Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Fatal accident with AUDI R8

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Paralizer said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    This guy would have survived had he worn a seatbelt. Most crashes nowadays are survivable unless coming to a very sudden stop or rolling for a long distance.

When will people learn?

Nonsense and pure speculation on your part. Airbags do a much better job of protecting you from a frontal crash than seatbelts.

Excessive speed will kill you no matter what.

Actually your statement is more the erroneous one. I've been working in emergency services for over 25 years and based on what I see in these pictures this appears to be a very survivable crash, if your wearing a seatbelt. The picture that is most significant is the final one that shows the side view of the drivers area. The drivers area is for the most part intact. The A and B pillars show minimal damage. The roof also maintained its integrity. The drivers seat remained attached to the vehicle and the steering wheel is intact. What can't be seen is the footwell. Based on the front pictures I would presume there might be some intrusion into that area. Damage in that area typically results in fractures to the long bones of the lower extremities. While serious, generally not fatal.

The drivers door of the vehicle is missing. That could be from the accident or from the rescue itself. With that in mind the most probable scenario is that the driver either "pinballed" within the vehicle or was ejected, either of which could be prevented by a seatbelt.

Bottom line is this, seatbelts are your absolute best defense in a vehicle accident. Airbags are a good supplement. But they are just that, a supplement. These statements do not come from speculation, but from direct observation having responded to thousands of accidents over the past 25 years. And yes I'm still a total gearhead who loves to jump in my 987S, buckle up, and go have some fun in the twisties or at the track.

Take a look at the second picture. The hood has buckled and the bumper is completely missing. Now, tell me at no point in this accident was there a frontal collision.

The most likely scenario is the guy died upon impact due to excessive speed.

I did see the second picture. What that picture shows is that the car did exactly what it was supposed to do. Cars are designed to crumple and deform in a preset manner to dissipate energy to protect the occupants. This vehicle did just that. The hood is bent in the standard engineering manner and pieces of the vehicle are designed to come off to help dissipate the energy and forces of the accident. Again the key picture is the drivers cell. The drivers cell is almost completely intact. The fact that there is so much damage to the front indicates the car was dissipating the energy so that it would not transfer to the human occupants. This is the science of modern automotive safety engineering. However none of this works without the occupant(s) wearing their seat belts. Again I say this is not from speculation, but from direct observation.

Quote:
    Paralizer said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Paralizer said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    This guy would have survived had he worn a seatbelt. Most crashes nowadays are survivable unless coming to a very sudden stop or rolling for a long distance.

When will people learn?

Nonsense and pure speculation on your part. Airbags do a much better job of protecting you from a frontal crash than seatbelts.

Actually your statement is more the erroneous one. I've been working in emergency services for over 25 years and based on what I see in these pictures this appears to be a very survivable crash, if your wearing a seatbelt. The picture that is most significant is the final one that shows the side view of the drivers area. The drivers area is for the most part intact. The A and B pillars show minimal damage. The roof also maintained its integrity. The drivers seat remained attached to the vehicle and the steering wheel is intact. What can't be seen is the footwell. Based on the front pictures I would presume there might be some intrusion into that area. Damage in that area typically results in fractures to the long bones of the lower extremities. While serious, generally not fatal.

The drivers door of the vehicle is missing. That could be from the accident or from the rescue itself. With that in mind the most probable scenario is that the driver either "pinballed" within the vehicle or was ejected, either of which could be prevented by a seatbelt.

Bottom line is this, seatbelts are your absolute best defense in a vehicle accident. Airbags are a good supplement. But they are just that, a supplement. These statements do not come from speculation, but from direct observation having responded to thousands of accidents over the past 25 years. And yes I'm still a total gearhead who loves to jump in my 987S, buckle up, and go have some fun in the twisties or at the track.

Take a look at the second picture. The hood has buckled and the bumper is completely missing. Now, tell me at no point in this accident was there a frontal collision.

I did see the second picture. What that picture shows is that the car did exactly what it was supposed to do. Cars are designed to crumple and deform in a preset manner to dissipate energy to protect the occupants. This vehicle did just that. The hood is bent in the standard engineering manner and pieces of the vehicle are designed to come off to help dissipate the energy and forces of the accident. Again the key picture is the drivers cell. The drivers cell is almost completely intact. The fact that there is so much damage to the front indicates the car was dissipating the energy so that it would not transfer to the human occupants. This is the science of modern automotive safety engineering. However none of this works without the occupant(s) wearing their seat belts. Again I say this is not from speculation, but from direct observation.

Nice job explaining it!

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    [...] upon impact due to excessive speed.

Out of respect for the remaining family I find it very undecent to extensively discuss reason and outcome of this accident. Member Paralizer gave a credible explanation reg. the subject and I tend to agree to both medical and physical comments.

As a little sidenote, I have no difficulties discussing that subject in a general manner but maybe we should do so in a separate thread?

Well guys. Here what i think. This guy crashed = ok.
    He died = ok.
    Certainly drove to fast = his problem.
    But most important thing = He didn't involved another car and another person.
    End of the story and what he left behind him = well sad thing.
    Welcome to heaven and peace to his family

Quote:
    Paralizer said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Paralizer said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

When will people learn?

We must not be looking at the same last picture.
    What I see is major damage to the side frame of the car. This would imply that it was the initial contact of this crash. And why I say the the driver died upon impact.

The driver was driving excessively (triple digit) fast, lost control and hit something from the side...a tree, a lamppost, a telephonepole, etc.and died. Again, take a close look at the last picture. Imagine how damaged the door was after it was removed. You can also imagine the damage it would do to the side of the driver's head and body.

Which is why I say a fastened seatbelt would not have saved him. Nor, would a seatbelt in conjuntion with side curtain airbags. The guy was going too fast. Period!

Okay, here why the driver didn't "pinball" around in the cabin:

1. The roof of the car is undamaged, which means the driver was not tossed around like a rag doll.

2. There is only major damage to the side and front of this car. It would have to hit numerous objects to force the driver to pinball around.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Paralizer said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Paralizer said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

When will people learn?

What I see is major damage to the side frame of the car. This would imply that it was the initial contact of this crash. And why I say the the driver died upon impact.

The driver was driving excessively (triple digit) fast, lost control and hit something from the side...a tree, a lamppost, a telephonepole, etc.and died. Again, take a close look at the last picture. Imagine how damaged the door was after it was removed. You can also imagine the damage it would do to the side of the driver's head and body.

Which is why I say a fastened seatbelt would not have saved him. Nor, would a seatbelt in conjuntion with side curtain airbags. The guy was going too fast. Period!

1. The roof of the car is undamaged, which means the driver was not tossed around like a rag doll.

2. There is only major damage to the side and front of this car. It would have to hit numerous objects to force the driver to pinball around.

For clarification reasons:

Do you still stand by this quote made earlier

Quote:
    Airbags do a much better job of protecting you from a frontal crash than seatbelts.

I have a very clear view on who's correct in this discussion, but will let the experts do the convincing..

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Very sad. Yes, he should have had his seatbelt on.

However, the crash may not have been his fault. And the seatbelts and airbags may not have been enough to mitigate the kinetic energy from the impact.

Yes, somebody actually understands the big picture!
    Remember Ben had his seatbelt on, airbags deployed and he was wearing a helmet in his CGT, yet ended ep dead.

Excessive speed kills no matter what.

No, absolutely everybody agrees on that part, who wouldn't?

But you said to Crash: "Nonsense and pure speculation on your part. Airbags do a much better job of protecting you from a frontal crash than seatbelts". Thats a different story altogether and what was obviously rebuted by other members, and not that seatblets and airbags can save you from ALL posible accidents.

Go back and read his statement. He stated wearing a seat belt would've save the driver's life as if it were a scientific fact.

That is pure speculation and utter nonsense.

You have a knack for sidetracking yourself.

Utter nonsense is stating that airbags do a much better job of protecting you from a frontal crash than seatbelts, period. I would bother elaborating again but Paralizer has done such a great job, its all cristal clear already.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Paralizer said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Paralizer said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

When will people learn?

There are no absolutes in crashes. That said there is very specific science, engineering, and technology in play with modern vehicles. Additionally the speed at which the vehicle was traveling is not the absolute determinate in a crash. A vehicle hitting a brick wall head-on at 45-50 mph generates significantly more kinetic energy on a human body than a vehicle that goes into a wall in a more lateral direction at 75-80 mph. The issue is how the kinetic energy is being transfered and how fast. The more time a vehicle has to dissipate energy the better.

Regarding seatbelt use, again there are no absolutes. However your best odds in surviving any accident is to wear your seatbelt. Your odds increase more with supplemental airbags. Airbags alone offer very little protection, although it's better than nothing.

Ultimately you will do as you choose and believe as you will. I'm speaking from my personal experience and observations, as well as what I know of automotive engineering. But I will leave you with this thought. I spend 40 plus hours a week in an emergency vehicle driving in one of the most congested urban environments in the world and I refuse to move any distance in any vehicle without buckling up.

AFAIK, airbags without seatbelts are actually worse than nothing at all. Without a seatbelt the airbags hit you too hard.

If the road is wet the vehicle will slide no matter what speed, i've spun the vr6 90 degrees on a roundabout because it was wet and the roads are covered in diesel, and the backend lost grip, i was doing 15 - 20mph at the time..

Mixture of bad weather, and excessive speed for road and conditions, and a over egoed driver.

You can't expect ti jump in a new car and drive it fast, it doesnt happen modern cars have no bite limit when driving around bends, in my mk2 golf you could feel the wheels gripping the road and this feeling wouldnt just slip but would rather decrease, where as in the new cars this feel isnt these and in most cars it's like an on/off switch, grip / no grip and it's very difficult to find it and or know when the grips about to go.

Cars use to be involving and it's this involvement which keps drivers intact, It use to feel like you were wearing the car, where as now drivers are just sitting in a car, rather like sitting on a bus.

Excellent 911digital! That's why I am still in love with the 911. From all other options the 911 is the one that "talks" the most with the driver. And perhaps 430 Scuderia And Lotus Elise So, in fact, any car that is light and has RWD and mid or rear engine

Very well said, 911digital
    Actually more driver's involvement provides two advantages in one IMO: safer driving at the limit due to better communication between the car and the driver (as you mentioned) PLUS way more driving fun

Cheers

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782235 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442936 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263530 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261981 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86041 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6042 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881727 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819981 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM