Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Do you feel cheated???

Now that Porsche is adding a four doors sports/coupe/sedan to a line which includes entry-level coupes and cabs. (Boxster & Cayman), and a range of 4x4s (including a six cylinder model with a platform shared with VW), do you feel cheated owning a 911 and having paid $$$ for it???

Re: Do you feel cheated???

No, but there are a lot of "buts" to go with that. I can see where you are heading.

The opposite of this is Ferrari saying that they will never feel the need to build an SUV, have diesel engines, etc.

When I drive the GT3, I feel every cent is well-spent, but then I see a Cayenne on the street and think to myself that even if all of us Porsche owners (and Cayenne owners as well) appreciate the financial reasons for its existence, we sort of feel a legitimate melancholy sentiment for the era of comparably hand-built 964's and 993's. Owning a Porsche back then must have been different in this sense.

1st it was ok to introduce the boxster, and bring in the opposite sex, although nothing sweeter than the opposite sex in a carrera! then it was the 4x4s!!! then cayman!!! and now 4 doors!!!!!!! I wonder what the carrera GT owners are saying to themselves, having paid so much for a car, with the manufacturer pumping out almost 100,000 cars per year!!! guys, am I the only one feeling it? what's next, a mini SUV!!! a hot hatchback!!! OH GOD!!!

Quote:
    Marwan Arakji said:
    1st it was ok to introduce the boxster, and bring in the opposite sex, although nothing sweeter than the opposite sex in a carrera! then it was the 4x4s!!! then cayman!!! and now 4 doors!!!!!!! I wonder what the carrera GT owners are saying to themselves, having paid so much for a car, with the manufacturer pumping out almost 100,000 cars per year!!! guys, am I the only one feeling it? what's next, a mini SUV!!! a hot hatchback!!! OH GOD!!!

You're funny. But I agree with your comments.

well, i can't stand the number of porsches around here anymore... I though the carrera S cab. would do it for me... I'm a "Against All Odds" / "Miami Vice" generation, and it used to be Porsche, Ferrari, and Lambo... now I'm wondering what to switch over to

You can join us and get an AMV8

the AMV8 is a serious option, especially the new 400 bhp version... but I'm worried about reliability... how many miles you got on yours? how has it been so far?

I guess I don't feel cheated since Porsche needs to make the revenue and profit to survive if they want to continue to produce sports cars of a high quality. Yes, the increased numbers all of us see today are the result of enough folks being able to afford them. But the cars are definitely not cheap. In the U.S., I still see many more Chevrolet Corvettes than Porsches.

Jim

Just got it, but it is awsome.
    The new N400 only comes in three colors and only black inside apparently.

No! I got what I wanted and in the configuration I wanted. Isn't getting what you want the definition of consumer satisfaction?

You have to decide what you want. Do you want a company that only makes 911's and barely survives and probably by now would already be out of business, or a highly profitable company of diverse cars that has enought money to to go racing, as well as continue to make great cars, like the 911.

I'd like to see them work on decreasing the steep depreciation curve. Either that or charge less for the cars.

Other than that they seem to be doing what it is needed to survive.

I don't feel cheated because the 997 is still a fantastic sportscar and the one to beat. Every new sportscar is compared to the 911. There is a 911 for virtually every high end sportscar category, and it remains the most virsatile sportscar on the planet.

If Porsche stops improving its cars, so that they are no longer the benchmark, then I'll start to feel cheated, because that will be the day that it all goes down the tubes.

Quote:
    964C2 said:
    You have to decide what you want. Do you want a company that only makes 911's and barely survives and probably by now would already be out of business, or a highly profitable company of diverse cars that has enough money to go racing, as well as continue to make great cars, like the 911.

Exactly!

What do the other cars in the lineup have to do with mine?

Quote:
    964C2 said:
    You have to decide what you want. Do you want a company that only makes 911's and barely survives and probably by now would already be out of business, or a highly profitable company of diverse cars that has enought money to to go racing, as well as continue to make great cars, like the 911.

I agree with this. Porsche could build just the 911 and all its variants, and perhaps the Carrera GT, and be a more exclusive company like Ferrari, but then they would have to artificially overprice their cars like Ferrari by limiting supply to survive. Better they make cars like the Cayenne and upcoming 4-door to add to their bottomline so they can still produce world-class outstanding sports cars like the 911 at a reasonable price!

David

Quote:
    connoisseur said:
    No! I got what I wanted and in the configuration I wanted. Isn't getting what you want the definition of consumer satisfaction?

Right.

I had a 997s, traded it in for a TT. The trade in on the 997s AND about us$70k got me 120more hp (and some cool technology and options).

Cheated? If you have the money you pay what it costs to get what you want.

Nobody said to me, "Lemme cheat you and you can have 100+ more hp."

How about these guys who "haggle" over cars in the lots? Or guys who buy a used car with 2000 miles? Do the deals they get make the rest of us look like we got cheated?

Then the part when the Boxster came out, some Carrera owners got really pissed because the Boxster _LOOKED_ too much like theirs!! I really enjoyed thinking of guys who think that way were suffering!!

It's the magic number guys, 928. Its was porsche, ferrari, lambo in the 80's. Because of quality, performance, and design.

They have had entry level cars for a long long time. The 944 was a very good car, just like the cayman.boxster.

What's missing is a class leading, capable, super coupe. I say it alot and some would like to dismiss it, but the 928 created a great part of the porsche brand that we all know today with help from the 930.

It's a great car. I could care less if they made bicycles (which they do)!

dont worry. when the next global finanical crisis happened, you will see more porsches in the dealer lot than on the street

x2

I think that by enlarging there product line, Porsche isn't what it used to be. I agree that in order to survive, yes, "A" car manufacturer is supposed to have a large line up and be able to acquire a big market share. But the dilemma lies here... Do you want to be just other "massive production" company? If yes, then I think that Porsche has succeeded doing so!

But hey............................................the spirit............................IS................GONE................

I remember when I was a teenager in the 80's and Porsche was 924/944, 911, and 928. All sports car related. Now it's Boxster, 911, Cayenne, and Panamera. Not sports car related, necessarily, but SUV and sport sedan and coupe. Pretty soon, Mercedes and Porsche will be identical.

Quote:
    racerx said:
    What's missing is a class leading, capable, super coupe. I say it alot and some would like to dismiss it, but the 928 created a great part of the porsche brand that we all know today with help from the 930.

For all intents and purposes, the 996 replaced both the 911 and the 928.

I do not feel cheated at all. As others mentioned they need to survive.

Many auto makers are offering 4x4 and 4-doors sedan, why porsche could not?

Also, in general the cars that porsche offers are better than the competition , therefore, I say to porsche: bring it on! And any other models for that matters. I'll make my own judgement.

Porsche is playing the same game than any other car makers, this game means depreciation for us, but what the heck cars never has been an investment, except very limited series.

How can someone feel cheated ( ) by buying the car HE CHOSE to buy, this is beyond me.

For the ones who feel cheated: did someone black mailed or threathened you to buy car?

When you buy a cayenne is it the same as a 911 or panamera? surely not. So, why buy it in the first place?????

Who cares about exclusivity, I surely do not. I actually prefer more porsche around so when I drive my 997 turbo I would i would even feel more ingnito!

I don't feel cheated at all by the fact that PAG has brought out other types of cars. The way it has been done hasn't diluted the brand to an extent where I feel that PAG is no longer a maker of performance cars. It's a subjective reaction at the end of the day.

I actually think the 'feeling cheated' phenomenon will show itself more when (not if) PAG has to adjust to the new environmental targets that the EU is imposing. How? Well, the new rules will force manufacturers to lower the average emissions their cars produce. This will inevitably lead to PAG changing from being a producer of some sports cars and high performance versions of other car types to a producer of cars whose design mandate is no longer high performance but instead environmental friendliness. That really will compromise the line up IMO to an extent that will dilute the brand. I believe that averaging the emissions across the combined VW/PAG range may not be allowed (NB: there's a big unresolved argument about whether you average emissions across one affiliate only or across affiliates under common control), or if allowed, then not enough to enable the whole group of companies to comply with these crazy rules.

The other major problem (which we hardly ever discuss) is THE big question: what happens when it is no longer cost effective to extract crude oil? Fuel prices will rise manifold and will we all be driving hydrogen cell cars? Enjoy the PSE while you can is what I say

I don't feel cheated, yet. I'm hoping they bring out Porsche watercraft pretty soon

Cheated by what?

I bought a sports car from a company that also sells SUV's. If I had bought an R8, M6, Corvette, or SL it would have been the same response. And remember Porsche made tractors in the early days, and Lamborghini used to make tractors and air conditioning units...

What's the big deal???

What's crazy? This may settle the argument.

The Carrera GT was "universally" hailed as a _BARGAIN_. Instead of being us$450K (?) "they" say it should have been around a million usd.

How can a supercar (by definition) be priced so low if Porsche is out to cheat their customers?

Quote:
    964C2 said:

I'd like a car manufactured by a company with financials means, yet exclusive: Lamborghini! exclusive, yet owned by VW!!! and soon to be owned by Porsche

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM