Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Official: New Porsche Carrera T

SciFrog:

THE 911 to have is a GT3 touring with PDK and rear seats (until a convertible version of it is made).

Sadly that car does not exist...

Yes, something I never understood. Porsche could have sold tons of cars...tons. Now it is basically too late.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

I think they were too afraid that it would kill the GTS sales which have higher profit margins (for now angelangry). Only when they will have that unicorn car at the price point they want will they release it (ie close to $200k). It makes so much sense that this is no doubt it is what they have planned...

RC:
    Porsche could have sold tons of cars...tons. Now it is basically too late.

I don't think Porsche is suffering from a lack of demand for its current GT offerings...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

But the T (or standard C2 for that matter) makes for a fun car in speed-limited countries like the UK. I have much more fun time in my C2 than I did with my C2S or C4S and whilst I get the GT car attraction - I doubt I could leave it at the station.

--

991 Carrera Black Edition, XC90 Black\Black - 2 kids, 1 dog

Grant:
    RC:
    Porsche could have sold tons of cars...tons. Now it is basically too late.

I don't think Porsche is suffering from a lack of demand for its current GT offerings...

True but they could sell more GT cars (doesn't seem the current Carrera is a best seller but I don't have a clue about the official numbers).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2017), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:

True but they could sell more GT cars (doesn't seem the current Carrera is a best seller but I don't have a clue about the official numbers).

Don't know about other markets, but in the US the wait lists are longer than the total available allocations already...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Lars997:

From all my cars I loved the 997C2 X51 the most so far. It was just right.

same here, I prefer my old club coupe with X51, 381hp, over my other 2 911 for regular city (no highway) driving.  I can full throttle (sometimes) and upshift with it.  The other 2 will get me into trouble faster.

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

From what I'm see,  the current 991.2 Carrera sales - excluding Turbo models don't seem to be hot sellers. Pre-owned sales are up along with prices. GT3  & GTS sales are strong. It will be very interesting to see the 911 model mix for second half of 2018 and first half of 2019. 

--

2016 Porsche 991 Carrera GTS  Black with AeroKit Cup Package,  2017 Porsche Cayenne Platinum  Purpurite Metallic, New York

Targa Tim:
    Lars997:

same here, I prefer my old club coupe with X51, 381hp, over my other 2 911 for regular city (no highway) driving.  I can full throttle (sometimes) and upshift with it.  The other 2 will get me into trouble faster.

That's exactly what I meant! 👍 

Lars997:

OK - and now we are back to the topic. The T makes sense but it lacks the image. It is the same problem what the Cayman or Boxster has. Probably the best and most fun Porsche's out there. It is the image which keeps people away buying it. And the T is in the same league of being a great package with the wrong perception.

So don't play along with the "image makers". Who determines this image, other than people like us? This is like saying "stop me before I sin again".

I never gave a crap about image, and always bought what I enjoy driving. Although I love the shape of the 911, I keep an RS-60 with barely any miles on it, and a Cayman GTS. Sure, I could trade these two and get 911, and play along with this image perception thing (not to mention solving my parking headache). I choose not to.

Targa Tim:
    Lars997:

Smiley

Same here, I can floor 3 gears in the Turbo 3.6 without getting into too much trouble.

--

Whoopsy:
    Targa Tim:
    Lars997:

Smiley

Same here, I can floor 3 gears in the Turbo 3.6 without getting into too much trouble.

Smiley

RC:
    WAY:
    RC:
    d997h:

All allocations for this year at my dealer are gone already and other people / customers ostensibly "complain" about non getting a slot...strange...

Clever marketing... Smiley

I got myself a fantastic 991.2 GTS Convertible deal, I am pretty sure that some other GTS deals (not C4 though) are possible, maybe even close to the 911 T which apparently has high demand. No need to go for a 911 T instead. This may be valid for Germany only of course.

We don’t even have lease deals in Australia for Porsche...

Smiley

Here are some lease offers for Porsche cars in Germany (sorry, in German) but usually, you can get even better offers if you're not looking for the best selling model and/or if you're lucky:  https://www.sixt-leasing.de/porsche

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

You have no idea how jealous I am! The only “lease” we have for Porsches here is basically a finance loan with a “balloon” payment at the end. But you are responsible for that balloon as you can’t just return the car. monthly repayment is also double yours if not higher. 

bridggar:

Perhaps you see now why I chose a C2.

I, for example, perfectly understand your point of view. I also dislike the fact that you would need several expensive options to configure a 911 to its utmost performance-level to achieve stellar laptimes. Something that is, at least for me, of secondary importance on the congested roads I am driving on. So I absolutely like the idea of a basic „entry-level“ 911 with a somewhat unfiltered driving feel.

I just don‘t think that the name, visual differentiation and price point of the Carrera T are convincing but, judging the proclaimed sales success, I am in the minority here. It is an interesting model in speed-limited countries with heavy taxation, though. No doubt about that.

Ferdie:
    I just don‘t think that the name, visual differentiation and price point of the Carrera T are convincing but, judging the proclaimed sales success, I am in the minority here. It is an interesting model in speed-limited countries with heavy taxation, though. No doubt about that.

agree. for me, only attractive thing about T is the shorter gear ratios

As far as I head only 3% shorter final drive. That's more a joke. I mean that's marketing....

--

daily (no fun): BMW 430d
    for fun: Porsche Boxster GTS

Many of you are forgetting that 911’s are only fun if they are driven near or at the limit. Otherwise they are boring to drive. That isn’t the case with Porsche GT cars, Ferrari’s, MCLaren’s and R8. Even at low speeds or at the speed limit these cars are so responsive and connected to the road that they generated passion and excitement. The sound, the sensualness, the visceral experience all evoke feelings that cannot be found in the regular 911. 

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

nberry:

Many of you are forgetting that 911’s are only fun if they are driven near or at the limit. Otherwise they are boring to drive. That isn’t the case with Porsche GT cars, Ferrari’s, MCLaren’s and R8. Even at low speeds or at the speed limit these cars are so responsive and connected to the road that they generated passion and excitement. The sound, the sensualness, the visceral experience all evoke feelings that cannot be found in the regular 911. 

Hey Nick,

Are you sure you are not biased?Smiley

I will take a lower hp manual NA car over a high hp non-manual exotic car for street driving any day.

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Tim, believe it or not I am not that much of a car enthusiast. But I do know what excites me. I turned in a 2017 Targa was a beautiful car and had some punch. Unfortunately for it, me previous car was a .1 GT3. After driving the Targa for about six months, my reaction was meh. I need more excitement and ordered a .2GT3.

I have owned Ferrari's and Porsche's that were manual but after driving a the F1 and PDK I promised myself I would never get manual again. Seriously stupid to do all the work going one place to another.indecision

--

nberry:

I have owned Ferrari's and Porsche's that were manual but after driving a the F1 and PDK I promised myself I would never get manual again. Seriously stupid to do all the work going one place to another.indecision

PDK vs manual is like making babies with in vitro fertilization vs the dirty sweaty way.  I prefer the sweaty way any day.Smiley

--

Tim

nberry:

Many of you are forgetting that 911’s are only fun if they are driven near or at the limit. Otherwise they are boring to drive. That isn’t the case with Porsche GT cars... Even at low speeds or at the speed limit these cars are so responsive and connected to the road that they generated passion and excitement.

The GT3 is fun on the street, but once you drive one hard on the track (where it really comes alive) you'll realize driving one on the street is not in the same ballpark Smiley

--

Grant:
    nberry:

Many of you are forgetting that 911’s are only fun if they are driven near or at the limit. Otherwise they are boring to drive. That isn’t the case with Porsche GT cars... Even at low speeds or at the speed limit these cars are so responsive and connected to the road that they generated passion and excitement.

The GT3 is fun on the street, but once you drive one hard on the track (where it really comes alive) you'll realize driving one on the street is not in the same ballpark Smiley

And you lost interest in driving fast on the street..........

But on track you also notice the short coming of a street car...............

And then you migrate to a full on race car on track..........

--

Whoopsy:
    Grant:
    nberry:

Smiley Once you drive so good that even pros can barely pull away (not on the Autobahn Smiley), you don't care much anymore if someone on public roads is faster than you or not. When I was young, I let others provoke me all the time but now? I get "challenged" basically every day when I am with my Porsche or R8 but I don't care. 

Once you will be really into semi-pro racing, you'll be much more relaxed on public roads because it just doesn't matter anymore, priorities and ambitions shift. Smiley I assume you already know (and experienced yourself) what I am talking about. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Whoopsy:
    Grant:
    nberry:

I hear you - my 73 911 is essentially a race car with number plates.  I know the GT3 is compromised as a track car, but the compromises are ok with me, in order that I get a warranty and don’t need to buy a truck and trailer...

And gotta have the manual gearbox Smiley

--

Grant:
    nberry:

Grant, I think that is an obvious observation. Smiley

Nevertheless, there is considerable and better difference between driving a Porsche GT car on the street and a regular 911. That's the point I am making.Smiley

--

Just trying to encourage you kiss

--

LA show car.

LA show.JPG

Thats a nice looking car. Looks somehow like a 991 smiley

Lars997:

Thats a nice looking car. Looks somehow like a 991 smiley

You have to admit that Porsche marketing is really good...not good enough to convince me though...anymore. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Porsche marketing has always been good at creating demand   They have had many special edition models over the past 30 - 40 years that have mostly been parts bin exercises with only a few genuinely re-engineered models thrown in for good measure. The 924 Le Mans, 924 Sebring, 944 Silver Rose, 911 Carrera Club Sport, 911 40th, 911 50th, 50th anniversary Ferry Porsche 928S, Boxster RS60 to name but a few so there is nothing new going on.

The difference now is that the current market is placing far greater importance on these low run models and making them more desirable ownership propositions through the possibility of stronger residual values.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    661877 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401113 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254583 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229130 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59474 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4378 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853460 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761731 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM