Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

VW Golf GTE or GTI?

OK, OK, I know neither of these are “Other Sports Cars” couldn’t think of any other Board to post on. Smiley

I’m retiring in a couple of months and will no longer need three cars, Boxster GTS - a definite keeper - my daily drive Volvo V40 D4 diesel and SWMBO’s Honda Jazz. We’ve narrowed the choice down to Golf GTE plug in hybrid or a GTI. Both are similar in price as here in the U.K. the government gives a decent subsidy to PHEV cars. GTI obviously would be the better drive, but we’ll be doing mainly local trips in the Golf with occasional 100km trips to see SWMBO’s family where we wouldn’t use the Boxster. Delivery times are becoming crazy on GTE models, I have one on order from November and delivery is now quoted at July (originally estimated at April when ordered). Demand is so high for the GTE that Volkswagen are no longer accepting any new orders for it. I could have a GTI in 15 weeks from order, so theoretically early April, not that the delivery date is all that critical. No penalty to change models. Our VW dealer will honour the part exchange values for the Volvo and Jazz despite the delayed delivery for the GTE.  

So, what to do? Head says wait for the GTE due to lower running costs on the majority of the time and we already have a fine drivers car in the Boxster, but heart says go for the GTI......Smiley Don’t want to go any more expensive than this, so VW Type R or Audi S3 etc not in the running. Looked at various other cars, including Honda Civic Sport or Type R. 

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Volvo V40 D4 R Design daily drive

Re: VW Golf GTE or GTI?

Hybrid has no congestion charge smiley

Just saying.

--

Whoopsy:

Hybrid has no congestion charge smiley

Just saying.

Very true....Smiley but currently only London here has a congestion charge - on the odd occasion I visit “the City” I use the train & underground. Other cities here are talking about introducing a congestion charge, but either for older diesel cars or only excluding pure electric cars - which I wouldn’t entertain. Recent changes to our Road Fund Duty mean that both GTE and GTI both incur the same GBP 100 annual charge, prior to April 2017 any vehicle emitting less than 100g/km was exempt, hence the diesel Volvo is zero RFD at 99 g/km. The testing for CO2 has been proven to be flawed ever since the notorious VW scandal.

Interestingly the GTE navigation is linked into the engine management, when GPS detects the car is entering urban areas it will automatically switch to electric only drive if there is sufficient charge in the battery to minimise pollution....... very clever!

Logic does persuade me to wait for the GTE I must admit
    --

How about i3S with the range extender? Surely that is still considered full electric car?

WAY:

How about i3S with the range extender? Surely that is still considered full electric car?

Thanks for the tip - but i3 is quite a bit more expensive, and even with the range extender version the refuelling range is less than 200 miles as it has a tiny fuel tank - the Golf with a 40 litre tank can achieve 400+ miles.I’m not overly struck by the styling either and the seats are not as comfortable as the Golf. It’s the same category as the Golf GTE being a plug in hybrid.

The Golf’s sister car, the A3 e-tron is very nice but the high price eliminates it as a choice. 

--

dreamcar:

OK, OK, I know neither of these are “Other Sports Cars” couldn’t think of any other Board to post on. Smiley

I’m retiring in a couple of months and will no longer need three cars, Boxster GTS - a definite keeper - my daily drive Volvo V40 D4 diesel and SWMBO’s Honda Jazz. We’ve narrowed the choice down to Golf GTE plug in hybrid or a GTI. Both are similar in price as here in the U.K. the government gives a decent subsidy to PHEV cars. GTI obviously would be the better drive, but we’ll be doing mainly local trips in the Golf with occasional 100km trips to see SWMBO’s family where we wouldn’t use the Boxster. Delivery times are becoming crazy on GTE models, I have one on order from November and delivery is now quoted at July (originally estimated at April when ordered). Demand is so high for the GTE that Volkswagen are no longer accepting any new orders for it. I could have a GTI in 15 weeks from order, so theoretically early April, not that the delivery date is all that critical. No penalty to change models. Our VW dealer will honour the part exchange values for the Volvo and Jazz despite the delayed delivery for the GTE.  

So, what to do? Head says wait for the GTE due to lower running costs on the majority of the time and we already have a fine drivers car in the Boxster, but heart says go for the GTI......Smiley Don’t want to go any more expensive than this, so VW Type R or Audi S3 etc not in the running. Looked at various other cars, including Honda Civic Sport or Type R. 

--

My advice? Get the GTE due to lower running cost and save that money for other fun stuff in life...like other cars (maybe, who knows?). Smiley You already have a nice sportscar, you don't really need a GTi, unless you really really want to (do you?). Yes, having a nice and sporty daily driver is fun but only if there is enough money left for other toys (or fun stuff).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    dreamcar:

--

My advice? Get the GTE due to lower running cost and save that money for other fun stuff in life...like other cars (maybe, who knows?). Smiley You already have a nice sportscar, you don't really need a GTi, unless you really really want to (do you?). Yes, having a nice and sporty daily driver is fun but only if there is enough money left for other toys (or fun stuff).

Thank you Christian - sound advice as always! Smiley The more I think the more I believe it is best to wait the extra couple of months for the GTE. If we didn’t have the Boxster, well the GTI would make more sense.

We wish you and your family a very Happy Christmas Smiley 

--

If the GTE is in demand, that helps also: if you find it was the wrond choice, you can sell it with less depreciation than a GTI.

Kimi:

If the GTE is in demand, that helps also: if you find it was the wrond choice, you can sell it with less depreciation than a GTI.

Very true..... and according to VW release even dealer stock orders have been cancelled - along with any order not actually tagged to a customer - in order to try and improve the “production bottleneck”. Unprecedented demand for what is basically a family hatchback, albeit with a fairly sophisticated drivetrain.

--

@dreamcar

I've just ordered an BMW i3s as company car to replace my Mini Cooper Works (R56), great car for my needs (home - office -city - aitport), fun to drive and no taxes for the usage as company car to pay! ;-)

Lord_Driftalot:

@dreamcar

I've just ordered an BMW i3s as company car to replace my Mini Cooper Works (R56), great car for my needs (home - office -city - aitport), fun to drive and no taxes for the usage as company car to pay! ;-)

But this thing is sooooo ugly... 😱

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Full opted in black/ black it's OK and as said, it's really fun to drive...for the city/ my usage

I applaud BMW for the individual styling - inside and out - of the i3, like it or not it’s different. The Golf however is thoroughly conventional, certainly boring in its styling, much like a 911 it has developed through evolution rather than revolution over its 40 year life. To sum it up I always think of Golf as “white goods” on wheels, functional and quality much like a Miele washing machine.

For me, the biggest disadvantages of the i3 is the very limited range, even with the range extender version, less than 200 miles, the Golf is 500 miles. And crucially for me, the cost, significantly higher than VW, and residual values of the i3 are quite poor, too.

--

I wanted to get my daughter a Renault Twizy at age 16, there is a speed limited version she could drive at that age. She said she would rather walk to school than drive in one of these and I get it. Why do some ELVs look that ugly?

--

GTE production delays halted orders in the UK according to Autocar

--

991 Carrera Black Edition, XC90 Black\Black - 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

GTE production delays halted orders in the UK according to Autocar

Hi, yes that is correct Smiley I got my order in just in time so mine is OK. I have a VW order number and status is “at the factory and is currently being scheduled for production”.Last time I checked with VW ln an estimated build date means 8 months from date of order to delivery. Smiley

I think it would have been easier getting a Porsche GT3......Smiley

--

Well the Golf GTE didn’t happen. When I ordered the car in late December I was given an estimated delivery of early April, which was fine, two months after my retirement. This then slipped to an estimated build date - with delivery a month later - of May, then June with a possibility of going back even further. Smiley So with a respectable financial encouragement from my VW dealer, I‘ve switched to a Golf GTI 230bhp DSG in tornado red with a build week of 5th March. According to various trade estimates depreciation is identical to the GTE, insurance and running costs slightly higher but much more fun to drive, with the GTE you can really feel the 200kg weight of batteries and the effect on handling. Went with my son for a long demonstration drive and he was so impressed he has ordered one too!Smiley

--

Nice, congrats! Can’t go wrong with a red GTi - a classic kiss

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Congratulations,

just one question. The Performance version features an active differential and better brakes, you weren’t keen to get that one? Not sure how much more expensive it is in the UK.

Have to say that, at least in the pre-facelift version, it helped with traction on corner exits when you drive the car more enthusiastic. On the other hand, you do have the 981 for that.

Ferdie:

Congratulations,

just one question. The Performance version features an active differential and better brakes, you weren’t keen to get that one? Not sure how much more expensive it is in the UK.

Have to say that, at least in the pre-facelift version, it helped with traction on corner exits when you drive the car more enthusiastic. On the other hand, you do have the 981 for that.

Thanks Ferdie and DaveGordon Smiley

The Peformance version is around GBP 1,500 more. The LSD is the biggest advantage of this version, 15bhp isn’t going to make a vast difference, and I doubt the larger brakes would either. Tornado red will make the car faster anyway.Smiley

C96C5079-8B3C-42C7-AF68-D6157DBBF84C.jpeg

As you state Ferdie, we have our Boxster for fun times, the Golf is our day to day car, unfortunately we had to draw the line somewhere. As it is we added a few extras, rear view camera, Dynamic Chassis Control ( to give the optimum ride comfort for SWMBO), climate windscreen, dynamic LED headlights to give the best possible night vision in the New Forest where numerous animals such as cows and ponies roam freely on unlit roads, and rear curtain airbags as we will occasionally be carrying three grandchildren a

I would have preferred the excellent manual gearbox, but SWMBO is used to auto, so........Smiley

--

A great car kiss It would definitely be on my list for a fun hatchback !

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

New A class is the new benchmark

BjoernB:

I’m no fan of the A Class I’m afraid. And I neither need or want a high performance hatch such as the AMG 45. Our Boxster GTS gives me all the excitement I need! Smiley

--

new Class A A45 will have 400HP !?! angel

dreamcar:

I’m no fan of the A Class I’m afraid. And I neither need or want a high performance hatch such as the AMG 45. Our Boxster GTS gives me all the excitement I need! Smiley

Congratulations  - in that case you have the perfect foil in the GTi SmileySmiley

dreamcar:
    BjoernB:

wasn't talking about the AMG - but the all new A class - it's a huge step - from cockpit to even Massage seats.....

BjoernB:
    dreamcar:
    BjoernB:

wasn't talking about the AMG - but the all new A class - it's a huge step - from cockpit to even Massage seats.....

It is untried and untested - I believe it doesn’t go on sale until June? Golf is a proven successful product. I’m always wary of getting the first batch of an all new model. Let the bugs be ironed out for the first year!

--

BjoernB:
    dreamcar:
    BjoernB:

New cockpit is similar to new S and new E class, looks quite good.

Speaking of A45 AMG: I am pretty sure that now that the new model is here, there will be nice offers for the "old" one.

--

dreamcar:

As you state Ferdie, we have our Boxster for fun times, the Golf is our day to day car, unfortunately we had to draw the line somewhere. As it is we added a few extras, rear view camera, Dynamic Chassis Control ( to give the optimum ride comfort for SWMBO), climate windscreen, dynamic LED headlights to give the best possible night vision in the New Forest where numerous animals such as cows and ponies roam freely on unlit roads, and rear curtain airbags as we will occasionally be carrying three grandchildren a

I would have preferred the excellent manual gearbox, but SWMBO is used to auto, so........Smiley

I totally understand that. The LSD comes into effect at corner exit when you are close to the limit of adhesion, so during spirited driving or in wet conditions. As a daily driver, you can certainly do without it as there is still the electronic brake differential coming into effect. The dynamic chassis control is a great feature in terms of comfort and you still retain the option to make it stiffer any time you're alone in the car. Dynamic LED headlights are a good choice as well. If you chose navigation, I´d advise to take Discover Media instead of Discover Pro since the latter´s is lacking any physical buttons, not even for volume.

I personally prefer the DSG on the GTI, not so much because of the gearbox itself but the shifting travel and clutch could be sportier... I never really felt excited to use the manual shifter on that car. 

Ferdie:
    dreamcar:

I totally understand that. The LSD comes into effect at corner exit when you are close to the limit of adhesion, so during spirited driving or in wet conditions. As a daily driver, you can certainly do without it as there is still the electronic brake differential coming into effect. The dynamic chassis control is a great feature in terms of comfort and you still retain the option to make it stiffer any time you're alone in the car. Dynamic LED headlights are a good choice as well. If you chose navigation, I´d advise to take Discover Media instead of Discover Pro since the latter´s is lacking any physical buttons, not even for volume.

I personally prefer the DSG on the GTI, not so much because of the gearbox itself but the shifting travel and clutch could be sportier... I never really felt excited to use the manual shifter on that car. 

Discover Media navigation is standard on U.K. spec GTI. Even the dealer didn’t recommend spending GBP 1,300 to fit the Pro Navigation. As with Porsche you can go tick-box mad with options, I like the standard traditional red tartan trim, leather is a hugely expensive option and isn’t even good quality. You can even tick a box and get virtually semi-autonomous driving too...Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689553 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409229 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255739 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234990 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4648 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857973 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774033 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM