Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: What Happens To Car If You Drive In The Rain?

69bossnine: Right on!

I think it best to buy the car and tow it from the dealer to my garage and never, ever drive it because, if the sun and the rain are the worst enemies of my car, where on Earth could I drive it? A better idea would be to never buy one and just do window shopping at the local dealer! Since I've seen a couple of Carrera GTs and even a 959, that should really fulfill my Porsche dreams without worrying about the weather and the elements.

Quote:
    cibergypsy said:
    I think it best to buy the car and tow it from the dealer to my garage

dude, use a flatbed

Drive in the rain on purpose

When it rains you have more fun driving the car. Find a backroad or a track day with the nanny lawyers safely at home and out the way, and drive with PSM off. It's educational but also great fun to do. A bit like being a kid and driving dirt roads on your own.

The thought of NOT driving in the rain seems more than a little "fey" to me...

Quote:
    cibergypsy said:
    I think it best to buy the car and tow it from the dealer to my garage and never, ever drive it because, if the sun and the rain are the worst enemies of my car, where on Earth could I drive it? A better idea would be to never buy one and just do window shopping at the local dealer! Since I've seen a couple of Carrera GTs and even a 959, that should really fulfill my Porsche dreams without worrying about the weather and the elements.

brilliant.........LOL

its a car, built for one purpose, to be driven.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Variety is the spice of life... [...] it's wonderful that you can find happiness in just one machine..

But ... [...] I'm like a man-whore, just with cars instead of women....

I totally get what you're saying and I agree with you in relation to cars but it also sounds like a recipe for having a different wife for each day of the week!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Variety is the spice of life... [...] it's wonderful that you can find happiness in just one machine..

But ... [...] I'm like a man-whore, just with cars instead of women....

I totally get what you're saying and I agree with you in relation to cars but it also sounds like a recipe for having a different wife for each day of the week!

Having a different wife for each day of the week is illegal in my city...
    Regarding my 997S, I don't drive it when there is salt on the roads. For two reasons: 1. salt ruins cars, shoes, roads, everything 2. I don't intend to invest in winter tires, and PS2's are really tricky when it gets cold.

I prefer not to drive in rain. I watch the forcast and if rain is coming, I'll take my SUV. Having said that, I'm not worried if the car gets wet. Hell, it takes water to wash the car in the first place. So, it will get wet.

Furthermore, I'll drive my car in the winter WITH PS2s. As long as there is no snow on the ground, no snow/rain in the forcast, and no loose salt on the streets, I have no problem driving it. Drive it like a normal car, and you won't have problems with slippery tires. I've NEVER felt the PS2s come loose in cold weather on dry roads.

And if a little salt dust gets on the car, WASH it

Re: Drive in the rain on purpose

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    Find a backroad or a track day with the nanny lawyers safely at home and out the way, and drive with PSM off.

And honestly, how many times a year do you go to your rainy track-days, and how many backroads do you find with fully open-sight curves so you can see oncoming traffic in the eventuality that you're sliding into the opposite lane playing in the slick?

Methinks your preaching is based more in fantasy and rare-occassion than day-in-day-out reality...

In the land of pixies and fairies we'll all go out frolicking in the rain, sliding gleefully around, with our little raincoats on in case we need to get out and dance in the puddles a wee bit... Because none of us have jobs to get to, or errands to run, and each day we skip rope out the front door and sashay into our 997, headed out for adventure and sport and endless frolic... And Dr. Porsche is smiling down from heaven, ecstatic that the fruits of his labors are being used for their divine purpose, and the heavens sing, and the doves fly..

Whatever... I drove in a driving rain all the way to work today.. It sucked, there were other cars off and on the entire way, and even though I travel rural roads the entire trip, there was no safe opportunity to do squat other than watch the wipers wipe, and float into work..

And the "cars are made for driving" is another emotional heart-tugger... "Yeah, the open road, driving, bugs in your teeth, caution to the wind, FREEDOM!!...."

Yeah yeah yeah, blah blah blah, peace, love and hairy stinky armpits.....

If cars were only meant for just driving, why does Porsche spend so much money on styling??

If shoes were made purely "to walk in", then how many here are sporting their comfortable tennies right now?? I am!!

Jeez, I'm in a bitchy mood this morning... Must be the rain...

Quote:
    racerx said:
    Quote:
    cibergypsy said:

dude, use a flatbed

Actually there are worse examples in real life
    Go figure: In the underground parking of "my" Porsche Centre waits a spanking new CGT (o.k. not that new anymore..) to be picked up by the owner since 18 months . The guy (collector type) wired the money and when asked by the salesguy when he would pick up his gem repeatedly answered: Sorry, no time - but it doesn't make a difference anyway whether the car sleeps in my garage or in yours"

I highly recommend a track day in the rain, preferably in someone else's car. You learn a great deal.

Quote:
    SurferDude said:
    I highly recommend a track day in the rain, preferably in someone else's car. You learn a great deal.

Indeed. Particularly in icy rain in an AWD car with winter sports tyres.
    http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=386641&an=0&page=0#386641

Quote:
    racerx said:
    Quote:
    cibergypsy said:

dude, use a flatbed

No sh*t! Is there any other way??? The action of transporting a car from one place to another, be it in a flatbed or a traditional tow truck is still called towing, isn't it? It's so obvious that a flatbed is needed to tow a car like a Porsche 911 that it doesn't need to be stated here amongst fellow enthusiasts, does it? Therefore, when I stated that it would be better to buy the car at the dealer and tow it to the garage at home, I was implying a flatbed because it is so obvious it doesn't need clarification.

What happens when you drive your car in the rain all the time is that it repeatedly gets exposed to much more dirt & everything that is on the road then if not driven in the rain. The dirty water from driving in the rain gets into everything so after time parts look cruddy. Regular washings deminish the difference of a car used in the rain all the time vs one that is not but cars that are kept up and never driven in the rain will look better over time (given equal levels of care) than those that are not. Washing a car is different than rain because when washing you are using clean water and not the water that comes up from the roads/highways when you drive on them. With my Ferrari I've gotten caught out in the rain but try to avoid taking the car out if it's already raining. Same with my Porsche but to a lesser degree. Usually if it's raining I'll take my SUV which I prefer to be in anyway when conditions are wet outside but have been out in the Porsche numerous times when it rained and its no big deal but try and wash the car as soon as possible to prevent all the dirty water & road pollution/contamination from settling too long... But to answer your question, what people are referring to when they talk about a car not driven in the rain is - Basically cars that are kept garaged could potentially be in cleaner condition that those that are used in the rain all the time. But IMO excellent car care is a much bigger factor in condition than a car driven in the rain vs one that is not.

Get a dehumidifier for your garage. Drive wet car with beaded-up water all over it. Turn on unit. Come back next day everything is (looks) dry. Keep it running for a few days after that.

Oh, before garaging it? I give the wheel wells a gentle rinse with garden hose equipped with "greenhouse" nozzle (fine controllable spray) without hitting brake rotors, to rinse loose dirt off. same treatment to lower body panels. When dirt drys it sticks.
    /uploads/386687-B92-832-lg.jpg

Quote:
    cibergypsy said:
    Quote:
    racerx said:
    Quote:
    cibergypsy said:

dude, use a flatbed

No sh*t! Is there any other way??? The action of transporting a car from one place to another, be it in a flatbed or a traditional tow truck is still called towing, isn't it? It's so obvious that a flatbed is needed to tow a car like a Porsche 911 that it doesn't need to be stated here amongst fellow enthusiasts, does it? Therefore, when I stated that it would be better to buy the car at the dealer and tow it to the garage at home, I was implying a flatbed because it is so obvious it doesn't need clarification.

That post of mine was only to give everyone a laugh. That's why I used the term DUDE.

This is not directed at you cybergypsy but out to all and especially those who think driving in the rain is some claim to He-manliness.

I drive mine 50/50 between my own spirited runs and group spirited runs in the dry.

In the past few years, with the advent of these car message boards group rides have become easy to organise.

I have gone on many such rides. We have had all makes and models at these rides, everyone gets invited.

The irony is the supposed garage queens, the ferraris, lambos's, and my babied 928 are the majority of the participants. Besides a 993tt and a CGT porsche is hardly represented. Only once have 996/997's shown.

They had ample notice, yet in my admittedly anecdotal research i have to say US 997/996 drivers outside of NYC do very little spirited driving. Don't tell me about track days because the F car, L car crowd does that also.

Sitting in rainy bumper to bumper traffic on the way to a cubicle is hardly what Ferry had in mind.

just my .02 based on years of experience.

Next time you see someone trying to get a ride going, join in, all that i have been on have been with responsible, intelligent people.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Get a dehumidifier for your garage. Drive wet car with beaded-up water all over it. Turn on unit. Come back next day everything is (looks) dry. Keep it running for a few days after that.

Oh, before garaging it? I give the wheel wells a gentle rinse with garden hose equipped with "greenhouse" nozzle (fine controllable spray) without hitting brake rotors, to rinse loose dirt off. same treatment to lower body panels. When dirt drys it sticks.

So you have a dry, dirty car? No thanks, I prefer to get all the dirt and grime from a drive in the rain off asasp with a good wash. It's the air containment's that if left on paint, rims etc. and if not washed & every now clayed off that makes paint & everything else rough & eats away at the clear coat.

If you have enough time to break out the hose you have enough time to wash your car, squirting water at the dirt on your rims may losen some dust but the dirt from driviving around is still there, it's best to wash it off w/ car wash soap, etc. W/ CCM's like on my 430 it's really not as much as an issue but w/ the Porsche's iron rotors all that brake dust gets baked into your rims over time if it's not washed off. And not just w/ water. To my eyes it's always obvious if a 911 has been taken care of properly or not usually the cars with the baked on brake dust/dirt on the rims are the same cars with swirl marks head to toe. But to each their own...

Quote:
    racerx said:
    Quote:
    cibergypsy said:
    Quote:
    racerx said:
    Quote:
    cibergypsy said:

dude, use a flatbed

That post of mine was only to give everyone a laugh. That's why I used the term DUDE.

This is not directed at you cybergypsy but out to all and especially those who think driving in the rain is some claim to He-manliness.

I drive mine 50/50 between my own spirited runs and group spirited runs in the dry.

In the past few years, with the advent of these car message boards group rides have become easy to organise.

I have gone on many such rides. We have had all makes and models at these rides, everyone gets invited.

The irony is the supposed garage queens, the ferraris, lambos's, and my babied 928 are the majority of the participants. Besides a 993tt and a CGT porsche is hardly represented. Only once have 996/997's shown.

They had ample notice, yet in my admittedly anecdotal research i have to say US 997/996 drivers outside of NYC do very little spirited driving. Don't tell me about track days because the F car, L car crowd does that also.

Sitting in rainy bumper to bumper traffic on the way to a cubicle is hardly what Ferry had in mind.

just my .02 based on years of experience.

Next time you see someone trying to get a ride going, join in, all that i have been on have been with responsible, intelligent people.

No problem. Sometimes, it is difficult to assess someone's intentions in the written language.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    What happens when you drive your car in the rain all the time is that it repeatedly gets exposed to much more dirt & everything that is on the road then if not driven in the rain. The dirty water from driving in the rain gets into everything so after time parts look cruddy. Regular washings deminish the difference of a car used in the rain all the time vs one that is not but cars that are kept up and never driven in the rain will look better over time (given equal levels of care) than those that are not. Washing a car is different than rain because when washing you are using clean water and not the water that comes up from the roads/highways when you drive on them. With my Ferrari I've gotten caught out in the rain but try to avoid taking the car out if it's already raining. Same with my Porsche but to a lesser degree. Usually if it's raining I'll take my SUV which I prefer to be in anyway when conditions are wet outside but have been out in the Porsche numerous times when it rained and its no big deal but try and wash the car as soon as possible to prevent all the dirty water & road pollution/contamination from settling too long... But to answer your question, what people are referring to when they talk about a car not driven in the rain is - Basically cars that are kept garaged could potentially be in cleaner condition that those that are used in the rain all the time. But IMO excellent car care is a much bigger factor in condition than a car driven in the rain vs one that is not.

Yeah, what he said...

Not driving it in the rain would mean in belgium: let the car in his box for 90% of the year...
    It's my 4th p and a p is really waterproof, even the targa and the cab
    Just protect the car with some quality products so now and then.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

So you have a dry, dirty car? No thanks, I prefer to get all the dirt and grime from a drive in the rain off asasp with a good wash. It's the air containment's that if left on paint, rims etc. and if not washed & every now clayed off that makes paint & everything else rough & eats away at the clear coat.

If you have enough time to break out the hose you have enough time to wash your car, squirting water at the dirt on your rims may losen some dust but the dirt from driviving around is still there, it's best to wash it off w/ car wash soap, etc. W/ CCM's like on my 430 it's really not as much as an issue but w/ the Porsche's iron rotors all that brake dust gets baked into your rims over time if it's not washed off. And not just w/ water. To my eyes it's always obvious if a 911 has been taken care of properly or not usually the cars with the baked on brake dust/dirt on the rims are the same cars with swirl marks head to toe. But to each their own...

Yes, you make good points.

My quick rinse of dirt is still a good idea because:

There's often no time to wash a car when you get home.

It's probably still raining and can't wash a car in the rain.

and most importantly: when you DO wash the car there's LESS gritty dirt attached to the paint because it was rinsed off before it had a chance to dry and fix itself to paint. IOW, less dirt attached to paint means less impossible-to-eliminate-totally "wet sanding" to get it off.

No sh*t I always rinse car off (with garden nozzle) when I get home after it's been raining. No big deal! Avoid getting the rotors wet and it can't hurt.

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    racerx said:
    Quote:
    cibergypsy said:

dude, use a flatbed

Actually there are worse examples in real life
    Go figure: In the underground parking of "my" Porsche Centre waits a spanking new CGT (o.k. not that new anymore..) to be picked up by the owner since 18 months . The guy (collector type) wired the money and when asked by the salesguy when he would pick up his gem repeatedly answered: Sorry, no time - but it doesn't make a difference anyway whether the car sleeps in my garage or in yours"

The CGT could sleep in my stable anytime.

I wonder how many times a week he checks on it.
    Being the fine gentleman you are, PJ, I'm sure you've offered to take it out for some occasional exercise.

The C4S is great in the rain. I prefer not to drive it then because folks where I live tend to lose their minds in the wet.I guess they believe it means you should speed up, follow closer and generally drive like a maniac. There's always numerous accidents, especially after the 1st rain..

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    The C4S is great in the rain. I prefer not to drive it then because folks where I live tend to lose their minds in the wet.I guess they believe it means you should speed up, follow closer and generally drive like a maniac. There's always numerous accidents, especially after the 1st rain..

That's the only reason I don't like the rain, no matter what car I am driving. Where I live there are a lot of idiotic drivers and the rain just makes them even more so. They don't know what a car's blind spot is and will just swerve into your lane as if you were not there. If you dare honk the horn, they react in an exaggerated fashion and will most likely ram you out of the road instead of staying in their lane. The don't know what an acceleration ramp means and will continue driving at 35 mph - while talking on their cell phone - all the way until the merging lane ends and they have no choice but to merge by default, not caring that people doing at least 70 mph have to hastily brake, one after the other, and maybe cause a multi-car accident, or swerve into another lane at a moment's notice to avoid a rear end collision but perhaps causing another accident when suddenly having to get into a lane occupied by another oblivious driver. Then they dare flick you off if you call their attention for being utterly stupid and the worst drivers possible - and sometimes shooting you out of road rage.

Quote:
    cibergypsy said:
    Then they dare flick you off if you call their attention for being utterly stupid and the worst drivers possible - and sometimes shooting you out of road rage.

Don't do anything to cause another driver to flick you off (not that I'm accusing you or anyone specifically of doing so).

It's like people like that are _destined_ to get in big trouble.

I always treat other freakazoid bad drivers as if they were wild animals. They always get the right-of-way from me and I always stay out of their reach.

Now if I drove an old beater pick-up truck and didn't shave for a few days maybe I'd get into the game more ... . No..., never mind that because they'd get my name and address from their cousin who works at the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

Yes, you make good points.

My quick rinse of dirt is still a good idea because:

There's often no time to wash a car when you get home.

It's probably still raining and can't wash a car in the rain.

and most importantly: when you DO wash the car there's LESS gritty dirt attached to the paint because it was rinsed off before it had a chance to dry and fix itself to paint. IOW, less dirt attached to paint means less impossible-to-eliminate-totally "wet sanding" to get it off.

No sh*t I always rinse car off (with garden nozzle) when I get home after it's been raining. No big deal! Avoid getting the rotors wet and it can't hurt.

No, I agree with you there, can't hurt.

I guess the original question has been answered in this thread, and it is interesting to see how many posts have been made. People obviously feel pretty strongly about this question, but it seeems to boil down to a couple of points.

(A) Do you have the luxury to drive multiple vehicles?

(B) How do you value your 911? Is it your baby that you plan to keep pristine for years and years, or is it that great sportscar that you just love driving and can't get enough of.

While I love my 911, I don't plan to keep it for years and years. I don't have the luxury of having other great cars to drive (if it was raining, my other option would be a VW Jetta), and I can't drive it all winter long, so when it rains, I'm going to pick the 911 every time!

Driving a 911 in the rain is still a great experience. It has PLENTY of terrific traction because of it's genius design - you just have to be careful with the power. One of the most incredible experiences I had was a long track day in constant rain. With more and more laps, I eventually reached a comfy point where the speeds in many places were very close to what I was doing on dry days. Braking zones were not disimilar either. There is reason to remain incredibly confident in a 911 in the rain, though one should reach that point with experience and always factor in plenty of safety margin on public roads, particularly for standing water and hydroplaning issues (but that goes for ANY car, AWD or not!) I completely support the previous advice to track a 911 in the rain - lessons about weight transfer, smoothness, and dealing with over and understeer are best learned in lower traction environments where they can be appreciated at lower speeds. If you are making mistakes, you will notice them on the wet. Otherwise, you may just keep making them on dry roads.

In fact, I'm very tempted to go to Camp4 this winter even though I don't intend to ever drive a C4 nor drive my 911 in the winter for this very reason.

As for water getting under the hood and onto the plastic parts, well, it's never been an issue for me, nor does it seem to clearly have caused problems for anybody chiming in here.

In Canada, we have this debate about driving a 911 in the winter all the time, and it boils down to the same 2 issues. I'm just not prepared to put my 911 through THAT kind of abuse, even though it's entirely possible and probably enlightening to drive a 911 all winter long.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    cibergypsy said:
    Then they dare flick you off if you call their attention for being utterly stupid and the worst drivers possible - and sometimes shooting you out of road rage.

Don't do anything to cause another driver to flick you off (not that I'm accusing you or anyone specifically of doing so).

I always treat other freakazoid bad drivers as if they were wild animals. They always get the right-of-way from me and I always stay out of their reach.

Now if I drove an old beater pick-up truck and didn't shave for a few days maybe I'd get into the game more ... . No..., never mind that because they'd get my name and address from their cousin who works at the Department of Motor Vehicles.

I do the same as you do - most of the times at least.

I have two cars. I drive the dirty one in the rain, whichever it is. Keep the clean car a clean a bit longer :-)

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    cibergypsy said:

By the way, it's not me the one that does things to make other drivers flick me off. Quite the contrary, it's the other drivers that do stupid things and, when one calls their attention by honking one's horn or by other body language indicative of the anger they provoked by scaring the living sh*t out of you, they dare flick one off as if you were the [beep] instead of them. The shooting part is because road rage seems to be the fashion now and apparently the accepted standard amongst some people on how to deal with issues. .

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779504 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442299 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263142 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261426 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85661 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5826 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881127 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817736 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM