Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Official: New Porsche Carrera T

ISUK:

Porsche marketing has always been good at creating demand   They have had many special edition models over the past 30 - 40 years that have mostly been parts bin exercises with only a few genuinely re-engineered models thrown in for good measure. The 924 Le Mans, 924 Sebring, 944 Silver Rose, 911 Carrera Club Sport, 911 40th, 911 50th, 50th anniversary Ferry Porsche 928S, Boxster RS60 to name but a few so there is nothing new going on.

The difference now is that the current market is placing far greater importance on these low run models and making them more desirable ownership propositions through the possibility of stronger residual values.

True, especially here in Germany. People have money, don't trust stock markets and/or investments, they buy real estate and...cars. Not sure how profitable this (cars) will be in the longterm run but for car enthusiasts, the current market is certainly very interesting, to say at least. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

The current "overs" market is potentially a good way to make some quick profit if you are lucky enough to secure a build slot for one of these models from a dealer. It also helps offset the hefty depreciation on the standard models if you have bought any of those - which you most likely have had to in order to get a limited run model.

The driver of the current situation is the ready availability of lease deals which are drawing in far more potential buyers and fuelling the demand. People are signing up for leases in the belief they can "own" the car for up to 12 months then simply sell it back to the dealer and either walk away with a profit or it having cost them very little at all for a weekend toy. The brand has to have strong equity though for the market to have this level of confidence and Porsche certainly does at present. This 991GT3 and 981 GT4 are great examples of this market confidence with the second owner usually taking the car on finance as well in the hope it will cost less in depreciation than an equivalent regular, S or GTS model over their period of ownership. If the lease conditions were far less attractive then we would not see the sort of premiums being achieved at present on these cars as there would be far fewer used buyers. You only have to look back five or six years to see that in times of low confidence not even Porsche special edition models were immune to eye watering depreciation. and dealers struggled to shift the Cayman R and 987 Boxster Spyder - a situation that is inconceivable today.

No depreciation on this either details.ipl indecision

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

ISUK:

- a situation that is inconceivable today.

Your analysis is spot on. Every man and his Cayman GT4 is a car investor now that we have artificially low interest rates and central banks are still printing money.

How are the sales of the Carrera T going?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55735004@N08/with/27697101368/

Nice pictures!

They sell faster than any GT3 RS ! Well, not really from what I heard from a dealer in Germany...Smiley

I think it is very difficult to get an allocation for any non-GT 911 right now.  Seems that they are heavily focused on making as many GT3, 3RS, and 2RS as possible right now and the others are scarce...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

I just can say, that my T was built last thursday and collection day is 3. may at Zuffenhausen - pics will follow...

Blueflame

blueflame:

I just can say, that my T was built last thursday and collection day is 3. may at Zuffenhausen - pics will follow...

Blueflame

kiss Looking forward to your impressions . It is a car that I would gladly have as a DD 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

...cool Smiley  so, looking forward to full specc and pics on May 4th, the latest !! Smiley

Interested in some 'musings' regarding the car too. Missed the delivery of one at my dealer.

blueflame:

Blueflame

Many congrats. Smiley

Only 2 weeks between built date and delivery. Is that the usual time span? I was told a month ago that my car was built, and I'm still waiting...

--

2018 White 911 GT3 - Delivery scheduled for April.

Gauss:
    blueflame:

Blueflame

Many congrats. Smiley

Only 2 weeks between built date and delivery. Is that the usual time span? I was told a month ago that my car was built, and I'm still waiting...

No, everything with my T-quote was not usual...I got the offer for this car just 2 days before the konfiguration-end. 

Factory delivery at Zuffenhausen is a total mess because of the Mission E construction site and the new position of the delivery center at Werk1.  But another customer of my OPC changed from factory-collection to dealer delivery and I got his place. Collection-dates for Leipzig are easier to get and you should think about it..a GT3-collection next to the race track fits good...

Blueflame

Hi guys, haven’t been around lately (too much stuff to do in the analogue life) but now I am all in for the less is more motto by slowly phasing out my professionel career towards a very tolerable level of fifty billable days or so p.a. from Spring next year Smiley

I am glad to see that the usual suspects are still around and this thread gave me a lot of smiles due to the déja vu regarding the points discussed (too expensive, not enough hp, misleading model designation, parts bin exercise etc.). Should spend more time on RT again as the discussions are big fun SmileySmiley

When I read through the thread I felt it’s time to join with a view to support the very few Porsche marketing victims who dared to buy the T as they obviously ran out of money to buy a GT3 Touring Smiley

I think you all completely missed that the T serves a special niche just perfectly: the T does not stand for Touring, it stands for Transporter – well in my case actually for dog transporter SmileySmiley

We have a lovely dog joining the family since 4 months and my corporate car will hit the used car market in about a year, hence we’ll need a new car serving as DD (car for my private business as well) and for spontaneous trips (will have plenty of time for this from Spring next year) which can seat two human beings and a four footer. We started to look for the usual suspects (SUVs, BMW Tourings and the like) but nothing really appealed to us Smiley

I wasn’t even aware of the T, when my neighbour (also a Porsche geek) brought my attention to the T: „you can have that without the rear seats – nice place to be for your dog“.Smiley

911 as a dog transporter sounded crazy to me at first, but then I started to like the idea more and more….of course I instantly was reminding Watt’s great thread with his Sun Smiley and I started to check 911 alternatives with extensive drives in 991.2 GTS Cab and 991.2 GTS Targa (allrounders maybe even replacing the beloved 981 SpyderSmiley – which is what I thought before testing these great cars, but after the testing I felt I would miss the Spyder). I even thought about a GT3 Touring (still can have an allocation), but I guess the fun may vanish if you use it as a DD.

Well, finally I settled for a T and ordered one Smiley The spec with pano-roof and tinted rear windows may go against the ethos of the car and even may trigger deployment of the RT Porsche ethos squad but hey the dog needs to stay cool and his poopies have to blow out of the car somewhow Smiley

Also I deliberately did not tick the RAS box, as it takes away a bit from the traditional 911 feeling bringing the driving experience a bit more towards the mid-engined P-cars and I want diversity (if swapping seats Spyder vs. 911). The 370 horses are good enough for a DD (straightline performance is similar to the 981 Spyder which I have no complaints about and just in case it will be easy to add some ponies to the 3.0 turbo), and the better gearbox (shorter geared and shorter throws) in combination with the small turbos spooling up quick should provide a nice driving experience at „reasonable“ speeds – probably also accompanied by a bit better sound due to less sound damping material in the T. I am a sucker for the T-interior and also like the slim hip classic 911 design. As for pricing: a similar specced Carrera (virtually adding the price for the SPASM) would be 4,800 Euros less here in Germany for my spec– no big deal if you like the T-interior, the enhanced manual and the other small design things (love to have the clean dashboard without the wart while keeping the SC performance features). Also I expect depreciation to be just a little better than for the standard Carrera (nothing dramatic though - more like the former BE late cycle model variants).

@ blueflame and the other few courageous P-marketing victims: many congrats on getting the T and let’s share real world experiences here Smiley

Cheers to everyone Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 981 Spyder Riviera-Black, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic-Black

Here's the T:

IMG_1384.JPG

--

public roads: Porsche 981 Spyder Riviera-Black, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic-Black

and here's the culprit Smiley

IMG_3163.JPG

--

Great to see you around again Smiley 

Porsche-Jeck:

and here's the culprit Smiley

IMG_3163.JPG

ahhh....that look with those eyes  love.gif

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Cheers Carlos Smiley Knowing that you are a N/A fan I will report in detail about the almost equally powered 3.8 N/A in the Spyder vs. the 3.0 TT in the T Smiley

And yes, those eyes help with making contact Smiley I had to laugh when I recently entered a Porsche Centre with a view to take some nice photos of 991.2 GT2RS, 991 R, 918 Spyder and other goodies...just before I could get my IPhone out one of the salesguys approached me and asked whether he would be allowed to take a photo of the dog Smiley

BTW he is a great P-car fan from his early days, though he did not like the 4 pot turbo (not kidding!) Smiley When they fired up a T in the showroom he showed that he loved it Smiley

--

Porsche-Jeck:

Cheers Carlos Smiley Knowing that you are a N/A fan I will report in detail about the almost equally powered 3.8 N/A in the Spyder vs. the 3.0 TT in the T Smiley

rock.gif

BTW he is a great P-car fan from his early days, though he did not like the 4 pot turbo (not kidding!) Smiley When they fired up a T in the showroom he showed that he loved it Smiley

So he is both cute AND smart! Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Wise choice P-J (as expected from you). Nearly 'fell' for a T too, but sticking to my 'Touring'-gun(s)!.

Glad someone is talking sense kiss The T could well be the perfect DD beater in the curent Carrera line up . Looking forward to your impressions on long terme . Congratulation on the new addition ( the dog ) . Seems like it is becoming a habit the put a dog in a 911 .   And all the best for the change in work life . 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Cool choice P-J! I understand your issues with dogs and 911's, I should have opted for a cage-less GT3 in order to be able to transport mine...

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Welcome back online ! Great to have you back and sharing those stupid and silly thoughts about the T-interior ! Smiley ...I have configurated the "T" many many times now (to escape some unpleasant work conditions I am in right now) and the very very item I play with is the "T-interior yellow with sportseats plus" with predominantly "black" or "GT-silver" exterior ...so, welcome to the good side of the force....SmileySmileySmiley ... On my part I assume I just got taken by the "GTS-interior" of my Cayman and this makes me comparing nearly all alternatives currently in the Porsche line-up. Delivery date would be when ?

Porker:

Cool choice P-J! I understand your issues with dogs and 911's, I should have opted for a cage-less GT3 in order to be able to transport mine...

Cage offers plenty of possibilities to strap him snuggly in harnesses indecision

--

@P-J, good to have you back my friend wink

Congratulations on the T. It’s a very nice spec.

We should open a thread about cars and dogs. My Border Collie will also get rides in the cageless GT3 kiss Hopefully it will not be too loud. 

--

Good to see you back P-J! wink Excellent choice the T kiss

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

DuckieRS:

Wise choice P-J (as expected from you). Nearly 'fell' for a T too, but sticking to my 'Touring'-gun(s)!.

Hi DuckieRS, due to my longer absence here I am not up to date with the garages of the RTers: your profile says Cayman GT4 and Vito - why not replacing the Vito with a nice 911 ? SmileySmiley

--

Gnil:

Glad someone is talking sense kiss The T could well be the perfect DD beater in the curent Carrera line up . Looking forward to your impressions on long terme . Congratulation on the new addition ( the dog ) . Seems like it is becoming a habit the put a dog in a 911 .   And all the best for the change in work life . 

Thanks Gnil Smiley Guess the dogs like the 911 concept as they have some of the car's features by themselves: (often) 4WD, short gearing, low center of gravity, rear-biased weight distribution, special smell... Smiley

--

Porker:

Hi Porker, nice to see that we all have to struggle with the same challenges Smiley I was about to give exactly the answer given by Gauss already Smiley Would be cool to meet up at the Ring again together with Gauss Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    661613 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401038 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254575 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229072 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59432 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4375 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853394 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761604 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM