Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997TT Facelift

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Quote:
    997GT3RS said:
    I also just brought a 08RS, so I didn't wait for the face-lifed either. But the point is the face-lifed is NOT just the exterior look. Don't lie to yourself. There must be something like DI/DSG/SOFTWARE/HP increases to improve the performance. And I heard seen the 997 isn't that much faster than the 996 and other sports cars are getting much better, the face-lifed models are mainly for improving performance.

I refer you to RC's comments earlier in this post:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat...true#Post302919

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat...true#Post383017

So at best no significant power increase, but most likely no change at all and power increases saved for X50 and Turbo S.

Surely Porsche will save their ace cards of DI and the GT2 mods (eg. new expansion intake manifold) for X50 and Turbo S. If they put these into the facelift then what will go into the X50, and then what will then be left for the 998 model?!

Myself, I would guess that hybrid technology research is going to be high priority as we move ever closer to the 2012 EU CO2 targets here in Europe. So the power war may take more of a back seat in the interim.

Let's see.

Time will tell.

Last words, seriously you guys who brought the current 997 have to face forward.

This must be the funniest reply I've read in a while . I am very satisfied with the way Porsche has handled PDK. Most of the new 997 owners were eagerly waiting for PDK from the get go. So if they would have released it a couple of months after introduction it would have been much worse, in my view, than what they will potentially do. Even the new M3 is waiting in line to release a new PDK-like system. Additionally, the GT3 folk are raving about an impending power update, at least the turbo owners are getting a heads up. Time, after all, is precious.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    I could even fully agree with you...

BUT, I simply do not like the way 599 GTB looks(and its 20th Centuary safety standard).

So, I am in pretty akward position...

SO, Herr Wendelin Wiedeking is probably singing right now:
    "Oh my God PDK is in my ass! Oh, in my ass!
    It feels very good! Indeed very good!
    Costumers will get it... Strictly from my ass!!"

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Looks like the 2009 Porsche 911 Turbo is getting a little touch up. This prototype spotted in Germany looks like the current model, but we noticed a few minor changes that indicate an imminent midcycle refresh. The front end is unmolested as far as we can tell, but the rear end has new taillights with LEDs and a slightly different lens arrangement. Reshaped tailpipes indicate a reworked exhaust, so there could be a few extra horsepower on tap for a car that's already one of the fastest we've ever tested. Look for an official debut early next year.

I have heard the new turbo face-lifed will come with the Sport button as standard, just like the new GT2. So probably the wart is not a must option anymore, at least for the turbo.

Quote:
    Turbo4ever said:
    I have heard the new turbo face-lifed will come with the Sport button as standard, just like the new GT2. So probably the wart is not a must option anymore, at least for the turbo.

See now, that IS worth waiting for!

Porsche marketing and development have an odd viewpoint on the 'wart' though. When I have talked to their head guys they seem to think that most people like the clock as it gives driver and passengers a 'talking-point'.

..."yes" I responded, "a talking-point about how ugly it is"

Quote:
    Turbo4ever said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Looks like the 2009 Porsche 911 Turbo is getting a little touch up. This prototype spotted in Germany looks like the current model, but we noticed a few minor changes that indicate an imminent midcycle refresh. The front end is unmolested as far as we can tell, but the rear end has new taillights with LEDs and a slightly different lens arrangement. Reshaped tailpipes indicate a reworked exhaust, so there could be a few extra horsepower on tap for a car that's already one of the fastest we've ever tested. Look for an official debut early next year.

Sport Button standard on new GT2

I do not think so... Check it out... Sport Button do not exist on GT2. GT2 feauture permanent boost(1.4bar max) unlike 997 Turbo...

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Quote:
    Turbo4ever said:

See now, that IS worth waiting for!

Porsche marketing and development have an odd viewpoint on the 'wart' though. When I have talked to their head guys they seem to think that most people like the clock as it gives driver and passengers a 'talking-point'.

..."yes" I responded, "a talking-point about how ugly it is"

Not only that, also Full LED, DFI, improved software and 500hp, but not sure about the DSG.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    Turbo4ever said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

Sport Button standard on new GT2

I do not think so... Check it out... Sport Button do not exist on GT2. GT2 feauture permanent boost(1.4bar max) unlike 997 Turbo...

I am not sure how that thing works on GT2 and the new turbo will have something like that.

VIDEO

Looking good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSyVMvygte0

If you pay attention to the sound, the gear change doesn't sound like manual or tips. could it be the PDK ?

Sounded like a manual and they blipped the throttle to me.

Still v quiet so obviously don't expect improvements in that department.

Sure looks pretty evil!

LOVE the black wheels

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    If you pay attention to the sound, the gear change doesn't sound like manual or tips. could it be the PDK ?

Not sure if that's pdk and I love the sound!

I have only ever driven a PDK Audi TT, and I don't recall throttle blips with downchanges.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

I believe it is pdk too...

Watched it again a few times, and what with the throttle blip on deceleration plus the visibly slow 1st to 2nd gear change after the car turns left, no way is that an auto or PDK tranny. HAS to be manual.

I'd agree it sounds like PDK as there would be no need to blip the throttle in a manual at the speed the test driver was braking. The egear in my Gallardo would blip the throttle like that. Those CC brakes certainly squeal though

It is manual as Alex said. It seems to me that none of you PDK fans tried Golf GTI with DSG... Try to downshift in front of the corner from fifth to third gear with DSG...

I'm with the manual and blipping crowd. Yes, there is quite a squal to the PCCB's.. Is that typical???

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    I'd agree it sounds like PDK as there would be no need to blip the throttle in a manual at the speed the test driver was braking. The egear in my Gallardo would blip the throttle like that. Those CC brakes certainly squeal though

You got the point, driving a stick no need to blip the throttle at that situation, unless he knows someone is making a video. And I think people can't compare the new pdk to the gti/audi one, I don't think Porsche gonna use the same thing. All real sports car like Ferrari/Lambo blip the throttle at this situation.

Those brakes squeals so badly, somebody said that is steel brakes. But I haven't heard any squeals when I was testing a C2S with steelies.

Can someone confrim that is steels or pccb?

Yellow callipers on a Porsche mean carbon ceramic brakes are fitted.

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    I'd agree it sounds like PDK as there would be no need to blip the throttle in a manual at the speed the test driver was braking. The egear in my Gallardo would blip the throttle like that.

I'm no expert on this subject, but even I know that the Ferrari F1 and the Lambo egear gearboxes are not DSG type.

If you have driven a DSG transmission in an Audi or a VW you would know that there is no throttle blipping to match revs with the new lower gear you are selecting as that new gear is ALREADY pre-selected and it just switches over. Very smooth, instantaneous changes.

I feel PDK in the facelift Turbo is a big *maybe* at best, but it's definitely not present on this car. Sorry guys, wishful thinking.

BTW, I always used to blip the throttle when going down gears on my manual Carerra with PSE, whether I needed to or not, as it always put a big smile on my face!

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    Yellow callipers on a Porsche mean carbon ceramic brakes are fitted.

oops you can see that in this video? good eyes...

Alex,

I have driven a DSG box in a GTi and I believe the point Kreso is making is that the electronics are programmed to prevent over-reving on downshifts but it has been taken to a nannying extreme with this system and the box simply over-rules the driver. I'd hope that the system Porsche are developing (and remember these are test cars so the shift programme will be experimental) allows a bit more freedom. I'd certainly expect them to engineer in the throttle blip if only to provide a more involved driving sensation when compared to their competitors. You are correct in noting that both the Lamborghini and Ferrari systems are different as they are single clutch systems.

The TT generates a much higher level of torque than the VW system can handle so the end product may well be quite different to the current VW DSG system as a result. If it were simply a question of upscaling the design to handle the additional torque then Audi would presumably have done this to fit DSG to their flagship R8. They haven't and have employed a modified version of e-gear instead. Guess we'll just have to wait and see but whether PDK makes it to the facelift 997 is almost immaterial to this video as Porsche must surely be testing the system now for inclusion in the 998 series at the very least.

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    If you have driven a DSG transmission in an Audi or a VW you would know that there is no throttle blipping to match revs with the new lower gear you are selecting as that new gear is ALREADY pre-selected and it just switches over. Very smooth, instantaneous changes.

I feel PDK in the facelift Turbo is a big *maybe* at best, but it's definitely not present on this car. Sorry guys, wishful thinking.

You remind me hows the double clutch systems works. Maybe Porsche is going to use single clutch systems?

Anyway I don't mind if there is pdk/dsg whatever.

I just love manual!

Hi Fans of Porsche!

Here I got some other pics from the facelifted TT on the Ring.

Enjoy them... hope it's not a repost!

Greetings

another one...

... and again...

... a bigger one from the first pic ...

Repost. These pics are few months old...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Repost. These pics are few months old...

Sorry! Should I delete them?!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776931 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441608 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262729 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260879 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85144 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5531 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880590 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815766 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM