Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

3M clear bra removed & replaced w/ VentureShield

I had heard about a new clear bra material being touted throughout the car community, VentureShield. A new type of material that has now come to the market replacing the older 3M material still used throughout the industry. I admit that I was a bit skeptical when I first heard about VentureShield but my brother who had it applied to his new Land Rover. He convinced me to give it a try. On top of that, the shop I took it to also touted a revolutionary new detailing product that apparently is permanent using nanotechnology. I'd never have to wax/polish my car. I admit that I'm a bit skeptical about that too but it did make my car look incredible. For the record, the 3M material I originally had on the car was removed and replaced with the VentureShield material because it made the front end look like a different shade of blue. That was because of the "yellow" tint in the 3M film.

The results speak for themselves:

Removing the final matrix coating still on the car

Nice and wet looking

Fisheye shot

VentureShield material on the right

VenturShield material goes over and under the edges

Some final buffing touches

Finishing up the car

VTG intake covers

Porsche gold crest

Front end shot

Detail shot of headlight projector

Turbo badge

ATOMIC

997TT outside the shop

Re: 3M clear bra removed & replaced w/ VentureShield

Looks beautiful Jason
    How much was the new VenturShield, and how much was the entire detailing? You can pm me if you'd like. I've been wanting to take my car in for a "spring cleaning" soon. Also, where are they located, and they also do paint touch ups?

Jason,

Nice shots like always. Love your car

Looks awesome Jason! Do you have any more information on the Nanotech? I'm skeptical as well but it is worth a little more research if true... question I have is if true... what incentive does a detail shop have to sell it? It's a one shot deal and they make their money on repeat business.

Atomic80 - so far your advice has been faultless!! This product is available down here but I have never fitted a bra to any of my vehicles. Bottom line is it worth doing?

Quote:
    cortonpark said:
    Atomic80 - so far your advice has been faultless!! This product is available down here but I have never fitted a bra to any of my vehicles. Bottom line is it worth doing?

I'm not Jason, but I think it is a no brainer to have a clear bra installed, I also did not have the 3m product installed because of its yellow tinge (can't remember which brand was installed though) and it has saved me many times already. Just think, Porsche has installed a similar product already on the "hips" from the factory.

Here's the website for the matrix coating that was used on my car:

http://www.matrixmicrocoatings.com/

What they do is they first remove all the swirl marks from the car and then apply this matrix coating for added protection. I couldn't tell you if it would prevent swirl marks from ever showing up again. I'm just as new to this product as the rest of you folks.

cortonpark, its definitely worth it to get the clear bra installed because it DOES work in protecting the front end from damages incurred by rock chips, bumps, etc. What amazes me about the new VentureShield material is that there's very little if any visible orange peel. The only orange peel that I can see thus so far is the ones already in the paint underneath!

Thanks for the detailed photos and guidance Jason.

I have so far avoided any stone chips etc by allowing more braking distance between my car and the car in front of me.

Jason - cool pics as usual - I'll be interested in that detail job - PITA to keep swirls off the black...

I know what you mean about the dull yellow tinge after awhile. A friend of mine has it on a '04TT Black, 3m/dealer install, looks horrible.
    I might rethink the vetura stuff now.

I rec'd a spray bottle from installer with my 3M film. Was told you spay and wipe down 3M film after washing car. Also was told to wax film when you wax the car. Maybe this is to keep the 3M film from turning yellow.

Mike

ive been using maguires " plastix " on the 3m film when i wax a car...3yrs no yellowing or color differention even on very dark colors...gr tt no anything

Nice Pics.

I too went the VentureShielf route. I also did a little homework and found that their PPF film is of more recent tech and the one recommended now for new installs. There is one snag however. The 3M product comes with a clearcoat, while the VentureShield does not. But, this is not a disadvantage in my view.

The actual thickness of the 3M with clearcoat is identical to the Venture product without clear (3M is 6mm film + 2mm clear and Venture is 8mm with no clear, but its been some time and i could have the numbers slightly off). So, as long as you just do the usual wash and wax for the car, you can carry out the same on the PPF and get some super results. The VentureShield product isn't as stiff/rigid as the 3M product meaning it can get round odd angles that bit better.

The market over here in the UK is still relatively young for these products so we're getting fleeced lelt, right and centre (approaching Pounds800 for the full kit). I managed to do the install myself and got the product shipped from the States.

All in all, I'm soon approaching a year with the PPF up front and its a very reassuring feeling knowing that its there.

Regards

Popolou

Just stopped by Met-Detail, and scheduled my appt for next week. Jason, I noticed they have your car as their wallpaper on their computer. They will be replacing my 3M which after 2 years, has turned dull, more than yellow. Also, the "yellowing" of the 3M is caused by the adhesive used by 3M, not the actual film turning yellow. I'm also getting the full nanotech detail

Awesome, glad to hear that you were able to get things sorted out with the folks at Metro. They do amazing work! You'll be very happy with the results!

I have a feeling that they'll be using more of my pictures before too long. I just sent them a link to my photo album. And thank you for the "lesson" on why the 3M material is yellow. I didn't know that it was due to the adhesive. They must use a different type of adhesive on the VentureShield material.

Re: 3M clear bra removed & replaced w/ VentureShie

Jason, maybe you should collect royalties from the pics?

How long did the matrix thingy took? I am thinking of driving down and have it done to my car.

if I look hard enough I might be able to find a place locally to do it but it does give me an excuse to fly down I5

It took them 2 days to do the matrix coating largely because the first coating has to dry overnight. It might be possible to do it in one day but I'm not 100% positive on that. Try contacting BJ at (425) 672-8140 and ask. Tell him I sent you and he'll take care of you. BTW, they remove all the swirl marks, clean things up and get things prepped first before applying the matrix coating.

I did think about collecting royalties on my photos but then that would end up depriving you folks.

The Matrix Micro-Coatings website states that its four step "System is simply a permanent wax replacement, that lasts for as long as you own your vehicle, Guaranteed!!!"; and "Matrix Micro-Coatings is like a permanent car wax. Easy to apply, simply wax on and wax off. You'll never wax your vehicle again. The best car wax ain't car wax, it is Matrix Micro-Coatings!"

I hope Jason posts his comments about those claims in about six months.

Quote:
    JCNPB said:I hope Jason posts his comments about those claims in about six months.

Count on it!

Jason,

You definitely should be getting some royalties from many of the companies (techart, matrix etc). I have been in contact with Matrix and am trying to find a detailer in the Philadelphia area for them to work with.

Also, the warranty is for preventing oxidation and maintaining the shine of wax. Though they indicate that it will reduce the amount of swirls from ocuring, the warranty does not cover them specifically.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    I did think about collecting royalties on my photos but then that would end up depriving you folks.

Just to clarify about M-Detail, they just had a pic of your car as their background on their office/personal computer, not as a website representation. I think they pulled it off Rennlist

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    I have so far avoided any stone chips etc by allowing more braking distance between my car and the car in front of me.

Your lucky beacuse that didn't work for me, my last Boxster had a lot of FOD on the soft plastic front bumper and several nasty chips on the bonnet. My current car with 3M is still as new after over 8,000 miles.

I have a 997S Basalt Black Metallic (delivered in Feb. 2006), and I had the dealer install the 3M clear boat bra. It worked on the way home when I took delivery, protecting the car from stone scratches on the interstate.

However, with the black, it does show a line on across the front of the car, but with black, I don't see any "yellow."

I'll keep your improved car protection process in mind when I have to get the original replaced (as I assume I will have to do in the next few years).

Jim

Very nice Jason. looks 100% better than the stuff i saw on your car a few weeks ago. So far the Ventureshield has been superb. An experienced installer (I like Premier in Fremont) is super important on how your car will look. I wouldn't use any wax or polish with yellow dyes in it for obvious reasons. The product called "Plexus" is what Premier sold me and thats really all you need to keep ventureshield clean and clear (very important).

is there any price difference between 3M and Venureshield?

I use Plexus all the time for my motorcycle so I might as well use it for the Ventureshield stuff too. BTW, this is an old thread, so Ermanno, I still have the same stuff that you saw on my car a couple weeks ago. The only difference that I can see is that my coverage goes quite a bit further up the hood than yours does. Next time you wax your car wax it going away from the edge as opposed to towards the edge so you won't cause any additional wax buildup. And then finally, the prices should be about the same.

Question: cover the Porsche badge on the bonnet or not??

Unsure how good it will look with VentureShield over it...

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Question: cover the Porsche badge on the bonnet or not??

Unsure how good it will look with VentureShield over it...

When the fitter installed 3M film on my car the guy took the badge off, fitted the film underneath and then refitted the badge. It doesn't go on top of it.

Same here...he took off the badge and put the clear bra underneath.

Interesting. I haven't seen that option from the info I have seen thus far. I will propose that I want it done this way. Thanks

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762420 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435339 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260507 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257563 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80947 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872255 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807630 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM