Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Window

There was some sticky residue on the interior of my back window.

I got a razor blade (in a holder) and started to scrape it off as much as possible to be followed by some solvent to get the rest.

Guess what happens? This _should_ be in the manual somewhere as a warning:

Razor blade will scrape off the heating element! .

Nice huh?! I think I ruined two of the little rust-colored elements that run from port to starboard. The rest of them should still work though.

Don't make teh same mistake: NEVER use a scraper back there!

DAMMIT: the inconsistency (thinned and irregular line) is now VISIBLE when you look at it from outside the car!

Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Windo

Generally, you seem like quite a knowledgeable and savvy individual, but what an earth ere you thinking.

I could kick myself for not having posted on another thread to use a mild solvent. I apologise.

That's really unfortunate. Test the rear defogger to make sure the other lines still work. When I went about removing some old window tint from my 86 Carrera, I did some research on the procedure and everywhere I looked warned against using a razor blade anywhere near defroster lines. My recollection is that if you break one line, the entire system is broken and requires a complete window replacement ($$$). I hope I'm wrong!

Re: Learn The Hard Way: Razor On Inside Back Window

Sorry to hear that MMD.

Hi MMD,

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident.

The grid wires across the rear window are usually in a parallel circuit, so just the grid 'wires' that you damaged will not work. I call them wires, but they are just silk-screened on resistive paint.

The bad grid 'wires' are repairable!!! They sell kits just for this purpose that consist of conductive / resistive paint. Your automotive store (Autozone, etc.) usually carry this inexpensive kit.

It's easy to repair, but usually awkward to get to.

1st997 is exactly right. I made this mistake trying to tint the rear windows of my first car (85 Pontiac Grand Prix).

They have repairable stuff that's like a nail polish. It may actually be a tape now thanks to materials advancements.

Thanks guys for the sympathies and recommendations.

I never knew this stuff was so fragile. I never had occasion to try to deal with it so aggressively before. WOW!

I guessed what you had done just by reading the title. Maybe there is something that can bridge the material so that at least the defrosters still work. Ask the dealer or Google it as I'm sure this isn't the first time this has happened.

Quote:
    MMD said:

I got a razor blade (in a holder) and started to scrape it off as much as possible to be followed by some solvent to get the rest.

Nice huh?! I think I ruined two of the little rust-colored elements that run from port to starboard. The rest of them should still work though.

DAMMIT: the inconsistency (thinned and irregular line) is now VISIBLE when you look at it from outside the car!

They sell a kit at auto parts stores to fix the heating elements on the rear window. A long time ago, I had the window tint on my ex-Ferrari 328 removed and the A-Hole that removed it used a razor blade also. Of course, that completely ruined the functionality of the heating element on the rear window but I was fortunate to get the repair kit and got it fixed.

What solvent do you guys suggest to use to get residue off a window? My m3 has some residue on the front windshield inside from the break in instructions.

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    What solvent do you guys suggest to use to get residue off a window? My m3 has some residue on the front windshield inside from the break in instructions.

Try lighter fluid. It removes most sticker residue but doesn't hurt things.

Phil

Quote:
    Moogle said:

I have used Kent Speedy 500 Adhesive and Cement Remover for the past 25 years. One can of the stuff will last for years. On not so stubborn glues or plastics (Kent Speedy 500 can damage some plastics) I just use WD40.

If I have to remove sticker residue from glass, I use my wife's nail polish remover... it's acetone which does the job v easily I would just be a little bit extra careful about the acetone touching the heater element - just to be safe!

Quote:
    Moogle said:

Mineral spirits (not the same as "paint thinner").

Art museums use it in their conservation departments.

@ PS CA, jerrygee, easy_rider911, MMD, Thanks guys!

Be careful with using acetone on plastics. It can dissolve some plastics or cause a whitish haze ... our office staff has ruined the plastic on some spectacle frames.

Here's my amateur opinion on least to most aggressive solvents:

"Fool proof" for _automotive_ paint and plastics if they work

liquid parafin
    mineral spirits
    kerosene
    WD-40

somewhat aggressive can damage paint and plastic:

alcohol
    "Goop Off" (with a "p")

very aggressive (never use on paint or plastic):
    toulene
    acetone
    MEK
    "Goof Off" with an "f"
    laquer thinner

Oh..., and use whichever solvent "quickly" don't leave it in contact longer than necessary.

Of course! Never ever use acetone on plastic - it will spoil it instantly. I said you can use it on glass!

Never use on Razor blade ANYWHERE on glass.

To remove inspection/ regi. stickers from windshields I use "un do adhesive remover". It comes w/ a plastic scraper that clips onto the top of the bottle that wont scratch.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Why do you say that? In the real world doesn't "everybody" use a razor blade on a stick to get reg/inspect. stickers off?

I believe Porsche used to have a film on inside of windshield that could be damaged, but not anymore.

Gregg's right...some folks may use razor but I would advise against it. Too many potentials for things to go wrong with something sharp. I'd rather use adhesive removers like the one Gregg posted a picture of. I've used 3M adhesive removers on many things without incident.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Gregg's right...some folks may use razor but I would advise against it. Too many potentials for things to go wrong with something sharp. I'd rather use adhesive removers like the one Gregg posted a picture of. I've used 3M adhesive removers on many things without incident.

Oh, I see..., good point.

Will look for some specialized products like you guys recommend.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Why do you say that? In the real world doesn't "everybody" use a razor blade on a stick to get reg/inspect. stickers off?

I believe Porsche used to have a film on inside of windshield that could be damaged, but not anymore.

Never forget it.. Told the Ferrari dealer not to touch my car (my CS not my F430) when it arrived, not to wash it or anything. Sure enough one of the guys at the dealer used a razor blade to take off a sticker from the factory on the outside of the windshield and left a scratch there. If a piece of dirt gets on the razor or if the razor blade isnt 100% perfect (if it has a rough/chipped edge) you risk scratching the glass, that's why.

Did the dealership take care of that scratch for you? New glass or did they polish it out?

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Did the dealership take care of that scratch for you? New glass or did they polish it out?

Nah, I was so excited about getting the car & I thought I'm probably better off keeping the factory installed glass & just waiting to see if I get any chips or cracks later on and then replacing it but I never did and after a while it didn't really bother me. Wasn't noticebale except from inside when the sun hit it just right. ...That was probably the only scratch on that car.

Razor blades are safe enough on glass...with proper care and common sense... Never use without spraying an emollient (windex works great) on first..

For getting off sticky decal stuff, just use Goo-Gone, or any citrus-based product... Office Depot, Walmart, they sell it everywhere...

Toluene is safe on enamel paint (at least I've never ruined anything with it...)

Lastly, I'd give you a hard time on how obvious it should have been, in theory alone, that you'd trash your defroster elements... But you've already suffered enough punishment...

Quote:
    MMD said:

Check www.popularmechanics.com/carcare and see under heading "How to Repair Your Defroster Grids".

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM