Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Autobild-Walter Rohrl-997 GT2

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    You will never get a confirmation here, I tried and the best I can get from all these HvS fans here is: 'trust me, we know he is doing these laps right'.

There is no confirmation ANYWHERE, not even on Sport Auto's own website on how they do their laps, so for all we know all the laps could be of different length and they use different length to get different 'times' to their likings.

A lot of guys here will quote wiki but that wiki entry is not made by HvS or Sport Auto, so there is still no official word from HvS and Sport Auto on how they do the lap.

Yes,there is.They once published an article about the Supertest.

They have the tracks (Hockenheimring,the wet handling course and Nürburgring) for themselves.
    Many people keep talking about the track conditions.But you can't determine the conditions of a 20km long track juts like that.You can measure the asphalt and air temperature on the start finish line for example but you can be sure that 5km after that you will have different conditions.

But I think you're being a bit too sceptical.What you're basically saying is that unless you aren't there to witness every second of the test,the results aren't valid.

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    so there is still no official word from HvS and Sport Auto on how they do the lap.

As we're having this discussion from time to time here on Rennteam I recall that a fellow Rennteamer (though can't recall who it was ) emailed Sportauto with this particular question and received a satisfactory answer.

There is no conspiracy going on. It's always the same discussion: if a car shows unexpected good laptimes, some will claim that the factory has "tuned" the car - if the times are below expectations, the driver must have had a bad day

I recall the hot discussions about the "right" Z06 laptime prior to the publications of the respective Supertest. Some guys claimed the laptime will be very bad, because HvS only knows to drive Porsches and not US sportscars
    We all know the result....

The concept of the Supertest is simple: one track, one hot lap, same (reasonable fast) driver....It goes without saying that some cars may suit his driving style better than other cars, but that's true for every mortal driver as well. Hence a comparo MS driving the Scuderia vs. WR driving the GT2 would be nice to watch, but would be completely irrelevant for the normal customer buying these cars.

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    This argument is going nowhere until someone tells me if Auto Sport - with HVS - are lapping the Ring AND timing each car they post on their TOP RING TIMES always on a CLOSED course or always on a public day, AND always in the same conditions? If they aren't then the times that are posted by Auto Sport mean nothing.

The answers are: (i) yes and (ii) key weather conditions are specified in each test.

Quote:
    Ziggy said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Hmm, I kinda start seeing a trend, make 'god' HvS's weakness is driving AWD cars, the extra traction just confuses his brain.

I skipped the 996 Turbo because I don't think it has enough performance for the price, even when I absolutely LOVED that car's styling and especially the headlamp design. I hated the bug eyes on the 997 Turbo but I still bought one because of the improved performance.

I do not and probably will not go even to 7/10 of the car and I probably used maybe 3/10 of it everyday. But within that 3/10 I felt there was a major improvement over the 996 Turbo and THAT was the reason I bought it.

For the pundits like MKSGR, what's your beef? The car is super fast but only in the right hands, and don't quote HvS because he has already shown the world that he is incapable of extracting a good time out of the 997 Turbo when WR has no problem going fast in one.

Your logic has a serious flaw. Why was HvS so quick in the 996TT? Why was he so quick in the Gallardo? Why was he so quick in the LP640?

You don' honestly believe that he is quick in all the above AWD cars but suddenly screws it in the 997TT.

Again, you and turbosteff try to justify the 997TT because you bought one. I understand that it is hard to accept the obvious in that situation. BTW: there are a few 997TT owners on Renntean which fully accept the critical arguments regarding the 997TT AWD concept. And some of them use way more than 3/10 of the car's potential

Markus, you forgot to mention that it's the 997TT that is hardly an improvement over the 996TT. I would wager that a 996TT X50 with the LSD and X73 would tear the 997TT a new rectum around the NS .

Absolutely correct.

The 997TT has (compared to the 996TT tested with a NBR time of 7:56 in 2000):

- 60hp more
    - Cup tires that are (based on Porsche statements) up to 7s faster per NBR lap
    - LSD
    - same or slightly less weight
    - new AWD.

The result of all this: 2s faster than the old 996TT... But hey, I forgot, it is just that HvS had a bad day when he tested the 997TT. The car is so much faster than its predecessor from the 90s

Your argumentation (Crash and MKSGR) make once more perfect sense but I think Kreso got the info from a Porsche engineer that the 996tt's 7.56 time never really happened and is just a "dreamed" lap time.

Do you believe in this not too plausible reasoning of Porsche I don't

BTW: 7:56 is not a very good number. Compared to all other Porsches of that time 7:56 makes perfect sense (GT2, 996 old GT3 etc.)

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    997 Turbo on the other hand had a different AWD tuning, one with more front drive. With all the extra electronic helper it is tuned to be safe and easier on the street, but what is good for the street maybe not work the same on a track, plus it was never tuned for the track.

Here I will not oppose. The PTM setup might serve a purpose. I only criticize that the new 997TT is not a faster car on the NBR compared to the 996TT. That does not imply that the new PTM/PASM mix might not be good for other uses

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:

There is no confirmation ANYWHERE, not even on Sport Auto's own website on how they do their laps, so for all we know all the laps could be of different length and they use different length to get different 'times' to their likings.

Frankly, stating that their test laps could be "of different lengths to get times to their liking" is really the utmost BS I could imagine. Please discontinue posting such nonsense. Before writing such stuff it is better to just read. Rennteam should maintain a certain standard. Sorry.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Ziggy said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Hmm, I kinda start seeing a trend, make 'god' HvS's weakness is driving AWD cars, the extra traction just confuses his brain.

I skipped the 996 Turbo because I don't think it has enough performance for the price, even when I absolutely LOVED that car's styling and especially the headlamp design. I hated the bug eyes on the 997 Turbo but I still bought one because of the improved performance.

I do not and probably will not go even to 7/10 of the car and I probably used maybe 3/10 of it everyday. But within that 3/10 I felt there was a major improvement over the 996 Turbo and THAT was the reason I bought it.

For the pundits like MKSGR, what's your beef? The car is super fast but only in the right hands, and don't quote HvS because he has already shown the world that he is incapable of extracting a good time out of the 997 Turbo when WR has no problem going fast in one.

Your logic has a serious flaw. Why was HvS so quick in the 996TT? Why was he so quick in the Gallardo? Why was he so quick in the LP640?

You don' honestly believe that he is quick in all the above AWD cars but suddenly screws it in the 997TT.

Again, you and turbosteff try to justify the 997TT because you bought one. I understand that it is hard to accept the obvious in that situation. BTW: there are a few 997TT owners on Renntean which fully accept the critical arguments regarding the 997TT AWD concept. And some of them use way more than 3/10 of the car's potential

Markus, you forgot to mention that it's the 997TT that is hardly an improvement over the 996TT. I would wager that a 996TT X50 with the LSD and X73 would tear the 997TT a new rectum around the NS .

Absolutely correct.

The 997TT has (compared to the 996TT tested with a NBR time of 7:56 in 2000):

- 60hp more
    - Cup tires that are (based on Porsche statements) up to 7s faster per NBR lap
    - LSD
    - same or slightly less weight
    - new AWD.

The result of all this: 2s faster than the old 996TT... But hey, I forgot, it is just that HvS had a bad day when he tested the 997TT. The car is so much faster than its predecessor from the 90s

Your argumentation (Crash and MKSGR) make once more perfect sense but I think Kreso got the info from a Porsche engineer that the 996tt's 7.56 time never really happened and is just a "dreamed" lap time.

Do you believe in this not too plausible reasoning of Porsche I don't

BTW: 7:56 is not a very good number. Compared to all other Porsches of that time 7:56 makes perfect sense (GT2, 996 old GT3 etc.)

When Kreso mentioned this, I interpreted it as an insider 's info and not as a Porsche's marketing play, otherwise I would have not brought it on the table, of course I trust the SA's Supertest results above all.

Quote:
    Walter said:
    Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    You will never get a confirmation here, I tried and the best I can get from all these HvS fans here is: 'trust me, we know he is doing these laps right'.

A lot of guys here will quote wiki but that wiki entry is not made by HvS or Sport Auto, so there is still no official word from HvS and Sport Auto on how they do the lap.

They have the tracks (Hockenheimring,the wet handling course and Nürburgring) for themselves.
    Many people keep talking about the track conditions.But you can't determine the conditions of a 20km long track juts like that.You can measure the asphalt and air temperature on the start finish line for example but you can be sure that 5km after that you will have different conditions.

But I think you're being a bit too sceptical.What you're basically saying is that unless you aren't there to witness every second of the test,the results aren't valid.

So are you saying EVERY lap time posted by Auto Sport in their magazine has occurred on a Supertest day, ie in a closed circuit track? I highly doubt that.

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    Quote:
    Walter said:
    Quote:
    Whoopsy said:

So are you saying EVERY lap time posted by Auto Sport in their magazine has occurred on a Supertest day, ie in a closed circuit track? I highly doubt that.

I'm sorry, but what you are saying is stupid. They have the track to themselves and it is closed off for other traffic when they test it. You stating otherwise like some sort of expert with no evidence to back up your claims makes your statement libelous.

I guess since I am late to the game and missed the article, I am skeptical of the Supertest. They may have published an article sometime ago about their test, but why not put that article up on their website as a reference for everyone to see their standard? My point is that in the beginning they may well do have access of the complete track to do lap tests, but with more and more events and factory booking the track, Sport Auto may not have the financial or the connections anymore to command the same thing for later tests and hence no reference to the closed course anymore.

Even IF the later tests are all conducted with closed course, it only reflect HvS's ability in those cars, not everyone here.

Which brings me back to my original point, what are we debating here, the absolute fastest time a car can do or a arbitrary time produced by a certain someone, and in this case it will be HvS. If we are talking about the first one, then factory times are what we should based the debate off.

If we are talking about the second one, then it's more like we are debating HvS's ability than the car's ability. HvS may be a competent driver and knows the ring well, but he is still human and I am pretty sure he will be more comfortable and faster driving a certain type of cars and slower in others.

I doubt anyone here has the ability to come close to HvS's driving skills much less WR, so we will need to step down another notch to future the comparisons.

A lot of you here quite possibly upgraded from the 996 Turbo to the 997 Turbo, and I hope a few of these people also do regular track days, I think they would be able to provide feedback on the improvements or lack of between the 2 cars, and quite possibly the difference in lap times. I think this will be real world enough to settle whether the 997 Turbo was faster than a 996 Turbo.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    RR4 said:
    Quote:
    Walter said:
    Quote:
    Whoopsy said:

I'm sorry, but what you are saying is stupid. They have the track to themselves and it is closed off for other traffic when they test it. You stating otherwise like some sort of expert with no evidence to back up your claims makes your statement libelous.

And you know this by fact, or is this something you heard over the internet.
    Bottomline is there is no conclusive evidence anywhere which states exactly how the cars today and 6 years ago were timed on the Ring. Sorry.

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    Bottomline is there is no conclusive evidence anywhere which states exactly how the cars today and 6 years ago were timed on the Ring. Sorry.

Again,they published an article where they explain how the Supertest is done.The tracks are closed for the public.

Look at the videos on their website.Tell us if you see another car.

Someone wanna dig that article up and scan it?

This really has turned into a hearsay without evidence to back up those claims.

Same idea like all of you who are skeptical of the factory claimed times without so called independent verification.

WR did a back to back runs within a second of each other, I think that's enough verification for the GT2 times. But what about HvS's times? Any other verifications?

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Someone wanna dig that article up and scan it?

This really has turned into a hearsay without evidence to back up those claims.

Same idea like all of you who are skeptical of the factory claimed times without so called independent verification.

WR did a back to back runs within a second of each other, I think that's enough verification for the GT2 times. But what about HvS's times? Any other verifications?

I have read this article as well. However, the article was in German and was published 2-3 years ago (if I had to guess). You might contact SportAuto. They are likely to send you a copy of that article but they might charge a small amount for that service.

BTW: SportAuto has changed the 997TT NBR time (Cup tires, Manual, LSD) from 7:54 to 7:52 after redoing the NBR test with a different car. HvS mentions that this new 997TT handled better than the Supertest 997TT.

However, even with such special treatment (second test with different car!) the NBR time is still not convincing (given that the car had Cup tires). This highlights the validity of all compalins based on the 997TT Supertest. The car is not quicker than that even after several runs.

Another highly interesting point: the 997TT Cab (70kg heavier than the Coupe) tested in the same issue was >.5s faster (!) on the HHR than the 997TT Coupe! They mention that the setup of the Cab is better for fast driving than the setup of the Coupe...

All this seems to confirm that Porsche really srewed the AWD/PTM and PASM setup of the 997TT Hope they do it better on the GT2.

Markus,
    All 997 Turbo's from MY08 feature little bit different PASM and PTM setup(software). Second 997 Turbo that Horst tried on Nordschleife features these small changes... Porsche learned a lot from costumer experience belive me... BTW, these changes are really small but, they are good enough for better track times on both Hockenheim and Nordschleife...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Markus,
    All 997 Turbo's from MY08 feature little bit different PASM and PTM setup(software). Second 997 Turbo that Horst tried on Nordschleife features these small changes... Porsche learned a lot from costumer experience belive me... BTW, these changes are really small but, they are good enough for better track times on both Hockenheim and Nordschleife...

Interesting indeed

BTW: I was impressed to hear from Porsche developers/testers how much pressure the development/testing crew gets from Porsche's board of directors as a consequence of the poor Sportauto Supertest. This highlights how important these Supertests have becom for the OEMs Maybe we can expect a much better 998TT then

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Markus,

We can only hope that these changes can be retrofitted to earlier production 997TT as well...

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Whoopsy said:

My friend Markus on your crusade against Porsche you might lost the ability to read posts accurately. I doubt the supertest and HvS in general. I posted this here and in different boards. If you imply that I only want to justify my TT you are completely wrong. I am not slave to HvS ring times to make decisions what car to buy. Let me argue in your style : you had the 996TT and you take delight in posting the 996TT is faster than the 997TT based on the HvS times. That's childish.
    If somebody is not in complete agreement with you and HvS lap time than you write the posts are BS.
    BS for me is to write that 7,32 for GT2 are times from fantasy. Now the fantasy became true in an independent magazine.
    BS for me is to judge a car (Z06,997TT, and so on) based on one flying lap of one person. An engineer in my business would be fired for such statement if he has only this database.

You wrote you are skeptical towards factory claims in general. If you are only 1% skeptical towards HvS times would be nice. It will help us in Munich in November!

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    RR4 said:
    Quote:
    Walter said:
    Quote:
    Whoopsy said:

RR4, a Rennteam member asked SA about the lap times a few years ago. Their methods have remained constant since the beginning. Granted, the best benchmark would be to get the factory drivers of the respective cars and drive the laps on the sane day. However, since this can't be done, using the same driver to drive all the cars in an environment that is kept as similar as possible (they select the track days so that the weather and track conditions are as identical as possible) is the best you can get. Close enough for me and the best, most unbiased benchmark in existence (I don't trust Porsche's factory times).

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    All 997 Turbo's from MY08 feature little bit different PASM and PTM setup(software).

May I add something in these heated discussions? In the recent SportAuto (yes, that's the magazine we are talking about...) the 997TT convertible achieved a laptime in Hockenheim half a second better than the coupe. They referred to a much more controlled, convincing behaviour at the limit. This, and the above mentioned fact that Porsche will alter the coupe's setup for MY08, should be enough food for thought...

Quote:
    turbosteff said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Whoopsy said:

My friend Markus on your crusade against Porsche you might lost the ability to read posts accurately. I doubt the supertest and HvS in general. I posted this here and in different boards. If you imply that I only want to justify my TT you are completely wrong. I am not slave to HvS ring times to make decisions what car to buy. Let me argue in your style : you had the 996TT and you take delight in posting the 996TT is faster than the 997TT based on the HvS times. That's childish.
    If somebody is not in complete agreement with you and HvS lap time than you write the posts are BS.
    BS for me is to write that 7,32 for GT2 are times from fantasy. Now the fantasy became true in an independent magazine.
    BS for me is to judge a car (Z06,997TT, and so on) based on one flying lap of one person. An engineer in my business would be fired for such statement if he has only this database.

You wrote you are skeptical towards factory claims in general. If you are only 1% skeptical towards HvS times would be nice. It will help us in Munich in November!

You can be sceptical about the Supertest as much as you like.

However, you should accept that you are in a minority here Fact is that most informed board members here do respect the Supertest a lot.

Stephan, there is no other benchmark available. You might of course take buying decisions on the basis of nothing but OEM claims. However, this requires a huge amount of naivity.

A naivity which I and most informed board members don't share with you

P.S.: Apparently, you have not even read the above news on the 997TT. This confirms what I have written about the 997TT. The Supertest result was NOT a coincidence. Even a second try did not significantly improve the NBR time. And also: Porsche might have changed the 997TT setup already and they are in the process of faceliftng the car to improve its performance.

Quote:
    turbosteff said:
    you had the 996TT and you take delight in posting the 996TT is faster than the 997TT based on the HvS times.

You forgot to mention why I did not order a 997TT: I did not order it as I am not satisfied with the package. And it is also true that I would have loved to order a 997TT. You know that better than most of us.

And - with all due respect - you also missed another important point: we on Rennteam discussed the 997TT's shortcomings more than 18 months ago. A time when you not even considered buying a Porsche

You should realize that some around here are much deeper into the subject as you are

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    All 997 Turbo's from MY08 feature little bit different PASM and PTM setup(software).

May I add something in these heated discussions? In the recent SportAuto (yes, that's the magazine we are talking about...) the 997TT convertible achieved a laptime in Hockenheim half a second better than the coupe. They referred to a much more controlled, convincing behaviour at the limit. This, and the above mentioned fact that Porsche will alter the coupe's setup for MY08, should be enough food for thought...

Absolutely agree

Facts are very conclusive...

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    turbosteff said:
    you had the 996TT and you take delight in posting the 996TT is faster than the 997TT based on the HvS times.

You forgot to mention why I did not order a 997TT: I did not order it as I am not satisfied with the package. And it is also true that I would have loved to order a 997TT. You know that better than most of us.

And - with all due respect - you also missed another important point: we on Rennteam discussed the 997TT's shortcomings more than 18 months ago. A time when you not even considered buying a Porsche

You should realize that some around here are much deeper into the subject as you are

I think the French have a word for such incidences:

"Touché!"

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    turbosteff said:

I think the French have a word for such incidences:

"Touché!"

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Markus,

Pleased to see P R&D finally waking up from their slumber....

But, as a casual observer reviewing both 599 and Scud tech interfaces, seems to me that cars w/latest-tech chassis/drivetrain computer networks are no longer compatible w/Luddite gearboxes (which seem to destabilize chassis/drivetrain dynamics of 599; the few 599 built w/Luddite boxes have disappointed even the elderly Luddite owners ; and F gave up trying to solve the interface issues )....

Fact that GT2/3 and 997TT still have Luddite boxes reflects how primitive are P's tech networks (PASM, PSM, PTM, etc)....suspect that a quick drive on a set of familiar, bumpy public mtn twisties comparing 599/Scud vs 997TT/GT2 will quickly reveal which is/are optimally sorted vs real-world variables, not just a smooth, dry, private track....

Great to see mkt competitive forces like upcoming Dino and SL63BS forcing P to wake up its lethargic R&D effort ....this 997TT 2.0 vaporware announcement seems to indicate that P was forced to accelerate/revise its prior, sclerotic product tech cycle planning....

It would be shocking but not surprising the 997TT cab beat or equals the 997TT coupe on the NBR if Porsche "fixed" the PTM/PASM...

They would then introduce the facelifted coupe with fixed setup, DFI and 20more hp, and DSK... iPod and bluetooth are still just a dream... Just what the 997TT coupe should have been when introduced. Only question is when will this happen, 08 or 09 CY?

WBH,

Few days ago one Motorpresse journalist drove 997 GT2 around Stuttgart area... He overtook 599 GTB without any effort on windy road... In fact Playboy in 599 almost ended in nearby tree...

In drive dynamics and sheer agility 997 GT2(and 430 Scuderia-at least I hope so) are in all different league from 599... Sorry!

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    It would be shocking but not surprising the 997TT cab beat or equals the 997TT coupe on the NBR if Porsche "fixed" the PTM/PASM...

They would then introduce the facelifted coupe with fixed setup, DFI and 20more hp, and DSK... iPod and bluetooth are still just a dream... Just what the 997TT coupe should have been when introduced. Only question is when will this happen, 08 or 09 CY?

Both 997 Turbo-cabrio and coupe MY08 have same PASM and PTM setup. Only PASM setup on cabrio is little bit different(slightly softer)...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776736 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441521 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262683 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260821 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85097 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5500 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880529 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815663 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM