Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid - Most powerful Panamera (2017)

Lars997:
    alexalex88:
    Whoopsy:

I am here in Rome doing Porsche Racing Experience.

First couple days they were driving us in the Panamera Turbo between the track and hotel.

Last night I asked for them to put me in the Panamera Turbo S,

H O L Y S H I T

I thought the Panamera Turbo with 550 HP was amazing.

The e-Hybird Turbo S is........

Leaving me speechless. I simply don't have any adjective to describe it.

Perhaps explosive.

AND that's not even considering the weight of the whole car.

I have had experiences in Porsche race cars, in my 918 and in a 991.1 and .,2 Turbo S, but those were the only cars the offering better instantaneous acceleration G forces. Not even Teslas can match.

That 680HP is no joke.nor the 850Nm of torque.

Seriously, for those that think Tesla can do a better job in rolling acceleration. Bye bye Tesla. 

Cornering is also insane. The driver is a Porsche factory instructor, seriously, I never expected a 2.5 ton car can do what it did.

O. M. G. 

Seriously, even with the extreme driving, we had more electric charge when we arrived back at the hotel than when we left the track, and it was 40km away.

U N F U C K I N G B E L I E V A B L E.

No sedans currently available is close to matching it. 

It is that good!

Sorry @Farmer, your diesel just became obsolete. 

Who shall we trust, c&d review or Whoopsy's biased opinion? I'd rather go with our favourite P brand ambassador.

So - we all know about Whoopsy's experience and excellence. So if he is impressed it must be an impressive car. But I'm convinced that he keeps in mind driving a limousine and will not judge it compared to a sports car? 

I bolded out what I wrote Smiley

The big Panamera beast is no sports car, but among sedans/wagons it has no equal.

But I didn't like it enough to buy one, yet.

Still think it is one sizes too big. 

--

Have you tried the E63 S AMG 4matic? 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Whoopsy:
    Lars997:
    alexalex88:
    Whoopsy:

I am here in Rome doing Porsche Racing Experience.

First couple days they were driving us in the Panamera Turbo between the track and hotel.

Last night I asked for them to put me in the Panamera Turbo S,

H O L Y S H I T

I thought the Panamera Turbo with 550 HP was amazing.

The e-Hybird Turbo S is........

Leaving me speechless. I simply don't have any adjective to describe it.

Perhaps explosive.

AND that's not even considering the weight of the whole car.

I have had experiences in Porsche race cars, in my 918 and in a 991.1 and .,2 Turbo S, but those were the only cars the offering better instantaneous acceleration G forces. Not even Teslas can match.

That 680HP is no joke.nor the 850Nm of torque.

Seriously, for those that think Tesla can do a better job in rolling acceleration. Bye bye Tesla. 

Cornering is also insane. The driver is a Porsche factory instructor, seriously, I never expected a 2.5 ton car can do what it did.

O. M. G. 

Seriously, even with the extreme driving, we had more electric charge when we arrived back at the hotel than when we left the track, and it was 40km away.

U N F U C K I N G B E L I E V A B L E.

No sedans currently available is close to matching it. 

It is that good!

Sorry @Farmer, your diesel just became obsolete. 

Who shall we trust, c&d review or Whoopsy's biased opinion? I'd rather go with our favourite P brand ambassador.

So - we all know about Whoopsy's experience and excellence. So if he is impressed it must be an impressive car. But I'm convinced that he keeps in mind driving a limousine and will not judge it compared to a sports car? 

I bolded out what I wrote Smiley

The big Panamera beast is no sports car, but among sedans/wagons it has no equal.

But I didn't like it enough to buy one, yet.

Still think it is one sizes too big. 

What...??? Why not ? All members of the “burning boys track team” should have at least one....SmileyMyself, I just solved  my own “dieselgate” and will change my Panamera diesel for a Panamera Turbo S. With some luck, already on Friday, but no later than next week. 

Nothing wrong with the diesel, except of course, it is a diesel. The green politicians are treathening to ban even euro 6 within city limits so if I don’t want to go by buss or subway (which I don’t...Smiley) I better change. Will be my third PTSSmiley And I really hope it’s not anything but a great limousine, since my butt will get enough rough time in the GT2 RS, the GT3 or the Cup car.....

Thanks Whoopsy - I knew we are on the same page wink

RC:

Size-wise it's perfect for a sedan. Think it's like 5 inches shorter and about the same narrower. But it feels like a hooligan, like an American muscle car. All that power is not very controllable it seems. 

I liked the power, but hated the interior. That 2 giant screens is what bugs me the most. It's big, angular, ugly  and featureless. They are perfectly squared off, with no attempt to stylized them to make them less obnoxious. Exactly like the Tesla's giant touch screen, basically it just looks like someone ordered the cheapest LCD panels from China and just slap them on.

A car's dash is it's calling card, it's what a driver see the most inside the car. Like a watch face. Using a squared off LCD screen is like a plain white featureless watch face. Or someone may call it the 'wearable' digital watch. 

The dash on the the Aston, even with the tiny digital screen with words so small I cannot read them half the time, is like a nice skeleton-ed face with a boat loads of complications, a work of art, something that you know someone somewhere spent countless hours designing and perfecting.

No matter the brand, a mechanical watch screams expensive, (even if they are not), a digital watch screams cheap, (even if some are expensive), hell a quartz watch seems more expensive than a digital. Same with dash design. At least IMO.

--

Whoopsy:
    RC:

Size-wise it's perfect for a sedan. Think it's like 5 inches shorter and about the same narrower. But it feels like a hooligan, like an American muscle car. All that power is not very controllable it seems. 

With the right setting, it is quite controllable, thanks to the new 4matic drive.

I liked the power, but hated the interior. That 2 giant screens is what bugs me the most. It's big, angular, ugly  and featureless. They are perfectly squared off, with no attempt to stylized them to make them less obnoxious. Exactly like the Tesla's giant touch screen, basically it just looks like someone ordered the cheapest LCD panels from China and just slap them on.

I agree, Mercedes seems to look for a new design language in their interiors and in the process, it seems they are experimenting a bit too much for my taste. Tasteful, elegant or even sporty looks different, I agree.

A car's dash is it's calling card, it's what a driver see the most inside the car. Like a watch face. Using a squared off LCD screen is like a plain white featureless watch face. Or someone may call it the 'wearable' digital watch. 

The dash on the the Aston, even with the tiny digital screen with words so small I cannot read them half the time, is like a nice skeleton-ed face with a boat loads of complications, a work of art, something that you know someone somewhere spent countless hours designing and perfecting.

No matter the brand, a mechanical watch screams expensive, (even if they are not), a digital watch screams cheap, (even if some are expensive), hell a quartz watch seems more expensive than a digital. Same with dash design. At least IMO.

I agree but from a driver's point of view, the E63 S AMG 4matic is a pretty interesting "alternative" to the Panamera Turbo S, especially if you don't want to pay at least 60k more. Performance is basically the same.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Again - tastes!

I think Mercedes nails it with the E63. The interior looks stunning and can be styled to your personal liking. The new two display setup is just gorgeous. The only think I would change is that hideous controller instead of a touch scree, but other than that - amazing. The performance seats are excellent, too. If you like it comfortable take the standard seats. Lots of options with the leather - so for every taste the right thing available. 

The MB - 8 Zylinder always was and still is one of the best sounding engines. The latest versions are extremely fast. The E63S feels like a GTR with 4 doors. 

For me there is not much more than WOW and fascination for the new E63.

Lars997:

Again - tastes!

I think Mercedes nails it with the E63. The interior looks stunning and can be styled to your personal liking. The new two display setup is just gorgeous. The only think I would change is that hideous controller instead of a touch scree, but other than that - amazing. The performance seats are excellent, too. If you like it comfortable take the standard seats. Lots of options with the leather - so for every taste the right thing available. 

The MB - 8 Zylinder always was and still is one of the best sounding engines. The latest versions are extremely fast. The E63S feels like a GTR with 4 doors. 

For me there is not much more than WOW and fascination for the new E63.

From a price/value point of view, there is nothing better than the current E63, agreed. Not even the M5. Smiley

--

I dont like the newer MB interiors at all.

The new Mercedes interiors are too fucking shiny.

And the need to loose the stupid wheel and the round temp controls. Also I hate wasted screen real estate place and in the ML and GL we rented in the past, there is so much waste there and no customization possible...

01DFF211-498A-4E19-B569-E7748F4933B8.jpeg
    DD5F0FFE-7EFD-4B7C-B9EE-625D759327EE.jpeg
    CAD5A799-D6B4-457C-AF6F-256D2C7F081E.jpeg
    E63D8544-C326-4E88-A974-DBC5C3FBBEAC.jpeg
    8BF44AC5-1B37-4769-BC01-1B69AFE7AF75.jpeg
    C38A661D-948E-4347-8C2C-C13411599186.jpegThe new DD is herekiss 30 km in heavy traffic so far, so have to comeback with my review later on. Fourth Panamera and third Turbo S. GT silver, carbon and black leather. Had to try something new after three gray ones....smiley

Fabulous!  A splendid car in traditional Porsche trim.  Love the side skirts and the illuminated carbon door sills, among many other treatments.  Way to go!

kiss Mike!

--

Whoopsy:

kiss Mike!

Well Nick, you know, me and diesel.... I was left with no option...SmileySmiley

Very cool car Mike, enjoy in good health!

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Outstanding!Smiley

What are your impressions so far?

I just realized Porsche forgot to paint Mike's car!

--

Ha ha ha, I know Nick... Not my usual choice, but after two agate and one volcano I needed to try something newyes

Only impression so far is that this car is loaded with things to connect, WiFi here, hotspot there... Not really my cup of tee😳😳😳 And that the ceramic breaks don’t really feel the same in this one. Guess that has to do with the new function of the breaks I.e they load the battery when breaking

But only 30 km so far, so have to get back with my impressions later. 

That’s always the biggest challenge in a hybrid: creating a natural break feel...not easy.

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

Very cool choice, looks great, no doubt. 👍😎 Enjoy in good health. 🙂

--

Congrats! Drive safely!!!

Congrats Mike, very beautifull

Very nice looking Panamera ! Congrats Mike !

Thanks👍

Congrats, good looking car. I guess the Continetnal GT idea is gone then...?

Josef:

Congrats, good looking car. I guess the Continetnal GT idea is gone then...?

I don't know but I'd think it doesn't make any sense anymore, does it? Smiley

--

It certainly would not but cars are not a topic of sense indecision

Guys, i dont know about the Bentley. Like the interior and its always nice to change the envirionment (after four Panamera, I’m kind of bored with the interior). But RC is totally spot on, there’s is no sense at all in such swap... But then again, Josef is also spot on, so....yes

Now, after 300 km (bussy days, so haven’t had much time driving except mostly  within the city limits and I heavy traffic jams. But took it for a short high way stretch this morning) I can give you my first findings.

- Breaks... The hybrid tech is messing a bit with the feeling when breaking. All other cars I have/have had with ceramics has given me a much more “crisp” and direct felling. Sometimes it almost feels like i droped a clove or something and that this has put it self under the break pedal cheeky No real tests done yet (no really hard breaking) and so far the breaks really stops this car good, despite the feel.

- The different modes.... E, Hybrid, Sport, Sport + ??? Confusing....I’ve tried E mode and guess I need to get used to it. Hybrid just gives me a feeling of extended automatic shot of mode in the old ones. The mode that I alway pressed the button to avoid and that stopped the engine at traffic lights. I drive mostly in Sport mode so far and love to have the V8 sound back after a few months with the dieselkiss But it’s just a question of getting used to the silence regarding E- and hybrid mode, so let me get back to this in a couple of month. Because the car drives surprisingly good on electric only, so I’m sure I, step by step, will use this more. Especially in the city.

- Weight... I do feel that this is a heavier car than my previus Panameras. The two previous Turbo S felt much lighter when accelerating. I could feel the speed a little bit more. Then again, the weight makes the car feel even more stable in high speed than the previus ones, without losing agile feel in lover speeds (great thing called back wheel steering kiss)

POWER.... Wow! As said, I feel the weight when accelerating, but then again, I don’t. The weight hides the speed scarily well.. Pushed the throttle down today, and thought that I sort of didn’t feel the car go. But the I looked down on the speed and saw that I, without any drama what so ever, was going 260 km/h....angel The feeling was, how the f.. did that happen? And the electric stuff also contributes to a very cool feature. Going from 100 to, let’s say 160 is done without gearing down. The electric motors just gives the car a direct electric boost, and of you gokiss

Overall... A very good car has gone even better. This is a fantastic car and the more I drive it,  the more I’m going to like it, I think.smiley

And as a bonus, I got a letter from the traffic authority here in Sweden, telling me that my car was tax free for five years..kisswink

E mode basically means you are driving a more exciting Tesla.

Hybrid mode will gives you the best fuel economy on a loooooooooong trip. Otherwise don't need to use it.

Sports mode means the car will drive primarily with engine power only, with electric motor sitting standby as a reserve when needed.

Sports+ mode means the electric motor plays a more active mode in helping the car, sort fo the 'track max attack' mode.

Btw, all Turbo S destined for the American market are being held at port by the EPA to be thoroughly 'inspected'. The ETA for them to release the car is like closer to March if not April. There are quite a few of them getting stuck there right now.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690554 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409807 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256048 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235284 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65650 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858479 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774754 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM