Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Model X Thread Closed

from GCF:

" it even failed to finish the 2,6 km of the Hockenheimring Short with full power in Sport Auto "

Tesla's battery pack is not designed for continuous high current draw, like say in a 918 or basically any other Porsche hybrids. That's why it overheats. There simply isn't enough cooling for the batteries.

It is shall we say, a one hit wonder, it can do an amazing 1/4 run, then need some time to cool down before doing another amazing run. Good enough, as Friday night drag strip runs doesn't allow people to do back to back, so after a run owners have at least 30 mins wait, cool down period, before another.

Simply a design philosophy, Tesla is not designed as a performance car, even when Elon billed it as one, that it can put up amazing straight line performance number once in a while. But the general public only cares for those headline grabbing numbers. They won't bother with the rest.

Straight line drag is also an American thing, all they care, so Tesla plays into those hands perfectly.

If my memory serves me correctly, a Model S with performance tires will do 0.89g lateral, quite a bit less than my Cayenne on truck tires. A SUV actual out handles a sedan that's billed with a REALLY LOW Cg. 

--

Topspeed:

from GCF:

" it even failed to finish the 2,6 km of the Hockenheimring Short with full power in Sport Auto "

2.6km is a very long distance indeed...

Seriously, who cares? To me these exercises are exactly the same vein as taking a GT3 RS on semi slick to a track covered in snow. It wasn’t designed and build to do that. Heck I don’t even think I have ever floored my 510hp RRS... This edgy group here is a tiny minority in the real world.

+1 pointless discussion. Tesla’s and trackdays don’t match, like so many other car brands. Nothing wrong with that.

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

kiss

BiTurbo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie79Jk9Ob2s

An overweight softroader!   Really surprised that the traction is so weak in off-road conditions, allowing the open diff to transfer torque to the wheel with the least amount of traction.   Axle articulation is a joke too.  Convinced that Audi’s off-road modes will over significantly greater performance when their EV SUV is unveiled soon.  

BiTurbo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie79Jk9Ob2s

About par for "off-roading" for a minivan.

Model X IS. a minivan. Just because Elon called his minivan a SUV doesn't make it a SUV, nor a crossover.

Flat cabin floor with low ground clearance, that's a perfect description for a minivan.

And yes, there are minivans with AWD. Toyota Sienna. So even that bit doesn't qualify the Model X as a SUV.

--

X is definitely a minivan....angry

--

GT Lover

Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 on order

991 GT3 2014(sold)

CAYENNE GTS 2014

It is not just a minivan, it is the coolest minivan available today. I really don't like minivans and would never rent one, let alone buying one but for the X I will make an exception. The only problem, its too expensive for a minivan that is only good for transporting people from point to point. Thats is not 100K+ cars are made for.

AP911:

It is not just a minivan, it is the coolest minivan available today. I really don't like minivans and would never rent one, let alone buying one but for the X I will make an exception. The only problem, its too expensive for a minivan that is only good for transporting people from point to point. Thats is not 100K+ cars are made for.

There are no cool minivans. Period. 🤨

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Off road with an X? What’s the point? It wasn’t designed  for that.

RC:
    AP911:

Hmm no. The Model X is pretty cool, quite a few think it is. 

Turn the clock back 100 years or so, a Model X will be a major circus draw! It can drive itself, it can park itself, it got trick doors, come own, you have to agree that's more exciting than seeing the elephant man.

--

Whoopsy:
    ...........Turn the clock back 100 years or so, a Model X will be a major circus draw! It can drive itself, it can park itself, it got trick doors, come own, you have to agree that's more exciting than seeing the elephant man.

I wonder how many clowns it can hold?

SciFrog:

Off road with an X? What’s the point? It wasn’t designed  for that.

I wouldn’t try to cross a stream in it, that’s for sure. 

RC:
    AP911:

Thats why the X is not a Minivan Smiley

Paul from Supercars of London drive a Tesla Model X.

The model X is almost perfect.

Stretch the cabin a bit more for 3 row of seats for full size adults.Also extra leg room for 2nd row.

Add a bit more truck space behind the 3rd row. That also means the rear hatch needs to be more vertical.

Make sure the seats can be fold flat or removable for 4x8.

A/C plugs, 12V outlets everywhere. Giant cup holders too.

Flip down entertainment screens for 2nd row and 3rd row.

After all that, it will be perfect!

--

Whoopsy:

Stretch the cabin a bit more for 3 row of seats for full size adults.Also extra leg room for 2nd row.

Add a bit more truck space behind the 3rd row. That also means the rear hatch needs to be more vertical.

Sounds like you are describing the new Tesla truck Smiley

Whoopsy:

Also change the crappy design... Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

MKSGR:
    Whoopsy:

I am pretty sure he does... Smiley Smiley

--

MKSGR:
    Whoopsy:

More like the perfect mini van Smiley

--

I think one of the reasons Tesla decided to call the X an SUV and not a Van is because Vans are inherently cheap whereas expensive SUVs are common and are more interesting today. Demand for a cheap Tesla Van would be high, but not an expensive one. 

Van = cheap and uncool and RWD

SUV = expensive and cool and AWD

Why would Tesla call their people mover that is expensive, has AWD and doesn’t look like a minivan a minivan? 

Tesla made the right decision, but it share a lot of similarities with minivans. It does look like a minivan and if you sit in one, especially in the back, you would feel that you are sitting in a minivan. It has the spaciousness as a minivan, they just decided to go with the minivan sportback design. This is a new category that only the X is in. 

AP911:

Tesla made the right decision, but it share a lot of similarities with minivans. It does look like a minivan and if you sit in one, especially in the back, you would feel that you are sitting in a minivan. It has the spaciousness as a minivan, they just decided to go with the minivan sportback design. This is a new category that only the X is in. 

GM did that many years ago with the AztecSmiley

--

SciFrog:

Why would Tesla call their people mover that is expensive, has AWD and doesn’t look like a minivan a minivan? 

Toyota Sienna has had AWD for the longest time.

Plus, Mercedes has the really cool really expensive minivan in Europe, The V-class. 

--

Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

Toyota Sienna has had AWD for the longest time.

Plus, Mercedes has the really cool really expensive minivan in Europe, The V-class. 

--

Even the Chrysler Town and Country has all-wheel drive and I believe that Ford offered such an equipped mini-van back in the 1990s.  Tesla, leading once again from behind...

Nice video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=675&v=C8CgeT_qpB0

It shows you why you cannot use a Tesla in Germany... Just look at 11:00, for example...

If you use a Tesla a bit the system cuts back power, the batteries get too hot etc. I would call it crap. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690401 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409703 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255934 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235187 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65639 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858362 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774618 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM