Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Help Pls: Need Spare Tire for 997 Turbo w/ PCCB

I had some rather unpleasant experience with flat bedding and fixing my 997's flat tire a while ago, so now I would like to have the ability to put on a spare and drive the car myself to my trusted wheel shop (Wheel Enhancement is 20 minutes from my house & work). I don't plan to carry the spare with me, just have it at home so that if I have a flat, instead of waiting for a flat bed truck, I'll go home first and come back in my SUV with the spare.

So could someone confirm that the "standard" Porsche spare could replace a 997 Turbo w/ PCCB's front AND rear tire? Part number? Suncoast has best price probably? I am concerned the PCCB may cause problem with fitting the spare.

Enclosed is a picture, I think of Gradyex's 997S, with the spare.

Also, do you recommend this kind of fix-a-flat product? Does it work? Any caution?
    http://www.fixaflat.com/products.asp?page=1_0

Thanks in advance.

Re: Help Pls: Need Spare Tire for 997 Turbo w/ PCCB

You've now given me the perfect excuse to explain to my wife why I have 2 complete sets of extra wheels/tires in my garage - spares.

Re: Help Pls: Need Spare Tire for 997 Turbo w/ PCC

My memory is probably shot on this BUT I am pretty sure that the spare will NOT fit the 997 Turbo equipped with PCCBs. The spare shown _will_ fit C2s with any brakes and Turbo with red (stock) brakes but I _believe_ you are SOL with Turbo and PCCBs (though it will probably only fit Turbo rear wheels equipped with PCCBs).

Re: Help Pls: Need Spare Tire for 997 Turbo w/ PCCB

We are at the end of the spare-tire era for perf cars

If car has a flat tire on roadside....would stand far away from car and call for flatbed....lots of guys are killed/maimed every yr when some ineptly-driven car slams into disabled car on side of road....changing any tire near traffic is a high-risk/low-reward maneuver....suspect economic value-at-risk of a leased, insured car is far less than physical (and economic) risk of a DIY roadside repair....

Have learned (from expces of colleagues) that, if have damaged/disabled tire/wheel on cars like 997TT/599/CL63, often there are scarce/no immediately (or even overnt) available copies of replacement tires/wheels available anywhere in CA, w/a >2-3d delay to track down a copy (at any price)....

Era of just-in-time inventory/dealer capital efficiencies/lim produc of these increasingly bespoke-spec tires/wheels by profit-challenged suppliers....

Quote:
    WBH said:

Geez, I hope not. What's changed? My answer is fools like us ( ) _allow_ mfgrs to get away with it.

I hear some countries have laws against selling a new car without a spare.

I shall never drive or buy a car that can't be equipped with a spare.

No spare just makes the car _UN_reliable.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    WBH said:

Geez, I hope not. What's changed? My answer is fools like us ( ) _allow_ mfgrs to get away with it.

I hear some countries have laws against selling a new car without a spare.

I shall never drive or buy a car that can't be equipped with a spare.

No spare just makes the car _UN_reliable.

Too large brakes; too large wheels/tires (where does one safely fit/place a damaged tire/wheel in any sportscar?)....mfrs trying to manage wt/ctr of gravity/fire risk (vs collision) issues of spare tire....etc etc..

That said, doubt that, even 10yrs ago, guys could casually opt to drive cars like 997TT/599 as their only daily commuter cars...providing an astounding level of reliability/daily-useability....

Doubt one who really analyzes risks of driving any perf car is very comfortable driving more than ?75mis outside of major urban regions for a variety of reasons.....caliber of competent trauma ctrs in any collision w/injuries; availability of flatbed tow trucks/competent dealers, etc etc....and many more arguably practical cars/SUVs offer far inferior active/passive safety (poss making competent local med ctrs more relevant than spare tires ), so I'd bet on superb overall risk/reward profile of a car like 997TT for use in more road conditions (even in Podunk) than 99%+ of other vehicles.....

"Would argue a risk averse/affluent/reward conscious owner/investor/driver should only lease this Luddite spare tire and trade in every 6 months so that depreciating cost after one year of use does not become an issue. That "wealthy" Beverly Hills car owners/drivers/tire changers should never try to change tire along CA public roads/mountain twisties. That said, have already told my dealers I want early copies of 3 different spares in CY08."?

WBH, you're actually starting to SCARE me.

Quote:
    WBH said:

If car has a flat tire on roadside....would stand far away from car and call for flatbed....lots of guys are killed/maimed every yr when some ineptly-driven car slams into disabled car on side of road....changing any tire near traffic is a high-risk/low-reward maneuver....suspect economic value-at-risk of a leased, insured car is far less than physical (and economic) risk of a DIY roadside repair....

Have learned (from expces of colleagues) that, if have damaged/disabled tire/wheel on cars like 997TT/599/CL63, often there are scarce/no immediately (or even overnt) available copies of replacement tires/wheels available anywhere in CA, w/a >2-3d delay to track down a copy (at any price)....

Era of just-in-time inventory/dealer capital efficiencies/lim produc of these increasingly bespoke-spec tires/wheels by profit-challenged suppliers....

Whatcha gonna do?:

TT gets a flat.

Can't get a replacement tire for a few days.

If no spare: biiiiig PITA. Tow truck, maybe late at night. Where's car going? Where will it sit for a few days?

If spare: change tire, drive home and park car until you want to deal with it again.

When you decide to deal with it, leave car home, bring only flat tire to drop off at dealer or tire place.

C-R-A-Z-Y to go thru spareless BS.

Let assume you have a spare of some sort that will fit over PCCB's. Will you have a jack? Will the jack be low enough to fit under the car? Will it be stable enough, say on a soft shoulder, to hold the car up while you remove and replace the wheel? Will you have a lug bolt/nut wrench? Will you have the wheel guide to permit removal and replacement of the wheel without potentially damaging the brake rotor? Then will you have room to haul your flat/wheel home or to a tire shop?

In reality the vast majority of flats will be caused by picking up some sort of sharp object such as a screw or a nail. These road hazards usually result in a slow leak that is easily detected by the TPMS. You should have time to at least get to safe place off the road, where you can call for assistance (aka a flatbed). In some cases I've been fortunate enough to be able to get off the road and use my auxiliary air pump to inflate the tire to a point that I could continue on to a more suitable location. Of course if you use the gooey tire seal stuff you'll be able to travel much further in relative safety.

My experience shows there are flatbed tow trucks virtually everywhere. (Would you believe Happy Camp California? It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from there. The guy there has a beautiful new truck and has the experience of rescuing all manner of exotic cars - for a price.)

Of more concern to me is, will I be in cell phone range when a breakdown/flat occurs?

Quote:
    cannga said:
    I had some rather unpleasant experience with flat bedding and fixing my 997's flat tire a while ago, so now I would like to have the ability to put on a spare and drive the car myself to my trusted wheel shop (Wheel Enhancement is 20 minutes from my house & work). I don't plan to carry the spare with me, just have it at home so that if I have a flat, instead of waiting for a flat bed truck, I'll go home first and come back in my SUV with the spare.

So could someone confirm that the "standard" Porsche spare could replace a 997 Turbo w/ PCCB's front AND rear tire? Part number? Suncoast has best price probably? I am concerned the PCCB may cause problem with fitting the spare.

Also, do you recommend this kind of fix-a-flat product? Does it work? Any caution?

Thanks in advance.

To be more specific to your situation, do you propose to leave your expensive car on the side of the road while you go home for your spare? Will someone always be at home to drive your SUV back home after you've repaired your flat?

Seems to me if you elect to keep a spare at home you'd be best off getting both a front and a rear spare wheel/tire to match what's already on the car.

Fix-a-flat and similar products are effective for distances sufficient to get you to a proper repair facility. Another item that might prove handy in a pinch would be a tire plug kit available at most auto supply stores.

MMD,

Thanks for the info. Looks like I might just have to call Suncoast or some dealer to confirm. The following was posted on rennteam, so it looks like it *may* fit?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Sin,
    Maybe the question has been answered fully, but just in case. I have a 997S, and as stated earlier, the trunk hood closes easily with the spare tire standing straight up. I also have a 997 turbo with nav, cd changer, and the ceramic brakes. I took the 997S spare, and with the top of the spare tire tilted back towards the riding compartment and with the base of the spare tire butted up against the front of the trunk compartment, the 997 turbo hood closes (barely). I then secure the spare tire within the trunk compartment with a couple of rolled towels on each side of the spare. The rolled towels can be then unrolled and utilized as a separator between your body (butt) and the ground if you have to remove a tire and replace it with the spare (or your back if you have to look under the car for other reasons). By the way, when one places the spare tire in the 997 turbo, one might place a thin rag (or cloth) between the top of the tire and contact with the top of the trunk compartment to reduce any vibration rubbing during driving. Once the rag separates the tire from the plastic compartment, fold the rag top excess back towards the driving compartment trunk area so that the rag utilizes no vertical space between the tire and trunk lid that could allow the trunk lid to be pressure hinged when closed. I only carry the spare when I am traveling long distances and knowing that cell phone covered could be quite limited. Apologize for the explanation if your question has been fully answered.

Alpine
    >>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
    MMD said:
    My memory is probably shot on this BUT I am pretty sure that the spare will NOT fit the 997 Turbo equipped with PCCBs. The spare shown _will_ fit C2s with any brakes and Turbo with red (stock) brakes but I _believe_ you are SOL with Turbo and PCCBs (though it will probably only fit Turbo rear wheels equipped with PCCBs).

OTH and WBH,

I will try to make this short as I really would like the thread to be about my original questions, not whether the spare is needed. My first flat was noticed at a hospital's parking lot. Second time in front of my house. No one is going to run over me or steal my car. Don't know how it is where you are, but here in LA, the wait for a flat bed (as opposed to any towing truck) is long during peak traffic hours. I have premium towing service from AAA and there is Porsche Road Assist., just DON't want to flat bed the car unless I have to. I'll make the determination of whether or not I will use the spare in any given situation; thanks for your concerns , but there is no need.

Porsche supposedly sells a kit with a jack, inside a foam package, that fits in the middle of the spare.

I did find some interesting discussion related to some issue mentioned in Stradale's tire thread! The spare tire, if not of correct diameter, could damage the differential in this 4wd car.

Quote:
    Over the Hill said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:

Thanks in advance.

To be more specific to your situation, do you propose to leave your expensive car on the side of the road while you go home for your spare? Will someone always be at home to drive your SUV back home after you've repaired your flat?

Seems to me if you elect to keep a spare at home you'd be best off getting both a front and a rear spare wheel/tire to match what's already on the car.

Fix-a-flat and similar products are effective for distances sufficient to get you to a proper repair facility. Another item that might prove handy in a pinch would be a tire plug kit available at most auto supply stores.

Here's a comp of Turbo and Carrera PCCBS.

Very sorry to say, I don't think you can fit the spare over the TT front PCCBs.

The spare is meant for 996 wheels/tires which are one inch less _overall_ diameter. On a 997 Carrera it _barely_ fits.

sorry to be off the mark but...if you have any aspirations of driving your tt out in the wilds where phone service is non - existant and adandoning on the roadside will make you seriously glad for insurance ...id suggest as others have that you invest in a p-car jack and the misc s_ _ t you need to deal effectively with a flat yourself...catastrophic tire event sat phone...cool in its own right

MMD,

Thanks so much. Gradyex just told me the same thing. My next question is about the jack. I see on sale Porsche OEM kit for 996 and Boxster that looks like the picture enclosed, any comment?

I assume the same jack works for 997? In other words, nothing unusual as far as height/where the jack is/etc. with the 997?

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Here's a comp of Turbo and Carrera PCCBS.

Very sorry to say, I don't think you can fit the spare over the TT front PCCBs.

The spare is meant for 996 wheels/tires which are one inch less _overall_ diameter. On a 997 Carrera it _barely_ fits.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    MMD,

Thanks so much. Gradyex just told me the same thing. My next question is about the jack. I see on sale Porsche OEM kit for 996 and Boxster that looks like the picture enclosed, any comment?

I assume the same jack works for 997? In other words, nothing unusual as far as height/where the jack is/etc. with the 997?

Yes jack works AND is reeeeally nice if you like nicely machined objects/tools. The foam insert isn't a good idea IMO. Takes too much space. I put jack and lug wrench in nice bag in back seat floor.

When spare is in trunk concave side facing forward there's "lots" of room IF you have small items that can be used as filler around the spare.

I anchor the spare with a simple weldment I fabricated made to use that attachment point for a belt of some sort that's up there. Here's pic:

Whats also really nice is the OEM Jack is LIGHT as a feather. I have a duffle bag in the front trunk with all the goodies I need in an emergency. I never bring my spare along anymore because I mostly rely on a plug kit that seems to work well (at least the flats on my PU/Truck were easy to fix). One flat on the sidewall took 2 plugs to fix but I was able to get home to deal with it. Its mind boggling what a flat tire out in the boonies can do to your day, especially if the cell phone is without signal!

Quote:
    gradyex said:
    Its mind boggling what a flat tire out in the boonies can do to your day, especially if the cell phone is without signal!

Hehehehee. Hey Buddy! "Mind boggling." So true! I loooove it.

Getting back to where, I think, this started:

Is there a tire and wheel that will fit front & rear w/PCCB's on a 997 Turbo? And in a perfect world, will it fit in the trunk for those of us that would like to carry it there?

I didn't order a spare with my car, which has PCCB's but it seems from what I can remember the spare is too large for the luggage compartment. Porsche offered it as an option but I declined the option, as I didn't want to carry it on the back seat.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:
    MMD,

Yes jack works AND is reeeeally nice if you like nicely machined objects/tools. The foam insert isn't a good idea IMO. Takes too much space. I put jack and lug wrench in nice bag in back seat floor.

When spare is in trunk concave side facing forward there's "lots" of room IF you have small items that can be used as filler around the spare.

I anchor the spare with a simple weldment I fabricated made to use that attachment point for a belt of some sort that's up there. Here's pic:

I wouldn't trust that point for securing anything other than what it is there for,--to secure the windstop for Cabriolets.

Quote:
    Dan L said:

I wouldn't trust that point for securing anything other than what it is there for,--to secure the windstop for Cabriolets.

Depends on what you expect from it.

I figure if you rear end another car you're screwed if you have a spare up there in any case.

If you're just trusting it to hold the spare from moving around during turns or braking it seems fine. I had to replace the removeable _plastic_ pin with a steel one. It'll take quite a bit of tension from the wing nut on the weldment I use to tighten down the wheel.

You have the right idea though, when I get a chance I gotta tear into that area and see how it's connected and how to fortify it. Still, there's probably no reasonable way to crash-proof an attachment point for a spare up there.

As long as the plastic attachment point doesn't slide to the right (which will disconnect it from car) I believe it will hold the spare in place for normal use, but certainly not in a crash.

The plastic belt piece for windstop retention can be removed and easily strengthened to hold spare as shown below. Who knows? This plan _might_ even hold up in a fenderbender

Super nice job! You're as sick as i am about doing such personalizations...

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Super nice job! You're as sick as i am about doing such personalizations...

LOL. Thanks Dan! I got a better looking bolt. A "perfect" round allen head with minimal threads and used an SS acorn nut. Don't know if previously shown above extra nuts (and thread) make any difference. Going for looks now... . Painted elbows and blackened car body with tape. Hehehe. Since spare is _slanted_ (will direct some of the impact force downward) it should be enough to hold it from smacking underside of hood in minor collision. Hummmm..., is the weak link now is the three spot welds on the relatively thin guage steel? I wonder what it would take to rip them straight off... . I had better stop, I'm probably making real engineers feel sick (not in complementary way ).

Photo:

MMD and GradyEx,

Do you happen to know if your spare has the same outside diameter as stock 997 wheel?

Now that I think about the issue of damaging the differential with wrong sized tire, unless the spare has the SAME diameter as the stock wheel, perhaps it's NOT a good idea to use it, even if it fits?

Do you know if Porsche even makes or recommends spare for 997 Turbo? I vaguely recall someone from the Middle East posting a picture of his 997 Turbo, with PCCB, with a spare in the back. I should give Suncoast a call.

cannga, call Sunset Imports in Oregon instead. From experience, their prices are noticably lower. Ask for Eric Svaren when you call. He's been really helpful for me. 800 346 0182.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    MMD and GradyEx,

Do you happen to know if your spare has the same outside diameter as stock 997 wheel?

Now that I think about the issue of damaging the differential with wrong sized tire, unless the spare has the SAME diameter as the stock wheel, perhaps it's NOT a good idea to use it, even if it fits?

Do you know if Porsche even makes or recommends spare for 997 Turbo? I vaguely recall someone from the Middle East posting a picture of his 997 Turbo, with PCCB, with a spare in the back. I should give Suncoast a call.

Even though there _is_ a one inch difference in overall diameter of _tire_ approval for using the 996 spare on the 997 _is_ given by both Porsche and Porsche Club America.

I'm trying to find Tech Q&A recommending this spare use from PCA Panorama. Will post when I can.

Good question about use on Turbo. AFAIK, unlike for the 997 Carreras nobody has _explicitly_ approved it for Turbo. Maybe a moot point though. Anybody know?

Quote:
    cannga said:
    I should give Suncoast a call.

Make sure they know of the two 996-era spares only the C4 _collapsible_ spare has a chance in hell of fitting.

The "doughnut" spare found on C2 996 and Boxsters will barely fit (has 2-3mm clearance!) on a 997C2S front hub with stock red brakes.

FWIW.

Here's PCA info:

Peter's comment is limited in scope. Dealing with the 997TT and even a 997S with PCCBs changes the whole issue.

For MMD---consider getting one of those shields for the underside of your trunk lid. Will offer cosmetic protection.

dan

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782206 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442932 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263526 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261975 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86035 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6040 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881720 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819945 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM