Getting fewer looks is a plus for me with the Turbo.

Also, for pure joy of handling on public roads, I really like a Boxster S, which I previously owned before the Turbo. It's light (relative to a Turbo at least) and nimble. It's not in the same league as the Turbo obviously overall, but for driving in the twisties, it was sublime.

Quote:
    Eaglejackson said:
    But bad news for those who do care a lot about track experience.

Also, for pure joy of handling on public roads, I really like a Boxster S,

Yeah, I see your point. I _gotta_ get beyond and get on a track (PDE or Driver's Ed) with this car.

Yes, and you make another excellent point. Boxster is a great car. Karl Ludvigsen called it "Porsche's Masterpiece" when he was referring to driver's cars.

I kept mine (986S) and still marvel at the difference between the TT and it. Both great cars. Hey! I wonder if the CGT is the _combination_ of Turbo and Boxster? Probably is that and _more_.

The Boxster doesn't get much respect but is a great car. Good for you to keep both; I didn't have room for both (plus my X5 and my wife's Cayenne).

Would I rather own a TT over a GT2, GT3, F430, Gallardo, A-M Vantage, etc. ? For what I want, an everyday all-weather supercar, no question. At the same time, I accept that there are cars which are better at specific things than the TT.

Heck, I don't expect my TT to be able to tow a boat or haul lumber or take off trail to hiking spots or go skiing with in the mountains, either.

Quote:
    Eaglejackson said:

Heck, I don't expect my TT to be able to tow a boat or haul lumber or take off trail to hiking spots or go skiing with in the mountains, either.

But you could.

I don't think I could live like this: ( )

No, I couldn't do that either. Nor would my TT make it to the trailhead for many of the places I mountain bike. (That's a Santa Cruz Nomad mtn bike, a fantastic bike).

Happy a happy thanksgiving!

every car is made to fit the preferences of a certain group of drivers. and if u say that lap times and track handling are not imortant to you but u see the car as an every day vehicle, then the price increase from the turbo to the GT2 might not seem justified to u. However, if u would be interested in the improvements in handling ability, an even more brutal appearance and even more power than an average driver is able to use in the US on a daily drive --> go for the GT2..
    as it sounds to me though u made everything right with the turbo cab...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782059 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442896 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263517 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261945 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86010 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6026 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881691 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819793 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM