Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016)

RC:
    Gnil:
    rickman:

IMG_1231.JPG

That color scheme and rims work so well together Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

If you're from Brazil...definitely. Smiley Smiley

SmileySmiley

is this an R or a GT3Touring?:::))))

To all these rennteamers that have not made it down under, you should. Simply stunning down there.

Add one of these on the roof to complete the effect (Look 695 Flag Edition - Brazil; no longer made).

ce5218ce1e1235b9f7ec5fc53e19f041--bordeaux-brazil.jpg

https://www.autogespot.com/porsche-911-r/2017/10/13

Familiy car...

Love the side profile picture - a sweet car

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2017 Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2020 Porsche Mission E on order

Found somewhere on the interwebs

A401CA62-6D68-4759-ACB5-B8515FD86E9E.jpeg

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

xpto:

https://www.autogespot.com/porsche-911-r/2017/10/13

Familiy car...

Blue brakes...Smiley

Blueflame

Received an email to confirm Tag 911R book now available for pre-order.

Specific numbers of the limited print run can be requested.

http://www.tag-motorbooks.com/books/9/911r-english-edition

Scarab blue (PTS) , rumoured to be Dr. Piech car.

So, I had a death wish late last night. It was torrential downpour and 6 degrees and I had this great idea to drive up to Whistler in the Aston  and grab the 911R back. I haven't touch the R in more than 2 months and sort of miss it.

Basically it was a back to back drive of 140km one way in the 911R and Vantage dogleg. Head 2 head so to speak.

The Vantage specific Pirelli Corsa (left rear and right rear are asymmetric and directional as compared to regular Corsas of the same size) absolutely hated the cold weather, temperature starts at 6 and drops to 0 by the time I got to Whistler. The traction control is pretty much on constantly whenever I press the gas pedal in the first 4 gears. The car absolutely was trying to kill me last night, except when it hits a puddle, then it actually has more traction than the Cup2s on the 911R, the tread pattern helps a lot in evacuating standing water. The Cup2s on the other hand had surprisingly high amount of grip on the damn/wet cold surface, except when they hit puddles and all hell broke lose.

Clutch effort is lighter in the 911R, and that shift linkage is second to none, night and day better than in the Aston. The centering spring on the shifter is spot on, the moment I pop it up from 2nd to go to 3rd, the spring lined it up perfectly and I spent basically no effort in finding the gate. In the Aston the worse shift is 4th to 3rd. The centering spring is basically non-existent, the moment I pop it out of 4th it centre itself on the divider between 3rd and 5th, so most of the time I would get 5th instead of 3rd, and if I spend a bit of effort to move the lever left, it almost without fail would slot into 1st, bypassing 3rd. To find 3rd gear reliably from 4th, the steps needed would be to go from 4th to 1st then 2nd and straight down into 3rd. By that time 3rd is no longer needed and 2nd is called for, so at times I just go from 4th to 2nd, forgetting 3rd gear all together.

Same road, same condition, same driver, I did the trip 20 minutes faster in the 911R than in the Aston. The 911R just made me feel so 'invincible', the car inspired confidence (well to be fair I am used to driving 911s). The tires also felt good in the cold and I can lean into them a lot more than I can or dare on the Corsas. But the trip in the 911R felt automatic. The car wasn't working me, I wasn't stressing it either. It seemed routine. 

In the Aston, it bites me while I slapped it. It was a fight, a fun fight so to speak. Reminds me of driving the Turbo 3.6.

I know everyone thinks the 911R is one of the most engaging modern 911s, but it feels too German so to speak. It does 'feel' more raw, all road noise, tire noise, water splashing in the wheel wells, the sand and pebbles on the road hitting against the fender I can hear all that, hell even the engine vibrates a lot more with the single mass flywheel. And the car feels lighter and is lighter, the steering feels better, (the electric steering in the 911R gave me more feedback than the hydraulic one in the Aston), visibility is much better in the 911R also. Oh and the wipers, those German really knows how to do it, the Aston ones became almost useless in the heavy rain. 

In the end, I still prefer driving the Aston. It's V12 sounded glorious, even with all the insulation on the car. It is the slower car, heavier car, less agile car, dated car, but I don't care all that as when I am on the street, it is fast enough.

Another interesting thing I have noted. The rooster tail on the Aston is spectacular even better than the one from the F12, Right behind the Huracan and 918, and the Speciale. It doesn't really have a proper diffuser but the results don't lie, the tail is a tight narrow trail of water narrower than the car. The 911R on the other hand, well, the rooster tail is more like a scattered cloud of water vapour instead of a 'tail', like any other 911. That 'diffuser 'really doesn't do much. 

Of note, it was cold and snowing in Whistler last few days but yesterday got warmer and with heavy rain, the snow on the ground has melted hence I sneaked in the trip on summer tires. Late at night with no cops and traffic.

--

the diffuser in the R is clearly a joke but it is more a design feature than a technical one even if they tried hard for this one. angry

on the other hand, who spend most of the time above 270km/h? indecision

it is good to have a choice, especially when those special ladies are all parked side by side kiss

--

GT Lover

Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 on order

991 GT3 2014(sold)

CAYENNE GTS 2014

Whoopsy:

So, I had a death wish late last night. It was torrential downpour and 6 degrees and I had this great idea to drive up to Whistler in the Aston  and grab the 911R back. I haven't touch the R in more than 2 months and sort of miss it.

Basically it was a back to back drive of 140km one way in the 911R and Vantage dogleg. Head 2 head so to speak.

The Vantage specific Pirelli Corsa (left rear and right rear are asymmetric and directional as compared to regular Corsas of the same size) absolutely hated the cold weather, temperature starts at 6 and drops to 0 by the time I got to Whistler. The traction control is pretty much on constantly whenever I press the gas pedal in the first 4 gears. The car absolutely was trying to kill me last night, except when it hits a puddle, then it actually has more traction than the Cup2s on the 911R, the tread pattern helps a lot in evacuating standing water. The Cup2s on the other hand had surprisingly high amount of grip on the damn/wet cold surface, except when they hit puddles and all hell broke lose.

Clutch effort is lighter in the 911R, and that shift linkage is second to none, night and day better than in the Aston. The centering spring on the shifter is spot on, the moment I pop it up from 2nd to go to 3rd, the spring lined it up perfectly and I spent basically no effort in finding the gate. In the Aston the worse shift is 4th to 3rd. The centering spring is basically non-existent, the moment I pop it out of 4th it centre itself on the divider between 3rd and 5th, so most of the time I would get 5th instead of 3rd, and if I spend a bit of effort to move the lever left, it almost without fail would slot into 1st, bypassing 3rd. To find 3rd gear reliably from 4th, the steps needed would be to go from 4th to 1st then 2nd and straight down into 3rd. By that time 3rd is no longer needed and 2nd is called for, so at times I just go from 4th to 2nd, forgetting 3rd gear all together.

Same road, same condition, same driver, I did the trip 20 minutes faster in the 911R than in the Aston. The 911R just made me feel so 'invincible', the car inspired confidence (well to be fair I am used to driving 911s). The tires also felt good in the cold and I can lean into them a lot more than I can or dare on the Corsas. But the trip in the 911R felt automatic. The car wasn't working me, I wasn't stressing it either. It seemed routine. 

In the Aston, it bites me while I slapped it. It was a fight, a fun fight so to speak. Reminds me of driving the Turbo 3.6.

I know everyone thinks the 911R is one of the most engaging modern 911s, but it feels too German so to speak. It does 'feel' more raw, all road noise, tire noise, water splashing in the wheel wells, the sand and pebbles on the road hitting against the fender I can hear all that, hell even the engine vibrates a lot more with the single mass flywheel. And the car feels lighter and is lighter, the steering feels better, (the electric steering in the 911R gave me more feedback than the hydraulic one in the Aston), visibility is much better in the 911R also. Oh and the wipers, those German really knows how to do it, the Aston ones became almost useless in the heavy rain. 

In the end, I still prefer driving the Aston. It's V12 sounded glorious, even with all the insulation on the car. It is the slower car, heavier car, less agile car, dated car, but I don't care all that as when I am on the street, it is fast enough.

Another interesting thing I have noted. The rooster tail on the Aston is spectacular even better than the one from the F12, Right behind the Huracan and 918, and the Speciale. It doesn't really have a proper diffuser but the results don't lie, the tail is a tight narrow trail of water narrower than the car. The 911R on the other hand, well, the rooster tail is more like a scattered cloud of water vapour instead of a 'tail', like any other 911. That 'diffuser 'really doesn't do much. 

Of note, it was cold and snowing in Whistler last few days but yesterday got warmer and with heavy rain, the snow on the ground has melted hence I sneaked in the trip on summer tires. Late at night with no cops and traffic.

Nice write up and description!Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Thanks for sharing Whoopsy :-)

(FWIW: I think the Cup 2's are good down to -10°C)

Thanks Nick!
    I love reading stories like these, where owners of these wonderful machines share their experiences with cars that I can only dream of kiss That's also the beauty of Rennteam for me!

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Picking up my GT3 Monday, hence one of the reasons to bring down the 911R for a head to head. smiley

--

Whoopsy:

I love this summary Nick - Amazing! Smiley

Wondering you didn't talk about the engine sound when you compare the two. I think we all understand the 991R feel - as we all are aware that a Porsche just fits like a glove. 

I know the road between VanCity and Whistler very well. So I can imagine how much fun it must have been. You live in the most adorable place! 

The engine sound......

Honestly I think that one is a wash. 

The Aston sounded glorious from idle to mid range, it sort of start thrashing at the top of the rev range, Ferrari V12s got them beat high up. 

The flat 6 in the 911R, it really doesn't have a weak spot anywhere on the whole 8000rpm range. But the note is very different than the Aston. 6 cylinders less after all.

They just are different. One a beautiful blonde, one a beautiful brunette. 

How's that?

The NA flat 6 in the 911R is different than the NA V8 in the 918, in turn they are also different than the NA V10 in the Huracan and the NA V12 in the Aston. The 918 has the most unique 'bark' I have ever heard from an engine, it's so distinctive but too bad no one can really hear it most of the time. The Porsche flat 6 wail is also very distinctive, most people can distinguish that from everything else. 

V12 engines inheritably is a very smooth sound, Aston tuned theirs to sound muscular right from the get go, the let down is the glorious sound drop off at the end. I would say like a gentleman with a tuxedo going to a wedding, party hard at the reception and first on the dance floor but call it a night early. The Ferrari V12 would be the same gentleman going easy on the reception and during dinner, but will be the one that partied till everyone left and then find an after party to attend after.

--

Whoopsy:

They just are different. One a beautiful blonde, one a beautiful brunette. 

And the GT2RS will be the hot tempered redhead then Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

nice write up here. have done that road before (in a SUV) and must be spectacular in either of these

Whoopsy:

Picking up my GT3 Monday, hence one of the reasons to bring down the 911R for a head to head. smiley

do you need a volunteer to drive the other one for you?Smiley

don't risk driving up in summer tires again, as winter tires are mandatory on sea to sky highway, not worth getting a big ticket.

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Targa Tim:
    Whoopsy:

do you need a volunteer to drive the other one for you?Smiley

don't risk driving up in summer tires again, as winter tires are mandatory on sea to sky highway, not worth getting a big ticket.

That's why I picked a miserable night to do it. Even the Police won't want to do patrols Smiley

--

Seems like Porsche has perfected the 911, maybe it’s becoming too good for its own good. 

It has taken them 60 years to do it. 

Whoopsy : Thanks for the great write up . These are so much better then any journalist' s review and I learn more then reading a 3 page '' test''  . The AM seems such a nice car to have ...... maybe one day I'll fall for one as a DD , but for the moment I still appreciate those back seats in the 911 .

--

Not sure how the prices for a 911R are right now but I know someone (trustable, company) who sells a 911R in the 350k EUR price range, so if someone is interested, I can make the contact. Car is a German car, slightly used (I think, maybe it is new, I can find out). 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Not long ago they were 500K . I would wait a bit more smiley

--

Gnil:

Not long ago they were 500K . I would wait a bit more smiley

I was just offering as a courtesy to people who may badly want one.

Yes, it is highly possible prices will drop but if not? 😉

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Gnil:

Whoopsy : Thanks for the great write up . These are so much better then any journalist' s review and I learn more then reading a 3 page '' test''  . The AM seems such a nice car to have ...... maybe one day I'll fall for one as a DD , but for the moment I still appreciate those back seats in the 911 .

I feel flattered 😊

well the difference being journalists were invited and they had an obligations to write good stuff or else they don’t get invited again vs me paying them for the car, I call a dog when it is a dog and there would be no consequences. 

But really, while the 911R is still a fantastic car to drive, the Aston is very under rated, especially when most just read the spec on paper and be done with it. One really need to experience it from the driver seat in order to have a proper judgement. Plus, accept the role it plays, a GT car instead of a pure sports car. 

--

Exactly. GT car. I never even bothered to compare my vantage to the 911 it replaces. They are just different and to me the Aston wins hands down, mine just turned 10 year old. 

Thanks, Whoopsy. I've been debating whether to drive the Porsche this winter, or park it. Your writeup reminded me how much I enjoyed driving the previous ones year-round, in Boston's rain, snow and sleet. So I'll be putting the Michelin Pilot Alpins 4 to good use this season...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    662500 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401281 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254603 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229247 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59619 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4381 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853566 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761991 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM