Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Last Call! Adding a few options, any advice?

Quote:
    Rickless said:
    Heres the rest of my order. The way I drive, I just could not go with the ceramics. My Wife got the Tip part.
    You guys have been so very helpful you have no idea!!
    911 Turbo Cabriolet 997 630 Price
    XSB Sport Seat Backs in Leather 1,610.00
    CFA Tiptronic Gate Leather 305.00
    -------------------------
    Total with Options $ 171,340.00
    DSTCHG Destination Charge 860.00
    Total Charges $ 860.00
    Total Order $ 172,200.00

Sounds awesome but you could easily get the PCCB's with leaving some options off. Steel brakes on a $170k 911 isn't the way I'd go , just my opinion. I just sold my 997 w/ steel and honestly hated having them, the only part about the car I really despised. Rest of you spec sounds incredible, color is obviously subjective but I'm sure you must have given the Orange a lot of thought, what color is the stitching?

What I'd do is leave the steering wheel options out and then just go with the one from Techart. They can make it any way you want. Any color stitching, with CF, etc. It's available for both the standard or the multifunction version.

I love the way the CF steering wheel feels on mine.

Nice and thick

And I agree with Gregg on the PCCBs. They're a must have if possible. You said, the way you drive...how do you drive?

I gotta get that wheel, love it!

Great spec'd cab. Mine will be very similar except leaning toward Yellow with PccB's and black wheels.( at least today)
    CF Muti Purpose Wheel is not available with deviated stitching. I emailed Porsche Exclusive on that very point. CF wheel not an exclusive option code and thus is not covered by 09991. Have to go with CPA to get multi p wheel with deviated stitch

Because of past pics of this wheel from Jason, I called to see lead time. Was told it could be up to two months. Jason, was this your experience? I have a Jan production and want to make sure the wheel is here in time. Also, isn't it a special request to NOT get the TechArt Logo on the wheel? From what I can gather, you have to be very specific in ordering this wheel as there are many options.

Crap!! I didnt even think about the stitching on the steering wheel. The stitching is Orange. So now the steering wheel will look fugly and it is way too late to change. Can I getr the TechArt wheel and have the dealer install it? Maybe they can give me a partial credit for the Porsche Option Carbon multifunction wheel. I have a Nero Carbonio Qporte with Black interior and red stitching throughout, EXCEPT on the steering wheel and it drives me nuts!! These high end car dealers always puzzle us at some point I suppose, especially Porsche. It took months of research on this very forum to even have a glimpse of the options. The local dealers are clueless as to the finer points.

As far as the ceramics, I will NEVER track the car, it more or less a dream car but I am not going to begin tracking cars at 50 years old. I was told on this forum that I will never really get to appreciate the ceramics unless I push the car at speed. Perhaps I can at least PAINT the steelies?? Red/orange....yuck.

Actually, you're better off with the PCCBs if you DON'T track the car. Isn't that an oxymoron. Reason for that is that those ceramic rotors are $$$ when a replacement is needed and you're far more likely to do that if you track the car. If you don't, then these ceramic rotors essentially will last forever. So, the PCCBs would've actually been very good for you. I've had a chance to compare the PCCBs vs steel versions and MAN, I'll always order the ceramics if possible from now on. They're definitely worth the extra $$$. Don't worry, the steel versions are still very good so even if you didn't get them, it's not a bad thing. I just LOVE the PCCBs now.

And yes, that's about my experience with ordering the Techart wheel. About 2 months lead time and yes, I ordered it prior to getting the car. Mine arrived a few weeks before the car arrived so it worked out perfectly. You do have to pay a $600 core charge on top of the steering wheel cost itself. It's refundable once you send the OEM steering wheel back to Techart. Email the guys at CEC wheels (www.cecwheels.com) to find a local Techart retailer in your area to get the order started. I definitely recommend it. And, Rickless, unfortunately you won't be getting "extra" credit for your CF steering wheel. The irony is that even though you'd think that the CF version is an exclusive item, it's not so therefore it does not fall under 09991 which covers excluvive items. The irony is that 09991 covers XPA - thicker steering wheel, etc. So, it does look like you're going to end up with no deviated stitching on your OEM CF wheel. Definitely think about going with Techart if you can. They'll make it ANY way you want it and yes, you have to be very explicit about how you want it made. Leather type (natural, color, etc), with or without Techart logo (mine is without since I wanted to retain the OEM look), carbon fiber, wood (type), all leather, etc, stitching color, etc. It turns out beautifully when it finally does come. And finally, yes, the dealership should be able to install it for you. It was a really easy install from what I could see.

What's even more retarded is that the MF wheel with AluDesign inserts is an Exclusive option, but the same wheel with CF or wood inserts is not.

Just be careful when speccing your TechArt wheel, since they offer a lot of similar, but different versions. Otherwise, it should turn out beautifully.

Hello Jason,

Very good point. This is exactly what I found out as I did some research on this topic while spec'ing my car. Strangely enough, PCCB may have been advertised as being for the track, have some characters that are ideal for the track, but a lot of people who track cars don't use it for reasons you mentioned.

Of the few people I asked who have simultaneous and long term experience with both PCCB and Big Red, the recommendation for PCCB is universal, as long as the car is not tracked. For anyone who is not sure about this option, *if* you haven't done so, you might want to do some search for previous discussions. I actually cut back on internal cosmetic options so that I could use the budget for PCCB. To me it was one of the most important options of my car and at this level of car purchase (150k), I most definitely wouldn't want to be without it.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Actually, you're better off with the PCCBs if you DON'T track the car. Isn't that an oxymoron. Reason for that is that those ceramic rotors are $$$ when a replacement is needed and you're far more likely to do that if you track the car...

*If* you have done your research on the multifunction wheel and know exactly what you are getting, never mind. But in case you don't know yet: The MF wheel may not be the perfect choice for the following reasons: It lacks the thumb rests at 2 and 10 o'clock. The overall grip is thinner (not necessarily desirable) and the overall diameter is larger than the standard wheel (ditto). I've also read from some users (not all) that the functions that are added to the steering wheel are not that helpful or critical, but I have no personal experience with this.

Some of us therefore opt for the standard wheel and add option XPA to make it thicker (look at Stradale's option list for example). This would make the wheel similar to the one used in the GT2, and per my sales guy, the wheel that Porsche wants us to use.

If you still must have multifunction, then you might want to add an option that makes it thicker (CPA?? check to make sure I am correct). Note that even with CPA, the multifunction would still lack the thumb rests and has larger overall diameter.

Congrats on your car and hope this helps.

Quote:
    Rickless said:
    Heres mine! Color to be GT3RS Orange! what do you guys think? Oh, I did add leather seatbacks and got the stitching covered I hope!!
    Retail
    911 Turbo Cabriolet 997 630 Price
    BASE Porsche Base Model 136,500.00

453 Carbon Str Whl Multifctn 620.00

Re. the Techart wheel, you might want to see or feel it in person before ordering. It is very thick and obviously works just fine for a lot of people, but I find it too thick for my probably smaller than average hands (5'7", 150 lbs).

>>>>>>I was told on this forum that I will never really get to appreciate the ceramics unless I push the car at speed.

Depends on what you define as "speed" and don't want to steal Stradale's thread so I won't go into too much detail here, but do some search as this is not necessarily true. You might also want to consider the other issues: unsprung weight, initial bite and feel, no brake dust, looking pretty .

Quote:
    Rickless said:
    Crap!! I didnt even think about the stitching on the steering wheel. The stitching is Orange. So now the steering wheel will look fugly and it is way too late to change. Can I getr the TechArt wheel and have the dealer install it? Maybe they can give me a partial credit for the Porsche Option Carbon multifunction wheel. I have a Nero Carbonio Qporte with Black interior and red stitching throughout, EXCEPT on the steering wheel and it drives me nuts!! These high end car dealers always puzzle us at some point I suppose, especially Porsche. It took months of research on this very forum to even have a glimpse of the options. The local dealers are clueless as to the finer points.

As far as the ceramics, I will NEVER track the car, it more or less a dream car but I am not going to begin tracking cars at 50 years old. I was told on this forum that I will never really get to appreciate the ceramics unless I push the car at speed. Perhaps I can at least PAINT the steelies?? Red/orange....yuck.

Jason,
    I'm thinking of ordering the TechArt CF steering wheel. You mentioned (I think) that there are a # of different ways to order it, ie) Logo vs no Logo etc. Could you cover what's involved? / What options you found out about? Also approx. how much will it cost/ do I go through CEC or whom do I contact?

ps: I want to keep my XPA wheel so how would that work, do you know? TIA~

I just got mine today, see my other post for pic.

I ordered mine thru my local TechArt dealer which in turn deal with CEC in the States.

You can have it with the round or triangle airbag, with or without carbon inlay, with or without logo, leather colored to match your interior, and it will also have the tip buttons if your car is tip and the multifunction buttons if your car was so equipped. So asically when you order your TechArt wheel you spec it out exactly what you want and they will make it.

The core, 'stock wheel' is supposed to be exchanged with the TechArt wheel but for extra $ you get to keep the stock one.

It took mine just under a month from ordering to arriving, but since I am in Canada, the time might be shorter for US orders.

Gregg,

Just as Nick pointed out. You'd contact CEC via Mark (m.carrillo@cecwheels.com) to find a local Techart reseller in your area. Contact them and get one ordered. I think you have to pay a deposit. Depends on the reseller. If you want to get one exactly like mine, order it like this:

Type 1 (circular version)
    Black leather with carbon fiber (shiny clear coat finish)
    No Techart logo
    OEM dark grey stitching

Due to the devaluation of the American dollar, the Techart steering wheel price has gone up a bit. I think it'd be around $2300 + $600 core charge. To keep your XPA steering wheel, you'd just have to forego the $600 dollar core charge. You should definitely check with Sunset Porsche to see how much they'd charge for the thicker rim steering wheel. It might actually be cheaper than paying the $600 core charge.

Do you have to order XPA if they're going to change the rim? I mean, the circular core is the same in the TT's stock wheel and in the XPA wheel.

I think it's too late for him to remove XPA from his order. No big deal. I ordered XPA on mine and gave it to another Turbo owner who didn't have it. He sent his back to Techart to cover the core charge.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    I think it's too late for him to remove XPA from his order. No big deal. I ordered XPA on mine and gave it to another Turbo owner who didn't have it. He sent his back to Techart to cover the core charge.

I still have time to change my order but I'm keeping XPA because to me it's worth the piece of mind because I basically can't make up my mind whether to switch it or not. And because I had the XPA on my 997 S cabrio & Loved it. On TechArts' site this wheel looks a little different it doesn't have the Vocano grey, is it possible to eliminate it? Since I'm getting the leather PCM & Leather seatbacks the only Volcano grey left on the car will be the very small pieces on the seat control (tilt) & the piece on the steering wheel.

Obvioulsy I'd get black w/ CF top but here's another without the Volcano grey

In tan, nice ECA btw.

The problem with that however is that the volcano grey trim is part of the airbag module itself. Techart only sends the steering wheel. See the picture below:

I wanted to do the same thing that you did too but wasn't able to get it done. If you somehow manage to get that done in black, please let me know how. I might just end up getting mine painted locally.

The irony is that with the multifunction steering wheel, there's an option to get the volcano grey Y-trim covered in leather. I'm not sure why they don't offer the same for the circular trim.

Check out the TechArt Turbo Cabrio! Nice~

http://www.techart.de/homee_gesamt.htm

Hmmmmmmmmmmm........

I'm out of my mind.. Just got back from a visit to the Porsche dealership in Greenwich CT. (I had to be in the area)

I'm going to switch my paint from Basalt to Black. After owning 6 or 7 black cars (Including a black 996 Turbo & 3 Black BMW's including an M5) in the last few years & having a black SUV (currently) & 2 Motorcycles (currently) w/ partial black jobs, I know I'm nuts, I know how much work it is but I can't help myself....... Ugghhhhhhhhh! Anyone sane around to talk me out of it before another call to the dealer to change my order? Pleeezzz I'm begging for help! LoL!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    I'm out of my mind.. Just got back from a visit to the Porsche dealership in Greenwich CT. (I had to be in the area)

I'm going to switch my paint from Basalt to Black. After owning 6 or 7 black cars (Including a black 996 Turbo & 3 Black BMW's including an M5) in the last few years & having a black SUV (currently) & 2 Motorcycles (currently) w/ partial black jobs, I know I'm nuts, I know how much work it is but I can't help myself....... Ugghhhhhhhhh! Anyone sane around to talk me out of it before another call to the dealer to change my order? Pleeezzz I'm begging for help! LoL!

You only live once. Get what you want, not what you would take because you are worried about something (i.e. paint maintenance).

If you really want black, go for it. Those black rims and the front spoiler look awesome on the champion car It's one of my favorite TT pics, but I'm sure I would scrape the hell out of that front lip

heh..heh..heh..just happened to be in the area

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

I'm not going to be the one to try to talk you out of this because I believe that black is the best color. Basalt is not as sharp. If and when I order my 997TT, it will blk/blk, just like my 997S. Go for it! And don't look back, because this is the right thing to do. And, I didn't read your aftermarket wheel thread because it's too long, but stick with the stock wheels with your turbo. They look fantastic, especially with the yellow PCCB's.

How about this? If you change you order this late in time, there's a strong possibility that your order will get bumped. It happened to me and it might happen to you. I changed mine from GT Silver to Cobalt Blue which resulted in a 2 month bump.

You absolutely can't go wrong with Basalt Black. It's really a stunning color with character and would be slightly easier to maintain because of it's metallic properties.

Did it work? I didn't think so...

Ah, Ha. I recall way back when, commenting on Black vs. Basalt but that's ok.. Owning a Triple Black Cab, and visually taking hours pondering over Black and Basalt, I know you wont be dissapointed. There is nothing like a detailed Black Cab.

so you are copying Beckhams's cab

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776931 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441608 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262729 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260879 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85144 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5531 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880590 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815766 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM