Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991.2 Carrera GTS Convertible (2018) - Short Review

RC:
    bluelines:
    RC:
    DaveGordon:

The proper winter wheel set for the turbo/gt3 at least has a slightly narrower rear wheel.

I know that but apparently Porsche "allows" this combo as well. I haven't noticed any weird driving behavior but I want to make sure this combo is OK (for legal reasons and because I want to be on the safe side, ESP and all).

According to my Porsche dealer the combo is not allowed by Porsche and is hence not road legal in CH. It would surprise me if it is any different in D.

I have been looking at winter tires for my GTS and I have been told to not put 295 winter rubber on the 20 inch summer rims. You need the 20 inch winter rims. 19 inch won’t fit due to RWS.

If you have official written confirmation please PM me.

It is official now: Combo I am driving is not approved. Somebody at the dealership messed up, they apologized today.

Thanks for the update.

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

RC:
    Ron (Houston):

Congrats! RC Smiley  Beautiful toy

Thanks, Ron but it will be replaced by a C63 S AMG next autumn. Smiley 

I really like the 991.2 GTS, actually more than I thought I would but my wife needs fully sized rear seats and my son refuses to be driven/picked up at school in a Porsche sportscar because of some issues he had because of some class mates making comments, incl. one teacher(!). Welcome to Germany. Smiley

That sort of reactionary and cruel public social mindset explains some of Germany's nastier episodes in its history. angry

Typical reckless RC, racing around on tires about to fall off his wheels!

JimFlat6:
    RC:
    Ron (Houston):

I really like the 991.2 GTS, actually more than I thought I would but my wife needs fully sized rear seats and my son refuses to be driven/picked up at school in a Porsche sportscar because of some issues he had because of some class mates making comments, incl. one teacher(!). Welcome to Germany. Smiley

That sort of reactionary and cruel public social mindset explains some of Germany's nastier episodes in its history. angry

That explains Drumpf’s mindset too SmileySmiley 

--

I test drove a 991.2 GTS last weekend. Was pleasantly surprised, but for reasons I did not expect. Coming from a GT4, the engine noise seemed muted, but the response was excellent. The final 1000 rpm were exciting, the engine has a NA character that does not correspond to a traditional turbo. On the other hand, it pushed strongly from low revs, ideal for road driving.

The driving modes enable a complete change in the driving: I was able to cruise in highway in a similar confortable ways as in our Macan. Then, Sport Plus transformed the car. Loved the steering wheel mannetino. PDK was ultra quick, a nice improvement over the last one I drove.

Actually, I missed the 991 induction noise. Seemed muted to me, as well as the exhaust. Does not match what I have heard over here, could it be that there is a change in the setup to the most recent cars?

As a weekend car, it is no match to my GT4. But it opens a new dimension of day-to-day drivability and long tourer. Very tempted...

--

2016 Cayman GT4 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2016 Macan S Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S

noone1:

-1 @noone1

RC isn't to blame for this, his dealer is!

Lord_Driftalot:
    noone1:

-1 @noone1

Missing sarcasm indicator. It is all good. 

bluelines:
    JimFlat6:
    RC:
    Ron (Houston):

That explains Drumpf’s mindset too SmileySmiley 

Stock market?  Unemployment?  Lower taxes. Huge economic growth.  None of the doom and gloom predicted at all. I’m so happy,  smiles and smiles. All good news. We may even consider lifting a certain ban?  Grown up enough yet?  Or are side jabs the only thing allowed?

+1, returning to my cayman GTS I had the same weird feeling about the 991 GTS‘s sound...Smiley...nevertheless, a brilliant piece of engineering comparing the turbo to N/A.

Leawood911:
    Lord_Driftalot:
    noone1:

-1 @noone1

Missing sarcasm indicator. It is all good. 

Smiley

OK, the solution my dealer has to offer isn't optimal surprise

At first, I was supposed to get a set of Porsche winter wheels but instead of getting the same black rims I have on my GTS, they wanted to give me the silver(!) winter wheel set with Turbo rims they had lying around. I just didn't like how it changes the whole look of the car, so I refused to get it.

Now we are back to getting non-N rated tires in summer tire sizes (front/rear). These tire combo has a TÜV approval, so no insurance issues here but I am not pleased to be honest. This is the only solution they can offer me (unless I want to pay 6k for a new wheel set with black rims), so I took it.

Only advantage: I have now W winter tires, so they are limited to 270 kph instead of 240 kph (Porsche approved winter tires with N rating).

I talked to "someone" I know at Porsche about this and he told me that the N-rated Sottozero is less prone to aquaplaning and seems to offer a bit more traction and side grip  on snow, especially due to the different rubber mixture (hence the 240 kph limit for the N rated tire). Overall, he just advised me to be more careful when it rains and in heavy snow, other than that, I should be fine. I hope he is right. Can't say I have a good feeling about this but I keep the car for 12 months only, winter is over in April, so no big deal. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

wow RC without N Rated tyres. I wonder that you still drive the car.

hunterone:

Wow, another tire expert. Smiley Smiley 

I guess Porsche (and other car manufacturers) must be doing something wrong. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

I never gave a damn to those N-Ratings (nevertheless at the end I always had them due to availability). But - this is as stupid as to believe that Porsche Mobile 10 Oil is different than the one you can buy somewhere else. But I'm impressed to see how that Porsche money-making-machine works. 

Lars997:

I never gave a damn to those N-Ratings (nevertheless at the end I always had them due to availability). But - this is as stupid as to believe that Porsche Mobile 10 Oil is different than the one you can buy somewhere else. But I'm impressed to see how that Porsche money-making-machine works. 

Lars, the oil is the same of course but the tires aren't. Or is there any N-rated oil Porsche sells? Smiley

I had insight into tire development at Porsche, rubber mixture is different, sidewalls are different, even the profile is sometimes different, many differences. If you think this doesn't matter and Porsche does that only for fun and to sell their tires for additional profit (little hint: price difference per tire is often under 50 bucks, if there is any price difference), then so be it but...you are wrong. Smiley

Take the PZero N1 for example and compare it to the regular PZero available without N rating: Tires couldn't be more different, believe me. Any Porsche driver using a regular PZero instead of the N1 with their 991, gives away a lot of dry performance. A lot!

We discussed this many times before and it is not a secret that Porsche works with tire manufacturers from the start of development to assure the best possible tires for their cars. This is no marketing thing and also has not much to do with cost saving (exception may be the Cayenne, which sometimes uses tires from Hankook for example...the Macan maybe as well because these are not high performance sports cars).

--

RC:
    Lars997:

Lars, the oil is the same of course but the tires aren't. Or is there any N-rated oil Porsche sells? Smiley

I had insight into tire development at Porsche, rubber mixture is different, sidewalls are different, even the profile is sometimes different, many differences. If you think this doesn't matter and Porsche does that only for fun and to sell their tires for additional profit (little hint: price difference per tire is often under 50 bucks, if there is any price difference), then so be it but...you are wrong. Smiley

Take the PZero N1 for example and compare it to the regular PZero available without N rating: Tires couldn't be more different, believe me. Any Porsche driver using a regular PZero instead of the N1 with their 991, gives away a lot of dry performance. A lot!

We discussed this many times before and it is not a secret that Porsche works with tire manufacturers from the start of development to assure the best possible tires for their cars. This is no marketing thing and also has not much to do with cost saving (exception may be the Cayenne, which sometimes uses tires from Hankook for example...the Macan maybe as well because these are not high performance sports cars).

RC - you are for sure absolutely right with what you are saying. I always said I buy the "N" as the price and availability was also comparable. Also I think - even if there is a small price difference, then so what. I just think, sometimes that extra Penny Porsche is asking of people is just insane and senseless. I might have been wrong with the tires, but in so many other places it is just money making. And back to that oil - it might not have an "N" Logo, put it hast that "extra" Porsche price which smells like rip off and not valuable extra. 

Take the wheel set for example: 7.5k EUR for a winter wheel set for the 991 GTS with CL.

Now would it be so difficult for Porsche to certify the winter tires for the same rim sizes?

Would it be so difficult for Porsche to sell less attractive rims for a much lower price?

Would it be so difficult for Porsche to actually certify winter tires in summer tire sizes?

Well...Porsche certainly knows how to make money. Smiley

Btw: Audi isn't much better, they ask over 6k EUR for their 19'' winter wheels but the dealer was nice, I had some issues with brake caliper discoloration and the brake system had to be completely exchanged (which was a goodwill action from them, they didn't have to, brake caliper discoloration is considered "normal", especially after heavy track use Smiley), so for my "trouble", they gave me a new set of 19'' winter wheels for 2k EUR (probably their own at cost price).

--

RC:
    This is no marketing thing and also has not much to do with cost saving (exception may be the Cayenne,

--

hummm  ???  what about the whole Michelin PSS and the 997 ?  Marketing was the only reason to have the Pirelli with an N rating . 

Don't give them too much credit . Yes, they do things right and for a reason , but they are also a big marketing company .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

hunterone:

Smiley

--

Gnil:
    RC:
    This is no marketing thing and also has not much to do with cost saving (exception may be the Cayenne,

--

hummm  ???  what about the whole Michelin PSS and the 997 ?  Marketing was the only reason to have the Pirelli with an N rating . 

Don't give them too much credit . Yes, they do things right and for a reason , but they are also a big marketing company .

Sometimes, you have to give me credit for a few things I cannot really explain because I would harm myself. 😉

In the past, there were cost considerations but nowadays manufacturers like Pirelli or Michelin are fully "embedded" with development. Tires are too important nowadays to loose an advantage.

--

Speaking of real world fuel consumption... (OK, I drive in Sport mode only and shift manually).

499C288B-4ECC-4651-AB8C-77EFA7E417D9.png

--

I still don’t know how you can shift manually without a clutch?  Can we call that something else?  Manually push buttons?  I get that we are on a loosing team but can we at least save the terminology?  

and what is that in MPG?

Leawood911:

I still don’t know how you can shift manually without a clutch?  Can we call that something else?  Manually push buttons?  I get that we are on a loosing team but can we at least save the terminology?  

and what is that in MPG?

I guess I need to explain the words manual (by hand) and clutch (used by a foot) to you? 😉

--

Pretty. sad actually 44 km/h average for a sportscar. My average is not that impressive either, but at least 70+ km/h over the last 10k km in my Cayenne. To commute and to go into town I use public transport...

RC:

Speaking of real world fuel consumption... (OK, I drive in Sport mode only and shift manually).

499C288B-4ECC-4651-AB8C-77EFA7E417D9.png

For comparison Smiley

IMG_6457.PNG
    IMG_6456.PNG

Top is the 918 and bottom is the Cayenne Turbo S, and the stat are for the lifetime of the cars, the 918 is at ~15,500km, the Cayenne at ~18,000km

--

993Targa:

Pretty. sad actually 44 km/h average for a sportscar. My average is not that impressive either, but at least 70+ km/h over the last 10k km in my Cayenne. To commute and to go into town I use public transport...

You are aware that I'm still running in the car?... 😉

--

13L per 100km for the 918 is actually choking.

I thought that this monster would be on a 20+L basis for normal drive....kiss

the fat whale is not surprising though, my wife's GTS is on  angry

--

GT Lover

Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 on order

991 GT3 2014(sold)

CAYENNE GTS 2014

IMG_0079.jpg

The 911 Turbo as daily driver by my wife! I must admit the this usage is negatively iinfluenced by my driving hahaha. My Audi R8 is more in the 17-18l/100km !

44km/h average. Seems prefect application for EV technology.

SciFrog:

44km/h average. Seems prefect application for EV technology.

Hybrid. 

Best of both worlds. That's why the 918 is so fantastic.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690763 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409944 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256128 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235362 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65732 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858687 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774911 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM