Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: TG-599 test

holy s_ _ t an honest test report that puts forth something ive thought for sometime...the imho premise they quit making ferraris sometime around 1967.

Except for the F40, that was special.

I guess the 599 is too much of an Italian GT-R with all the driver aids.

I think to get the balance of having a car that is very practical for everyday driving
    AND to also feel "special" when driving is nigh on impossible.

I'm still in disbelief that it's a Ferrari that Clarkson doesn't like!

Honest assesment. The 599 was always supposed to be the most advanced GT Coupe. You'll never be able to make a car that pleases everyone and does everything perfectly, but for what it is - the 599 followed closely by the Aston DB9 (and soon DBS) in my opinion are the ones to beat.

Ferrari 275GTS this is heart and soul. Well said!

Quote:
    Heist said:
    Honest assesment. The 599 was always supposed to be the most advanced GT Coupe. You'll never be able to make a car that pleases everyone and does everything perfectly, but for what it is - the 599 followed closely by the Aston DB9 (and soon DBS) in my opinion are the ones to beat.

Test-drove DB9 for some 50-100mis around interesting roads in CA....IMO DB9 is one of most poorly engineered, dismal-to-drive, overhyped $200K cars on planet.....dynamics/precision/safety/interior ergonomics/quality of interior materials, etc etc are simply laughable...but predictable from a Ford-based product....neither a competent GT nor a 4000lb sportscar....

Aside from F's obviously laughable Fiat-like safety tech , don't know of any jaded 599 owners (incl those who've had new Enzos in past) who don't view 599 as easily best F ever....at least unless Scud proves otherwise....gotta love the short product half-lives of an innovative co.

Quote:
    WBH said:
    Quote:
    Heist said:

Test-drove DB9 for some 50-100mis around interesting roads in CA....IMO DB9 is one of most poorly engineered, dismal-to-drive, overhyped $200K cars on planet.....dynamics/precision/safety/interior ergonomics/quality of interior materials, etc etc are simply laughable...but predictable from a Ford-based product....neither a competent GT nor a 4000lb sportscar....

Aside from F's obviously laughable Fiat-like safety tech , don't know of any jaded 599 owners (incl those who've had new Enzos in past) who don't view 599 as easily best F ever....at least unless Scud proves otherwise....gotta love the short product half-lives of an innovative co.

Sorry WBH but your guessing that the DB9 is based on some shared Ford product is completely and utterly wrong. The chassis was designed by and is unique to Aston, and its engine is also unique. The DB9's cockpit amenities and luxury is first rate, the insturments and even the starter crystal button are bespoke top drawer quality and the only readily visible item from the Ford family is its Volvo sourced nav unit. A DB9 weighs 3700 lbs, not 4000. The true whale in the GT world is the CL63 wich has a kerb weight of almost 4600lbs. The 900lb difference would be discernable by almost anyone......

Since you failed to appreciate a Aston's unique qualities, perhaps your oft stated theory of "automobile social darwinism" has hit closer to your home than you realized? Or the toxic fumes from leaf blowers in your "leafy suburb" have had some "local" effect not yet diagnosed...........

Maybe they were blowing cannabis...

Quote:
    WBH said:
    Quote:
    Heist said:

What the hell DB9 did you drive?
    The one I drove, while certainly no Ferrari dancer, was well composed, solid, well appointed inside, control its body motions well and the engine exhaust made a wonderful note when the flaps opened.

The only quip I had was the rather long'ish hood. It's probably an extra foot longer than necessary.

Quote:
    WBH said:

The DB9 is a GT, maybe a manual DB9 with sports pack might be more suited to sporty driving...

But your critics coming frome someone who raves about the CL63...

Quote:
    Adam R said:

I have said it before and will say it again, he is undoubtedly the best car reviewer on the planet. He not only covers performance but delves into the intangibles of a car. He tells it like it is and in doing so conveys accurately what the car really is.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Adam R said:

I have said it before and will say it again, he is undoubtedly the best car reviewer on the planet. He not only covers performance but delves into the intangibles of a car. He tells it like it is and in doing so conveys accurately what the car really is.

I agree with you Nick. After this review everybody will understand why Clarkson loves Audi R8 and Lamborghini Gallardo. They are not the fastest sportscars on the planet but, they really makes you feel special...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Adam R said:

I agree with you Nick. After this review everybody will understand why Clarkson loves Audi R8 and Lamborghini Gallardo. They are not the fastest sportscars on the planet but, they really makes you feel special...

Just for the record: He could find nothing wrong with the F430 either, so it's likely to still be a Ferrari on the top of his list (not counting the CGT, which was one of the most entertaining tests he's done).

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Adam R said:

IMO, as you get older (as is Clarkson), your appreciation for "older" things seems to increase. If I may make an analogy, riding a Harley Davidson (not exactly a technological wonder, provides me with a visceral (feel good) pleasure not present when riding sport bikes - perhaps due to the mechanical feeling, vibrations, exhaust note etc. HOWEVER, I would NEVER compare a Harley with a new exotic bike!

If he doesn't like the 599, perhaps he should drive his Ford GT again for comparison? The 599 is perhaps the best pure GT available today. Yes, it may not be as visually pleasing (at least to my eyes) as a LP640 or AM but overall, what's not to like? Big NA V12, rwd and enough comfort to take on long drives/trips.

While Clarkson is entertaining, you just never know what he will say next - good or bad. I find some of his comments ridiculous and certainly don't take his reviews seriously.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Adam R said:

Its clear that Clarksons opinions are only geared toward what will get the most laughs/will cause the most controversy, but god, can't he be at least a little consistent with his opinions?

Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano - Buy one before they ban them - The Times http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article1264025.ece

"[After his rant on how crappy the headlights are, how the wipers don't work properly...]And yet . . .

You only need crawl along at 20mph in first and listen to that hollow, plaintive cry from the exhausts. You only need prod the throttle from time to time and feel the surge from that Enzo engine. You only need sweep through a really lovely, well-cambered bend. And you?ll know you are driving something so utterly magical that saying no because the lights don?t work properly is like saying no to Cindy Crawford because she has a mole.

After just three days the power and the excess that had originally caused me to question this car were now causing me to drool and dribble."

"Yes, Aston Martin can sell you a better looking two-seat GT car for half the price. Yes, Porsche can sell you a wilder ride and yes, in the current climate, a helicopter would be a better long distance tool. But none of these things feels quite so gratifying, or sorted, or sensational as the 599."

Verdict: Senseless but sensational

For me, in this article and the video posted before he is saying the same things using diferent words. The top gear video is full of compliments from JC to the 599 , one after the other, people have the tendency to only notice the most controversy/funny words...

JC is in show biz. Everything he says is exaggerated to make an interesting story for the general public. His 599 review is no way aimed at the small minority of potential 599 buyers.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782093 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442905 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263519 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261951 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86015 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6033 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881695 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819838 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM