Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Brazilian F1 GP: Practice 2 update

Quote:
    moto said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Great....McLaren screwed up on tyres in today's practice session...can they not get it right for once?

I know! Apparently it's a new rule introduced for this season but I thought it's someone's job to know the rules!!
    Sigh.
    It's a comical season anyway so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest that they will give LH a penalty and KR to win the title!

The FIA applying the rules to Hamilton? Don't make laugh.

Interlagos can be a diabolical track if it is wet.

The Ferraris and Mclarens could take themselves out`in a 4 way crash in the first corner. They are all betting so much on the start.

With them gone it could be a battle between Coulthard and Nakajima.

McLaren fined, Hamilton not punished:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7053377.stm

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Hmmmmm. I guess FIA realized that McLaren still had some money left after paying that last 100 million dollar fine.

Hamilton avoids tyre rule penalty

Lewis Hamilton has avoided punishment for a minor rule infringement after finishing fastest in Friday's practice for the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Drivers are only allowed to use one set of tyres during a session and Hamilton used two in the first session.

His McLaren team were fined 15,000 euros (Pounds10,445) and made to return one set of wet tyres for the rule break.

Honda and Super Aguri received the same punishment after Jenson Button and Takuma Sato fell foul of the same rule.

The teams were asked to return a set of tyres to ensure no advantage was gained by using part-worn tyres.

But the loss of a set of tyres may not be a great setback if a weather forecast predicting dry weather on Sunday proves to be accurate.

Hamilton explained: "We did a slow out lap on wet tyres, then came in and went out on another set.

"It was an easy mistake to make. A couple of other teams did it, yet we haven't gained anything by it. We didn't do it intentionally. There wasn't any benefit."

Team boss Ron Dennis added: "It was a 100% team mistake.

"Lewis did an installation lap on one set of wet tyres and we just put on another set. It was nothing to do with Lewis.

"He only did an in-and-out lap. It wasn't as if there was any advantage, but it's clearly a breach of a rule.

"We are trying so hard and maybe there's a bit too much tension in the team that has led to a silly mistake.

"We can do no more than our best, and we are really trying hard. People make mistakes. I'm not trivialising it, but it perhaps shows we are all human.

"There's a rule there, we broke it, and now we have to get on with it."

Hamilton was fifth fastest in the first, wet session but led the way in the drier second session, ahead of McLaren team-mate Fernando Alonso.

The 22-year-old Briton leads the double world champion by four points in the race for the drivers' championship, which will be decided on Sunday, with Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen a further three points behind.

Even Alonso admitted he wasn't too familiar with the regulation that Hamilton breached.

"I don't think we were totally aware of this rule," said the Spaniard. "I probably would have done the same thing."

Hamilton is aiming to become the sport's youngest champion as well as the first driver to win the championship in their debut season.

He clocked a time of one minute 12.767 seconds in the second session with Alonso managing 1:12.889.

Raikkonen had led a Ferrari one-two in the opening session ahead of Felipe Massa but Massa finished in third place ahead of his team-mate in the second session.

It was a wet start to Friday's practice at Interlagos with Hamilton opting to leave it late before heading out on to the track, while team-mate Fernando Alonso chose not to leave the pits at all.

"It was pretty evil out there in the wet," said Hamilton, who could become the first Briton to win the title since Damon Hill in 1996.

Alonso added: "We did not expect to stay wet for the rest of the weekend so we took the decision not to do any running in the morning.

"The session this afternoon was far better. I am looking forward to a competitive weekend."

The Ferraris looked good in the wet with both Raikkonen and Massa posting the fastest times.

"We are reasonably happy with the way today went," Raikkonen said. "But there is still a lot of room for improvement on the car."

"The track is great now," Massa added. "We don't have to worry about the bumps anymore. We need to congratulate those who worked on the track."

All three title challengers posted quick times during the later practice run, but it was Hamilton who proved quickest, although Alonso almost stole the lead with a fast lap with seconds remaining of the session.

If Hamilton needs an omen for the weekend, the driver who has posted the quickest practice time on Friday has subsequently won the race on 11 occasions this season.

Times after Friday's first practice session:

1. Kimi Raikkonen (Finland) Ferrari one min 19.580 seconds
    2. Felipe Massa (Brazil) Ferrari 1:20.062
    3. Heikki Kovalainen (Finland) Renault 1:20.829
    4. Nico Rosberg (Germany) Williams - Toyota 1:21.064
    5. Lewis Hamilton (Britain) McLaren 1:21.121
    6. Ralf Schumacher (Germany) Toyota 1:21.243
    7. Sebastian Vettel (Germany) Toro Rosso - Ferrari 1:21.598
    8. Mark Webber (Australia) RedBull - Renault 1:22.104
    9. Jarno Trulli (Italy) Toyota 1:22.104
    10. Vitantonio Liuzzi (Italy) Toro Rosso - Ferrari 1:22.250
    11. Rubens Barrichello (Brazil) Honda 1:22.434
    12. Jenson Button (Britain) Honda 1:22.477
    13. David Coulthard (Britain) RedBull - Renault 1:22.667
    14. Takuma Sato (Japan) Super Aguri - Honda 1:22.929
    15. Adrian Sutil (Germany) Spyker - Ferrari 1:23.248
    16. Kazuki Nakajima (Japan) Williams - Toyota 1:23.261
    17. Anthony Davidson (Britain) Super Aguri - Honda 1:23.551
    18. Sakon Yamamoto (Japan) Spyker - Ferrari 1:24.366

Opted out of practice: Nick Heidfeld (Germany) BMW Sauber, Robert Kubica (Poland) BMW Sauber, Fernando Alonso (Spain) McLaren, Giancarlo Fisichella (Italy) Renault

Times after Friday's second practice session:

1. Lewis Hamilton (Britain) McLaren one min 12.767 seconds
    2. Fernando Alonso (Spain) McLaren 1:12.889
    3. Felipe Massa (Brazil) Ferrari 1:13.075
    4. Kimi Raikkonen (Finland) Ferrari 1:13.112
    5. Giancarlo Fisichella (Italy) Renault 1:13.549
    6. Robert Kubica (Poland) BMW Sauber 1:13.587
    7. Nico Rosberg (Germany) Williams - Toyota 1:13.655
    8. Kazuki Nakajima (Japan) Williams - Toyota 1:33.664
    9. David Coulthard (Britain) RedBull - Renault 1:13.706
    10. Nick Heidfeld (Germany) BMW Sauber 1:13.785
    11. Ralf Schumacher (Germany) Toyota 1:13.829
    12. Heikki Kovalainen (Finland) Renault 1:13.879
    13. Rubens Barrichello (Brazil) Honda 1:13.892
    14. Jenson Button (Britain) Honda 1:14.095
    15. Vitantonio Liuzzi (Italy) Toro Rosso - Ferrari 1:14.152
    16. Jarno Trulli (Italy) Toyota 1:14.179
    17. Sebastian Vettel (Germany) Toro Rosso - Ferrari 1:14.409
    18. Takuma Sato (Japan) Super Aguri - Honda 1:14.431
    19. Anthony Davidson (Britain) Super Aguri - Honda 1:14.477
    20. Mark Webber (Australia) RedBull - Renault 1:14.543
    21. Adrian Sutil (Germany) Spyker - Ferrari 1:15.095
    22. Sakon Yamamoto (Japan) Spyker - Ferrari 1:15.715

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

huh

That's weird... Isn't the "normal" punishment on violating the rules some form of penalty on qualifying places? Has this (fines for rules violation) ever happened before?

Oh well - at least the other teams in the wrong got the same fines as well......

Quote:
    moto said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

huh

That's weird... Isn't the "normal" punishment on violating the rules some form of penalty on qualifying places? Has this (fines for rules violation) ever happened before?

Oh well - at least the other teams in the wrong got the same fines as well......

Iirc R. Schumacher did something similar in Monaco 2005 but the punishment was quite different.(+0.5 secs)

Here it is:

"Ralf Handed Qualifying Penalty

May 19th 2005, 17:47 GMT

Toyota's Ralf Schumacher was ordered to add a half second penalty to his Monaco Grand Prix aggregate qualifying time after a tyre error in free practice on Thursday. "

But Lex Hamilton is not Ralf Schumacher, of course.

Starting positions:

1.Massa
    2.Hamilton
    3.Kimi
    4.Alonso

Brazilian F1 GP Qualifying...

Brazilian F1 GP Qualifying (20-Oct-07)

Hamilton starts second in Brazil...

Britain's Lewis Hamilton will start second in Sunday's Brazilian Grand Prix as he bids to become the first driver to win the title in his debut season.

Hamilton, aiming for his fifth win of the year, finished 0.151 seconds behind Ferrari's Felipe Massa in qualifying.

Kimi Raikkonen, currently third in the drivers' standings, will start from the second row at Interlagos.

Fernando Alonso, who can take his third successive title if he wins with Hamilton third or lower, goes fourth.

Hamilton, 22, will become Britain's first world champion since Damon Hill in 1996 if he wins or comes second on the Sao Paulo circuit.

But he was overshadowed in qualifying by home town hero Massa, fastest in Saturday morning practice and for much of the qualifying session.

Massa celebrated with an extra lap after qualifying finished, which will affect the amount of fuel he has available for the race.

Hamilton leads McLaren team-mate Alonso by four points, with Raikkonen a further three back entering the defining weekend of a thrilling championship.

[http://news.bbc.co.uk/solpda/ukfs_sport/hi/newsid_7051000/7051588.stm]

Re: Brazilian F1 GP Qualifying...

It was a very close and nail-biting finish to qualifying. Honestly, Alonso seems to have given up. He was just as slow in comparison to Ham today as he was in the last qualifying. But with the FIA official in the garage, exactly as I predicted, he now cannot make excuses for being off the pace. Simple fact, he has been slower.

In many years of following F1, one of the most impressive things is how Hamilton adapts so quickly to a circuit he has never seen before. I have never seen anyone do this. Fingers crossed and he will fully deserve the chmaionship if he wins.

As an aside, I was surprised Raikonnen wasnt faster, but I do think Massa and Hamilton performed exceptionally today, and both were ahead of their respective team-mates.

BTW, did you see where Hamilton was while Kimi was on the fast flying lap? Both times?

@KresoF1: yes but he didn't impede Kimi letting him past with minimal fuss IMHO.

My query is....is Alonso on a different fuel load from Hamilton? Or was he struggling because of the higher track temperatures affecting grip?

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    BTW, did you see where Hamilton was while Kimi was on the fast flying lap? Both times?

A phrase with the words 'at', 'straws', and clutching' in it comes to mind

Easy, that minimal fuss is Pole Position... Kimi lost 0.2s just while driving around Hamilton...

BUT, first corner will be interesting! Worst case scenario for you UK Hamilton fans-either Alonso hits Hamilton...

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    @KresoF1: yes but he didn't impede Kimi letting him past with minimal fuss IMHO.

Really? I think that if Ferrari complains to the FIA he should be punished like Alonoso was last year in Monza, but we all know that there are no rules for Lex Hamilton.

I think that if he wins the Championship he will be the worthless champion ever, racing with the Ferrari-Mc Laren and breaking every known rule, but as F1 is a British 'sport', you won't care about that, I know.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

My query is....is Alonso on a different fuel load from Hamilton? Or was he struggling because of the higher track temperatures affecting grip?

Easy, I think that at this critical stage, when all three contenders needed to raise their game to the optimum, Alonso and Kimi have come up slightly short. I dont think Lewis' exuberance in the press conference suggests he is fuelled too differently to Alonso, and since both McLarens had a similar amount of fuel burning laps I doubt they are massively different. I just read on Autosport that Alonso is now saying that Lewis being ahead of him in the fuel burning phase caused him to work his tyres harder and hence cost him four tenths..didnt affect Massa for some reason

In fact over the last few races, Alonso has not had the pace in qualifying even when on a similar or identical fuel load to Hamilton. With the importance of qualifying these days, that is a major setback.

I wonder if there will ever be a day when Alonso will simply admit he was simply not as quick

Quote:
    gangajas said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

Really? I think that if Ferrari complains to the FIA he should be punished like Alonoso was last year in Monza, but we all know that there are no rules for Lex Hamilton.

I think that if he wins the Championship he will be the worthless champion ever, racing with the Ferrari-Mc Laren and braking every known rule, but as F1 is a British 'sport', you won't care about that, I know.

I think with those comments you have now officially qualified for the name 'crackjas'

And please remind me, is the great Alonso driving a different make of car to his team-mate perhaps

Quote:
    cgt said:
    Quote:
    gangajas said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

I think that if he wins the Championship he will be the worthless champion ever, racing with the Ferrari-Mc Laren and braking every known rule, but as F1 is a British 'sport', you won't care about that, I know.

I think with those comments you have now officially qualified for the name 'crackjas'

I don't care what an English fanatic says about me. I won't go down to your level,I have enough standing all the Britishs that come to my country and behave like animals.

Quote:
    cgt said:

And please remind me, is the great Alonso driving a different make of car to his team-mate perhaps

No, that's why I put Lex Hamilton at the same level than Alonso. But at least Alonso it isn't receiving any extra-help from the British FIA.

I can assure you I am far from a fanatic, but I can see things with a lot of clarity and I appreciate when somebody whose career I have followed for over six years performs exceptionally well against the expectations of many.

By the way, his name is Lewis Hamilton. I just thought I should point that out if we are talking about the same person.

Have a good evening!

Isnt it funny how often Hamilton just "happpens" to be blocking, delaying or distracting his opponents?

From F1.com:
    "There was some controversy afterwards, however, when Ferrari accused Hamilton of getting in Raikkonen's way when he left the pits for the final time. Hamilton strongly denies any wrongdoing and said that he moved over as soon as he realised how close the Finn was to him."

AFAIK this is the third time this season that Hamilton is "unfortunate" to be in someone's path. (Qualifying and holding up Alonso who later blocked Hamilton in the pitlane, driving like a drunk in Japan behind safety car and this.)

Sorry to say so, but this guy stinks more and more.
    If he had a Mark Webber attitude, I'd accept it - but his goodie-two-shoes BS is starting to pi55 me off.
    I hope he gets the same treatment from the other boys as he has given them.
    "Whoops, we just happened to drive ur sorry ass into the tyrewall. Sorry!"

Quote:
    gangajas said:

I think that if he wins the Championship he will be the worthless champion ever, racing with the Ferrari-Mc Laren and breaking every known rule, but as F1 is a British 'sport', you won't care about that, I know.

Alonso was punished last year according to the rules that applied at that time in 2006 i.e. he slowed Massa down because of the air turbulence he caused even though he (Alonso) didn't see Massa. The rules were changed immediately after this event. So now, a driver on his in/out lap is only penalised for impeding a driver on his hot lap if this was "intentional".

Hamilton did nothing intentional. He simply happened to be there both times when Kimi was on a hot lap. He simply kept out of Kimi's way. What else was he supposed to do? Drive off the race track? Don't be ridiculous. It was simply bad luck for Kimi.

Do yourself a big favour - don't embarrass yourself by making sure you know the rules before you start making absurd comments.

"Worthless champion", "breaking every known rule"? HUH? Are you serious? For heaven's sake man. I have nothing personal against you so just have some self-respect since anyone reading what you wrote will be laughing at you.

I am now going to go enjoy the Rugby World Cup Final. Have a good night and just enjoy the race tomorrow for what it is...and may the best driver win.

Dr. Phil, I respect your opinions but in the heat of the dying minutes of a qualifying session, with the car released on to the track by the team, do you think a driver has enough time to think about blocking his opponent rather than worry about his own lap? From what I saw on TV it appeared Kimi went past then messed up by himself in the following corner (not the first time he has done that this season). At least your argument is rationally put but with respect I do disagree. If we are going to pick over everything like this, we should also talk about Massa doing one extra slowing down lap instead of coming into the pits, which theoretically gives him an advantage.

Quote:
    cgt said:
    I can assure you I am far from a fanatic, but I can see things with a lot of clarity and I appreciate when somebody whose career I have followed for over six years performs exceptionally well against the expectations of many.

By the way, his name is Lewis Hamilton. I just thought I should point that out if we are talking about the same person.

Have a good evening!

I know his name is Lewis, but Lex is how many people in F1 know him, I don't know why.

Anyway, enjoy you first British champion....since (Coulthard could have won a Championship ot two but the 'equality' rules of R.Dennis didn't let him win) 199x??

Watch Hamilons move again against Kimi. Hamilton blocked Kimi and did it perfectly in a smart axx "Oh Me?" way.

Wake up and smell the coffee. These guys are ruthless and try to stretch the rules and get away with stuff whenever and however they can.

I dont know why Hamilton fans think he only has milk and cookies on his brain. In F2 he was no saint either.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Quote:
    gangajas said:

Alonso was punished last year according to the rules that applied at that time in 2006 i.e. he slowed Massa down because of the air turbulence he caused even though he (Alonso) didn't see Massa. The rules were changed immediately after this event. So now, a driver on his in/out lap is only penalised for impeding a driver on his hot lap if this was "intentional".

Hamilton did nothing intentional. He simply happened to be there both times when Kimi was on a hot lap. He simply kept out of Kimi's way. What else was he supposed to do? Drive off the race track? Don't be ridiculous. It was simply bad luck for Kimi.

Do yourself a big favour - don't embarrass yourself by making sure you know the rules before you start making absurd comments.

"Worthless champion", "breaking every known rule"? HUH? Are you serious? For heaven's sake man. I have nothing personal against you so just have some self-respect since anyone reading what you wrote will be laughing at you.

I am now going to go enjoy the Rugby World Cup Final. Have a good night and just enjoy the race tomorrow for what it is...and may the best driver win.

Ok, Ok, I won't criticize Lex anymore, I don't want all the British Empire against me. Lewis is a prefect driver, a perfect gentelman, he never makes any mistake, he has never broken any rule and he hasn't recieved any favourable treatment from the FIA and McLaren, McLaren has never spied Ferrari and R. Dennis is the most honorable person on Earth. Are you happy now?

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Watch Hamilons move again against Kimi. Hamilton blocked Kimi and did it perfectly in a smart axx "Oh Me?" way.

Wake up and smell the coffee. These guys are ruthless and try to stretch the rules and get away with stuff whenever and however they can.

I dont know why Hamilton fans think he only has milk and cookies on his brain. In F2 he was no saint either.

Agreed. I dislike Hamilton, because he is a hypocrite. He pretends to be the nice and polite little boy, but is as ruthless as any other driver, if not more. With some luck Alonso will do what the video a few days ago showed and take out Hamilton, allowing Kimi to win.

The classical Hollywood ending would see Alonso and Hamilton DNF - with Massa winning the race in his hometown and Kimi second - giving Kimi the title.

Kimi is a decent guy. I hope he wins it.

After this year I hope McLaren quits F1 to focus on racing midget stock cars in Guatemala. Their attitude and ethics stink.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    The classical Hollywood ending would see Alonso and Hamilton DNF - with Massa winning the race in his hometown and Kimi second - giving Kimi the title.

Kimi is a decent guy. I hope he wins it.

After this year I hope McLaren quits F1 to focus on racing midget stock cars in Guatemala. Their attitude and ethics stink.

Jim, though I doubt Dr. Phil hasn't already told you, there is no way that McLaren would be able to race midget stock cars, because they are planning on firing the only midget on the team after this season .

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763655 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436057 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260836 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257807 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82569 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

874716 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808406 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM