Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Farbio Sports Cars

Farbio Sports Cars released a press release a couple days back about its cars the GTS and Supercharged GTS. Formerly titled Farboud, Chris Marsh took over the operations and recently changed the name to Farbio. The company is a British sports car manufacter, must love them Brits for being so focused on sports cars, is located in Dyrham. Check out these beauties at the Farbio site. And here is the press release.

Re: Farbio Sports Cars

The back reminds me of a boxed up Mazda, the front is not bad though!

I like how short the GTS is compared to other mid-engine sports cars yet has plenty of luggage space.

Looks like a reworked Lotus Europa and the front end is a ArtegaGT. As far as looks I would go with the ArtegaGT...

Looks an awful lot like the Henrik Fisker designed Artega GT - which again looks likee a CGT mixed with an Aston Martin something or other...
    Seems Fisker uses the same recipe everytime he designs a car.

http://www.egmcartech.com/2007/09/12/frankfurt-motor-show-artega-gt-production-version-revealed/

Another Artega GT pic

As an ex-industrial design student, I think both cars looking nothing alike.

Quote:
    Modrocket_stereo said:
    As an ex-industrial design student, I think both cars looking nothing alike.

The triangular taillights, the CGT headlights and the color and basic sportscar setup - maybe that's what makes them look similar.
    You are right, that there are quite a few things that seperate them.
    Perhaps the real similariity between them is the fact that neither stand out as great or different design.
    They both look like a fusion of cars we know.

We need a new Countach.

The overall shape are similar and both are very small and tidy but details seperate the two. The form of the Artega is much more smoother. Look at the rear upper duct and how it sweeps towards the headlights. Then you look at the front three-quarters view you provided, you can see it wraps around the front-end and back to the other vent. The line is very soft and seamless yet being strong to the eyes. You do not get that same form on the GTS. Looking at the profile of the GTS you may notice that contours seem flat while the Artega has a different form.

Plus the Artega does not have a front wheel-well duct nor a lower rear vent. The exhaust, engine vents, and middle brake light are in different locations. The diffusers have a different shape amongst other things.

The design isn't very pretty but it looks purposeful and the specifications are hard to ignore. Electric windows, air conditioning with climate control, and great luggage space for this type of car but the weight seal the deal.

Dry weight (I am assuming) on the GTS is 1048kg while the Supercharged GTS is 1066kg is pretty good. The GTS has only 262hp while the Supercharged GTS has 384hp.

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:

The triangular taillights, the CGT headlights and the color and basic sportscar setup - maybe that's what makes them look similar.
    You are right, that there are quite a few things that seperate them.
    Perhaps the real similariity between them is the fact that neither stand out as great or different design.
    They both look like a fusion of cars we know.

We need a new Countach.

That may be it but I think it all comes down on perspective and the type of person. A person who has a designer's mind will likely see all the subtle differences rather than a person who doesn't. Maybe this is bad for manufacturers because a designer might think he car is unique and probably is yet a consumer may at first glance compare it to something else and say, "They copied such and such". But chances are the person cannot dissect all the nuances of each cars styling to seperate the two.

I see it, read it, and hear it all the time. "Looks like Lexus..." or "Hyundai copied this and that" or "The car looks like a Gallardo front-end, 7-series profile, and Cooper S rear end". Maybe the latter is too extreme but I've read statements close to that. And if a car were to look like a Gallardo, 7-series, and Cooper S mutant-car... chances it the vehicle that the statement is aimed at probably do not look anything like that.

Off topic, but whats your take on this then as far as copying goes?

http://blogs.motortrend.com/6215367/car-...rtwo/index.html

Looks similar to me and most everyone else that saw it at Frankfurt auto show.

Modrocket, I hear what you are saying, and you are right some of the way.
    I actually am a designer (albeit not an automotive one) and as such am able to see the subtle nuances and differences off these two cars.
    The point is, that "all communication takes place on the terms of the recipient", meaning that what the designer wanted to convey/communicate with a particular car design is less important that how it is perceived by the people who will judge and potentially buy the car.

And your point about designers being able to see the subtle differences that non-professionals often cant/dont is quite crucial.
    But crucial for an other reason than yours: Commercial car designers are not designing cars to other car designers - they design cars to consumers..
    Some car buyers are estute when it comes to the subtle details, most - I would guess - aren't.
    So if you need to be a pro designer to appreciate a car, the designer has failed miserably - unless, of course the target audience is very narrow, which is sometimes the case.

The two cars we debate here are classic examples of generic sports car design IMO. Sure, they both have interesting details, but the overall shape and look is PERCEIVED as being "something we have seen before" - and if their potential clients feel the same way, both car manufacturers will have a prroblem.

I just think people who designers, not all, can absorb the styling aspect of different applied arts. For sure, product and transportation designers are producing ideas for their employees or clients for consumers but I do not think the majority of the population on earth are not savy to really appreciate or dissect designs.

I recall being an automotive forum where people admitted that they dislike older cars because they believed them to be ugly and rather have something more contemporary such as an Audi A4. I started thinking that these people have never seen a Ferrari 250 GT SWB or Jaguar E-Type or just cannot understand the design language of that time and in the end able to appreciate these vehicles.

Then I think of drivers who love the assorted bodykit tuner cars. Those guys usually have bad tastes. When I think about, I believe many of the bodykit companies do not hire transporation design graduates (possibly the asking salary is too high even for a level entry design position), which why most of them are junk. Then you look at Studio Torino where Alfredo Stola really understands who to work contours to give us a fantastic end product. Now I am getting a little off topic.

Alright, I agree the GTS and Artega possess generic styling. They are not alone because Noble Sports Cars come to mind. And I agree with all of your points as well.

People passing by: What car is that?
    Driver: It's a Farbio.
    People passing by: What?! FABIO!?

Nuf said...

I too think the name is a bit undesirable... I think of "I cannot believe it's not butter" advertisments.

Quote:
    Modrocket_stereo said:
    The overall shape are similar and both are very small and tidy but details seperate the two. The form of the Artega is much more smoother. Look at the rear upper duct and how it sweeps towards the headlights. Then you look at the front three-quarters view you provided, you can see it wraps around the front-end and back to the other vent. The line is very soft and seamless yet being strong to the eyes. You do not get that same form on the GTS. Looking at the profile of the GTS you may notice that contours seem flat while the Artega has a different form.

Plus the Artega does not have a front wheel-well duct nor a lower rear vent. The exhaust, engine vents, and middle brake light are in different locations. The diffusers have a different shape amongst other things.

I like the short overhangs. The design looks tidy but also a tad uninspiring. I like it though except for the vent on the side. The design would be much smoother and tidier without it.

Nice that we have some solid footage.

Video: news report

How is the reliability though? On par with the Toyota engined elise?

It uses the Ford Duratec V6, which I am not too familiar with that engine. I think might be what Noble is using.

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Looks an awful lot like the Henrik Fisker designed Artega GT - which again looks likee a CGT mixed with an Aston Martin something or other...
    Seems Fisker uses the same recipe everytime he designs a car.

The recipe works, no? These cars look beautiful, not as beautiful as the current AM lineup, but very exotic and special looking. The cars need to be slightly longer to avoid the lotus elise/toy car exotic syndrome though.

If the recipe works, why change it?

Given this is a British car company, I am slightly suprised none of the magazines have published an article just yet or even Fifth Gear giving us something.

The price of the GTS cars are very competitive. The base GTS is Pounds59,900 and Supercharged GTS is Pounds71,700. Not bad for a car that has been in the making for a while now. The car looks a lot cooler in motion.

Quote:
    Modrocket_stereo said:
    It uses the Ford Duratec V6, which I am not too familiar with that engine. I think might be what Noble is using.

Same engine. Very reliable engine - never had 1 single problem with my Noble in the 5000 miles I had it.

1000Kg and +370Hp with kind of exoctic style design. For a first product I actually belive it's quite an achievment.
    Love the wheels, very classy.

J.Seven

For a first car, it is not bad at all. Even the suspension is adjustable. Combine the lightweight and power, it definitely will be a rapid car on and off track. On a winding road, in my opinion, this would be a great example to exploit other cars. The fall back is that the engine will probably taper off when trying to hit top speed since it lacks the displacement and grunt that the F430 and Gallardo has. But for the price, I'd choose this over the GT-R.

Finally a driving impression.
    AutoCar first drive

60K pounds is about 122K dollars when the conversion is made. Have they said anything about what the actual US price will be?

I'm sure if they federalize, these a handful will be purchased by collectors, but overall, it is incredibly difficult to penetrate the US market, especially with Porsche offering the "defacto" sportscars from 60-100k. Even Aston Martin's entry level V8 is not finding enough buyers, at that price point most people would rather buy a Porsche.

Quote:
    bondmid003 said:
    60K pounds is about 122K dollars when the conversion is made. Have they said anything about what the actual US price will be?

Most cars that cost 60k UK Pounds in UK cost around $75k USD in the US

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776672 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441505 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262671 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260803 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85082 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5494 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880516 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815639 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM