Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Autocar GT2 Review

http://autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Porsche-911-3.6-GT2/228314/

seems they favour the scud ?
    let's see how they react in the video that will be online october 3rd.

Re: Autocar GT2 Review

Re "they favour the Scud": I don't see that in the article. All they say is the Suderia's stabiity management system is more clever; I think it has 5 positions, to the GT2's 3.

Kamal

Are we reading the same sentence? I believe you are misinterpreting the sentence. 'The traction control is subtle, if not as clever as the 430 Scuderia's.'

We are reading the same material, but I am taking into account the sentence that follows the one you quote:

"The traction control is subtle, if not as clever as the 430 Scuderia's. It is possible to have either full stability, traction control alone or the whole lot off."

You can either take the first sentence by itself and interpret it as referring to the action of the traction control program itself, and comparing it to the corrsponding program in the Ferrari. Alternatively, you can take the two sentences together, bring in additional context by recalling the much praised 5-position manettoni in the Ferrari, and come to the interpretation I offered earlier.

Kamal

Quote:
    Modrocket_stereo said:
    Are we reading the same sentence? I believe you are misinterpreting the sentence. 'The traction control is subtle, if not as clever as the 430 Scuderia's.'

I believe the writer meant the stability management system of the Scud is technically better though both are effective. More importantly, it is clear he preferred the GT3 over the GT2.

Only very hard core track people have a reason to buy the GT2.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Modrocket_stereo said:

I believe the writer meant the stability management system of the Scud is technically better though both are effective. More importantly, it is clear he preferred the GT3 over the GT2.

No, the writer didn't imply that the Scud stability management was better. It was simply stated that it had more settings. Personally, I see no need for a half-assed stabiliy system. It is either ON, because you can't afford to do anything stupid, or it is OFF. Anything in-between is useless IMO.

Regarding buyer type, I seriously doubt that. Both the Scuderia and the GT2 will be bought by pretty much all types of customers.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Modrocket_stereo said:

No, the writer didn't imply that the Scud stability management was better. It was simply stated that it had more settings. Personally, I see no need for a half-assed stabiliy system. It is either ON, because you can't afford to do anything stupid, or it is OFF. Anything in-between is useless IMO.

I have a slightly different view: on the track it might increase fun (while still maintaining a safety net) to have PSM work in a less rigid mode. In contrast, on a wet road PSM should step in much earlier than it would in race mode. Thus, more PSM settings could be quite useful, if one uses a car on regular roads and on the track

Suspect Scud will prove more actively safe/stable vs GT2 in most track/public road settings (smarter chassis networks, both hands of driver focused on steering w/o Luddite shifting mechanics, etc)...

GT2 will have far greater passive safety vs Scud, esp when considering airbag systems, fuel tank crashworthiness (w/ or w/o optional fire extinguisher )...

F plans to sell ?500-1000/yr Scuds (w/likely 0% one-yr deprec in US)....P may struggle to sell ?200/yr GT2s (w/likely 50% one-yr deprec in US)....suspect both cars will largely be used for occasional driving to dinner and valet-parked in front of predictable restaurants on a fair-weather evening in BevHills/Munich, etc....

Suspect true track junkies will consider 430C/GT3Cup as well....and have concerns re: GT2 turbo nonlinearity for track use....

doesn't look like they will struggle to sell the gt2 as the allocation is less than one per dealer in the us and dealers are asking 50k over... Friend of mine cannot find one at msrp. P playing F game, not good for the costumer. Another car I won't get... Maybe they are trying to reduce us allocations as the usd is getting pounded...

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    doesn't look like they will struggle to sell the gt2 as the allocation is less than one per dealer in the us and dealers are asking 50k over... Friend of mine cannot find one at msrp. P playing F game, not good for the costumer. Another car I won't get... Maybe they are trying to reduce us allocations as the usd is getting pounded...

US allocation is 175 GT2's a reduction down from the 220 originally promised. I have a 10K deposit down and can't seem to get one yet. All spoken for so my hope is someone will find that they can't stomach the 200k when it actually comes to paying the cold hard cash.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:

Not really....realize that P dealers have a much more shallow base of deep-pocketed repeat buyers than do F dealers in major mkts (many colleagues in their 30s in NYC/SF have never owned a P; only grew up w/AMG commuter cars and F wkend cars)....have been offered early GT2@MSRP by two different CA dealers (and passed)....again, consider how low GT2 vols are: prob 200ish in yr 1 into US; then, 50ish in yr 2; and prob 10ish in yr3....

The guy who buys GT2 at MSRP (or whatever similarly absurd price) today can expect to receive some $100K upon trade-in in 12mos, no matter mileage....used GT2 buyer is a rather socio-economically "different" buyer than early new GT2 buyers...

Most repeat F buyers in SF/Greenwich get their Scuds at MSRP...and trade it in for MSRP in 6-12mos....the frugal man's sportscar ....the clueless/non-plugged-in F buyer who needs to buy Scud at mkt upon launch will prob absorb $50-70K in one-yr deprec costs...much less than GT2/65...and similar to 997TT/599 (acquired at mkt) one-yr deprec costs....

Point is: these are microscopic niche mkts...which dramatically shrink when most (image-conscious, yet cost-conscious) buyers need to consider prospect of a fast-depreciating car w/limited daily-useability....and esp if lim cachet at spots in front of power restaurants in BevHills/SF/Greenwich...where new 599/65/CL63 dominate (hard to easily differentiate a Scud/GT2 from the thousands of used, elderly P/F from gruesome parts of inland LA (or coastal/inland OC ) that converge on LA's Westside on wkends )....

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Modrocket_stereo said:

Regarding buyer type, I seriously doubt that. Both the Scuderia and the GT2 will be bought by pretty much all types of customers.

If a a stability system has more settings, is it not technically better? I stated both were equally effective.

If this car attracted all type of buyers, Porsche would produce a hell of a lot more. They know it is a very narrow market segment.

To those who can't get an allocation, thank your lucky stars. The Gt2 depreciation will be huge. Within a year you probably can pick one up for 20-25% less. Porsche's at this price point do not hold their value especially since they all look alike.

MBH, I am sure you have some valuable insights but honestly I cannot read your posts. The abbreviations and nomenclature come at the reader in staccato fashion rendering the message, at least to me, incomprehensible.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Modrocket_stereo said:

If a a stability system has more settings, is it not technically better? I stated both were equally effective.

If this car attracted all type of buyers, Porsche would produce a hell of a lot more. They know it is a very narrow market segment.

To those who can't get an allocation, thank your lucky stars. The Gt2 depreciation will be huge. Within a year you probably can pick one up for 20-25% less. Porsche's at this price point do not hold their value especially since they all look alike.

MBH, I am sure you have some valuable insights but honestly I cannot read your posts. The abbreviations and nomenclature come at the reader in staccato fashion rendering the message, at least to me, incomprehensible.

Don't worry Nick. I have no difficulty at all reading VKSF/WBH's posts (I think JimFlat6 likened it to reading Her Majesty's telegram's ), and at least when it comes to critiquing Porsche's nowadays, he displays a line of reasoning that seems incomprehensible (sorry VKSF/WBH ). To compare a GT2 to anything MB puts on the road (and that includes his beloved SL65AMG barge or the new CL63) is pointless.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    [MBH, I am sure you have some valuable insights but honestly I cannot read your posts. The abbreviations and nomenclature come at the reader in staccato fashion rendering the message, at least to me, incomprehensible.

Totally.

Quote:
    997CarreraS said:
    US allocation is 175 GT2's a reduction down from the 220 originally promised. I have a 10K deposit down and can't seem to get one yet. All spoken for so my hope is someone will find that they can't stomach the 200k when it actually comes to paying the cold hard cash.

Even you can't get one? Thought you had put yourself on the list a long time ago.

Maybe you could talk Mr. Gates into cancelling his and you will have yours

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Quote:
    997CarreraS said:

Even you can't get one? Thought you had put yourself on the list a long time ago.

I paused slightly and ended up second on the list. Dont think Bill is first.

Quote:
    997CarreraS said:
    Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Quote:
    997CarreraS said:

I paused slightly and ended up second on the list. Dont think Bill is first.

I did see a beautiful GT3RS at the dealership this week, maybe that will be my second choice

Hehe, I was just kidding about Bill Gates. He already had the ultimate Porsche in 959. But bummer for the little pause.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Modrocket_stereo said:

I have a slightly different view: on the track it might increase fun (while still maintaining a safety net) to have PSM work in a less rigid mode. In contrast, on a wet road PSM should step in much earlier than it would in race mode. Thus, more PSM settings could be quite useful, if one uses a car on regular roads and on the track

Good points, I must admit.

Quote:
    nberry said:Only very hard core track people have a reason to buy the GT2.

In my neck of the woods, those people tend to have 996/997 GT3/RS's, BMW CSL's, Lotus Elise/Exige or Radicals.

GT2's are a rare sight and never the fastest car on track. My 996RS had no problem showing GT2's a clean pair of heels, even modded ones on power circuits like Spa.

Quote:
    ScottL said:
    Quote:

In my neck of the woods, those people tend to have 996/997 GT3/RS's, BMW CSL's, Lotus Elise/Exige or Radicals.

GT2's are a rare sight and never the fastest car on track. My 996RS had no problem showing GT2's a clean pair of heels, even modded ones on power circuits like Spa.

Nick, believe it or not, GT3 is a better track car than GT2. Application of power with the turbo engine is a major reason for this.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    P playing F game, not good for the costumer. Another car I won't get...

Not quite... In case of Porsche the US prices are simply way too cheap compared to European price levels. At the current US$/EUR exchange rate the GT2 should set you back US$ 300.000 (which is far higher than the price they charge in the US, right?). Thus, US$ prices of Porsche are kept artifically low which in turn implies that whenever a new Porsche model should be "rare" (which is a rare event itself given their huge production numbers...) US customers have more difficulties in getting one. Porsche simply earns much more money with their cars in Europe than in the US.

Quote:
    Erik said:
    Quote:
    ScottL said:
    Quote:

Nick, believe it or not, GT3 is a better track car than GT2. Application of power with the turbo engine is a major reason for this.

Remarkably, this seems to be common view even among those who have already driven the new GT2. For example, a Porsche test driver asked (by me) which car he would opt for if he could have a GT3 or a GT2 for free had to think for a few seconds and then said: well, thinking of the list price I would probably have to opt for the GT2... Now, what does that tell us...

However, personally, I would not even think about buying a GT3 instead of a GT2. The GT2 seems to be a very good car. A bit boring maybe, but very good. However, let's wait for the Supertest

Quote:
    ScottL said:
    Quote:

If I had to bet, the picture is likely to change a lot with the 997GT2

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Modrocket_stereo said:

I don't think he was referring to the number of settings but the answer lies in the Scud's video.
    At one point Chris Harris says the Scud's traction control has been reprogrammed following the basic logarithms of that of the F1 cars, i.e. if you give full gas for e.g. mid-corner the traction control will apply exactly the bearable amount of torque to the wheels.

A propos Formula 1, it is quite easy to hear the action of the traction control, typicaly in the last corner before the straight-line of the Monaco GP (particularly during the free practice session).

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Erik said:
    Quote:
    ScottL said:
    Quote:

Remarkably, this seems to be common view even among those who have already driven the new GT2. For example, a Porsche test driver asked (by me) which car he would opt for if he could have a GT3 or a GT2 for free had to think for a few seconds and then said: well, thinking of the list price I would probably have to opt for the GT2... Now, what does that tell us...

However, personally, I would not even think about buying a GT3 instead of a GT2. The GT2 seems to be a very good car. A bit boring maybe, but very good. However, let's wait for the Supertest

I think RC also stated that for the track the GT3 is the car of choice.

Quote:
    WBH said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:

Not really....realize that P dealers have a much more shallow base of deep-pocketed repeat buyers than do F dealers in major mkts (many colleagues in their 30s in NYC/SF have never owned a P; only grew up w/AMG commuter cars and F wkend cars)....have been offered early [Email]GT2@MSRP[/Email] by two different CA dealers (and passed)....again, consider how low GT2 vols are: prob 200ish in yr 1 into US; then, 50ish in yr 2; and prob 10ish in yr3....

The guy who buys GT2 at MSRP (or whatever similarly absurd price) today can expect to receive some $100K upon trade-in in 12mos, no matter mileage....used GT2 buyer is a rather socio-economically "different" buyer than early new GT2 buyers...

Most repeat F buyers in SF/Greenwich get their Scuds at MSRP...and trade it in for MSRP in 6-12mos....the frugal man's sportscar ....the clueless/non-plugged-in F buyer who needs to buy Scud at mkt upon launch will prob absorb $50-70K in one-yr deprec costs...much less than GT2/65...and similar to 997TT/599 (acquired at mkt) one-yr deprec costs....

Point is: these are microscopic niche mkts...which dramatically shrink when most (image-conscious, yet cost-conscious) buyers need to consider prospect of a fast-depreciating car w/limited daily-useability....and esp if lim cachet at spots in front of power restaurants in BevHills/SF/Greenwich...where new 599/65/CL63 dominate (hard to easily differentiate a Scud/GT2 from the thousands of used, elderly P/F from gruesome parts of inland LA (or coastal/inland OC ) that converge on LA's Westside on wkends )....

Nice to live in a dream world eh?

For the rest of us, we just want to go to a dealer, order car we want, wait 2 months to get the exact specs and drive it for 2/3 years and trade it in for a likely 30/40% depreciation.

Trade in after 6m a new car? A weekend car? Am I the only one to think it is ridiculous, you can't even apreciate the car at its fullest potential.

As far as 100k 1y trade in hit for GT2 (unless not at MSRP), even if it was half true with the 996, this time it won't happen.

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    ...I have no difficulty at all reading VKSF/WBH's posts (I think JimFlat6 likened it to reading Her Majesty's telegram's ),

I am convinced WBH is really a computer with AI located in a basement inside MB Headquarter, its keyboard stuck on the forward slash and unable to do capital "i." Some background program instructing computer to repeat same message over, and over, and over...

Quote:
    997CarreraS said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:

I think that's a pretty safe bet.

Quote:
    Erik said:
    Quote:
    ScottL said:
    Quote:

I have no doubt that the GT3 is a better track car for most of the driving enthusiast. The Gt2 is a handful to drive but in the hands of someone who knows how to handle the car it would spank the GT3 with 3/4 throttle.

Ring times. GT2--7.32; GT3--7.49

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765574 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437381 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261467 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258263 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82791 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5334 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877607 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809905 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM