Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Roadster

Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:

Nothing new. Everyone knows build quality is not a priority for Tesla, technology is. Their satisfied customers are willing for that trade off.

https://insideevs.com/news/397286/tesla-model-3-loose-bolts/

Those are end of month end of quarter cars. It is well known that Tesla always pushes at the end to make and delivery cars to make up numbers for Wall Street for the stock price.

Buy a car made early in the month or quarter and it will be fine. 

Also nothing new, everyone knows not to buy Italian cars made Monday morning or Friday afternoon for the longest time Smiley

--

A parody from last week

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

...the social skills of Rain Man...

That video reminded me of a Tesla owner or two.

I suggest complete rectal cranial inversion. Keeps you from having to keep that mind from opening. 
    personally I have never expended any energy on a negative smear campaign.  I just don’t see how that would be beneficial or rewarding.  I enjoy expounding the virtues of positive experiences I have had.  Why anyone without personal knowledge objects and group thinks their way into a negative posture regardless of facts is a total mystery.  But as a psyc major and big fan of persuasive powers I enjoy the somewhat strange challenge these off the wall comments present each day.  Something keeps telling me I will have the last laugh. 🙃 perhaps I smell desperation. 

Tesla might start producing Semis later this year. Interesting video about electric semi-trucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJL9MasBFvM

According to the 10-K filing, Tesla revenues in USA are actually falling year-on-year... Smiley

DC461D99-DD78-4C06-AAA4-3DBBBB64C573.png

...the 2020 Q1 report is going to be rather interesting!?! Smiley

Tesla has also announced a $2.0 billion secondary offering too.  https://electrek.co/2020/02/13/tesla-tsla-capital-raise-2-billion-elon-musk-said-it-doest-make-sense/. Opening new markets for its Model 3 has allowed it to hide its falling U.S. demand.  

6-8 week wait. They can’t make them quickly enough. Mine is worth more than I paid if I want to sell it. Good problem to have. 
    You draw interesting conclusions.  They are about to announce their 5th giga factory. Most likely in Texas. 

Customer got his Autopilot activated again on his car, it was all apparently a... "miscommunication" indecision

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/13/21136699/tesla-autopilot-used-model-s-owner-restored-assistance-features

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Leawood911:

6-8 week wait. They can’t make them quickly enough. Mine is worth more than I paid if I want to sell it. Good problem to have. 
    You draw interesting conclusions.  They are about to announce their 5th giga factory. Most likely in Texas. 

I’ve lived long enough to learn the various forms of accounting chicanery. 

Tesla Model 3 Performance versus a 2020 Audi RS6 in a drag race.  Wonder which car wins...

https://youtu.be/xA08EW8rBAs

CGX car nut:

Tesla Model 3 Performance versus a 2020 Audi RS6 in a drag race.  Wonder which car wins...

Great!  You found a car which is quicker, in the rain. Who drag races in the rain?  Anyway that is awesome either way.  The Audi costs twice as much, five times as much to operate and has likely 50% more power. Cool stats and yet sooo close.  Not certain this makes Tesla look as bad as you had intended. Lol. 

Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:

Great!  You found a car which is quicker, in the rain. Who drag races in the rain?  Anyway that is awesome either way.  The Audi costs twice as much, five times as much to operate and has likely 50% more power. Cool stats and yet sooo close.  Not certain this makes Tesla look as bad as you had intended. Lol. 

Your response met my desired intentions.  

CGX car nut:
    Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:

Your response met my desired intentions.  

Awesome. My intention is just to inject my own observations as a happy owner and driver.   Why this seems like some type of pissing contest to some is really strange. I’m not offended in any way. Pretty normal in understanding cars and the one I’m driving.  Cheers and TGIF. 
    happy Valentines Day!

Hi Leawood! Hope Valentines Day went well. Feel free to ignore the following question.wink

I took a moment to look at Tesla stock, and while I understand the trading value is solely a function of what someone is willing to pay, I still found the underlying book value to be a weak support for the trading value.

Really simple accounting: Assets less Liabilities equals Owners Equity.

Owners Equity is represented by stock shares which when taken together and multiplied by the current trading price yields a theoretical market value known as Market Capitalization.

Tesla assets 32 billion, liabilities 26 billion; owner’s equity 6 billion. Trading at 160 billion.

Ford assets 258 billion, liabilities 225 billion; owner’s equity 33 billion. Trading at 32 billion.

GM assets 228 billion, liabilities 182 billion; owner’s equity 46 billion. Trading at 50 billion.

I keep hearing news about Tesla’s Market Cap value and how they have exceeded GM and Ford combined (by a wide margin); but how does one expect a newby to the chassis building business, who is employing a far simpler than traditional drive train, to come out so far ahead of the competition?

The Tesla Cult's justification for the irrational valuations always is that Tesla is a tech company with products and services beyond that of the legacy automakers.  When asked to explain what is different about Tesla, the response is always the same: Tesla is the future and just like an iPhone.  That still doesn't explain its valuation beyond the company being a speculative bubble.

One has read posts by a certain individual proclaiming the greatness, for example, of Tesla's traction control in all weather conditions. Comments indicated that no other vehicle is as capable as a Tesla.  However, when a Model 3 Performance lost a drag race to a new Audi RS6, that same poster went on the warpath to condemn a race being held in rainy conditions.  If Tesla's traction control was so finely honed, and it should be as electrical systems react much quicker than mechanical based systems, the Tesla should have walked on the Audi.  It didn't.  

The Tiff Needel video provided that you get what you pay for, if you are driving a new Audi RS6.  The Tesla Model 3 isn't a bad product but it isn't an Audi RS6, Porsche 911, nor does it have the finesse and feel of a BMW M3/4.  

“Tesla has another turbulent week as it's forced to recall 15,000 Model X SUVs”

(13 February 2020)

A turbulent fortnight for electric car giant Tesla has continued after it announced a recall of thousands of its Model X SUV vehicles in North America over power steering problems.

Transport Canada and America's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) say the SUV's aluminum bolts that attach the electric power steering gear assist motor to the gear housing may corrode and break causing a reduction or complete loss of power steering assist in some 2016 model year vehicles. 

It is the second major recall to affect Tesla in the last two years, following the March 2018 recall of 123,000 Model S vehicles, which was also over matters regarding faulty steering problems. 

The recall of the Model X SUV vehicle (above) is the second major recall in the last two years

The recall of the Model X SUV vehicle (above) is the second major recall in the last two years

No injuries or crashes have been associated with the Model X recall says the NHTSA, but Tesla admitted they 'observed excessive corrosion' on the aluminium bolts, which could potentially cause grave harm to passengers.

Were these bolts to fail they say, the model would require 'more force to turn the steering wheel, especially during low speed parking maneouvres.' 

Tesla says it will put a corrosion prevention sealer in all its affected models in case drivers later use them in cold weather environments. 

The recall covers nearly 15,000 Model X vehicles built before mid-October 2016, with 14,193 in the United States and 843 vehicles in Canada. 

A Tesla UK spokesman told This is Money that no UK customer cars would have been affected as the US firm had not started deliveries of right-hand-drive models to Britain until the end of December 2016.  

It comes on the back of a difficult two weeks for the automotive giant, which has taken a major financial hit from the coronavirus outbreak in China.

Last week, Tesla's share price rocketed on Monday and Tuesday from $650 at the start of the week to a record close of $887 the following day, a cumulative rise of 36 per cent. At one point, it almost hit $970 a share.

Tesla's Shanghai plant was reopened on Monday following an extended shutdown

Tesla's Shanghai plant was reopened on Monday following an extended shutdown

On Wednesday though, the share price tumbled by 17 per cent after a company executive in China said the coronavirus would delay deliveries of its Model 3 brand. Then on Thursday, it announced it was temporarily closing its Chinese stores. 

Car production at its Shanghai plant had also been shut down for an extended period before reopening on Monday. The share price briefly rose above $800 again before ending at around $770.

Tesla also announced today that it is looking to provide a new China-made Model 3 variant, which would potentially have a longer range and be rear-wheel drive.

On Monday, it was revealed that Apple engineer Walter Huang who died in a car crash in March 2018 had complained to friends about his Tesla Model X's Autopilot system malfunctioning. 

The scene of the March 2018 crash, which killed Apple engineer Walter Huang

The scene of the March 2018 crash, which killed Apple engineer Walter Huang 

Documents released by the NHTSA showed that his SUV car did not break or steer in the three seconds before it smashed into a concrete barrier. 

But it also said Mr Huang was using his mobile phone when the car crashed and that his hands were not on the steering wheel. 

The NHTSA is also investigating a crash that took place the next year in Delray Beach, Florida which killed Jeremy Banner. It has not yet ascertained what led to the crash.

_________

“Tesla to Recall Over 3,000 Model X Electric SUVs in China Over Steering Problem” (Reuters)

This announcement comes shortly after Tesla said that it will be recalling 15,000 Model X SUVs in North America because of similar issues. 

(15 February 2020)

Tesla Model X (Image: Reuters)

Tesla Inc will recall 3,183 Model X vehicles in China, because of a potential issue that could make steering harder and increase the risk of a crash, according to the country's market regulator. Tesla will recall the sport-utility vehicles made in 2016 from June, according to a statement from the State Administration for Market Regulation on Friday.

This announcement comes shortly after Tesla recalled 15,000 Model X SUVs in North America due to a power steering issue that could make steering harder and increase the risk of a crash. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and Transport Canada said aluminium bolts that attach the electric power steering gear assist motor to the gear housing may corrode and break causing a reduction or complete loss of power steering assist.

The recall applies to 2016 model year X vehicles. Tesla said the vehicles being recalled include most Model X vehicles built before mid-October 2016, but the move does not affect vehicles built after that date. Tesla issued a similar recall in March 2018 for 123,000 Model S vehicles worldwide built before April 2016 that called for replacing steering assist motor bolts.

NHTSA said there are no known crashes or injuries associated with the Model X recall. The recall covers 14,193 US vehicles and 843 in Canada. Tesla will arrange for the replacement of the mounting bolts and will also replace the steering gear if needed, Transport Canada said.

Tesla said it has "observed excessive corrosion on the bolts that attach this component to the steering gear in affected Model X vehicles" and primarily in areas with very cold climates that use road salts. Tesla said if the bolts fail it would require "more force to turn the steering wheel, especially during low-speed parking manoeuvres."

Tesla said it was not aware of any injuries or collisions relating to the power steering component. Tesla added drivers can continue to operate their Model X SUVs before the issue is addressed. Tesla said it will contact owners to schedule appointments when parts are available.

Tesla said it will also apply a corrosion-preventative sealer in all affected Model X vehicles to account for the possibility that vehicles may later be used in cold climates.

Link: https://www.news18.com/news/auto/tesla-to-recall-over-3000-model-x-electric-suvs-in-china-over-steering-problem-2500655.html

Smiley

“Mr Huang was using his mobile phone when the car crashed and that his hands were not on the steering wheel.“ - and he expected to survive? Good luck to anyone who does that. 

boytronic:

“Mr Huang was using his mobile phone when the car crashed and that his hands were not on the steering wheel.“ - and he expected to survive? Good luck to anyone who does that. 

Naming their cruise control system Autopilot gave people false idea about how the car drives, not being insensitive but just pointing out the obvious, he deserves to die when he is not controlling his own car nor paying attention while driving.

Thank god his car didn't hit another car and killed innocent people. 

--

Cool. Look guys. I can’t see you guys ever appreciating something new or different. Most post here are just to somehow satisfy some dark urge to prove I am wrong and evil. Car guy has these fantasy that a lifelong Porsche owner like me needs his brain examined somehow.  Even my best friend seems to need me to explain the irrational movement of stock prices.  Maybe a better question for him is why is Ford so undervalued?  It is simply about what people think the future holds.  Good enough? While I obviously can’t and never have explained the stock price other than a better prediction than most here it may be a good indication of how people who own and have driven the cars feel. I get that part. 
    I will stop posting, not because you guys are so frigging smart, but because it is a total waste of time and frankly you all can keep your dreams of awesome interiors alive longer. You deserve not owning an electric car. They are horrible. Now eat you vegetables. 

A review of the Tesla Model 3 by Honest John... Smiley

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92S_AZAsq0k

Smiley

“It has body control like an Evangelical Christian” lol... Nice review!

That review probably triggered a Tesla drama queen or two.  

Leawood911:

.........  Even my best friend seems to need me to explain the irrational movement of stock prices.  Maybe a better question for him is why is Ford so undervalued?..........

No worries, I asked you to ignore that question because I was more interested in others opinions on the stock price; but yes you are quite correct that it is just a matter of peoples expectations of the future. It's how all big bubbles are built. After looking at owner's equity on the balance sheet relative to the market cap of a stock, there are then many adjustments based on revenue etc., but it is a starting point. Tesla is trading at a price so high that even the most extremely rosy predictions cannot justify the current price. It is far better than any other auto company and even much better than a couple of large tech companies. Could it truly be the best of both worlds ? Smiley  (and not concerned about Ford)  some rough figures below:

Tesla does make an incredibly serene car with amazing acceleration. Commendable attributes that should be  focused on to project a positive image. Safety would also be a major positive if not for the self inflicted wound that is auto pilot. Most other attributes are average.

Assets Liab Owners Eq Market Cap MC/OE    
    32 26 6 160 26.66667 Tesla  
    286 184 102 1270 12.45098 MSFT  
    270 74 196 1000 5.102041 Google  
    228 182 46 50 1.086957 GM  
    104 78 26 26 1 FiatChrysler
    258 225 33 32 0.969697 Ford  
    458 340 118 85 0.720339 VW  
    304 233 71 50 0.704225 Daimler  

Ford has structural issues that existed well before Tesla even was founded.  When Billy Clay Ford became Chairman, he took control of the second largest automaker in the world.  Under his astute guidance, the company is outside the top five global automakers.  Hiring Alan Mulally was the only bright spot in Ford’s lackluster performance.  Until the rest of the Ford family forces out Billy Clay, its opportunities are limited. 

Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:

Also looks 100x better than the Tesla 3. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/615244/hackers-can-trick-a-tesla-into-accelerating-by-50-miles-per-hour/

👀

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

This is a well known attack and not limited to Teslas, which makes it even more scary. Have a look at  https://spectrum.ieee.org/cars-that-think/transportation/sensors/slight-street-sign-modifications-can-fool-machine-learning-algo... or  https://openai.com/blog/adversarial-example-research/  

schmoell:

This is a well known attack and not limited to Teslas, which makes it even more scary. Have a look at  https://spectrum.ieee.org/cars-that-think/transportation/sensors/slight-street-sign-modifications-can-fool-machine-learning-algo... or  https://openai.com/blog/adversarial-example-research/  

The McAfee study is new, this is why I mentioned it. It took 18 months and included the "initial" Berkley professor Song  "attack" you were probably referring to. The MobilEye EyeQ3 system has been updated with new cameras but many older Teslas (and only them) are still driving around with the old system, which is prone to these "attacks".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uGV_fRj0UA

Newer camera systems are apparently not susceptible to this "attack" but we both know that it is probably only matter of time... Smiley

--

Thanks for the YT link. Newer Teslas do not read traffic signs but use GPS position and a central database. Works as well as the automatic wipers. Guess, that I'm safe from this type of attack angry

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM