Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

Lars997:

The R8 V10plus is already fast enough. No need to ruin that amazing engine with a supercharger. God bless the natural aspirated engines! 

Smiley I just hope that Audi/Lamborghini give the V10 a last good-bye by offering a 650-680 hp n/a V10 engine in the facelift.

You'd be surprised however how good a V10 biturbo or even supercharger sounds but the lag is present, especially in the biturbo configuration.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0JcaQ5lpfk&feature=youtu.be

New Audi Sport Performance Parts shown...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Latest rumor for the Huracan(!) facelift: 650 hp, rear wheel steering (maybe optional).

Since the R8 facelift will be similar to the Huracan facelift, I thought this would be interesting.

650 hp isn't really much but this would propel the R8 to a 0-200 kph performance under 9 seconds (8.9 or 8.8), which would be excellent for a last good-bye.

--

RC:

Latest rumor for the Huracan(!) facelift: 650 hp, rear wheel steering (maybe optional).

Since the R8 facelift will be similar to the Huracan facelift, I thought this would be interesting.

650 hp isn't really much but this would propel the R8 to a 0-200 kph performance under 9 seconds (8.9 or 8.8), which would be excellent for a last good-bye.

So with 650hp it will be more powerful than a Performante (even if not by much) and with RWS it could equalise the Performante's ALA-advantage... Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    RC:

So with 650hp it will be more powerful than a Performante (even if not by much) and with RWS it could equalise the Performante's ALA-advantage... Smiley

More powerful than Performante? Yes. Equalizing the ALA advantage? I doubt it. Also, there will be a facelift Performante as well as far as I heard. Smiley

Again, this is just a rumor. So many rumors heard lately about the Huracan and R8, I don't even know where to begin. Smiley

Oh, 48V system as well...which would facilitate the extra power.

--

Come on RC - the current V10plus is already more than fast enough smiley

And - couple of horse powers more will not make any much difference. I rather would like to see a power hybrid. Some electrical units on one of the axles to boost the car in another dimension. Other than that its just a number play. Even cold to warm weather makes probably more difference in the output power. 

Lars997:

And - couple of horse powers more will not make any much difference. I rather would like to see a power hybrid. Some electrical units on one of the axles to boost the car in another dimension. Other than that its just a number play. Even cold to warm weather makes probably more difference in the output power. 

40 horses make a difference, also the rear wheel steering and some other changes. 

My lease still goes on for 2 1/2 years, so no pressure here... Smiley

--

RC:
    Lars997:

40 horses make a difference, also the rear wheel steering and some other changes. 

My lease still goes on for 2 1/2 years, so no pressure here... Smiley

I buy the rear wheel steering as a major handling impact. 40 Horses might be a tiny number of difference, but I dont think you can feel it that much. It might be more the way how the engine delivers those extra 40hp

Hoping for many more years for the R8...

https://youtu.be/ShaphA2hWXg

Merry Christmas.  

That is great. Merry Christmas 🎄 

CGX car nut:

Hoping for many more years for the R8...

https://youtu.be/ShaphA2hWXg

Merry Christmas.  

My daughter loved this, thanks so much. 👍😎

Merry Christmas.

--

kiss kiss

Just in: R8 facelift happens this year, don't know when. A bit more power (20-30 hp), some minor(!) design mods (no major overhaul), maybe some touch controls from new A8.

The good part: It sticks to the V10 engine.

The bad part: It seems this is the last R8...ever. Nobody seems to believe that there is going to be a next generation car, it seems that Audi wants to leave the sportscar market to Lamborghini. There is no definitive word yet but everything indicates that the R8 is done.

--

Were sales slow ?

--

White 991.2 GT3, production week 10

Gauss:

Were sales slow ?

In Germany and other parts of Europe apparently super slow, only UK and US were better as far as I heard.

The cars are too expensive, with the most desirable options, they are usually around 220k EUR, the Spyder over 230k EUR. Too much. For this kind of money, you can get a Huracan here and resale value of the Huracan is much better. 

Nobody knows exactly why the R8 sold that bad, there are various theories (incl. dealership/workshop experiences, most R8 dealerships are used to selling A3 and A4 and not R8 Smiley) but it doesn't seem to matter anymore.

At some point, Audi apparently wanted to continue with the R8 but it seems that someone at VW Group pulled the plug. It isn't 100% yet but right now, the R8's future doesn't look bright. 

My plan is to get (lease) the facelift for three years and buy it out if possible. I really love this car and unfortunately I cannot afford the Performante (this would be my favorite but the R8 facelift will be the next best choice).

--

Any breaking news for the Huracan facelift?

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

RC:
    Gauss:

Were sales slow ?

In Germany and other parts of Europe apparently super slow, only UK and US were better as far as I heard.

The cars are too expensive, with the most desirable options, they are usually around 220k EUR, the Spyder over 230k EUR. Too much. For this kind of money, you can get a Huracan here and resale value of the Huracan is much better. 

Nobody knows exactly why the R8 sold that bad, there are various theories (incl. dealership/workshop experiences, most R8 dealerships are used to selling A3 and A4 and not R8 Smiley) but it doesn't seem to matter anymore.

At some point, Audi apparently wanted to continue with the R8 but it seems that someone at VW Group pulled the plug. It isn't 100% yet but right now, the R8's future doesn't look bright. 

My plan is to get (lease) the facelift for three years and buy it out if possible. I really love this car and unfortunately I cannot afford the Performante (this would be my favorite but the R8 facelift will be the next best choice).

Its the image in Germany. An Audi is not a 200k++ car. 

The car is amazing, the perception on younger people extraordinary good. The good thing - you can buy a decently used car for 40%- 50% off. And then it becomes a steal.

As you know 27 of my friends had a 6 months special least last year. This year they will do it again and apparently they have currently 35 future R8 owners. Most are opting this year for the V10plus Spyder. Last year they had 25 Spyder and 2 V10plus Coupes. The 6 months lease was not very attractive IMO.

Rossi:

Any breaking news for the Huracan facelift?

It is possible that both come at the same time, R8 and Huracan facelift.

The reason is simple: There isn't enough time anymore to introduce both with a year gap between them.

--

R8 sales even in the States isn't strong.  Part of the problem is pricing, as Christian mentioned for the German market, is true for this market too.  Audi really needed to introduce an entry level R8 using a smaller engine.  Unfortunately, it is too late for the R8.  Given the new electrification strategy at Volkswagen, an electric sports car makes more sense than one with a V10.   

CGX car nut:

R8 sales even in the States isn't strong.  Part of the problem is pricing, as Christian mentioned for the German market, is true for this market too.  Audi really needed to introduce an entry level R8 using a smaller engine.  Unfortunately, it is too late for the R8.  Given the new electrification strategy at Volkswagen, an electric sports car makes more sense than one with a V10.   

The R8 e-tron was cancelled last year, limited quantity (pre-series) production stopped completely.

The future of Audi is more something like the Audi Quattro Sport or the RS6, RS4, RS5, not a super sportscar like the R8. This is going to happen with Porsche, not with Audi anymore. At least this seems to be currently the strategy for the future in the VW Group. Of course everything is in a flow right now at VW Group. Last year, the rumor came up that Audi and VW Group are done with the R8, I reported it here on Rennteam and even several car magazines picked this up (not from RT but from their own sources at Audi Sport). Then, Audi Sport boss Winkelmann had a different vision for the R8 and wanted to keep it but VW Group apparently decided different and Winkelmann moved on to Bugatti. This is how fast things are moving at VW Group right now, it is amazing how much can change within a couple of months.

My plan was to keep my current R8 and buy it out of the lease but right now, the plan looks different: I am very likely going to get the facelift (I just love the R8, I know that many people don't understand but for the money I pay for this car, it is a bargain) and buy it out of the lease once it ends, if I can afford it. The facelift makes a lot of sense for me because it will be the last evolutionary step of the R8 with the final tech and engine improvements. I just hope this car will be delivered without the particle filter (direct fuel injection) because right now, it seems that the particle filter will have the same effect as a turbo charger, meaning muting the exhaust/engine sound. Smiley I could live with a slightly quieter exhaust sound but I hope that the facelift won't be affected since it runs on the same certification as the original car.

Lamborghini just reported record sales numbers, so the product is OK but like I said before, the R8 was marketed and priced wrong and now it is to late to change anything.

Markets will be flooded with used R8 V10 Plus at some point, putting their (used) prices probably even under more pressure. My dealer gets 25(!) used R8 V10 Plus Spyder (Audi Driving Experience cars), each with not more than 7000 km or so and I was clearly thinking about getting one but since the facelift is coming, I guess I am sticking to the Coupe.

My sales guy already "reserved" one facelift car for me and I'll see what I am going to do with this "reservation". Demand for the facelift will be probably as bad as for the current car, so no worries here. Unless Audi puts something spectacular on the market but I doubt it. Right now, not even the RWS is confirmed but it will, as rumors indicate, get the same technical options and features as the new Huracan facelift, so... Smiley

--

I have some numbers now:

2017, only 803 R8 were newly registered in Germany. For comparison: 7520 Porsche 911.

--

RC:
    CGX car nut:

The R8 e-tron was cancelled last year, limited quantity (pre-series) production stopped completely.

The future of Audi is more something like the Audi Quattro Sport or the RS6, RS4, RS5, not a super sportscar like the R8. This is going to happen with Porsche, not with Audi anymore. At least this seems to be currently the strategy for the future in the VW Group. Of course everything is in a flow right now at VW Group. Last year, the rumor came up that Audi and VW Group are done with the R8, I reported it here on Rennteam and even several car magazines picked this up (not from RT but from their own sources at Audi Sport). Then, Audi Sport boss Winkelmann had a different vision for the R8 and wanted to keep it but VW Group apparently decided different and Winkelmann moved on to Bugatti. This is how fast things are moving at VW Group right now, it is amazing how much can change within a couple of months.

My plan was to keep my current R8 and buy it out of the lease but right now, the plan looks different: I am very likely going to get the facelift (I just love the R8, I know that many people don't understand but for the money I pay for this car, it is a bargain) and buy it out of the lease once it ends, if I can afford it. The facelift makes a lot of sense for me because it will be the last evolutionary step of the R8 with the final tech and engine improvements. I just hope this car will be delivered without the particle filter (direct fuel injection) because right now, it seems that the particle filter will have the same effect as a turbo charger, meaning muting the exhaust/engine sound. Smiley I could live with a slightly quieter exhaust sound but I hope that the facelift won't be affected since it runs on the same certification as the original car.

Lamborghini just reported record sales numbers, so the product is OK but like I said before, the R8 was marketed and priced wrong and now it is to late to change anything.

Markets will be flooded with used R8 V10 Plus at some point, putting their (used) prices probably even under more pressure. My dealer gets 25(!) used R8 V10 Plus Spyder (Audi Driving Experience cars), each with not more than 7000 km or so and I was clearly thinking about getting one but since the facelift is coming, I guess I am sticking to the Coupe.

My sales guy already "reserved" one facelift car for me and I'll see what I am going to do with this "reservation". Demand for the facelift will be probably as bad as for the current car, so no worries here. Unless Audi puts something spectacular on the market but I doubt it. Right now, not even the RWS is confirmed but it will, as rumors indicate, get the same technical options and features as the new Huracan facelift, so... Smiley

I only would consier to change if the deal is excellent. Other than that - your car is amazing already. Why would you change it? For tiny 30HP more? Not worth the upgrade. Personally I said good bye to permanent car changes. I rather keep the cars and build up the collection. 

Lars, I really want to keep the R8 (V10 engine) but I would like to have the really "last" one (facelift) because out of experience, these cars are perfect and highly refined.

Since I plan to keep the R8, it makes sense to get the facelift and then, after the lease ends, buy it out. 

I could also imagine getting a 24h Experience R8 V10 Plus Spyder out of that 25 cars batch my dealer is getting next month or so. This is where my sales guy could make a very special offer. A Spyder would make great sense, so my wife wouldn't need to get another convertible once her C63 AMG convertible lease ends around 2021. She already drove the Spyder (non-Plus) and loved it, she was quite surprised how easy it was to drive.

The facelift will get an improved chassis though and some other improvements, so maybe it makes more sense.

I also need to see if the facelift gets a particle filter. If so, the sound will be compromised. Smiley Then, it depends how it sounds.

Will decide this spring... Smiley

--

Umm - why would you lease for a period then buy? Why not just buy? Surely when you're leasing, you're just paying interest on the depreciation?

--

991 Carrera Black Edition, XC90 Black\Black - 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

Umm - why would you lease for a period then buy? Why not just buy? Surely when you're leasing, you're just paying interest on the depreciation?

The lease offers I (usually) get are quite good and in the end, the dealer usually wants to get rid of the car because he doesn't want to have an expensive used car in his used car lot, so the deals can be pretty good when you want to buy the car in the end (depends on the model of course).

Money is invested right now, also I only get around 13% discount for a new R8 right now, the lease offers and/or offers for used models are much much better. Not even sure how much discount will be there for the facelift, maybe less.

Right now, I plan to get an "introduction" car (facelift) the dealer ordered anyway, then the dealer registers it to the dealership, I drive the first 1000 km (run-in), then the dealer offers the car for a short period of time for test-drives (only very select people, they had bad experience in the past and won't let "anyone" do test-drives anymore) and finally, I get to lease the car at a highly reduced rate or I could buy it at a huge discount. The usual... Smiley

--

I quite like these R8's. Must be our oll ripe age. Would love a go in one, said months back...

Christian, it wouldn't bother you then about demo customers giving it full beans before you have it?. Or is it me being silly billy indecision..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

The problem is two-fold:

1. The price of the V10 went up like $40K and DCT was already offered last-gen.
    2. It doesn't look as unique. The first one was a brand new, rather revolutionary design. This one looks like a facelift.

throt:

I quite like these R8's. Must be our oll ripe age. Would love a go in one, said months back...

Christian, it wouldn't bother you then about demo customers giving it full beans before you have it?. Or is it me being silly billy indecision..

Truth to be told, yes...I am a bit worried but these cars are bullet proof. My car was also a test-car, it has now almost 20k km, drove over 18k km in it and it runs and runs and eats a bit of oil (aprox. 1 l per 4000 km).

Since my dealer had a wannabe customer crash a R8, they do not let many people drive these cars. Good for me. Smiley

--

noone1:

The problem is two-fold:

1. The price of the V10 went up like $40K and DCT was already offered last-gen.
    2. It doesn't look as unique. The first one was a brand new, rather revolutionary design. This one looks like a facelift.

Yes, this could be a problem as well but the major problems are the price tag (similar to Huracan in Germany), service (mostly regular Audi dealers) and...the V10 engine. Many sportscar buyers in Germany seriously ask about...fuel consumption. Smiley Smiley Resale value is also a major issue, potential buyers know that.

--

RC:

Lars, I really want to keep the R8 (V10 engine) but I would like to have the really "last" one (facelift) because out of experience, these cars are perfect and highly refined.

Since I plan to keep the R8, it makes sense to get the facelift and then, after the lease ends, buy it out. 

I could also imagine getting a 24h Experience R8 V10 Plus Spyder out of that 25 cars batch my dealer is getting next month or so. This is where my sales guy could make a very special offer. A Spyder would make great sense, so my wife wouldn't need to get another convertible once her C63 AMG convertible lease ends around 2021. She already drove the Spyder (non-Plus) and loved it, she was quite surprised how easy it was to drive.

The facelift will get an improved chassis though and some other improvements, so maybe it makes more sense.

I also need to see if the facelift gets a particle filter. If so, the sound will be compromised. Smiley Then, it depends how it sounds.

Will decide this spring... Smiley

Makes perfectly sense!

My wife loved the Spyder, too. But I think the Coupe has so much more room. Also that hideous engine-bay ventilation next to the driver seat is really heating the car up badly. You don't have that in the Coupe. 

You know - I'm a fan of the R8 and I think it is already close to perfect. So much fun that car!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    690973 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410120 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256179 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235398 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65742 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858782 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775090 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM