Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017)

RC:
    Whoopsy:

Had a chat with Matthias Hoffsummer today, he was my instructor for the Porsche Racing Experience and will be my personal coach again next year when I do the Level 2 and races in Germany. He just finished doing the launch of the GT2RS with journalists.

The GT2RS will be a giant handful at the limit even for him, the Widow Maker moniker is intact, alive and well. Expect many cars to be posted onto crash exotics. 

As for tires, Porsche pretty much hoarded the whole supply of N2 spec Cup2s for the launch. Truth is, Michelin couldn't make them fast enough, that's why some customer cars will be shipped with the equivalent Dunlops. Michelin have a deal with Porsche and that's why all record attempts are done on Michelins. 

A guy I know who drove the car says that with PSM turned on, the car is fantastic and easy to drive fast, apparently they did an amazing job with the traction control/ESP setup.

The current generation of Porsche ESP setup is not very intrusive like on a Ferrari, it's mostly transparent, the driver won't even know the car just saved his ass unless he was looking down and see the icon flashing. But it still has to obey physics. I have lost the 918 many many times on track even with ESP on, spun it completely at Paul Ricard and got the tail out hanging on my own track.  Done it enough times now that mostly I can save it and keep going. It still takes skills even with ESP on.

The ClubSport I pushed harder on track, and lost it even more times with ESP on. 

--

M4n0t0:

We had a rule for rookies when racing with cayman CS MR, nobody remove ESP until you beat time the fastest guys with ESP on :))) 

Unless you want to drift, or you already know where and when the TC or ESP are slowing you down then there is no point to remove it !!!

I got production slot today and it will be January ! #happy

SmileySmileySmiley

Mine has a May production slot. My Turbo S Exclusive will be a January production though.

--

Nice !!!! My friend saw this one in Zurich he was doubtfull about the color but not anymore after meeting her in real !!IMG_20171111_175706_772.jpg

That SE exclusive color looks much better in that lighting than in the official Porsche photos

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

That SE exclusive color looks much better in that lighting than in the official Porsche photos

Porsche's official photos really tend to put their own cars in terrible light, they always look much better in real life pictures. Smiley

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Carlos from Spain:

But that's not what the colour actually looks like.

This golden yellow colour do not photograph well. 

Not even the official Porsche photo shows the true colour.

--

These might be the closest:

1510780403483IMG_4381.JPG
    1510780403495IMG_4380.JPG
    1510780403501IMG_4382.JPG
    1510780403508IMG_4379.JPG

--

Oh here is something new.

I was just informed that European delivery is not possible with the GT2RS right now today.

Not about space at the delivery centre, but about emission standard mail

Cars destined for North American market, which are produced from March onwards, is still on the old cert and they are right now not legal to be driven in Europe. Not even on a temporary tourist permit. 

Porsche is working to find a solution now.

--

I have July production, quite a while to wait.....Smiley

Whoopsy:

Not about space at the delivery centre, but about emission standard mail

Cars destined for North American market, which are produced from March onwards, is still on the old cert and they are right now not legal to be driven in Europe. Not even on a temporary tourist permit. 

Sure it is emissions?  I'm thinking of all the crap cars driving around on our streets. One or two GT2RS wont be noticed in that context.

Whatever the issue, I’m pretty sure it’s the same one that prevents all Euro Deliveries of North American spec Porsches now (my GT3 and another guy’s Panamera when I was there 3 weeks ago).

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

They shouldnt waste their time this is my RS currently 😂 GT2 will be straightened aswell as soon as i get the hand on !received_10155115793753879.jpeg

Modern emission rules are silly at best.

Cars are not the biggest pollutants, trucks are, why don't they go after trucks first?

I know, cause car drivers don't have a powerful lobbying body working for them. Or union for that matters.

Maybe all car drivers in the world should unite and form a car owners union. 

Actually better yet, maybe there should be a 'tax' of say $5000- $10000 added to any car price, in return, the payer will be except from all emission bullshit. Hell, give them HOV stickers too for that amount. Pretty fair I think. Government gets more income, people gets more freedom and choices. For those that choose to pay, they get some privileges, for those that don't want to pay, everything stays the same and nothing changes. Everyone happy!

--

Whatever makes them feel good about burning fossil fuels.  To me it looks like a total fraud. Always has. 

M4n0t0:

They shouldnt waste their time this is my RS currently 😂 GT2 will be straightened aswell as soon as i get the hand on !

Smiley

Whoopsy:

Cars are not the biggest pollutants, trucks are, why don't they go after trucks first?

I know, cause car drivers don't have a powerful lobbying body working for them. Or union for that matters.

Actually better yet, maybe there should be a 'tax' of say $5000- $10000 added to any car price, in return, the payer will be except from all emission bullshit. Hell, give them HOV stickers too for that amount. Pretty fair I think. Government gets more income, people gets more freedom and choices. For those that choose to pay, they get some privileges, for those that don't want to pay, everything stays the same and nothing changes. Everyone happy!

--

That's a bit too much, don't you think ?

It's like saying those who have money can pollute the earth as much as they want and those who don't can't.  

Well, actually, that's how the business world is already functioning but that does not making it right or fair. 

amazon:
    Whoopsy:

--

That's a bit too much, don't you think ?

It's like saying those who have money can pollute the earth as much as they want and those who don't can't.  

Well, actually, that's how the business world is already functioning but that does not making it right or fair. 

Modern cars, even for those that are 5 years old, are already super clean, the minute step each year towards tougher standard isn't making them much cleaner. The big jump was from pre-cat cars to post cat.

As for the argument that fuel economy plays a difference, everyone knows the test cycle vs the real world is a completely different story, so that doesn't hold water either. 

One can drive a Prius but with the super lead foot, and that guy could use more fuel than say someone driving a conventional car with a super light foot. 

Government is already putting a blind bias towards hybrids, giving them access to HOV lanes, I mean, at full tilt, my 918 will go 50L/100km, yet I can drive it single rider on HOV lane. There is no 'fair' in the real world. 

--

Whoopsy:

--

Nick, the biggest polluters are livestock particularly cows. Are you willing to give meat?Smiley

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

nberry:
    Whoopsy:

--

Nick, the biggest polluters are livestock particularly cows. Are you willing to give meat?Smiley

Exactly why I keep eating meat and leave the oxygen producing green stuff alone!

I am trying to genocide the livestocks!

--

Whoopsy:
    nberry:
    Whoopsy:

--

Exactly why I keep eating meat and leave the oxygen producing green stuff alone!

I am trying to genocide the livestocks!

+1000

Anyone believe this? Was posted over on RL: 

Little note: The GT2 RS is as fast (OR FASTER) than the new 991.2 Cup cars around Algarve International Circuit (AIA). Now imagine how it will be with trick go fast bits. Walter was not on new tires, and the pads started to cry after a couple of laps that he was doing in a nonchalant way as he did lap after lap as fast as a cup car.

Highly doubt it's faster than a Cup car unless you convert it to a Cup car, in which case it's no longer a GT2 RS, it's a Cup car with a GT2 RS motor (that may or may not last on the track.)

kingjr9000:

Anyone believe this? Was posted over on RL: 

Little note: The GT2 RS is as fast (OR FASTER) than the new 991.2 Cup cars around Algarve International Circuit (AIA). Now imagine how it will be with trick go fast bits. Walter was not on new tires, and the pads started to cry after a couple of laps that he was doing in a nonchalant way as he did lap after lap as fast as a cup car.

Not a chance given the fact that the cup car runs on slicks. The difference in grip is massiveSmiley

Also the number of trick go-faster parts is likely to be small. I remember one guy took his 997 2RS along to Manthey to see what they could offer, and they basically told him all the normal things they would change were already done from the factory.

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Unless you're going to strip the car, use slicks, and set up a suspension you would never want to drive on a normal Road, it's not going to happen.

noone1:

Unless you're going to strip the car, use slicks, and set up a suspension you would never want to drive on a normal Road, it's not going to happen.

Maybe they got hold of a set of Tesla's Roaster magic tires?  tongue.png Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:
    noone1:

+1SmileySmileySmileySmiley

Carlos from Spain:
    noone1:

SmileySmiley

FYI

Seems to be the PTS rush out there as it has been somehow opened on the configurator ( i didnt tried); i'm not an expert but as i understand the PTS window will be open at a later stage for a short period.

Is that mean that if you want a PTS then you will need to wait this precise moment and it might delay the production of your car ?

I have read that some UK clients will not get any PTS, that US also it's difficult and EU client a most likely the one to get what thye want.

I have read on instagram also that PTS option is up to  12K USDIt used to be 5.5KUSD and also that some special colors can climb up to 64KUSD.

I change a little detail this morning on my conf, i previously took the dials in black and belt in silver and i switched all to red ( Dials, belts, chrono) to match the red alcantara interior. I have it black in all my others cars so i wanted something special and different. Anyway  above 300KM/H when you old your smartphone to take a video you dont really look at the color of the dials blush

About the CUP VS GT2 i will tell you in spring as my racing team is receiving a 2018 CUP so we will definitly compair :) but with same experienced driver and if your track isnt just a straight line it's just impossible  that the GT beat the CUP, simply impossible.

Sorry but 12k usd for a paint....no way for me!

--

997 GT3 RS 3.6 - 964 RS - 993 RS -  991 GT3 RS

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689766 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409342 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255802 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235026 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65553 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858112 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774186 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM