Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Mission E...the future of Porsche?

I just drove today for the first time our new XC60 T8!

What a car - the hybrid works fine but the best is just driving pure electrical. For city driving the best way.

--

AM

Lars997:

I just cancelled my Tesla 3 reservation. 

Why - simply since March 2016 there was single communication. No status update, nothing. My delivery time was going upwards months by months. Now it was saying end of 2018. Last not least - while I like the exterior of the Model 3 I don't like the interior at all, looks super cheap. 

What do you expect?

I've been first in line for the Mission-E since over a year back at a local dealership. Haven't herd a zip from the dealership since and don't expect to hear anything before the car is available to configure in 2019/2020.

And AFAIK there have never been any info about EU deliveries prior to "late 2018". Ever since that delivery estimator went online some months ago it has said late 2018 for all European deliveries independent if you're an owner of X/S or was first in line putting down a small sum for deposit on april 1st 2016 that is refundable just one click away.

lukestern:
    Lars997:

Why - simply since March 2016 there was single communication. No status update, nothing. My delivery time was going upwards months by months. Now it was saying end of 2018. Last not least - while I like the exterior of the Model 3 I don't like the interior at all, looks super cheap. 

What do you expect?

I've been first in line for the Mission-E since over a year back at a local dealership. Haven't herd a zip from the dealership since and don't expect to hear anything before the car is available to configure in 2019/2020.

And AFAIK there have never been any info about EU deliveries prior to "late 2018". Ever since that delivery estimator went online some months ago it has said late 2018 for all European deliveries independent if you're an owner of X/S or was first in line putting down a small sum for deposit on april 1st 2016 that is refundable just one click away.

OK - situation is different.

1. You didnt put money down for the Mission E. Just telling your dealer that you want one is a different story then officially "order" one at Tesla. And first in line, sounds a bit weird hence you can't order that car yet. 

2. The Tesla 3 is launched and they are getting delivered. So - why not making some marketing around that. Sure reason - they want to avoid that people call them and ask them for their own car. But hey - people are not stupid and they now about anyway, so why not just playing this more pragmatic.

3. I remember that my dealer told me that the car will be ready to be delivered end 2017/beginning 2018. So - but again, thats probably the same sales person which sold a Mission E to you Smiley

Regarding the refund. This will hopefully be processed at one time. But many people complain that they had to wait for months and Tesla didnt pay back (that was going through the press everywhere in Germany and the Forums are full of those stories, too).  But - not my point, I couldn't care less for that 1k.

That's too bad Lars.  Got fooled by a company that has high expectation of itself but could not deliver.

In my job as a physician, I never promise my patients anything that I cannot deliver.

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Lars997:
    lukestern:
    Lars997:

What do you expect?

1. You didnt put money down for the Mission E. Just telling your dealer that you want one is a different story then officially "order" one at Tesla. And first in line, sounds a bit weird hence you can't order that car yet. 

2. The Tesla 3 is launched and they are getting delivered. So - why not making some marketing around that. Sure reason - they want to avoid that people call them and ask them for their own car. But hey - people are not stupid and they now about anyway, so why not just playing this more pragmatic.

3. I remember that my dealer told me that the car will be ready to be delivered end 2017/beginning 2018. So - but again, thats probably the same sales person which sold a Mission E to you Smiley

Regarding the refund. This will hopefully be processed at one time. But many people complain that they had to wait for months and Tesla didnt pay back (that was going through the press everywhere in Germany and the Forums are full of those stories, too).  But - not my point, I couldn't care less for that 1k.

I cancelled my Model 3 reservation a while back. Don't want to wait 10 years for a car. Took Tesla maybe 8 weeks to send me back a cheque.

--

Whoopsy:

Took Tesla maybe 8 weeks to send me back a cheque.

YES, dinner on Nick Smiley

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Whoopsy:
    Lars997:
    lukestern:
    Lars997:

What do you expect?

I cancelled my Model 3 reservation a while back. Don't want to wait 10 years for a car. Took Tesla maybe 8 weeks to send me back a cheque.

Well, I hope you're not waiting for a Mission E then.

Just an FYI: The Model 3 was revealed in March 2016. The Mission E in 2015. So technically people have been waiting longer for the E than the 3.

noone1:
    Whoopsy:
    Lars997:
    lukestern:
    Lars997:

What do you expect?

Just an FYI: The Model 3 was revealed in March 2016. The Mission E in 2015. So technically people have been waiting longer for the E than the 3.

Why? Porsche didn't take my money and disappeared and not heard from.

Heck, Porsche hasn't even ASK for money yet.

--

FWIW I can get 400+ miles out of my 997 Turbo on the highway. (24 mpg * 17 gallons). Not in the city. Maybe half that. Lol. 

Trump bashing in Europe. Lol. It has my dad sucked in and he was occupied by the Russians for nine years after ww2. He should know better. To me it is funny. Trump deraingment syndrome. 

Whoopsy:
    noone1:
    Whoopsy:
    Lars997:
    lukestern:
    Lars997:

What do you expect?

Why? Porsche didn't take my money and disappeared and not heard from.

Heck, Porsche hasn't even ASK for money yet.

Tesla deposits are all refundable and they were a measly $1000. 

lukestern:
    RC:
    Also, the Tesla 3 won't change anything in Europe, Elon Musk doesn't know Europeans, especially since the vibe and sympathy for US products has certainly declined since the NSA affair and Trump's election (actually, there isn't one day going by without some German news reporter mocking or making fun (of) Trump. Even worse than in the US, believe it or not. 

You should stop immediately buying Apple products RC! You can't buy something that is developed in Trump land next door to Tesla Smiley

I have no issues or beef with Trump and/or the NSA, unlike others. Smiley

Every Model 3 Tesla can ship to Europe will be sold. There is simply no competition in 5 years in that price bracket with similar specs, range charging infrastructure and convenience. Tesla is associated with a complete different set of values  compared with traditional American Detroit car manufacturers. Lot of Europeans will put Tesla way above VW or any of the other german alternatives.

I doubt it but time will tell. I know what VW Group is preparing in the ELV sector and if everything happens as it should, Tesla is done. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

In Europe, best seller in EV cars at the moment is Renault ZOE, 70 to 90hp...17.7K Euros... this is half of Tesla 3. Good luck!smiley

--

GT Lover

Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 on order

991 GT3 2014(sold)

CAYENNE GTS 2014

the-missile:

In Europe, best seller in EV cars at the moment is Renault ZOE, 70 to 90hp...17.7K Euros... this is half of Tesla 3. Good luck!smiley

Another "risk" Tesla has is the exchange rate.

Tesla is "cool" now because there are the S and the X, which are considered luxury cars in Germany.

It won't be "cool" anymore once they sell "bread and butter" cars like the model 3.

This is where other manufacturers come in and steal the cake.

Ask any German (or European): Would you buy a US car over a German car? I know how this sounds but this is a fact.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

same for us in France...

Luxury car market has well established brands.

Tesla X and S models are in this category as there is no proper competitor for the price they advertise.

Put them in the category of model 3, audi A4, C-class and all those premium brand and they will be kicked badly.angry

put them in the category just lower where they usually compete (american cars) and the price is off.. end of the game

the premium and regular car manufacturer will make sure competitors are proposed in the coming years.

--

GT Lover

Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 on order

991 GT3 2014(sold)

CAYENNE GTS 2014

Don't underestimate the fact that it's an EV and those other ones aren't.

there are already many EV cars available in Europe at the moment from many low level brands...and far cheaper.

on top of that, premium cars German manufacturer will not let Tesla alone for long...

--

GT Lover

Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 on order

991 GT3 2014(sold)

CAYENNE GTS 2014

noone1:

Soon...very soon. 

Also, cost is a major factor in Europe. Ordinary people won't buy an ELV, unless it costs the same as a regular car.

If Diesel subsidiaries in Germany are scratched, if the government starts to subsidy ELVs more than they do now, if electricity for ELVs will be/stay cheap, I could see a shift to ELVs. Right now? Not happening.

It will happen when VW Group and other German companies are "ready" to attack. In the end, the German government will try to support this ELV "initiative" but not now. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    noone1:

Soon...very soon. 

Also, cost is a major factor in Europe. Ordinary people won't buy an ELV, unless it costs the same as a regular car.

If Diesel subsidiaries in Germany are scratched, if the government starts to subsidy ELVs more than they do now, if electricity for ELVs will be/stay cheap, I could see a shift to ELVs. Right now? Not happening.

It will happen when VW Group and other German companies are "ready" to attack. In the end, the German government will try to support this ELV "initiative" but not now. Smiley Smiley

--

You assume they won't move down market a little. You buy and R8 because you want such a class car, but can't afford a Lamborghini or whatever.

There are plenty of people in Europe buying cars way more expensive than a Model 3. Tons of 50K+ cars in Europe. These people may simply move down a little in order to have the features of an EV, just like you did you have features of a mid-engine exotic.

Also, the technology is making new lower end cars better than older higher-end cars. Anyone here have a Bentley? Can you remote start with LTE from your phone? I'd take a new $45K car over a 2015 Rolls Royce.

I would rather have a Bentley over this electric crap, there are some people who like old school

noone1:
    RC:
    noone1:

Soon...very soon. 

--

You assume they won't move down market a little. You buy and R8 because you want such a class car, but can't afford a Lamborghini or whatever.

There are plenty of people in Europe buying cars way more expensive than a Model 3. Tons of 50K+ cars in Europe. These people may simply move down a little in order to have the features of an EV, just like you did you have features of a mid-engine exotic.

Also, the technology is making new lower end cars better than older higher-end cars. Anyone here have a Bentley? Can you remote start with LTE from your phone? I'd take a new $45K car over a 2015 Rolls Royce.

Hmm, for what reason that's needed? I have remote start on my Odyssey and I never used it once.

25 years ago it was cool to have a remote starter installed together with alarm and 2000W stereo in a Civic for Sound Offs. Don't think that's the case anymore.

Right now I have an app from Porsche that I can remote sound the horn, flash the lights and lock doors and fold mirrors, that's good enough for me to scare and harass the foreman whenever my car is in the shop for service. Now that's way more fun than a remote starter. 

--

Upsa:

I would rather have a Bentley over this electric crap, there are some people who like old school

Smiley Smiley

--

Whoopsy:
    noone1:
    RC:
    noone1:

Soon...very soon. 

--

Hmm, for what reason that's needed? I have remote start on my Odyssey and I never used it once.

25 years ago it was cool to have a remote starter installed together with alarm and 2000W stereo in a Civic for Sound Offs. Don't think that's the case anymore.

Right now I have an app from Porsche that I can remote sound the horn, flash the lights and lock doors and fold mirrors, that's good enough for me to scare and harass the foreman whenever my car is in the shop for service. Now that's way more fun than a remote starter. 

Have a similar function in my new 991.2 GTS Cab, fun to use but pretty much useless. Smiley

Remotely starting the engine? Not sure but I think this is prohibited on EU cars. What for actually? Maybe interesting if you're a mafia boss Smiley Smiley but other than that? Smiley

--

Whoopsy:
    noone1:
    RC:
    noone1:

Soon...very soon. 

--

Don't you live in BC? Remote (LTE) start is among the most useful things you can possibly have. You can start the car and get it warm from anywhere. In the restaurant and it's snowing? No problem, turn the defroster on and set the heat to 80F. Skiing? No problem. Activate it from the top of the mountain.

Oh, you're in a hot climate today? No worries, set the air 30 minutes before you arrive. The car will be nice and cool.

RC:
    Whoopsy:
    noone1:
    RC:
    noone1:

Soon...very soon. 

--

Have a similar function in my new 991.2 GTS Cab, fun to use but pretty much useless. Smiley

Remotely starting the engine? Not sure but I think this is prohibited on EU cars. What for actually? Maybe interesting if you're a mafia boss Smiley Smiley but other than that? Smiley

Next time you're brushing snow off your windows, scraping ice, and shivering in a freezing cold car, think about it again.

Upsa:

Are all parking lots in Dubai air conditioned?

Tesla will eventually have to find a partner to scale their EV business. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Chinese automotive firm given the size of that market.   2020 looks to be an exciting year for EV and Hybrid vehicle offerings from the automotive manufacturers. 

--

2016 Porsche 991 Carrera GTS  Black with AeroKit Cup Package,  2017 Porsche Cayenne Platinum  Purpurite Metallic, New York

Noone1 you do realize that most new cars come with remote start and not just electric ones. I have it on my LX570 and use sometimes the remote start when I'm in a hurry. In addition, the lexus enform technology suite comes with excellent features such as  vehicle locator, status alert if you forgot to lock the doors or close the windows, and best of all is the destination assist concierge.

AP911:

Noone1 you do realize that most new cars come with remote start and not just electric ones. I have it on my LX570 and use sometimes the remote start when I'm in a hurry. In addition, the lexus enform technology suite comes with excellent features such as  vehicle locator, status alert if you forgot to lock the doors or close the windows, and best of all is the destination assist concierge.

The point I was making is that there are often reasons to move down market because it's often the case that new, cheaper cars have technology that older, more expensive ones don't. It's entirely possible that there will be times when a new Tesla is just a straight up better and more advanced car than a similarly priced Mercedes that may be considered a level above it in terms of luxury.

You prove my point. Compare your LX570 to a Bentayga. Does it have stuff that the 250K Bentayga doesn't? I bet it does.

I understand your point but I think the people who buy Bentleys, RRs, MB S class, etc are less interested in the technology and more into the luxury features and status that those cars provide. Those who have the $$ and are interested in the tech will simply have both, but I bet that those make are a very small percentage. I would say tech enthusiasts, manly younger lads in their 20s, 30s and 40s, in addition to RC angry, are currently driving Audis and BMWs and would be more excited by the tech in Tesla but most of those cars cost less than the Tesla that they can pick up today.

coming into mission e thread daily and keep reading about Tesla, so strange...

I do not hate Tesla, but don't think I will buy one.

I want overall handling and performance in my cars, not just straight line acceleration.  Don't care much about technology.  If Tesla can offer handling that can match performance of my Porsches, then I may look at them.

--

Tim

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690674 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409889 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256093 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235343 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65724 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858555 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774834 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM