Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

That's really not true, as owners here can confirm. The difference between ludicrous mode and not is like a tenth or two. Also, I bet a Tesla leaves most cars in the dust just slamming the throttle. Probably would take a 911 Turbo off the line like that.

Remember, you can't actually launch a car every time you want to accelerate hard. You'd embarrass yourself holding the revs all day at an intersection.

can the GT2RS be ordered with street-tires and no semi-s ?  No ? IF yes than it's comparable with a 720 of not it's surely not comparable....

I'm sure it can be, but then the lap times tank and the car isn't quite what it's made out to be.

noone1:

That's really not true, as owners here can confirm. The difference between ludicrous mode and not is like a tenth or two. Also, I bet a Tesla leaves most cars in the dust just slamming the throttle. Probably would take a 911 Turbo off the line like that.

Remember, you can't actually launch a car every time you want to accelerate hard. You'd embarrass yourself holding the revs all day at an intersection.

I never use launch control, I just floor it. What is weird (R8): Sometimes, the car jumps forward as if a rocket has just been ignited (did that once in Italy with a motorcycle next to me and that guy passed me afterwards, showing me thumbs up with both(!) hands Smiley and sometimes it takes 1/10 of a second before the car pulls off (still pretty fast compared to other cars I've driven). Smiley Haven't figured it out yet but compared to my R8, my 991.1 C4 GTS has a lag. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:

I never use launch control, I just floor it. What is weird (R8): Sometimes, the car jumps forward as if a rocket has just been ignited (did that once in Italy with a motorcycle next to me and that guy passed me afterwards, showing me thumbs up with both(!) hands Smiley and sometimes it takes 1/10 of a second before the car pulls off (still pretty fast compared to other cars I've driven). 

I have experienced that with a lot of cars equipped with DSG (incl. Audi) and find that to be one of the annoyances of this technology. The torque converter on an automatic gearbox shows an identical pattern every time you launch the car in a similiar fashion, irrespective of any data and algorithms to actuate the clutches.

720S vs both supercharged and turbo charged Huracans. Look like the white one might be RWD too.

RC:
    noone1:

Have you ever looked into buying an old LP550? Manual transmission, similar engine as the Performante, RWD... probably overall a more involving experience. Many aftermarket exhaust options too.

The Gallardo is so bad compared to the Huracan, not even sure why you mention it.

I drove the old R8 and the new one back to back once and was surprised how bad the old one was (so happy I didn't get a used one).

Similar engine to Performante? Are you kidding? The Huracan engine shares maybe less than 5%(!) parts with the Gallardo engine, the V10 engine for the Huracan and R8 has been completely redesigned, even if the specs are similar.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

I have a friend who owns the Gallardo (he does lots of mods/service himself) and he claims that in the future the Gallardo will worth more than the Huracan. Huracan production numbers>>Gallardo numbers...

In the long-term, I agree, it will be worth more. Possibly manual, possibly lower production, less advanced and probably easier to repair.

noone1:

In the long-term, I agree, it will be worth more. Possibly manual, possibly lower production, less advanced and probably easier to repair.

In that case I'm looking forward to a cheap hurricane. 

TB993tt:
    Whoopsy:

As of right now, Porsche is not quite in direct competition with McLaren in the consumer market place.

McLaren buyers are mostly from disgruntle Ferrari buyers who couldn't get an allocations. And fed up Lamborghini buyers who don't want to look like pimps and douchebags.

The ones that jumped ship from Porsche to McLaren are someone who wants to try something unique, different.

The doors is a big draw, but that's only for people who doesn't want to be discreet. 

The performance is also a big draw, the 570 is great 'value', and the 720 is the top dog benchmark right now.

These arguments mostly applied to 'normal' car buyers though, for serial buyers or collectors, they are just getting another car for the stable, not replacing anything. 

Now on the other side of the coin, for people that looks for reliability, Porsche is still king reputation wise.

Their race cars can last a 24hr race and more, while the McLaren can do 24 minutes at best before blowing up. Ferrari still has the reputation of breaking down and Lamborghini, well they go up in flames. 

Could this be changing with Porsche pricing approaching McLaren levels ?

I was more or less told I wouldn't be getting a GT2RS by my dealer this weekend, they have 126 people who want one and I haven't bought enough cars from them in comparison to other better customers, purely business it seems and whilst they all seem to believe that the overs market will continue unabated and all GT2RSs will instantly show a 50K + profit they have to look after the people who have "looked after" them.

Following this I went to our local McLaren showroom (it is nearbye) and sat in the 720S and chewed the fat with the sales people. I am probably the most die hard Porsche guy on here (next to Leawood) having driven exclusively 911s since 1988 and I am seriously thinking about a change, I don't want to but I am finding it hard to channel my car emotions to a brand who IMO are not looking after their core support Smiley

On a Mclaren note, notice the measured torque figure, 771NM @ 6930rpm and peak power at 7580rpm that means the power curve is flat at right around 750PS for 650rpm, that is a LOT of power - an exciting Ricardo engine Smiley 

The hype for the GT2RS is definitely not helping loyal owners at all. The dealers with profit first mentality also isn't doing Porsche AG a favor either.

McLaren with it's newcomer status is gaining ground for sure. They don't have a lot of 'existing' loyal owners, basically everyone is a brand new buyer.

And yes, that new 4.0L engine is a beast of a motor!

--

wantone:
    RC:
    noone1:

Have you ever looked into buying an old LP550? Manual transmission, similar engine as the Performante, RWD... probably overall a more involving experience. Many aftermarket exhaust options too.

The Gallardo is so bad compared to the Huracan, not even sure why you mention it.

I drove the old R8 and the new one back to back once and was surprised how bad the old one was (so happy I didn't get a used one).

Similar engine to Performante? Are you kidding? The Huracan engine shares maybe less than 5%(!) parts with the Gallardo engine, the V10 engine for the Huracan and R8 has been completely redesigned, even if the specs are similar.

--

I have a friend who owns the Gallardo (he does lots of mods/service himself) and he claims that in the future the Gallardo will worth more than the Huracan. Huracan production numbers>>Gallardo numbers...

Difficult to say. If I go by production numbers, my R8 should be worth a fortune in the future because Audi produced only  a small quantity compared to the massive production numbers of the old R8. Smiley

Some Gallardo models could be worth a lot in the future (Superleggera and such special models) but the regular models? Have you ever driven one? Just do it and then drive a Huracan. You'd have the surprise of your life, difference is huge and the Huracan even sounds better. Smiley

Once interest rates go up again, the whole used sportscars and "classic" cars market bubble will collapse. So cars isn't really something I would invest in, unless of course I collect cars like the McLaren F1 and such. Smiley

--

0-170 in 13.6secs...Smiley

720-1509643292.jpg

McLaren has really become a master of traction control systems, their software setup is probably the best on the market (though I heard that the new GT2 RS has a similar perfect setup). I wish AMG would learn from them. 

--

P15 reveal in 2 weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBCxlbuP5hM

720S at Atco

Resized_SmartSelectImage_2017-11-20-11-17-48_1230.jpg

Nice video. I’m a big fan of the 570S.. the spider looks quite a thing..

BTW Jethro - a coop is where you keep chickens 

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

"New McLaren 720S GT3 racer lands with major motorsport push" (Autocar)

Woking car maker is opening 10 retail locations for its racing machines and a new GT series...

(21 November 2017)

McLaren is using the reveal of its new 720S GT3 racing car as a catalyst for a major expansion in its global motorsport reach.

The Woking car maker’s new racer will begin track testing in 2018 before being eligible for competition with customer teams in 2019.

It will pick up from the 650S GT3, which has garnered four titles including the Australian GT Championship and Blancpain GT Series Endurance Cup since it succeeded the 12C GT3, becoming McLaren Automotive’s top racing model.

Power will come from a race-prepared version of the road 720S’s M840T twin-turbocharged 4.0-litre V8, driving the rear wheels through a six-speed sequential gearbox.

Race-spec bodywork and adjustable dampers with coilover springs are bespoke to the racer, although the Monocage II structure is shared with the road model.

The 720S GT3’s arrival also signals the launch of a new McLaren Automotive motorsport dealer network. McLaren Glasgow will be the first of 10 international retailers across Europe, North America and the Asia-Pacific region offering the brand’s competition cars.

Alongside its new retailer network, McLaren Automotive is also following Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini by launching its own one-make racing series. The McLaren-GT racing series kicks off next year and will feature its 570S GT4.

These less highly strung competition models will compete on European circuits, with Silverstone and Spa-Francorchamps the first to be confirmed for the calendar. The series will be operated in an ‘arrive and drive’ format.

Additionally, McLaren Automotive is investing in four drivers via its newly formed Driver Development Programme, which is tasked with finding and nurturing future GT racing talent. Young hopefuls Jordan Albert, Charlie Fagg, Michael O’Brien and Lewis Proctor will be mentored by Rob Bell, McLaren’s factory GT driver, and compete in 570S GT4 racers from next year.

McLaren’s racing expansion falls under its road car arm, McLaren Automotive, which recently became the McLaren Group’s largest division with 2100 employees. The company’s Formula 1 programme is handled by McLaren Racing.

Autocar Link: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motorsport-british-gt/new-mclaren-720s-gt3-racer-lands-major-motorsport-push

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5vv5GgWxVI

Pointless drag race but still cool to watch.

Boxster Coupe GTS:

"New McLaren 720S GT3 racer lands with major motorsport push" (Autocar)

Woking car maker is opening 10 retail locations for its racing machines and a new GT series...

(21 November 2017)

McLaren is using the reveal of its new 720S GT3 racing car as a catalyst for a major expansion in its global motorsport reach.

The Woking car maker’s new racer will begin track testing in 2018 before being eligible for competition with customer teams in 2019.

It will pick up from the 650S GT3, which has garnered four titles including the Australian GT Championship and Blancpain GT Series Endurance Cup since it succeeded the 12C GT3, becoming McLaren Automotive’s top racing model.

Power will come from a race-prepared version of the road 720S’s M840T twin-turbocharged 4.0-litre V8, driving the rear wheels through a six-speed sequential gearbox.

Race-spec bodywork and adjustable dampers with coilover springs are bespoke to the racer, although the Monocage II structure is shared with the road model.

The 720S GT3’s arrival also signals the launch of a new McLaren Automotive motorsport dealer network. McLaren Glasgow will be the first of 10 international retailers across Europe, North America and the Asia-Pacific region offering the brand’s competition cars.

Alongside its new retailer network, McLaren Automotive is also following Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini by launching its own one-make racing series. The McLaren-GT racing series kicks off next year and will feature its 570S GT4.

These less highly strung competition models will compete on European circuits, with Silverstone and Spa-Francorchamps the first to be confirmed for the calendar. The series will be operated in an ‘arrive and drive’ format.

Additionally, McLaren Automotive is investing in four drivers via its newly formed Driver Development Programme, which is tasked with finding and nurturing future GT racing talent. Young hopefuls Jordan Albert, Charlie Fagg, Michael O’Brien and Lewis Proctor will be mentored by Rob Bell, McLaren’s factory GT driver, and compete in 570S GT4 racers from next year.

McLaren’s racing expansion falls under its road car arm, McLaren Automotive, which recently became the McLaren Group’s largest division with 2100 employees. The company’s Formula 1 programme is handled by McLaren Racing.

Autocar Link: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motorsport-british-gt/new-mclaren-720s-gt3-racer-lands-major-motorsport-push

And the major advantage of the car vs other street cars with be neutered in racing.

The engine output will be capped.

Suspension will also be changed to racing setup which will be different than the street car. The gearbox is also changed.

Let's see how that goes.

Maybe they will trickle some racing stuff down to street car like how Porsche does it.

--

Topspeed:

I have no idea how this clown has not been arrested for racing on public highways.  This is beyond pointless; it is stupid.   

What's the problem? It's more or less divided and no where near anyone.

Seriously what, RC?

CGX car nut:
    Topspeed:

I have no idea how this clown has not been arrested for racing on public highways.  This is beyond pointless; it is stupid.   

Pointless?  This is still a car forum, right?  I suspect very little on this site makes sense from that perspective. Now gently remove the tampon. 

noone1:

Seriously what, RC?

Your "what's the problem". 

I like driving fast but what these guys are doing on a public road is simply dumb.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2017), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    noone1:

Seriously what, RC?

Your "what's the problem". 

I like driving fast but what these guys are doing on a public road is simply dumb.

Not only dumb, but frankly also embarrasing... go to a track and learn how to drive those cars around bends like they are meant to and not pointless straightline acceleration "races" on the street, big deal, give the winner a cookie please  1325269639981rolleyes.gif

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

So, RC, aside from claiming you can scare passengers with your driving skills, you also say the following about driving your R8.

Today we had rain and believe it or not but the car is amazing in rain. At some point I got scared because I was way too fast and I didn't trust my own feeling anymore (new car and all...). Seems to be tire/AWD system related but on wet pavement, believe me, no super sportscar has a chance against this thing, absolutely amazing and very surprising. 

The R8 needs two major improvements: Tires and...chassis. This morning we had some driving fun around lake Garda and when tire temp passes 60 deg C, the tires are done. Also I forgot to reactivate ESP in Performance mode Dry and learned almost the hard way that even at speeds around 80-100 kph, the base setup of the R8 could need some overhaul. Apparently I scared the sh.t out of the other drivers when I slipped along a rock face at a couple of centimeters distance. Mid engined cars, especially the R8, don't really love spontaneous load alterations (not sure this is the right English word for it...). There might be a video of this... 

So RC and other RT remembers get a pass on driving recklessly and doing dumb stuff on public roads, but this guy is so terrible for doing some straight line pulls on an empty highway.

Riiiiiiiiiiight.....

Here you go... (no stripes...makes the car more stealth but I may add them eventually because people usually don't seem to recognize the car without the stripes). People are very impressed when they see the 360 kph speedo... (top speed is 322 kph but I have 335 kph in my car documents (tuning), however the car easily passes 340...never tried it though, too dangerous, my personal top speed was a GPS measured 321 kph and I was scared as hell, I usually don't go over 280-300 kph in this car).

noone1:

So, RC, aside from claiming you can scare passengers with your driving skills, you also say the following about driving your R8.

Today we had rain and believe it or not but the car is amazing in rain. At some point I got scared because I was way too fast and I didn't trust my own feeling anymore (new car and all...). Seems to be tire/AWD system related but on wet pavement, believe me, no super sportscar has a chance against this thing, absolutely amazing and very surprising. 

The R8 needs two major improvements: Tires and...chassis. This morning we had some driving fun around lake Garda and when tire temp passes 60 deg C, the tires are done. Also I forgot to reactivate ESP in Performance mode Dry and learned almost the hard way that even at speeds around 80-100 kph, the base setup of the R8 could need some overhaul. Apparently I scared the sh.t out of the other drivers when I slipped along a rock face at a couple of centimeters distance. Mid engined cars, especially the R8, don't really love spontaneous load alterations (not sure this is the right English word for it...). There might be a video of this... 

So RC and other RT remembers get a pass on driving recklessly and doing dumb stuff on public roads, but this guy is so terrible for doing some straight line pulls on an empty highway.

Riiiiiiiiiiight.....

First one was on an old airfield and second one was on a "controlled" mountain road with no side roads (a car with a two way radio was driving ahead of the pack, same thing in the back), where the worst what could happen was damaging my car or maybe kill myself but nobody else. Speeds were, believe it or not, in the legal range, especially in rain.

Last but not least...professional drivers only. 😎

Nice try though...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Ah, so then why do you have an R8 if you never drive above the speed limit on normal roads? Why waste all that money if you're only ever driving slow when there are other cars within sight?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688869 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408851 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255603 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234844 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65440 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857701 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773617 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM