Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Autobild-Walter Rohrl-997 GT2

I changed my mind too... Was going to buy the 997TT cab, but so many little dissapointements culminating with poor NBR lap times made me look elsewhere. So many nice cars out there... Maybe the 998TT will be what you want.

Quote:
    turbosteff said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

BTW: it is really remarkable how much you like your 997TT by now... For the benefit of the readers of this forum we might point out that until 18 months ago you never thought of buying a Porsche! Then I convinced you to buy a Porsche (don't deny it , you know it is true)... Actually, you bought more than one in the few months that followed...

And today: you are telling me - who is one of the major if not the only reason why you bought a 997TT - that I might argue without proper logic Very funny Very funny indeed

18 month ago you were convinced that the 997TT is a fast car with a lot of advantages for me.Today you are convinced that the 997TT is an under performer. That means to me: better not to listen to you because you could change your mind day by day....

Well... In the meantime (i.e. in those 18 months) the following happened: I drove the car I read many, many reviews in the press, we had many, many reports and discussions here on Rennteam

My perception of the 997TT today is not the same as it was 18 months ago Now, I will not make the same mistake again with the GT2 - thus, I will keep sceptical until the car has been reviewed (by us and third parties) thoroughly

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    I changed my mind too... Was going to buy the 997TT cab, but so many little dissapointements culminating with poor NBR lap times made me look elsewhere. So many nice cars out there... Maybe the 998TT will be what you want.

Exactly, we should decide on a case by case basis. Sometimes new cars do not fulfill expectations. Is it better then to buy them anyhow? Or is it better to speak out the truth and look for something else? I am not married to Porsche

Quote:
    turbosteff said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

BTW: it is really remarkable how much you like your 997TT by now... For the benefit of the readers of this forum we might point out that until 18 months ago you never thought of buying a Porsche! Then I convinced you to buy a Porsche (don't deny it , you know it is true)... Actually, you bought more than one in the few months that followed...

And today: you are telling me - who is one of the major if not the only reason why you bought a 997TT - that I might argue without proper logic Very funny Very funny indeed

18 month ago you were convinced that the 997TT is a fast car with a lot of advantages for me.Today you are convinced that the 997TT is an under performer. That means to me: better not to listen to you because you could change your mind day by day....

BTW, you write that here. But then: suddenly you are interested in Ferrari - although you were never interested in Ferrari before Could it be a coincidence that I will take delivery of my 599GTB soon and have frequently outlined to you my reasons to buy it

Quote:
    turbosteff said:
    What is with your sense (or have you just forgotten what you wrote 30 sec. ago) : you wrote in the post above WR never confirmed 7.34 in AB??? Ans I think all rennteam members -the good informed and the uninformed members- knows that lap times on NS can differ within 2 seconds.
    Or is AB not good enough for confimation?

Exactly. He never confirmed 7:34 in AB (as you claimed in your post). He confirmed 7:32 in AB

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    turbosteff said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

BTW, you write that here. But then: suddenly you are interested in Ferrari - although you were never interested in Ferrari before Could it be a coincidence that I will take delivery of my 599GTB soon and have frequently outlined to you my reasons to buy it

Sorry my friend. You know I was interested in a 997 GT3 RS for track use. But then a would have 3 997s (it was also your point ). I told you that I don't like the Ferraris because of the design. But then came the Scuderia the major advantages are:
    1. it is a limited edition (I like such editions )
    2. it has the F1 gear. That is a huge advantage over the manual gear GT3 RS.
    I would never buy a "normal" F430.

PS: The reasons for buying the turbo was (in this order):
    1.AWD
    2. design
    3. TIP Tronic

PPS: We will meet in Leipzig next year 559 vs. underperformer 997TT. Then we will see...

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    turbosteff said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

18 months ago he expected the 997TT to be superior in every aspect to its predecessor. We know this isn't the case today. Anyway, buy the man a pizza instead of grilling him for his criticism of Porsche. After all, he suggested you buy this car, you did, you like it, apparently enough to argue with him over the internet, so what's the problem if he changed his mind? You love your car, he loves to criticize your car and everybody's happy .

You are right I order him a Pizza, let him pay and grill him!

Quote:
    turbosteff said:

PPS: We will meet in Leipzig next year 559 vs. underperformer 997TT. Then we will see...

Hehehe, then you can still argue that it was just the driver who was quicker not the car (i.e. the 599)

P.S.: Don't get me wrong, the Scuderia would be just perfect for you

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Quote:
    haudimal said:
    an other Supertest fact:

Hockenheim

997TT: 1.11,9
    996TT: 1.14,6
    996GT2:1.12,6

Kind of funny, that in Hockenheim the 997TT is about 3 sec faster and on a track 6 times longer only 4 sec faster.

In Hockenheim it's even faster then 996GT2, but what goes wrong on the ring ->

PTM setup. It is(was) tricky on the limit. And PTM could be as well little bit too fast for most drivers on the limit(of course not for W.Rohrl).

Which is why I have been saying HvS didn't get all the performance out of the 997TT and hence the disappointing times.

Quote:
    VGA18 said:

Second- If HVS test 997GT2 on Nring and get a 7.40 time on that test. What would we say about it compared to WR?? HVS must retire and must do barbeque at his home?? or something wrong with Porsche claims and real worl time tests.(As most of us including me,you,marcus and many of us assume SA and HVS as the most real one compared to other crap tests) Ok i understand there can be a difference but they have at least 8-10 sec difference which seems very high

If that's the case a certain someone in here will surely scream omg my god the sky is falling, Porsche disappoint me again, I will not buy that car and all sorts of negative vibe filling the board. I noticed there are people here who by cars based solely on HvS's numbers and ignoring everything else.

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Quote:
    VGA18 said:

Second- If HVS test 997GT2 on Nring and get a 7.40 time on that test. What would we say about it compared to WR?? HVS must retire and must do barbeque at his home?? or something wrong with Porsche claims and real worl time tests.(As most of us including me,you,marcus and many of us assume SA and HVS as the most real one compared to other crap tests) Ok i understand there can be a difference but they have at least 8-10 sec difference which seems very high

If that's the case a certain someone in here will surely scream omg my god the sky is falling, Porsche disappoint me again, I will not buy that car and all sorts of negative vibe filling the board. I noticed there are people here who by cars based solely on HvS's numbers and ignoring everything else.

At least Porsche would lose a buyer with me. They will not give a sh*t about guys like you who don't even consider buying it as they are fully satisfied with a standard 997TT Life is brutal isn't it

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Quote:
    VGA18 said:

At least Porsche would lose a buyer with me. They will not give a sh*t about guys like you who don't even consider buying it as they are fully satisfied with a standard 997TT Life is brutal isn't it

As an aside, does anyone know if the GT2 wheels are the same as the GT3 wheels? Or are they forged versions?

Quote:
    MKSGR said:

Hehe, no doubt, they have already lost you as a buyer for the 997TT, but the majority of the population are still snapping them up despite the so called 'disappointment'. Kinda sucks that the minority opinion cannot sway the majority. Reality sucks big time, Porsche deemed the 997TT is good enough for the masses and the masses are rewarding Porsche for it's efforts in making the car appealed to them by buying it in almost record pace.

Reasons I do not consider buying the GT2 is that 1st it does not have awd, major no no from where I live, secondly it does not have tip, another must for the traffic. If they make a GT2 with awd and tip or at least pdk, I will probably be all over the list trying to get the first car here.

But I have been reading that you are still planning to get a 599? I'd say go for it, that's one Ferrari that I too am considering buying, but I just hate the 'wait list' here. I am anal on waiting for a car just as you are with SA times

But there are more to a car than just ring times, I don't see you as a racer, so ring times are just for bench racing and bragging rights among friends, ie:

'Did you know my car can do the ring 3 seconds faster than yours in the hands of HvS?'

Big deal, if you ask me, that's HIS times and maybe if you are the one driving, you might ended up being 2 seconds slower.

If you are a real racer, then maybe the GT3 Cup car or even the GT3 RSR is more suited for the purpose? Pure race car with no street compromises. Fast enough for you?

But you do drive the cars on the street and only the first 4/10 of a car matters, one can never utilized the top end of the cars outside of a track, and even on a track, a skilled driver almost certainly will be faster in a slower car than a less skilled driver in a faster car, so for track duties, improving the personal skills is more important than getting a faster car.

Cheers mate, don't get so stuck-up on ring times

Quote:
    Crash said:

Is that buttered? Wanna share some with me?

Quote:
    MKSGR said:

What are you writing about my friend? WR never confirmed a 7:34 in AB... That is my point: you guys try to participate in a discussion without having a reasonable information basis at all. It is not enough to repeat wrong statements again and again. There are two ways for you to go: either get informed (which requires *reading* test reports, driving and discussing with well informed :-) Rennteamers) or focus on reading posts (of well informed Rennteamers ).

Markus I answer with your words:
    BTW: Please discontinue repeating stuff like "WR never confirmed a 7:34 in AB". We are not in the Kindergarten here and the patience of the uninformed Rennteam community should not be tested beyond a certain limit The quality of this board suffers if such unfounded and unqualified statements are posted again and again.
    There are two ways for you to go: either get informed (which requires *reading* test reports like Autobild, driving and discussing with uninformed :-) Rennteamers) or focus on reading posts (of uninformed Rennteamers )

PS I've posted this because I've been waiting for an answer to your wrong claim that the time is not proofed.

Quote:
    haudimal said:
    an other Supertest fact:

Hockenheim

Kind of funny, that in Hockenheim the 997TT is about 3 sec faster and on a track 6 times longer only 4 sec faster.

Is the 996 Turbo Hockenheim time with X73 suspension? My guess is that it isn't.

Why is this important? If any 997 Turbo lap time is achieved with the best suspension setting available, then the only valid comparison with the 996 Turbo would be one with the X73 suspension installed on the 996 Turbo. It then becomes a "best suspension" versus "best suspension" comparison.

I have never seen any NBR lap times (neither the small track or the big track) for a 996 Turbo with X73. I've never seen any NBR lap times for an X50 optioned 996 Turbo, and I've never seen any NBR lap times for a X73/X50 optioned 996 Turbo....I wonder why?

Kreso, when can we expect some full tests of the 997 GT2 with all the figures ?

I won't speak for him but he mentionned a jan issue of SA...

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

Hehe, no doubt, they have already lost you as a buyer for the 997TT, but the majority of the population are still snapping them up despite the so called 'disappointment'. Kinda sucks that the minority opinion cannot sway the majority. Reality sucks big time, Porsche deemed the 997TT is good enough for the masses and the masses are rewarding Porsche for it's efforts in making the car appealed to them by buying it in almost record pace.

Fully agree. The masses have other demand than the opionion leaders

BTW: you might be surprised that I have no personel interest in Porsche's financial success (thus, no short-selling of their shares etc.). Therefore, I am delighted by their financial success and congatulate them for selling their cars as they are

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Quote:
    VGA18 said:

Nice gremlin

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:

But there are more to a car than just ring times, I don't see you as a racer, so ring times are just for bench racing and bragging rights among friends, ie:

'Did you know my car can do the ring 3 seconds faster than yours in the hands of HvS?'

Big deal, if you ask me, that's HIS times and maybe if you are the one driving, you might ended up being 2 seconds slower.

If you are a real racer, then maybe the GT3 Cup car or even the GT3 RSR is more suited for the purpose? Pure race car with no street compromises. Fast enough for you?

But you do drive the cars on the street and only the first 4/10 of a car matters, one can never utilized the top end of the cars outside of a track, and even on a track, a skilled driver almost certainly will be faster in a slower car than a less skilled driver in a faster car, so for track duties, improving the personal skills is more important than getting a faster car.

Cheers mate, don't get so stuck-up on ring times

Well, agreed. Ring times are not too important in real life (track events excluded). Personally, I see them more as a benchmark for the engineering efforts that have been invested into a car. And I would be most happy if the OEMs focus as much as they could to make cars faster also on the tracks.

Of course, a car may be fun and excellent while at the same time be only 2nd best on certain tracks. It is just that (apart from acceleration data, top-speed, stopping distances etc.) the lap times are interesting indicators of a car's performance

Quote:
    turbosteff said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

What are you writing about my friend? WR never confirmed a 7:34 in AB... That is my point: you guys try to participate in a discussion without having a reasonable information basis at all. It is not enough to repeat wrong statements again and again. There are two ways for you to go: either get informed (which requires *reading* test reports, driving and discussing with well informed :-) Rennteamers) or focus on reading posts (of well informed Rennteamers ).

Markus I answer with your words:
    BTW: Please discontinue repeating stuff like "WR never confirmed a 7:34 in AB". We are not in the Kindergarten here and the patience of the uninformed Rennteam community should not be tested beyond a certain limit The quality of this board suffers if such unfounded and unqualified statements are posted again and again.
    There are two ways for you to go: either get informed (which requires *reading* test reports like Autobild, driving and discussing with uninformed :-) Rennteamers) or focus on reading posts (of uninformed Rennteamers )

PS I've posted this because I've been waiting for an answer to your wrong claim that the time is not proofed.

Have you lost your eye sight very recently Just go through the above posts, you will find my answer to your previous post very easily. The answer explains why your posts are BS (to use your terminology).

You confused the lap times quoted in AB (which is no wonder as I am quite sure you neither have a copy of the AB nor of most other articles we are discussing here ). Open your eyes, do some reading and refrain from posting stuff like the above. You should at least be able to read carefully what has been written before posting nonsense.

Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Quote:
    haudimal said:
    an other Supertest fact:

Hockenheim

Is the 996 Turbo Hockenheim time with X73 suspension? My guess is that it isn't.

Why is this important? If any 997 Turbo lap time is achieved with the best suspension setting available, then the only valid comparison with the 996 Turbo would be one with the X73 suspension installed on the 996 Turbo. It then becomes a "best suspension" versus "best suspension" comparison.

I have never seen any NBR lap times (neither the small track or the big track) for a 996 Turbo with X73. I've never seen any NBR lap times for an X50 optioned 996 Turbo, and I've never seen any NBR lap times for a X73/X50 optioned 996 Turbo....I wonder why?

Indeed, the 996TT time was achieved without x73, without LSD, with just 420hp and standard tires of the year 2000... Same applies to the 996TT NBR time...

Quote:
    mv said:
    Kreso, when can we expect some full tests of the 997 GT2 with all the figures ?

GT2 test in AMS and AZ will be published this year(hopefully till mid November).

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    I won't speak for him but he mentionned a jan issue of SA...

Thanks! True Jan or Feb Issue of SA-Supertest of course...

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Is that buttered? Wanna share some with me?

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Quote:
    VGA18 said:

Nice gremlin

Want some?

turbosteff, I have the Auto Bild in question and there is definitely no 7:34 time mentioned in there. There is a 7:xx though .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Quote:
    VGA18 said:

Nice gremlin

Want some?

Can you also offer other some other snacks

Quote:
    MKSGR said:

You confused the lap times quoted in AB (which is no wonder as I am quite sure you neither have a copy of the AB nor of most other articles we are discussing here ). Open your eyes, do some reading and refrain from posting stuff like the above. You should at least be able to read carefully what has been written before posting nonsense.

Dear Markus the title is of this thread is Autobild-Walter-Rohrl-997 GT2. So we should refer to this article. You posteed in this thread that the time is not proofed. You ignore the article in AB. You was happy like a child that I made the mistake with the lap times. But again you gave not a clear answer to my post. The only answer would be "yes I was wrong and the time is proofed" That's fact.
    PS: Don't imply that I use the word BS (you use this word very often) in my posts. As I told you in the Pizzeria I sometimes don't like your style of posting like you did with whoopsy. This is impolite and the opposite of being open minded.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776957 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441614 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262738 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260885 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85147 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5538 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880593 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815781 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM