Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: '08 Ford Focus? should I?

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Quote:
    Atzporsche said:
    Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Financial advice aside, US MSRP is $17,000 fully equiped and $14,000 for base new Focus. That is pretty cheap, but as someone who also worked their way through college and still strived to own a "cool and fun" car during those years, I bought this hot little souped up 280ZX that was quick and handled great! I sacraficed reliability for pure fun, and just wrenched on it myself when it broke down.

The smart guys on the forum will tell you to be patient, save your money and look to the future...but all the money in the world can't bring back the times I had at that age in that car. You have your whole life to be responsible, hard working, and save money. At that age, I didn't care if the car had cigarette burns, coffee stains, as long as it ran like H#LL, I was in!

YOU are exactly right, this is the little voice in my head whos complaining about the focus being a shopping car. The vioces tell me to get a old porsche 944 or an e30 BMW...

I am not saying that you haven't received good financial advice from everyone here, but then again, they already have what they want, so it's easy for them to say wait. I find it funny that people who can afford a new 911TT can honestly say with a strait face that saving a few thousand dollars in your savings account during college will make a difference later in life.

Let me tell you, NO ONE on this forum who owns a new 911TT, got their money from saving a few thousand dollars in college (that they earned). I would say 90% were born into at least "some" money and the other 10% are actually very smart. I think the overall "theme" to the advice is great, but your not supporting a family or have a mortage. You are not being stupid by taking out a loan for some new $50k BMW. You are talking about buying a car that is somewhat within your means. Let me tell you I skipped many lunches, ate $1 taco's, and scraped change to afford my car payment in college and looking back it was worth double that! I look back at the $5000 280ZX I bought in college and wish I didn't have to spend double that every month to provide a decent living for my family. Also, working on your car yourself will prove priceless and rewarding down the road even if one day you can afford to have someone else work on it!

And BTW, once you finally get out of school and start making real money, thats when you want to take everyone's advice, by never wasting your money on a new 911TT

So you're saying the "upgrade" is worth it? BUT not an 2008 focus but go back to an older car? I have owned a 944 and it had many many problems.. Driving the 944 was a pure adrenaline rush everytime and i loved it. BUT i couldnt afford the random costs inbetween like 2000 transmission, not to mention the tire wear (hahaha, thats driving style i guess) but the reason i started this threat was to see what you guys have done in the past when you were young.

I have such mixed feelings about this that i started this thread.

Quote:
    Atzporsche said:
    Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Quote:
    Atzporsche said:
    Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Financial advice aside, US MSRP is $17,000 fully equiped and $14,000 for base new Focus. That is pretty cheap, but as someone who also worked their way through college and still strived to own a "cool and fun" car during those years, I bought this hot little souped up 280ZX that was quick and handled great! I sacraficed reliability for pure fun, and just wrenched on it myself when it broke down.

The smart guys on the forum will tell you to be patient, save your money and look to the future...but all the money in the world can't bring back the times I had at that age in that car. You have your whole life to be responsible, hard working, and save money. At that age, I didn't care if the car had cigarette burns, coffee stains, as long as it ran like H#LL, I was in!

YOU are exactly right, this is the little voice in my head whos complaining about the focus being a shopping car. The vioces tell me to get a old porsche 944 or an e30 BMW...

I am not saying that you haven't received good financial advice from everyone here, but then again, they already have what they want, so it's easy for them to say wait. I find it funny that people who can afford a new 911TT can honestly say with a strait face that saving a few thousand dollars in your savings account during college will make a difference later in life.

Let me tell you, NO ONE on this forum who owns a new 911TT, got their money from saving a few thousand dollars in college (that they earned). I would say 90% were born into at least "some" money and the other 10% are actually very smart. I think the overall "theme" to the advice is great, but your not supporting a family or have a mortage. You are not being stupid by taking out a loan for some new $50k BMW. You are talking about buying a car that is somewhat within your means. Let me tell you I skipped many lunches, ate $1 taco's, and scraped change to afford my car payment in college and looking back it was worth double that! I look back at the $5000 280ZX I bought in college and wish I didn't have to spend double that every month to provide a decent living for my family. Also, working on your car yourself will prove priceless and rewarding down the road even if one day you can afford to have someone else work on it!

And BTW, once you finally get out of school and start making real money, thats when you want to take everyone's advice, by never wasting your money on a new 911TT

So you're saying the "upgrade" is worth it? BUT not an 2008 focus but go back to an older car? I have owned a 944 and it had many many problems.. Driving the 944 was a pure adrenaline rush everytime and i loved it. BUT i couldnt afford the random costs inbetween like 2000 transmission, not to mention the tire wear (hahaha, thats driving style i guess) but the reason i started this threat was to see what you guys have done in the past when you were young.

I have such mixed feelings about this that i started this thread.

Don't do it. The car you have is good and wasting so much money just to get more of the same would be dumb. Use the money you save for something else. After all, 350 dollars each month isn't a small amount of money, especially for a college student.

Yeah, be as sensible as humanly possible for a young dude in college
    Seriously, the best advice I can give u, is whatever you decide (change car or not) make 100% sure that you make a choice that makes you either:
    A) happy about the money you saved -for investing or simply having fun in other areas
    or
    B) smile every single day that you get into your car - knowing all too well, that the car is way too expensive to make sense from an economical POV.

It sounds as if you're getting another car no matter what advice u get here.
    I dunno what's right for u - all I know is that the worst thing u can do when it comes to cars it getting an "inbetweener".
    Something that isnt fun, and not economical either.
    The Focus you talk about sounds like a car that is exactly that.

Either be wise with ur money and wait for the right car at the right time.
    Or follow your heart and get something that really gets your blood boiling - knowing that you will spend every hard earned dime on those 4 wheels.

Good luck!

NO Focus! Get something cheap, quick and reliable if you want something different. For the money, in the 10-14k price range, something Japenese. Aviod 944 or anything Porsche until you can afford late model or afford to repair an old vehicle. Actually, just thought about what car I would want to drive if I wanted something fun and reliable if I were in school today, and I came up with a 300ZX. My buddy owned one 10 years ago and it was a GREAT car. Drove wonderful, was SOLID as a rock and was relatively quick. I think it had about 222 HP, but handled very well for the time. I did a search on Auto Trader and found 20 with 50-80k miles within 100 miles of my house for under $15k.

BUT, your problem is that you are probably taking a loan and it is primary transportation, so you CAN'T afford to have the car break down AND make a car payment. So, buying a $15k used car is probably a bad idea. So, I would buy something in cash for $5-10k or take a loan for 1/2 of what you can afford to save money for repairs. I would personally buy a used Mustang GT...used parts in a thousand junkyards and EASIEST car to fix. While it might not be the best handling car, it will handle better than the focus and you could have that car deep into the 13's quarter mile, with some weekend wrench time. Also, wrenching your own car will build valuable car knowledge that will last a lifetime and build character that money can't buy.

I had a 5.0 Mustang in college and it was a great car for a 20 year old. I had a BLAST! Someday, you will have a mortgage, kids, and nagging wife and be miserable like the rest of us!

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    I had a 5.0 Mustang in college and it was a great car for a 20 year old. I had a BLAST! Someday, you will have a mortgage, kids, and nagging wife and be miserable like the rest of us!

I did the same thing! Brand new 1985 Mustang GT 5.0 in college. Big step up from driving my parent's 85 HP Chevy Cavalier. Like you said, you can't replace those years when you are young so do it before you really have serious responsibilities. I got a brand new 1994 Corvette years later, but the most memories I have were with the Mustang, parking it in front of the fraternity house and leaving for my 30 mile commute to work in the every morning. And, driving a stick for the first time.

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Someday, you will have a mortgage, kids, and nagging wife and be miserable like the rest of us!

So true!
    So be sure to have fun!

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Yeah, be as sensible as humanly possible for a young dude in college
    Seriously, the best advice I can give u, is whatever you decide (change car or not) make 100% sure that you make a choice that makes you either:
    A) happy about the money you saved -for investing or simply having fun in other areas
    or
    B) smile every single day that you get into your car - knowing all too well, that the car is way too expensive to make sense from an economical POV.

It sounds as if you're getting another car no matter what advice u get here.
    I dunno what's right for u - all I know is that the worst thing u can do when it comes to cars it getting an "inbetweener".
    Something that isnt fun, and not economical either.
    The Focus you talk about sounds like a car that is exactly that.

Either be wise with ur money and wait for the right car at the right time.
    Or follow your heart and get something that really gets your blood boiling - knowing that you will spend every hard earned dime on those 4 wheels.

Good luck!

DR.Phil, I am pretty happy with my car currently, BUT i was just really curious about getting a new 2008 one. I have not made my mind up already and after your advice i will stay with my current car for at least a couple of years then. ONE big problem is resale value. I purchased my car in 2005 for 19.900 CND and i wont get more than 12.000 for it now. Eventhough its in perfect showroom condition. I just passed 22000 kms and its pretty much a new car. So upgrading or selling will mean that i lost 8000 bucks!!!

My best bet will be to keep saving money and someday own a porsche... because there is no substitude.

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    NO Focus! Get something cheap, quick and reliable if you want something different. For the money, in the 10-14k price range, something Japenese. Aviod 944 or anything Porsche until you can afford late model or afford to repair an old vehicle. Actually, just thought about what car I would want to drive if I wanted something fun and reliable if I were in school today, and I came up with a 300ZX. My buddy owned one 10 years ago and it was a GREAT car. Drove wonderful, was SOLID as a rock and was relatively quick. I think it had about 222 HP, but handled very well for the time. I did a search on Auto Trader and found 20 with 50-80k miles within 100 miles of my house for under $15k.

BUT, your problem is that you are probably taking a loan and it is primary transportation, so you CAN'T afford to have the car break down AND make a car payment. So, buying a $15k used car is probably a bad idea. So, I would buy something in cash for $5-10k or take a loan for 1/2 of what you can afford to save money for repairs. I would personally buy a used Mustang GT...used parts in a thousand junkyards and EASIEST car to fix. While it might not be the best handling car, it will handle better than the focus and you could have that car deep into the 13's quarter mile, with some weekend wrench time. Also, wrenching your own car will build valuable car knowledge that will last a lifetime and build character that money can't buy.

95jersey, I hear what you're saying. and i fully realize that owning a fun car is critical to fullfill my pleasure for driving and such. I will not waste my money on the 2008 focus and thanks to you guys will keep her for now.

BTW, i have upgraded my focus to about 180HP with a stainless steel exhaust system from MBRP and a SRI from steeda (with heat shield) I have never been a huge fan of ricing up a car ort anyhting but both these upgrades have given my car more than enough push and trilling sound under certain conditions. there is a sucking sounds (like a turbo) due to the SRI and the exhaust note is not ricer or loud at all. Furthermore, i hear you when you are talking about the experience factor.. and im happy to say that i installed the exhaust myself.

thanks for all the adive guys.

I do want to ad to this whole discussion because its about me trying to make up my mind wether or not I should trade my 05 for an 08 just to get some new options, that i love being part of the ford family. Service is amazing, and my sales man is very friendly. of course hes a sales man so everytime i speak to him he suggests i purchase a mustang, but he always takes time for me and lets me testdrive cars. not i know its all part of "keeping customers" but they didnt have to give me my suspension damage, which was 900 bucks, for free under warranty... because it wasnt!! haha.
    thats really nice!

Quote:
    Atzporsche said:
    (...) I purchased my car in 2005 for 19.900 CND and i wont get more than 12.000 for it now. Eventhough its in perfect showroom condition. I just passed 22000 kms and its pretty much a new car. So upgrading or selling will mean that i lost 8000 bucks!!!

Which makes it all the more sensible to keep the car.
    The older the car gets, the less it will devaluate. You have already taken the worst depreciation already, so keep it and enjoy the - hopefully - relatively cheaper miles to come.

A dose of reality for you;

Very few people get to own a nice sports car, its a luxury. It doesn't sound like you are in the priveledged class (who is) or will be hired on by vksf.

So to make your dream a reality you have to save a nice chunk to buy a used porsche some day to use as a second car or take most of your disposable cash when working to make the lease payments on a new one.

Blowing money now puts you further away from your goal. There's a reason why Porsche demographics, not necessarily rennteam's, are skewed to the mature side.

I don't know what the used car market is like where you are but when I was going through university I had a part time job doing around 30 hrs a week which was fairly well paid. This let me get into buying, tidying up then selling for profit a whole host of Italian cars. I owned and sold 6 Fiats, 1 Lancia and 6 Alfa Romeos during my 3 years studying and had great fun doing it. Some made good money, most a modest profit and one a slight loss. It also helped me sharpen up my marketing and negotiating skills as both a buyer and seller

Quote:
    racerx said:
    A dose of reality for you;

Very few people get to own a nice sports car, its a luxury. It doesn't sound like you are in the priveledged class (who is) or will be hired on by vksf.

So to make your dream a reality you have to save a nice chunk to buy a used porsche some day to use as a second car or take most of your disposable cash when working to make the lease payments on a new one.

Blowing money now puts you further away from your goal. There's a reason why Porsche demographics, not necessarily rennteam's, are skewed to the mature side.

hahaha thanks for the reality check! you make things very clear! I will work hardddd because i have big dreams. SO if any of you are thinking of building a house, remember me, in about 10 years time ill be an Architect

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Quote:
    Atzporsche said:
    (...) I purchased my car in 2005 for 19.900 CND and i wont get more than 12.000 for it now. Eventhough its in perfect showroom condition. I just passed 22000 kms and its pretty much a new car. So upgrading or selling will mean that i lost 8000 bucks!!!

Which makes it all the more sensible to keep the car.
    The older the car gets, the less it will devaluate. You have already taken the worst depreciation already, so keep it and enjoy the - hopefully - relatively cheaper miles to come.

Thanks dr.phil/ and all other for all the advice. its more than i expected but clearly helped me decide to keep my car.

So most of you will continue to be annoyed with "beautiful" picutres of my car throughout the future

like so...

at home.

sunset at home.

front

She's a keeper! Looks as if it just rolled off the showroom floor

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760622 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434340 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259993 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257132 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80744 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871240 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806406 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM