Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Touch your paint: scratch it.

Geez, the sun was shining just right in my garage and I saw billions of scratches on my two-month-old clear coat.

Then I dusted off an area and merely ran my thumb across it a few times. Guess what? MORE scratches: from my thumb! I tried to eliminate those new scratches, thinking they were "grease" from my thumb but..., no..., they were microfine scratches. Wow.

I know you can't see the paint getting dull until fine scratches accumulate for a few years, (I'm very careful with my paint too) but is there anyway to "harden" the surface by using say, ureathane (?) or "poly" type sealants? Maybe my carnauba wax is too soft?

Do you think the 997 clearcoat is too soft? Do I have a bad clearcoat?

BTW, car is Slate Grey , so I guess the darkness doesn't help. Fisrt time I had a dark-colored Porsche. Maybe this is normal?

Re: Touch your paint: scratch it.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Geez, the sun was shining just right in my garage and I saw billions of scratches on my two-month-old clear coat.

Then I dusted off an area and merely ran my thumb across it a few times. Guess what? MORE scratches: from my thumb! I tried to eliminate those new scratches, thinking they were "grease" from my thumb but..., no..., they were microfine scratches. Wow.

I know you can't see the paint getting dull until fine scratches accumulate for a few years, (I'm very careful with my paint too) but is there anyway to "harden" the surface by using say, ureathane (?) or "poly" type sealants? Maybe my carnauba wax is too soft?

Do you think the 997 clearcoat is too soft? Do I have a bad clearcoat?

BTW, car is Slate Grey , so I guess the darkness doesn't help. Fisrt time I had a dark-colored Porsche. Maybe this is normal?

Didn't want to listen to me.......

Have it professionally detailed once in awhile. Keep a layer of wax on it. Rejex works well, or maybe try a synthetic wax, they will last longer and provide more protection.

Yea, the CC is not too hard on P's. Everything scratches on a dark color.

Agreed. Mine is Basalt Black and has scratches on it from washing it. I use a new mitt every two washes, use a synthetic chamois to dry and have a coat of Turtle Wax on it. You can still scratch the paint with your finger nail.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Didn't want to listen to me.......

Nahhh..., Not true. Stradale, your posts are very interesting.

Maybe I missed it? Or maybe I was in a bad mood and my reply sounded recalcitrant (oops, sorry).

Also run with Slate grey and haven't noticed any trouble TBH. Yes, P paint is indeed soft but this is because its all water based nowadays. But, caring for the paint is all about using the right products, and washing with anything other than a mit or MF cloth will leave marks. I wouldn't even allow chammy's to get close anymore.

Regards

Pop

There are plenty of quality polishes out there that are designed to remove fine scratches that you then can layer a sealant and/or carnauba on top of for protection.

Yup clear is ridiculously soft. My car is pure black so you can imagine my frustration. What I was told by my detailer is that with the switch to more environmentally friendly paints they became softer.

Wash is key, two bucket system, rinse extremely well and use good products. Scratches are inevitable on a dark car so get a good detail a couple times a year

@MMD, man, you need to follow Stradale's and 69bossnine's advice. I've been using boar's hair brushes from Griot's Garage (never ever used a mitt or sponge) and I use a microfibre towel to dry the car. These things work wonders! I just don't have microscratches from washing.

Long before I ever took delivery of my 997S, I decided upon one thing...that I would put to one side whatever I knew about washing cars and that I would simply follow Stradale's and 69bossnine's 'Ten Commandments'!! It's a no-brainer. The only thing is the cost of importing all that stuff from the USA. It's not cheap but neither was my Porsche so I wasn't going to scrimp and economise on cleaning equipment.

I just can't thank those guys enough for what I've learnt from them. When I clean it, my car looks just like it did the day I first took delivery of it in Zuffenhausen.

I have a dark car with no scratches after a year. Wash myself, 2 buckets. MF towels. Detailed by me when I picked it up. Not touched by dealer. Synthetic with carnuaba layer over top.

Still looks great.

Not bothered about scratches!

My car after Ventureshield...

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

What's Ventureshield?

And wondering how was metallic black vs pure black in maintaining?

I love pure black, but also worrying about scratches.

Quote:
    Turbo4ever said:
    Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

What's Ventureshield?

Ventureshield: http://www.ventureshield.com/products.asp

Before I sold my Carrera my 2 cars were black and basalt black.

You have to clean the black a lot more. A back car will be dirty the very next day after washing, basalt typically lasts about a week before it starts looking bad.

Also, I found any small scratches a lot easier to get out with paint restorer on basalt compared to black.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Quote:
    Turbo4ever said:
    Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

What's Ventureshield?

Ventureshield: http://www.ventureshield.com/products.asp

You have to clean the black a lot more. A back car will be dirty the very next day after washing, basalt typically lasts about a week before it starts looking bad.

Also, I found any small scratches a lot easier to get out with paint restorer on basalt compared to black.

Thanks...

Still, I will go for PURE BLACK.

Just love it!

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Quote:
    Turbo4ever said:
    Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

What's Ventureshield?

Alex, do you think it is a good idea to have the designation painted in body color? I mean black on black. Can you really see that when painted?

I don't like the mirror like turbo designation at all.

I think black on black, you might as well save yourself a few bob and just delete it. The turbo does indeed stand out a lot in black though...

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    I think black on black, you might as well save yourself a few bob and just delete it. The turbo does indeed stand out a lot in black though...

Can't see at all but still want the black turbo logo there. Maybe I am just Black addicted.

What's your new car color?

What can't you see? Did the thumbnail pop-up not work for you?

I went for Arctic Silver with DAJ option in the end.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    What can't you see? Did the thumbnail pop-up not work for you?

I went for Arctic Silver with DAJ option in the end.

oops... nice...

Ever since I had my car coated with the matrix nanotechnology coating, it's been resistant to those microscratches. And there's a lifetime guarantee on it too so I'm definitely satisfied with the results! It always has the super wet look after a wash.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

LOL! Funny! Makes me think about getting a bra for my entire car.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Ever since I had my car coated with the matrix nanotechnology coating, it's been resistant to those microscratches.

Niiice..., loooove that Cobalt; looks great even in fluorescent light, wow. Thanks for the nano-clue; will check into it.

I use a pig bristle brush, from Griot's, when washing mine. I apply Rejex, to make it easier to remove bug juice. I also use a sponge with the plastic mesh to help remove the bug juice but am careful when using it as it might leave scratch marks.

But I do have some fine scratches, which can be noticed only in certain sunlight conditions, on the clear coat - I have theBasalt Black Metallic.

You might want to think about using a wax remover, washing it, and then applying Rejex or go the Carnuba route if you want a harder finish wax. You don't get as bright a shine with the Rejex, but it's a lot easier to apply and buff. You won't need an electric buffer with the Rejex.

Jim

Is that a Gulf Blue Cayman, lurking in the background?

??

Quote:
    Jim48 said:
    [edited]

You might want to think about using a wax remover, washing it, and then applying Rejex or go the Carnuba route if you want a harder finish wax. You don't get as bright a shine with the Rejex, but it's a lot easier to apply and buff. You won't need an electric buffer with the Rejex.

Jim

Thanks..., maybe I gotta rethink my "waxing."

I'm leaning toward this "Klasse" stuff because it is an _acrylic_ coating. It's gotta be harder than carnauba though c. is supposedly very hard(?). Maybe it's harder than the usual non-carnauba-based waxes.

I use RejEx on front bumper for the bug jerky removal: works great, looks great too. Amazingly easy to apply.

If it's "harder" than Klasse products, I'll do the whole car with RejEx. Don't care too much about 80% shine vs. 95% shine (whatever "% shine" is).

Shine comps are very hard to find satisfaction with. I put a light-tack masking tape down and wax one side with one thing and the other side with something else to compare. I've never been blown away by differences (sad for me? ), especially when the car is seen, without the tape, in real world lighting.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Jim48 said:
    [edited]

Jim

Thanks..., maybe I gotta rethink my "waxing."

I'm leaning toward this "Klasse" stuff because it is an _acrylic_ coating. It's gotta be harder than carnauba though c. is supposedly very hard(?). Maybe it's harder than the usual non-carnauba-based waxes.

I use RejEx on front bumper for the bug jerky removal: works great, looks great too. Amazingly easy to apply.

If it's "harder" than Klasse products, I'll do the whole car with RejEx. Don't care too much about 80% shine vs. 95% shine (whatever "% shine" is).

Shine comps are very hard to find satisfaction with. I put a light-tack masking tape down and wax one side with one thing and the other side with something else to compare. I've never been blown away by differences (sad for me? ), especially when the car is seen, without the tape, in real world lighting.

Agree. Maybe my eyes are not as discerning as those of others, but I hardly notice the differences in the level of shine. That and the fact that I am basically a bit lazy makes me lean towards Rejex, which I use on the whole car.

And I apply it with a clean soft cloth and buff it with a microfiber cloth. I hope the microfiber cloth doesn't cause scratches (I don't think it does).

Jim

Don't sweat the small stuff, it happens, but it's so easy to remove on a periodic (yearly, or every 6 months) basis...

Just treat the car as gently as you can, and with each polish/wax, you should be back in business...

Quote:

Alex, do you think it is a good idea to have the designation painted in body color? I mean black on black. Can you really see that when painted?

I don't like the mirror like turbo designation at all.

Here's a photo of my black/black with body colored script

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761810 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435052 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260333 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257426 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80885 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871894 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807256 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM