Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Losing my mind...

I know you are going to think I am a total raving lunatic, but with a month to go before my new Turbo goes into production, I can't help feeling that Cobalt blue may not be the perfect colour for me.

...perhaps I just have cold feet, perhaps I just need a sounding-board to vent, I don't know...

After all my deliberation I based my 'final' decision based on the colours that I HAD seen on a Turbo - namely, Black, Basalt, GT Silver, Olive Green, White and Cobalt. Cobalt is a solid choice given I just had Black so want a change, GT Silver and Olive are a thousand pounds more and potentially a longer wait, and White was gorgeous but a bit too in your face for me. Cobalt is a solid choice there is no doubt.

I was told by my OPC that if I went with a non-popular colour outside of black or silver then I would be hit for a few thousand come resale. In the end though I decided that being happy with the colour I chose was more important than resale in a few years time, so I ignored them.

However, upon recently selling my black C2S Cab back to an OPC I have discovered that had the car not been black I could have lost MUCH more than I already did on the trade-in. This is info I gleamed from talking to a lot of dealer, not just OPCs.

So this got me thinking....

THEN, I saw my first Arctic Silver Turbo at my OPC a few weeks ago, and it looked gorgeous! I know silver Porsches are common place, but I have noticed that when they are NOT sitting next to 50 other silver Porsches, the colour starts to make a whole lot more sense. But I thought, too late now to change without a lot of hassle, so I put it out of my mind.

This week though I have been looking more closely at how much this 'upgrade' is actually costing me and it's made me think that perhaps this will be my last indulgence before kids etc. So, if I were to keep the Turbo long-term, would I tire of Cobalt and would it start to look dated?! ...and I am coming to the conclusion that Silver or Black would definitely age better. I look at my 5 year old Audi S3 in black and it looks as awesome today as when I bought it.

So, to the point:

1) Is it too late to change my order to Arctic Silver should I wish to (Nov build)?
    2) IF I do, what do you think of having painted front grill? It looks amazing on white, but I have never seen it in arctic, although the below 'exclusive' pic in GT Silver looks perfect!
    3) Am I just going mad, and should stop finding ways to distract me from the never-ending wait?!

Please help me regain my sanity!

Re: Losing my mind...

Alex,

Hang in there, you're going to love Cobalt Blue. I would advise you NOT to change your order especially with only a month left to go before your production. I initially had GT silver ordered but like yourself I was indecisive about the color so I changed it to Cobalt blue. That was around June with an August build date. Well, wouldn't you have guessed it, my production date DID get bumped to October. That definitely did not make me very happy but in the end it was built in Sept. So, my point to you is, hang in there, Alex, stick with Cobalt blue unless you're absolutely sure that you want your production bumped in order to satisfy your color desires. Besides, I was absolutely sure I wanted GT Silver until I saw it in person. I wasn't too impressed but however I liked Arctic Silver better. My advice to you would be to STICK with your order as is. Don't change anything especially if you want your November build to go through.

Stick with Cobalt Blue, you'll love it..it's something special.

I personally don't think having painted grille looks good on a Cobalt.

I am with Jason, stick with Cobalt

Cobalt specially on a convertible will be a stunner. Just look at Atomic's pictures....

Don't bring another silver 911 into this world...

If it makes you feel any better, I have arctic silver on my boxster and I want cobalt blue for my next Porsche (assuming it's not a premium $3k color option).

David

Cobalt Blue is an amazing color. I've seen a few recently in real life for the first time and I must say that it's probably the prettiest color I've ever seen on a Porsche. Granted this is obviously a personal opinion.

Cobalt is a beautiful color on the TT but so is silver (GT or Arctic). I would go with the silver. Silver is timeless, classic, looks great and easy to maintain. But go with your heart, it will be your car.

Ditto on keeping keeping the Cobalt. I live in Southern California but am in Kent once every 8 weeks and I never see anything like that color on any car! You have selected the right color my friend. I have a white TT on order, but evey few days I think I should switch to Cobalt.

I also agree that the painted grills are not advisable - I left mine black but opted for white painted rockers and lips. If you have not ordered these parts in Cobalt, you might want to take a second look.

Silver, albiet a bit boring and commonplace, is still the best colour to show off the lines of a car.

Maybe go for a silver variant, darker/etc

midnight blueor meteor

I also have an Oct built Turbo Cab in order, white, cocoa top, natural brown, with CF options. Hopefully I will get it before Thanksgiving. IMO, color is such a personal thing and I don't think anyone can really help you to choose a color.

Cobalt over Artic any day! I would be worried about resale when I picked brown or green, but cobalt is not going to affect it. I would pay extra for Cobalt over Silver!

Go with your heart, not with your head. Stick with Cobalt, it's superb. You poms have enough more than enough grey hues in the weather (just kidding). I suspect it might be too late to change anyway. I tried to change a couple of options 2 months before build and was told not possible. My meteor TT is now on the ship. YAY!

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Hang in there, you're going to love Cobalt Blue. I would advise you NOT to change your order especially with only a month left to go before your production. I initially had GT silver ordered but like yourself I was indecisive about the color so I changed it to Cobalt blue. That was around June with an August build date. Well, wouldn't you have guessed it, my production date DID get bumped to October. That definitely did not make me very happy but in the end it was built in Sept. So, my point to you is, hang in there, Alex, stick with Cobalt blue unless you're absolutely sure that you want your production bumped in order to satisfy your color desires. Besides, I was absolutely sure I wanted GT Silver until I saw it in person. I wasn't too impressed but however I liked Arctic Silver better. My advice to you would be to STICK with your order as is. Don't change anything especially if you want your November build to go through.

Thanks Jason. What you say about build slots being bumped is highly pertinent.

Yes, as I say Cobalt does indeed look good and I am sure I will love the car when it eventually arrives. I guess I would be just gambling on Arctic with painted grilles as I have never seen it before. Might look tacky. I agree that it certainly doesn't look right on a cobalt car.

I guess I am indeed just getting itchy feet. After a good nights sleep I am thinking more clearly and cobalt is back to #1. I can't however say that this indecision won't happen again before Nov/Dec. I think it is amplified by the fact that I am Porscheless right now having had to part with my Cab earlier than previously planned.

Quote:
    BjoernB said:
    Cobalt specially on a convertible will be a stunner. Just look at Atomic's pictures....

Actually, I have a coupe on order. The cab pic was just for illustrating the 'exclusive' painted grilles

Quote:
    AK997TT said:
    Cobalt is a beautiful color on the TT but so is silver (GT or Arctic). I would go with the silver. Silver is timeless, classic, looks great and easy to maintain. But go with your heart, it will be your car.

Yes, this is what prompted the indecision. Classic AND it looks good.

I have never owned a silver car, so would be something different for me even if it would be rather run of the mill for everyone else.

As I said above though, although Arctic is more of a classic colour (with good reason), I think Cobalt is a more special colour. My only hope is that I still feel that way 5 years down the line...

Quote:
    dkreidel said:
    Ditto on keeping keeping the Cobalt. I live in Southern California but am in Kent once every 8 weeks and I never see anything like that color on any car! You have selected the right color my friend. I have a white TT on order, but evey few days I think I should switch to Cobalt.

I also agree that the painted grills are not advisable - I left mine black but opted for white painted rockers and lips. If you have not ordered these parts in Cobalt, you might want to take a second look.

Going from S.California to Kent huh. Very glamorous!

Currently I think white is the only colour I have seen in person that painted grilles look great. If I were getting white I would have gone for the full painted grilles/lips package myself.

I have indeed ordered painted lower lip, side skirts and rear lower section on my Cobalt TT. I think it makes the car look lower and more aggressive.

Quote:
    racerx said:
    midnight blueor meteor

I started on midnight blue, but wasn't glittery enough for a metalic colour for me. Does still look good though...

Alex(UK), I went through the same phase of indecision as you are in the weeks leading up to production. The truth is that only you know which colour really does it for you. I would just listen to the little voice inside you (which is in danger of being drowned out )

I wouldn't choose a colour based on which will depreciate less. We don't measure beauty with a sliderule! Let your heart tell you which is best!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Alex(UK), I went through the same phase of indecision as you are in the weeks leading up to production. The truth is that only you know which colour really does it for you. I would just listen to the little voice inside you (which is in danger of being drowned out )

I wouldn't choose a colour based on which will depreciate less. We don't measure beauty with a sliderule! Let your heart tell you which is best!

Thanks Easy.

I agree that depreciation shouldn't be a factor when purchasing such heart driven decisions.

However, that was before it dawned on me that my Turbo 'upgrade' is costing me x2 that which I got back from my C2S Cab trade-in. Is a Turbo worth twice as much as a cherished C2S Cab with all the trimmings?! Perhaps, perhaps not.

I am not sure I would make the same decision again if given the chance, and as such I would want to minimize future impact now in order to maximize the chance of me actually getting another supercar one day.

This alone wouldn't prompt me to change colours though.

The deciding factor would always be personal preference. I just fluctuate between cobalt, arctic and black (even though I overdosed with this colour I think black is indeed best suited to the Turbo) as being the colour of choice, even now. The depreciation issue is just a catalyst to start the questioning...

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    I personally don't think having painted grille looks good on a Cobalt.

Here are some GT Silver grilles painted. I think this only works with Silver and White cars myself.

Alex have you seen a Turbo in Atlas grey in the flesh?I had a 997 gt3 in gt silver until recently,but when i saw a Turbo in Atlas at my opc one day it looked awesome and just suits the Turbo better than any other 997

Quote:
    robbo said:
    Alex have you seen a Turbo in Atlas grey in the flesh?I had a 997 gt3 in gt silver until recently,but when i saw a Turbo in Atlas at my opc one day it looked awesome and just suits the Turbo better than any other 997

I took these the other day...

Atlas was certainly on the list, but again it's a special colour for MY08 so is a 1000 pounds more plus a longer build wait.

Yep looks awesome Alex ,great pics , Atlas for me no doubt about it

Alex. I have a cobalt coupe. This was my first supercar and getting myself to mentally commit to buying something so expensive was very difficult, I was expecting to pay extra for cobalt but to my pleasant surprise was told it is no longer an extra when I gave my deposit. Money was and is very important for me but in the end i thought this is the first real treat for myself having worked hard for many years and I will make the decision on the colour i like best which happened to be cobalt. My advice is go with the colour you like best, yes money is important but dont forget why you are buying the car for me it was a treat having worked my socks off for the last 10 years

Adam, we seem to have a lot in common

Part 1 of my treat to myself for many consecutive years of 100+ hrs working weeks was my C2S Cab.

Part 2 is the 'upgrade' to the Turbo.

Part 3 if it ever happens is going to take me a looooong time to save up for again.

Alex, you live in london right? GT silver all the way with black or cocoa interior. Cobalt is nice but for the uk it will command too much of a discount when you decide to flip it. Personally I got a GT silver and everytime I look at it, I remember why I chose this colour.. I personally find it truly stunning, especially with pccbs and painted rockers etc.. But then again this is my personal opinion after 2 993tts in blue, black and a 996tt arctic.

Good luck with your choice!

Quote:
    GT said:
    Alex, you live in london right? GT silver all the way with black or cocoa interior. Cobalt is nice but for the uk it will command too much of a discount when you decide to flip it. Personally I got a GT silver and everytime I look at it, I remember why I chose this colour.. I personally find it truly stunning, especially with pccbs and painted rockers etc.. But then again this is my personal opinion after 2 993tts in blue, black and a 996tt arctic.

Good luck with your choice!

Moved out of London a few years back now and headed a few miles west actually. But yes, your analogy still stands as car still presented under UK skies.

Thanks

Impossible to tell you which color you will like better because it's such a personal decision. I would agree you should get the color that YOU like best & put aside re-sale. re-sale is something you have no control of & anything could happen down the road both positive & potentially negative to affect re-sale so trying to outsmart it isn't a good idea imo. Plus what happens on the outside chance you decide to keep the car?

However, getting the color that you like best will always be a good bet. No matter if you decide to trade the car in down the road or sell it entirely you're going to spend money, the difference in the amount you're going to spend on the same car in two different colors is negligbile....... But I know exactly what you're going through I just had the same delima and it seemed the more I thought about it trying to make a decsion the more I couldn't come to a final conclusion, it's like you forget what your original thoughts were on the colors in the first place. When/If that happens imo it's best to go with your first choice, go w/ the color you initally picked usually first impressions & judgements on this are correct. Good luck!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    754694 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431363 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258821 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255782 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79794 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5262 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868784 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802662 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM