Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Rear and Front lips painted, does it look better?

Front

Re: Rear and Front lips painted, does it look better?

Rear.

I'de appriciate someone minimizing those pic's sizes for me, dunno how to do it :S

Re: Rear and Front lips painted, does it look bett

Yes it does look better, much better.

Better still though is white or silver with painted grilles

Resizing tips: http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat...true#Post375877

agree, painted ones are much better...

I dunno who's "right."

Depends on the image you want to project and the amount of PITA you want to put up with.

If you want the car to look like a track car (with all it's specialized plasticky cowlings and near zero ground clearance) get them painted.

If you want the car to look like a driver's road car, keep them stock.

When you hit the incline or curb your nice painted-to-match-and-look-like-a-track-car lip is gonna look like it took a severe beating.

If it stays unpainted it will look scuffed and "normal" for the realities of the steet and highways.

I personally think if the car's a track car it should look like one so paint them.

If it's a road car leave them stock.

If you feel compelled to have your road car to _look_ like a track car get them painted.

Much Better

Better!

Very nice! Looks much classier than the unpainted plastic.

Dont like it, think 911's look better, sportier,,,,,more serious w/ the contrast line along the bottom & front.

On a dark colored car: No.

On a lighter colored car (red, yellow, arctic silver, especially white): IMHO, yes, at least for the rear lip. In the enclosed crop, you could see that there are details to the rear lip: It curves inwards, sculpted that way, and has a small slat, crease, etc. i.e. There are design elements as if the part is meant to be seen. Without the lip visible, the rear bumper ends abruptly, too abruptly IMO.

(The rear bumper of the GT3 RS that Stradale mentioned has a smoothly integrated bumper--no under lip IIRC.)

But I do agree that the black strips provide some contrast. Without it, to my eyes, cars look "too" yellow or "too" red. I couldn't find a happy solution so in the end just paint the rear lip and side rocker panels of my Guards Red, front lip stays black. FWIW, the GT3 similarly has front lip unpainted.

In this picture of a Guards Turbo, to me the rear bumper looks unfinished: It ends abruptly and looks truncated as the end piece--the rear lip--is not visible. The lack of a "rounding-off" piece stands out more the lighter colored the car; in a dark car, none of this matters. The rear bumper of the Turbo used to bother me greatly until I realize what the "problem" (for me) was.

In the RS it looks nice but not the turbo looks unfinished to me.

The 911 looks a bit "fat" for a supercar. A F430 looks much more flat in the profile. I think porsche keeps the last few centimeters of the car black on purpose: So the car looks slimmer.

Not to get a bit off topic but what exhaust tips are those? Looks like they're gold?!?!

I do think that painted lips/sills looks good but they're not practical because they scrape up front all the time.

BTW, in architecture and design I think that effect/principle of the stock (dark) spoiler would be called a "shadow line." SL has a definite impact on overall perception of a building, a room, and in this case a car. FWIW.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Not to get a bit off topic but what exhaust tips are those? Looks like they're gold?!?!

I do think that painted lips/sills looks good but they're not practical because they scrape up front all the time.

lool yes Oil price is booming but still didn't reach a level to put on golden exaust tips
    They are Fabspeed Maxflow exaust tips it is reflection of the car's color

Thanx all for participating and personally i loved it much more after the painting done. on the RS i agree it looks better with the black lips for contrast but on Turbo i guess looks more perfect with the painting done

Here are befor the painting to compare.

front, really looks like something is missing I guess !

Here's another comp that might help.

I think painted is WAY better.

Quote:
    davew (cincy) said:

Okay.

For me the car looks "tougher;" more real world road-worthy with the unpainted unit.

Either way..., at least anybody who reads this thread will be better informed in making their decision.

[cough] DAJ! [/cough]

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    davew (cincy) said:

Okay.

For me the car looks "tougher;" more real world road-worthy with the unpainted unit.

Either way..., at least anybody who reads this thread will be better informed in making their decision.

I have to agree w/ you there.

Although Cann has an excellent point about the rear unit being painted in cars other than black.

But another thing that bothers me about painted rockers is that Porsche uses a wrinkled paint strip along the bottom side of the car that is suppose to be the end of the paint, it's the line across the bottom on the side of the car that is normally just above the dark grey piece. It's painted that way (wrinkled) to absorb damage & usually is the very bottom portion of the paint. When you paint the grey piece then it doesn't make any sense that this wrinkled strip is above the optional paint. Nit picking I know just my 2 cents..

I circled the area.

Painted those things is not my cup of tea, but does look better for white color.

Yellow just leave it alone.

I see your point and frankly am stunned by your attention to design details.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    I have to agree w/ you there.

Although Cann has an excellent point about the rear unit being painted in cars other than black.

But another thing that bothers me about painted rockers is that Porsche uses a wrinkled paint strip along the bottom side of the car that is suppose to be the end of the paint, it's the line across the bottom on the side of the car that is normally just above the dark grey piece. It's painted that way (wrinkled) to absorb damage & usually is the very bottom portion of the paint. When you paint the grey piece then it doesn't make any sense that this wrinkled strip is above the optional paint. Nit picking I know just my 2 cents..

I circled the area.

To best illustrate how the rear lip needs to be painted in a light color car, especially white, a shot of the rear, straight on, is helpful. The enclosed picture to me shows the lip as part of the "design." It has design "elements" such as crease and slat, and structurally provides a curve and closing point for the rear bumper. Bumper looks truncated if this piece is blacked out.

Never mind that your eyes have to be on the ground to see this. The fact that it's there is enough for me. Kidding and really this falls into "personal preference" category. There is no right or wrong. Just more wrong if you don't paint it.

Comparison shot showing how truncated the rear end looks when unpainted in a light colored car.

My observation is that if a plastic piece is meant NOT to be painted same color as rest of car, it would be designed to protrude beyond the surface of the car (look at the GT 2's side rocker panel and rear lip), not continuous/contiguous with it as in case of the Turbo. Ok, never mind, I realize I am beginning to sound a "little" nutty here.

This picture of the GT 2 shows how the side rocker panel clearly protrudes and makes a "statement" on its own, unlike the Turbo rockers, which are continuous with the door.
    IMO, this is what these lower structures look like when they are meant to remain unpainted: protruding. In the Turbo, I think the only reason PAG doesn't paint the darn thing is so they could get another 2k from nuts like me.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Ok, never mind, I realize I am beginning to sound a "little" nutty here.

Makes sense to me.

Here's another aspect of painted-or-not-painted. I don't want more maintenance; there's too many other things to do, not asking for more "work." Get the lips that will show the least dirt and scratches and require the least effort.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782126 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442913 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263523 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261960 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86021 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6033 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881700 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819858 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM