Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Roadster

MKSGR:

It is not a new world but the end of Tesla. People who spend 100k or more on a car don't do it for logical reasons. They do it because of an emotional attachment to the object purchased. A car high priced car will always be specced to the customer demands... 

It is quite the opposite. Tesla is ahead of the pack here implementing the future business model for selling cars. Just look at Polestar (Volvo) for instance, they're making a copy/paste of the Tesla concept and I'm sure that the German brands will follow. VW will for their EV program....

There are of course customers that like to customize and taylor their products and pay a premium for this. Probably a lot of the member in this community and nothing wrong with that. The opposite actually, but that will never be the bulk of the sales and more niche products. Having limited options and making the choice simple for the customer is something that the majority of car buyers actually would prefer. Pick color and a few options and you're done and as a result of fewer options the car can be delivered to you very quickly or maybe it is already in stock. Tesla for instance source cars around Europe and a buyer in Finland can get a stock car from Germany in 1-2 weeks. Brilliant not having the dealer structure that will make things hugely complicated, add overhead and make it more cumbersome for the customer who is stuck with what the local dealer and their specific network has in stock or coming in from the factory.

Also, picking up your example, you pay, do a 1000 mile test drive and want to return the piece of junk. However, you find out they can no longer repay your 100k.... No thanks.

It's all in the numbers... Even if a few return the car, the majority wont. Just look at Apple. For every item sold they have a 14 day full return no questions asked. This is due for 10k computers as well. Same model will work in the car industry as well as long as the options are streamlined and few.

Most people who take delivery of their Model 3 absolutely love it. Then there are of course storys developing bye people who get lemons and have issues. Those stories goes viral, but looking at sheer numbers they are very few compared to number of deliveries. Customer satisfactory is something that needs to improve, but they will cope and improve.

Interesting development moving forward to follow which approach different companies are taking in this sense. I'm sure that many will adapt the Tesla model moving forward. A good example is the deposits for new models that Tesla got so much heat for. Now even Porsche does the same with the Taycan and Audi did with the E-tron.

schmoell:

No one cares if they go bankrupt. The tech is in the wild, is superior to most ICE cars and here to stay; at least for some time

Nico is a great bloke!

I had the same smile on my face driving the Model 3 Performance like I tried to express in a few lines earlier in this thread.

Pretty impressive that Tesla announced yesterday that they will increase power for all Model 3 with additional 5% because they feel so secure about the reliability with the electric motors now after thousands of miles of monitoring the cars on the roads. OTA updates coming to the cars in next SW-release. Model 3 Performance will do 0-100km/h in 3.4 sec and have increased top speed to 261km/h.

And agree, it doesn't matter how the finances will evolve. The products are here to stay and if Tesla financially can't keep up, someone will buy them and make sure that the lights will continue to be on.

Don’t even know where to start. MKSGR:
    Leawood911:
    MKSGR:
    Leawood911:
    MKSGR:
    xander71:

Guys tesla has nothing to do with car business as we know it...they are inventing all from scratch....the others are like old dinos.....

You could also say: they are a startup failing.

Compared to other auto makers?  You have to be kidding.   I’m a car guy and I hate dealerships. I would buy a Tesla now just to avoid a dealership.   I really don’t get the haters. Head in the sand and all that. I get it but seriously. It is the best car company I see on the horizon.  Just my humble O and I could be way wrong of course but some of the negative  speculation is just hilarious.  Is everyone short?

My main reasons to visit the dealer: check out exterior colors, leather options, other details/options of the car. You can sit in the cars, walk around them. Then they offer after-sales service. 

As (expensive) cars are always an emotional decision I doubt dealerships will vanish within the next 30 years. But I am not sure if Tesla is still in existence in 3 years. They are in the process of accelerated decay it seems. Closing all dealers, reducing prices by 10% overnight... Pure despair. 

One minute order on the phone. They bring it to you for a one week 1000 mile test drive. What is it you want to do in the showroom again?  Look at the color and leather for a few minutes?  No leather. Sorry. It is just a new world.. 

It is not a new world but the end of Tesla. People who spend 100k or more on a car don't do it for logical reasons. They do it because of an emotional attachment to the object purchased. A high priced car will always be specced to customer demands... 

Also, picking up your example, you pay, do a 1000 mile test drive and want to return the piece of junk. However, you find out they can no longer repay your 100k.... No thanks.

P.S.: Based on your logic, for example, Apple should have closed its stores many years ago. Same goes for Rolex, AP etc. The simple reason why Tesla does it now is that they are facing the risk of immediate bankruptcy. They have no choice.

I don’t know where to start. Wow. So you think I can’t get my 100k back after my weeeklong test drive. It will be a piece of junk. The reality is that it is more likely that the entire sum does not change hands on day one of the test drive. Beyond that if even one customer lost 100k the bad press would eat up Tesla. Most likely big data numbers crunchers looked at their customers and their car quality and came to the well computed conclusion that this made financial sense and there was ROI.  IMHO it takes pride and confidence in your product to offer such a test drive. The exact opposite of what you think is desperate marketing. Interesting how we have totally different perspective. Maybe it would help to ask yourself if the other car makers could do without high pressure sales and offer 1000 mile test drives. Good luck. Just amusing how our perspective differs. Seems like every other car is see in my hood is a Tesla. I’m not crazy about them. Not my thing since I drive 911s and long distances. I would need a 2000 mile range to be happy. 

One that thinks Tesla will go under and disappear as a brand and a car manfacturer has no idea how business and finance works.

Plus they haven’t launched what will be their biggest seller yet, the Model Y.

And the hits keep coming for the competition:

Tesla will increase power and top speed of entire fleet in upcoming software update

https://apple.news/Am2v83G3RSyCEvsykqJznJw

So they drop the price and make it better, the amount of levers to play with that Tesla has and the others can only dream of never ceases to amaze. Many VW EV projects are already obsolete before even coming out, what do you think will happen when they stay stale for 3 or 4 years as they do for the entire rest of their models?

Strangely in my city, TESLA just moved their '' shop'' about 3 month ago to a brand new location right in the middle of the night party seen / trendy shops in the day .

I did find it  such a  good idea ( to have shops and not garages fro this car ) , but was wondering if they really made sense on a financial point of view .

I am in the '' believer'' camp . Cars. distribution of them , the way we use them will dramatically change in the coming years . There is no other way .  Roads are congested . We are in  societies  that wants zero risk, zero casualties.  We will end up in bored autonomously driven vehicles .  It is the only way the be more efficient on our roads  . Governments are preparing it , motions are proposed regularly in this sense . 

Young people do not see cars as we do . It is just a mode of transportation from A to B for them and a waist of money . The rather spend it some life experience activity. 

The few young who now still value cars make me think of the guys when I was at school in the 80's  who loved Elvis Presley  and 50's rock and roll ......

Tesla is not to be viewed as a car company , this is the big mistake people do . 

I remember when I used to buy the stock before any car was on the market ( around 18 to 24 USD a share ) People always said it will tank , it will never make it  etc.....  The same thing has not stoped being said and that is for how many years now ? 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

schmoell:

No one cares if they go bankrupt. The tech is in the wild, is superior to most ICE cars and here to stay; at least for some time

Are you kidding? As a buyer you will certainly care if your supplier goes bankrupt. Resale values, service etc.

lukestern:
    MKSGR:

It is not a new world but the end of Tesla. People who spend 100k or more on a car don't do it for logical reasons. They do it because of an emotional attachment to the object purchased. A car high priced car will always be specced to the customer demands... 

It is quite the opposite. Tesla is ahead of the pack here implementing the future business model for selling cars. Just look at Polestar (Volvo) for instance, they're making a copy/paste of the Tesla concept and I'm sure that the German brands will follow. VW will for their EV program....

There are of course customers that like to customize and taylor their products and pay a premium for this. Probably a lot of the member in this community and nothing wrong with that. The opposite actually, but that will never be the bulk of the sales and more niche products. Having limited options and making the choice simple for the customer is something that the majority of car buyers actually would prefer. Pick color and a few options and you're done and as a result of fewer options the car can be delivered to you very quickly or maybe it is already in stock. Tesla for instance source cars around Europe and a buyer in Finland can get a stock car from Germany in 1-2 weeks. Brilliant not having the dealer structure that will make things hugely complicated, add overhead and make it more cumbersome for the customer who is stuck with what the local dealer and their specific network has in stock or coming in from the factory.

It's all in the numbers... Even if a few return the car, the majority wont. Just look at Apple. For every item sold they have a 14 day full return no questions asked. This is due for 10k computers as well. Same model will work in the car industry as well as long as the options are streamlined and few.

Most people who take delivery of their Model 3 absolutely love it. Then there are of course storys developing bye people who get lemons and have issues. Those stories goes viral, but looking at sheer numbers they are very few compared to number of deliveries. Customer satisfactory is something that needs to improve, but they will cope and improve.

Interesting development moving forward to follow which approach different companies are taking in this sense. I'm sure that many will adapt the Tesla model moving forward. A good example is the deposits for new models that Tesla got so much heat for. Now even Porsche does the same with the Taycan and Audi did with the E-tron.

The poblem with these arguments is: there is not a single proof and they contradict current practices in the consumer goods industry. Therefore, I think these thoughts (while interesting as a theoretical model) are all not consistent with reality. Hoping for the world to change is one thing. But things often do not change as much as one would hope they might.

Leawood911:
    Don’t even know where to start. MKSGR:
    Leawood911:
    MKSGR:
    Leawood911:
    MKSGR:
    xander71:

Guys tesla has nothing to do with car business as we know it...they are inventing all from scratch....the others are like old dinos.....

You could also say: they are a startup failing.

Compared to other auto makers?  You have to be kidding.   I’m a car guy and I hate dealerships. I would buy a Tesla now just to avoid a dealership.   I really don’t get the haters. Head in the sand and all that. I get it but seriously. It is the best car company I see on the horizon.  Just my humble O and I could be way wrong of course but some of the negative  speculation is just hilarious.  Is everyone short?

My main reasons to visit the dealer: check out exterior colors, leather options, other details/options of the car. You can sit in the cars, walk around them. Then they offer after-sales service. 

As (expensive) cars are always an emotional decision I doubt dealerships will vanish within the next 30 years. But I am not sure if Tesla is still in existence in 3 years. They are in the process of accelerated decay it seems. Closing all dealers, reducing prices by 10% overnight... Pure despair. 

One minute order on the phone. They bring it to you for a one week 1000 mile test drive. What is it you want to do in the showroom again?  Look at the color and leather for a few minutes?  No leather. Sorry. It is just a new world.. 

It is not a new world but the end of Tesla. People who spend 100k or more on a car don't do it for logical reasons. They do it because of an emotional attachment to the object purchased. A high priced car will always be specced to customer demands... 

P.S.: Based on your logic, for example, Apple should have closed its stores many years ago. Same goes for Rolex, AP etc. The simple reason why Tesla does it now is that they are facing the risk of immediate bankruptcy. They have no choice.

I don’t know where to start. Wow. So you think I can’t get my 100k back after my weeeklong test drive. It will be a piece of junk. The reality is that it is more likely that the entire sum does not change hands on day one of the test drive. Beyond that if even one customer lost 100k the bad press would eat up Tesla. Most likely big data numbers crunchers looked at their customers and their car quality and came to the well computed conclusion that this made financial sense and there was ROI.  IMHO it takes pride and confidence in your product to offer such a test drive. The exact opposite of what you think is desperate marketing. Interesting how we have totally different perspective. Maybe it would help to ask yourself if the other car makers could do without high pressure sales and offer 1000 mile test drives. Good luck. Just amusing how our perspective differs. Seems like every other car is see in my hood is a Tesla. I’m not crazy about them. Not my thing since I drive 911s and long distances. I would need a 2000 mile range to be happy. 

If they hand over the car without the customer making the payment it would be a nice practice (for all the people who will drive the car just for fun and then return it as a used car). If you make a downpayment we all know about the serious problems Tesla had to repay even smaller downpayment, even few thousands of USD. They are not far from bankruptcy. Don't forget that. I would not give them a Dollar without having the car in my hands.

MKSGR:
    Are you kidding? As a buyer you will certainly care if your supplier goes bankrupt. Resale values, service etc.

Of course some people will be upset. But so are quite some Diesel owners already. Tesla is still ahead when it comes to ELV technology and likely their biz model; they will rather get acquired than disappear. 
    Remember the time, when you had to buy your flights at a travel agency, had to go to a store to buy a book, went to a local electronics shop to buy the latest tech ? Next are the banks and the same will happen to the automotive industry, not because it is more convenient for the consumer (usually it is), but because it saves money since everything that can get automated will eventually be automated.

Cheers wink

Just look at this to imagine the future ....

https://www.daimler.com/company/bmw-and-daimler.html

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

vielen schmoell:
    MKSGR:w

Of course some people will be upset. But so are quite some Diesel owners already. Tesla is still ahead when it comes to ELV technology and likely their biz model; they will rather get acquired than disappear. 
    Remember the time, when you had to buy your flights at a travel agency, had to go to a store to buy a book, went to a local electronics shop to buy the latest tech ? Next are the banks and the same will happen to the automotive industry, not because it is more convenient for the consumer (usually it is), but because it saves money since everything that can get automated will eventually be automated.

Cheers wink

You can just look at Apple to know this is not how the world works. Tesla was forced to close their dealers, cut prices substantially to delay bankruptcy. And some of you seem to think that was a considerate strategic decision. Their recent decisions are done in panic and despair. Very obvious from the news available.

Don't care if it is Tesla or Tata, If they had dealerships in the first place and decided to close them it was because they were forced to no matter how they try to spin it, anyone thinking otherwise is drinking too much cool-aid.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

Don't care if it is Tesla or Tata, If they had dealerships in the first place and decided to close them it was because they were forced to no matter how they try to spin it, anyone thinking otherwise is drinking too much cool-aid.

--

I don’t think they are closing all of them. Last I heard they still had a loyal fan base of customers the other carmakers dream of. Hell, they are investing billions to try and get anything like the fan base.  

If there is one store front I hate the most it’s car dealerships.  In terms of it being a sign of trouble - who is the richest man in the world and how many storefronts does he have?  Amazon much?  

Did you catch the recent SpaceX launch?  As a day trader I love these chances to ride the price back up. Still sticking with my $1000 per stock prediction.  Again - not my type of car but some are seriously underestimating Elon. 

MKSGR:
    You can just look at Apple to know this is not how the world works. Tesla was forced to close their dealers, cut prices substantially to delay bankruptcy. And some of you seem to think that was a considerate strategic decision. Their recent decisions are done in panic and despair. Very obvious from the news available.

There will always be flagship stores for luxury/life style products; just look at Maximilianstrasse in Munich. However, for commodities I think that this is not the case and most cars belong into this category. Time will tell who is right ..

Tesla still have about 2 billion-ish in cash, they won't go bankrupt. But they do need to cut their expenses to conserve money. Closing the stores is one easy way. 

But the majority of that cash pile is from customer deposits, but it isn't a reliable one as customers have the option to ask for a refund at anytime.

They will have a hard time going forward asking for 'cheap' finance money. The stock price will not be reliable enough as before, there is just too much big swings. But Elon is the greatest salesman there is, so I wouldn't doubt his ability to convince people to lend them money. 

The cars are selling, so Tesla will have a semi-steady revenue source, but the pipe dream vapour ware Model Y? Who knows when will it ever hit the market. Another vapour ware I the Tesla Semi? Or the completely vaporized ware of Tesla Pickup, which will likely get upstaged by the upstart Rivian. Or the Speedster. People paid full deposits for the Speedsters but seems like those money didn't go Ito the Speedster program but instead went into Tesla's working capital instead. It's sort of like a pyramid scheme, newer money goes back into earlier commitments.

Tesla is the first mover in the EV game, they should be celebrated that way, they jump started the EV segment. But they seems to have picked the wrong tech, as everyone else is moving towards 800V system instead of 400V. It's like betamax vs VHS. Except in this case the betamax will win the war. 800V is the better system, faster charge time and a lighter car, There is less amperage in a 800V system so car wiring can be made lighter and thinner, with a faster recharge time. The extra weight saved can be translated to a lighter car or more battery for more range. Tesla have to change their system wholesale to compete. It's not a OTA fix. Do they have the capital to get back to the front of the bus AND finance their ambitious expansion plans? Roughly speaking, they need another 5-10billion to do all that. Will Elon get the money?

--

I just discovered I am going to have to go to a service center to pick up my Tesla at the end of the month. Pretty annoyed by that, I wanted them to deliver it directly to me. I guess it is still too early for that.

On another note, the initial order and deposit payment took 3 minutes on the internet and I even paid the deposit with ApplePay  Love it.

Dealership are dinosaurs, staffed by under paid and as such barely competent workers that always try to stuff you something, sales or service. Porsche and Ferrari no better than the others (Porsche service tried to stuff me with a $5k brakes service on the Cayenne TTS two years before it was needed, Ferrari repeatedly lied about condition of a used car and overall service items, and they botched a gearbox service by leaving gunk in the oil reservoir). Not only that but unless you suck up to them big time you cannot by the cars that are in demand unless you offload them with what they cannot sell). My recent experience with Land Rover wasn’t stellar either and the Mini, well, it is a Mini and they don’t pay people so you can imagine. Land Rover requires a whole month in advance for service and last time I called them 8 times and could not talk to someone that could help, had to send an email to get an appointment.

And don’t even get me started with price negotiation. Ferrari after barely talking to me wanted me to pay full price on a used in stock California AND give the lowest trade in possible. They didn’t even budge for the price (they wanted $80k to swap and 09 for a 13). Land Rover doesn’t do discounts in my area so at least I didn’t feel like I was getting gouged. Mini was like pulling teeth.

Tesla will move to 800V when it will make sense. Same as Apple, only offer a new tech when seasoned and ready. The huge advantage they have is they can introduce it whenever they are ready and feel they have to without having to wait for update cycles.

Anyhow, most people charge at home and homes don’t have the amp capacity for supercharging and 800V. I know I can swing 40 amps but probably not 60 amps. And if one day I have another EV, it might be even worse. 800V is great for supercharging on a trip however, but that’s not the main use of an EV or any car for that matter.

Today the Tesla X has no real threat as a 7 seater. Suburban and large American SUVs are tanks, and the GLS 63 AMG is ugly (subjective), 30% more expensive and with outdated (10 years behind) tech and infotainment. The other 7 seater SUV have jump seats in the back. That leaves minivans that are not AWD, they are fat, ugly, slow, boring, outdated tech and without a sense of luxury or coolness factor.

"Future electric cars: upcoming EVs in 2019 and beyond" (Car magazine)

► All the EVs worth waiting for in detail
    ► From Aston Martin to Volkswagen

(28 February 2019)

Electric cars represent the next big step for the automotive industry, and it’s a transformation that’s already taking place. We’ve already rounded up the best electric cars you can get in 2019, from Nissan Leaf to Tesla Model X, but the truth is that we’re only at the tip of the EV iceberg.

For the last few years, the car industry’s heavy-hitters have been transforming their businesses and plunging millions into R&D around and production of electric cars – and in the next 12 to 18 months we’re going to see the fruits of that huge investment.

From the new BMW i4 and the Audi e-Tron, to the Polestar 2 and Tesla Roadster, there are some impressive EV’s of all different shapes and sizes just around the corner. With that in mind, read on for our look at the most interesting upcoming electric cars.

Upcoming electric cars worth waiting for...

Audi e-Tron and e-Tron Sportback

Audi only sells plug-in hybrid electric cars today, but that'll change late in 2018 when the new E-tron all-electric SUV (above) arrives. It's a full five-seater and boasts an e-range of around 250 miles - and Ingolstadt is promising a rapid-charge capability of 150kW charging, meaning it'll be replenished in pretty quick order with top-ups taking just 30 minutes (once the infrastructure is in place, obvs).  

There's going to be a slicker, Sportback version, too – and we’ve spotted it testing.

Audi e-Tron GT 

The new Audi e-Tron GT continues the new, electric design language introduced on the e-Tron SUV, and transposes it onto an A7-style body – though at 4.96m long, 1.96m wide and 1.38m high, it’s both lower and slightly wider than that conventional grand tourer. And although it uses the Taycan’s J1 platform – and keeps the same roofline as the Porsche – this is unmistakably an Audi. It’s a concept for now, but CAR understands it’s pretty much production ready.  

Audi Q4 e-Tron

CAR's been reporting on plans for a Q4 to join the Audi range for years now - and here's the first official confirmation of what shape it'll take: it's the new Audi Q4 e-Tron concept car. 

Ingolstadt has publicly committed to fleshing out its already expansive SUV range, as the world's appetite for crossovers shows no signs of abating. Before long, most integers between one and 10 will have their own Q spin-off, it seems.

Audi has confirmed that the Q4 will be launched 'in late 2020/early 2021', suggesting that there's still two years of development before we see the production version.  

Aston Martin Lagonda

After kickstarting the Lagonda brand with the slick Vision Concept last year, Aston Martin will return with the All-Terrain Concept.

Like most electric cars, we’re told the new Lagonda concept goes big on all the benefits EV powertrains bring; so expect an surprisingly expansive interior and a very unconventional exterior design.

The Lagonda SUV won't go into production looking exactly like this, but we’re starting to see what the design direction will look like. We'll know more after the Geneva motor show.

BMW i4 

Munich is desperately ramping up its electric car ambitions and the i4 will move the sub-brand into a more high-volume, family-friendly part of the market.

The production-spec i4 saloon will use two electric motors, all-wheel drive and torque vectoring. It’s likely that BMW will follow Tesla’s lead in offering different versions with a choice of power outputs. This car is aimed squarely at the Tesla Model 3, after all…

A customer-ready version of the i Vision Dynamics could be in showrooms as early as 2020, explaining our spy photos of a prototype on a transporter.

Honda e Prototype

The concept car that wowed the crowds at the 2017 Frankfurt motor show is back, now as a prototype which previews the production electric car, which will go on sale before the end of 2019.

Formerly known as the Honda Urban EV concept – now called simply the Honda e Prototype – Honda insiders say the above is ‘98% representative’ of the production car.  

Infiniti electric cars

Nissan's upmarket premium wing Infiniti has pledged to launch electrified cars by 2021. This new EV concept car (above) is pointer to what you can expect.

Jaguar XJ 

The polarising XJ luxury saloon is due for replacement in 2019 and CAR’s moles suggest its successor will be a pure electric car. Traditionally the XJ has battled the likes of the Mercedes S-Class and Audi A8, but its successor must move its cross-hairs towards Porsche’s Taycan, Audi’s e-Tron GT (CAR, January 2019) and, in particular, Tesla’s now-venerable but highly successful Model S. And we're hearing that's exactly where the new, pure EV XJ is headed.  

Kia e-Niro

The sister car to the Hyundai Kona Electric, the new e-Niro is the final part of the Niro's triptych of powertrain options - the fully electric version of the popular small crossover. It keeps a decent boot (despite the batteries stuffed under the floor) and best of all is the 300-mile range quoted for the e-Niro, thanks to a chunky 64kWh battery. Brits won't be offered the more affordable (and less rangey) 39kWh battery option. While the Soul EV has sold a modest 350 models a year in the UK, the importer has high hopes for this more practical model. First deliveries start in this year.  

Kia Soul EV 

The oddball Soul is back later this year as an electric car only in the UK. It packs a 64kWh battery pack and is compatible with CCS fast-chargers - and you still get that funky Soul style that's made this tallboy so distinctive over the years.  

Mercedes EQC

Mercedes-Benz is busy preparing a new range of electric cars, developed under the EQ banner. The first model will be the EQC electric SUV unveiled in autumn 2018 and due in showrooms in spring 2019 costing around £70,000 to rival the Jaguar i-Pace and other SUV EVs coming from most premium manufacturers. Roughly the size of the GLC crossover, the EQC is packed with tech and its 80kWh lithium ion battery is claimed to be good for a 280-mile range.

Peugeot e-208

This isn’t a typo; the new Peugeot 208 introduces the latest generation of Peugeot’s venerable ‘two-zero’ series cars, and brings pure electric power to an established, mass-market supermini for the first time.  

Along with the combustion engine versions, an all-electric 208 (handily named e-208) will be available. It uses the e-CMP version for PSA’s clever new compact car platform and will be the basis of the electric Vauxhall Corsa, too. There’ll be different trims with the electrid model getting some light blue detailing being the only real differentiators from the combustion engine versions.  

Polestar 2 

Volvo will launch two new electric cars this year, starting with its £40,000 Polestar 2 sports saloon to rival Tesla’s Model 3. Like the new electric Volvo XC40 that follows, the Polestar 2 will use Volvo’s small-car CMA platform. It's a significant launch, expanding the fledgling Polestar brand into higher-volume territory, as it bids to capitalise on the world's movement away from fossil fuels.  

Porsche Taycan

Even sports car maker Porsche is getting in on the act: the Taycan is the first all-electric car from Zuffenhausen and you can expect incendiary performance, a choice of different power outputs (think Carrera, Carrera S and - maybe - even Turbo model ladder) and charging times of around 250 miles in just 20 minutes. What started life as the Mission E (above) could be a game-changer.

Porsche Taycan: Cross Turismo 

Porsche has revealed the new Mission E Cross Turismo will be entering series production, and it’ll be the second all-electric EV from Stuttgart. Porsche says the new car will generate an extra 300 jobs for at its Zuffenhausen HQ, and it’ll follow the Taycan’s 2019 launch, too.

Porsche Macan EV

Porsche is the latest brand to announce a huge push for EV production. A statement from Stuttgart has outlined plans for a new all-electric Macan, but significantly, it’ll only come in EV flavour.

Porsche says the new Macan will be the brand’s first all-electric compact SUV, and will follow the Taycan – which will be made by the end of this year –  and later, the Taycan Cross Turismo. The new Macan should make it to production by 2020.  

Rivian electric SUVs and pick-ups

A new name hopes to steal some of Tesla's clean car creds: Rivian. A new American start-up, it has serious backers and some very plausible models, including this unusual R1T all-electric pick-up unveiled at the 2018 Los Angeles auto show. With a strikingly long EV range and some clever details such as a through-load facility to carry long items across the rear axle, it aims to bring silent electric running to the great outdoors.

Seat el-Born

This is the Seat el-Born – the first car from the Spanish brand to put on the VW Group’s MEB trousers. It makes its debut at the 2019 Geneva motor showand follows on from the rather Twizy-esque Minimo car shown at MWC 2019.

Are you wondering where on earth that name has come from? Well, it has quite literally come from a small, trendy precinct in Barcelona of the same name, not far from the overly touristy Gothic Quarter. There’s a metaphor in there somewhere.

The Seat el-Born has a total system power of 201bhp, capable of launching the electric hatch to 62mph in 7.5 seconds. Up to 260 miles can be gleaned from its 62kWh battery pack, and it can be recharged via a 100kW in around 45 minutes.  

Seat Minimo

You’re looking a the Seat Minimo, a new Twizy-style concept car not unveiled at Geneva, but at Mobile World Congress (or MWC). Seat says the all-electric concept has been developed to meet the challenges of ‘city driving and emission regulations.’

Seat says the Minimo should combines the benefits of a motorcycle with the comfort of a car -  while still remaining agile – and that basically puts it on parallel with Renault’s Twizy vehicle. It should comfortable fit two people and at just 2.5 metres long and 1.24 wide, the Minimo could be fine for smaller parking spaces.  

Tesla Model 3

It’s already in low-volume production in the US, but we must wait for right-hand drive Model 3s in the UK - and that means we don’t know the price yet, either. If it costs the rumoured £35k, that could indeed change the game, and tempt many motorists from their plug-in BMWs and Mercedes.

Tesla Roadster

If performance is your thing, the new Tesla Roadster v2 due in 2020 is hard to ignore. In typical Elon Musk fashion, the entrepreneur has decreed that the first open-top Tesla will also be the world’s fastest car - with 0-60mph in a claimed 1.9sec. That’s what happens when you plumb 7300lb ft of torque through a lightweight four-seater targa bodyshell. Bearing in mind some of the outrageous claims made for other Teslas (and the company’s inability to launch cars on schedule and budget), we might take its 250mph top speed and 620-mile range with a pinch of salt.

Electric Volkswagens

The one good thing about Dieselgate? It accelerated the transformation of VW and made it an electric-first company. The full fruits have yet to be borne, but you'll see the new ID range of electric VWs arrive later in 2019 and in surprisingly quick order there'll be a host of electric hatchbacks, vans, SUVs and saloons, all wearing the electrified ID badge. 

Link:   https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/electric/future-electric-cars-upcoming-evs/

1550096185373image.gif

Car ownership is in decline and will continue to do so. The younger generation is only interested in transport in the moment. They recognize that car ownership is expensive.  Lyft, Uber and other will provide their needs at a fraction of the cost.

Thus, the issue as to how cars get sold becomes irrelevant. 

--

Stress is man made.

The next 20 years will see the biggest transformation in the car industry since the Ford model T. Fascinating. 

As in every critical turn, the ones who have the most to loose are the current winners ie the Germans. So far the innovation ball has been in the camp of the Americans, but that’s before the heavyweights really plunge in the fray (Goodle Amazon Apple). Musk has proven that with adequate capital you can create a major new car manufacturer out of thin air. The juggernauts have huge piles of cash and can acquire existing structures to reduce risk and speed up the process. The advantage of the Germans in terms of luxury and handling might not be enough as the current crop of non German luxury cars are already good enough, on top of the society moving from transportation as external sign of wealth to an appliance. 

About thirty years ago, Porsche looked to change its sales and distribution network with something similar to what Tesla is moving to with closing its physical stores. Porsche failed to make the changes to control sales and distribution because of third-party dealership agreements in place and the clout of the dealers at the state level.   Tesla is fortunate that it never entered in dealer agreements, on one hand.  However, a dealer network would have given Tesla a national sales presence by using other people’s money.  In fact, in some of the highly contested states, the dealers wanted to own Tesla dealerships but Tesla wanted to disrupt the normal course of business.   

For those making the argument that Amazon grew without a physical storefront, you may want to read Friday’s Wall Street Journal where Amazon announced plans to open eponymously branded grocery stores in major cities.  Amazon already has physical locations for Amazon Books and Amazon to Go.  Other web retailers that felt the need for bricks-and-mortar locations include eyeglass company Warby Parker, men’s suits retailer Bonobos, men’s shirt store Untuckit, and clothing company Ministry of Supply.  There are also regional web companies such as Dearborn Denim in Chicago that have opened physical stores in addition to their online stores.  

Within a year we should be able ascertain if Tesla’s impulsive decision to close most of its physical locations was prudent or not.  In the interim, Tesla will have gained several new competitors including the majors and several startups including those from China and Rivian Motors.  

Once again, you are missing two important points in your biased analysis:

1) you are assuming independent Tesla dealerships would be better than every other brands which we all know are horrible today, diluting the car buying experience, and/or that Tesla could control the quality of them. If Porsche and Ferrari cannot do it...

2) you are conveniently forgetting that independent dealership make money, and a lot of it (trust me, I distantly know several of them and know well how they live). Tesla is reducing the sale price of their car and/or increase margin by being one giant dealer themselves without the useless overhead and trying to capture all these fat profits.

On so many levels, it is so clever and if executed properly (which is not a given), would give an enormous advantage to Tesla. It could take over a decade for the others to replicate such a system while upsetting many many people.

Leawood911:
    If there is one store front I hate the most it’s car dealerships.  In terms of it being a sign of trouble - who is the richest man in the world and how many storefronts does he have?  Amazon much?  

Several hundreds already - with plans to expand the supermarket concept much further. No durable sales business without dealerships for him either. BTW, the Amazon money is made with data services (to date), not with selling goods.

schmoell:
    MKSGR:

There will always be flagship stores for luxury/life style products; just look at Maximilianstrasse in Munich. However, for commodities I think that this is not the case and most cars belong into this category. Time will tell who is right ..

Are you kidding? A car for 100k not a luxury/life style product? Maybe you are talking of low budget cars. But these will never be the business where Tesla will be making money with. Other OEMs will dominate this segment of the market.

First Supercharger v3 going live on Wednesday:
    https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1102332191462195201

Model Y unveiling on March 14
    https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1102332778492772352

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-model-y-teslas-new-suv-will-be-unveiled-on-march-14/#ftag=CAD590a51e

https://apple.news/Aafw4mMnkRc-vu4imCRPIgg

Now for the strong rumors:

200kW is correct.

All Model 3 battery chemistry will be able to handle this.

Total redesign from the current v2, which uses repurposed vehicle chargers. V3 is done from start using industrial inverters based from Power Packs.

Ideally meant for long distance only, will be deployed in far out places to bridge gaps (Forks,WA will be one of the first places in the NW completed).

Initially will not have liquid cooled cables in early release, but all v3 will eventually have liquid cables.

That means no new battery pack, but hey might tweak the battery hardware, increase usable charge and power... If true, just whoa.

lukestern:

Model Y unveiling on March 14
    https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1102332778492772352

An unveiling like the vaporware Roadster a while back that is nowhere to be seen? ... another cash grab from deposits to be able to keep paying the bills... brilliant scheme until you run out of suckers, wonder what the next imaginary model will be when they Y's deposits run out....

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688691 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408755 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255552 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234810 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65401 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857627 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773465 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM