Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Roadster

“Bosch unveils first production-ready long-range lidar”

System uses light sensors to detect obstacles and could be critical for self-driving cars

Lidar works by emitting laser pulses and then analysing the light as it's scattered back...

(3 December 2019)

Set to be demonstrated at next week’s Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, the lidar covers both short and long ranges and is intended to be combined with existing radar and camera technology, “complementing each other perfectly and delivering reliable information in every driving situation”.

Lidar stands for ‘light detection and ranging’. Such systems use light sensors to generate a three-dimensional view of the road, improving the ability of autonomous cars to perceive traffic and other obstacles.

By emitting laser pulses and then capturing and analysing the light that is scattered back, the sensors calculate the distance between themselves and other objects, including not only other vehicles but also smaller obstructions such as rocks on the road.

A big advantage of lidar is that it can detect narrow objects such as bikes, which radar can miss, and isn’t susceptible to strong light as cameras are. This, claims Bosch, makes it the ideal accompaniment to the other systems.

Bosch board member Harald Kröger said: “By filling the sensor gap, Bosch is making automated driving a viable possibility in the first place.

“We want to make automated driving safe, convenient and fascinating. In this way, we will be making a decisive contribution to the mobility of the future.” 

Link: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-ces/bosch-unveils-first-production-ready-long-range-lidar

Smiley

Six weeks ago some guy texted Elon Musk that it would be great if the dash cam could autosave whenever the horn was used.  The feature was just introduced as part of a software upgrade.  It's impossible to imagine Volkswagen or any other legacy automaker doing something similar.  Sure, Elon is a tool and the Tesla fans are almost as obnoxious as the detractors, but it is impressive what he's accomplished.

waiting for PDK:

Six weeks ago some guy texted Elon Musk that it would be great if the dash cam could autosave whenever the horn was used.  The feature was just introduced as part of a software upgrade.  It's impossible to imagine Volkswagen or any other legacy automaker doing something similar.  Sure, Elon is a tool and the Tesla fans are almost as obnoxious as the detractors, but it is impressive what he's accomplished.

The updates are impressive but one should be careful to keep up with the release notes. The car is like continuing education for the owner. They do allow you disable updates. 
    If someone wanted to make serious money - make some racing type seat that offers some friggin support. The car has roller coaster ridiculous limits and you feel like you are sitting on a swing set. (During normal driving they are very comfortable though). If I could move my sport adaptive seats! 
    Took my Turbo out for a fancy dinner date last night. Still love driving around it and shifting the beast. The T3 is just the best all around OTHER car. Don’t ever forget I am always a 911 driver.  Heading to the shitty ass dealer today to see if he ever got a 992 in. I can’t call to find out because they don’t know what I’m talking about when I ask. I kid you not. 

C7D1A764-AC94-428C-B8D1-FE71250ACA85.png

...what has happened to Tesla delivery volumes in the USA? Smiley

I will say that their focus was on international deliveries. They have no problem with demand. Let me know if you ever see a TV commercial or advertisement. 

Boxster Coupe GTS:

C7D1A764-AC94-428C-B8D1-FE71250ACA85.png

...what has happened to Tesla delivery volumes in the USA? Smiley

Their factory can only make so many cars a year. They were only doing USA market for the longest time and RoW demand is still there. It's only logical for them to divert production to fulfill worldwide demand than to continue making cars for the saturated US market. 

it is one sound business decision they are making.

--

I had to wait 7 weeks for my M3P.....

--

Tesla Model S P100d. 2018 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance. 2020 Aston Martin Vantage. 2020 Mclaren 720S coupe. 🥳

EnglishManInNY:

Simple, cause Tesla had already shifted production to RoW production and less cars are produced for the US market.

--

Whoopsy:
    EnglishManInNY:

Simple, cause Tesla had already shifted production to RoW production and less cars are produced for the US market.

True but until I see commercials on TV Or any type of advertisements I’m going to assume they can’t build them fast enough. Good problem to have. 

Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:
    EnglishManInNY:

True but until I see commercials on TV Or any type of advertisements I’m going to assume they can’t build them fast enough. Good problem to have. 

No need to assume. The output of the Fremont plant is maxed. They have a bottleneck there. If Elon can solve that, they can make a bit more cars there.

--

Had to design a wrap for the CEO of Foodmaker, a healthy food brand, who bought a Model X. It came out perfect. kiss

Rentesla1.jpg

1578479830074Rentesla2.jpg

--

997.2 4S / BMW 745e / Donkervoort GT 

Love it! indecision kiss 

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Brilliant advertising. Obviously successful if they afford an X. I bet those healthy eaters love electric cars. Why not?

Also - best way to hide those panel gaps. 

So we had an ice storm last night. I took the Tesla out with new snow and ice tires mounted. All I can say was fucking amazing traction.  Out of this world. Almost as fast off the line on ice as in rain or dry.  I have never felt so much confidence in a vehicle on ice. Totally lien away. A child could drive this in a blizzard. The Porsche with the same tires would have killed me trying half of what I did. 
    that is all I have to say on the topic. If you have driven one of these in ice let us know your thoughts. 
     Beers and Cheers!  Go KC Chiefs ve Texans tomorrow!

37ADA3F1-DAED-47BC-BD48-5C97FD3F26EE.jpeg

...a vision of the future for Tesla? Smiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:

37ADA3F1-DAED-47BC-BD48-5C97FD3F26EE.jpeg

...a vision of the future for Tesla? Smiley

Rapid transit to the no tell motel. Got to love it.  Wonder if the motel subsidized the cost?  
    Not certain about the shape but our concept of cars will change. 

On an unrelated note - my dash and sentry cam footage is priceless.  Parked outside a nightclub last night and later watched the couple in the car next to me screwing like animals.  Watch what you do parked near a Tesla.  All cameras are recording everything.  The new honk to save footage is also useful.  It ensures the last ten minutes or so are saved. So after the fact you just tap the horn and review what all cameras recorded.

U.S. will look at sudden acceleration complaints involving 500,000 Tesla vehicles

David Shepardson

•  
    •  
    •  

Photo

FILE PHOTO: A Tesla Model S steering wheel is on display at the Canadian International AutoShow in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, February 13, 2019. 

REUTERS/MARK BLINCH

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said Friday it will review a petition asking the agency to formally investigate 500,000 Tesla Inc vehicles over sudden unintended acceleration reports.

The petition covers 2012 through 2019 model year Tesla Model S, 2016 through 2019 Tesla Model X, and 2018 through 2019 Tesla Model 3 vehicles, the agency said. The petition cites "127 consumer complaints to NHTSA involving 123 unique vehicles. The reports include 110 crashes and 52 injuries," the agency added. 

Tesla did not immediately comment Friday.

Many of the complaints report sudden acceleration incidents when attempting to park vehicles in a garage or at a curb. Others claimed the sudden acceleration happened while in traffic or when using driver assistance systems and led to crashes.

In one complaint, a driver said a 2015 Tesla Model S 85D in California was closed and locked when he claimed "a few moments later the vehicle started accelerating forward towards the street and crashed into a parked car."

A Tesla driver in Avondale, Pennsylvania, was pulling into a parking spot at an elementary school when the vehicle accelerated on its own, the complaint said adding: "It went over a curb and into a chain link fence."

Another complaint said a Tesla driver in Andover, Massachusetts was approaching her garage door "when the car suddenly lurched forward: and "went through the garage door destroying two garage doors." The Tesla stopped when it hit the garage's concrete wall. 

In October, the agency said it was reviewing whether Tesla should have recalled 2,000 of its electric cars in May instead of issuing a software upgrade to fix a potential defect that could have resulted in battery fires in Model S and Model X vehicles from the 2012-2019 model years.

The 2,000 vehicles covered by the September petition to the NHTSA received a battery management software upgrade in May in response to a potential flaw that could trigger non-crash-related fires. A lawyer who filed the petition, Edward Chen, told Reuters in October that he strongly believes "this number is much larger than 2,000." The review is ongoing.

Last week, NHTSA said it was probing the Dec. 29 crash of a Tesla Model 3 that left a passenger dead after the vehicle collided with a parked fire truck in Indiana.

The crash is the 14th involving Tesla that NHTSA's special crash investigation program has taken up in which it suspects the company's so-called Autopilot or other advanced driver assistance system was in use.

(Reporting by David Shepardson; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama and Nick Zieminski)

Wow. 500000 Tesla’s suddenly accelerated and killed everyone.  It will be fun to see the outcome of these investigations. Please do let us know how it actually turns out. Lately there have been many very interesting 🧐 investigations and allegation in the US. 
    cheers

The 10 cars most sold in Switzerland in 2019 :

1. Skodia Octavia 

2. VV Tiguan 

3. VW Golf 

4. Tesla Model 3

5. Mercedes GLC

6. Mercedes Classe A 

7. Skodia Kodiaq

8. Skodia Karoq

9. Mercedes Classe C 

10. VW Polo 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

No Bmw on that list. Interesting. Skodia v popular. 

--

Tesla Model S P100d. 2018 991.2 GT3. 2019 BMW M850i Convertible. 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance. 2020 Aston Martin Vantage. 2020 Mclaren 720S coupe. 🥳

https://www.latimes.com/business/autos/story/2020-01-17/tesla-unintended-acceleration-claims-nhtsa-review

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

I hope they don’t discover how fast these cars are and neuter them. All joking aside I can imagine that if there is a problem it is in software. This can be part of an over the air update for all cars and corrected. A great example of how well this has been developed and implemented.  Of course the downside - and I am always fair and balanced, is that tomorrow’s update may bring a new bug or danger.  Pretty much the world we now live in.  
    Might be a good time to pick up a few shares.  Beers to all!

Leawood911:

I hope they don’t discover how fast these cars are and neuter them. All joking aside I can imagine that if there is a problem it is in software. This can be part of an over the air update for all cars and corrected. A great example of how well this has been developed and implemented.  Of course the downside - and I am always fair and balanced, is that tomorrow’s update may bring a new bug or danger.  Pretty much the world we now live in.  

Be happy you don't live in Germany: After around 10 kickdowns (Tesla model 3 Performance), the battery overheats (when driving on the Autobahn) and there is suddenly a substantial power loss. Great engineering. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    Leawood911:

Be happy you don't live in Germany: After around 10 kickdowns (Tesla model 3 Performance), the battery overheats (when driving on the Autobahn) and there is suddenly a substantial power loss. Great engineering. Smiley

I have not seen any power loss with the type of driving I do.  I would be surprised that the morel3 battery overheats as much as you say. Of course I don’t have an autobahn nearby. If just running at high speed I don’t think it would be a problem. Constant off and on to top speed?  Perhaps but who does that in a car which is second to a turbo in the garage or a Lamborghini. 

lukestern:
    RC:

https://www.latimes.com/business/autos/story/2020-01-17/tesla-unintended-acceleration-claims-nhtsa-review

That NHTSA Tesla “Sudden Unintended Acceleration” Petition? Created By A TSLA Short Seller Who Doesn’t Own A Tesla

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/01/19/that-nhtsa-tesla-sudden-unintended-acceleration-petition-created-by-a-tsla-short-seller-who...

It's more like a sudden unwillingness to decelerate...............

I don't think Tesla has a sudden unintended acceleration problem like those Toyotas did before. 

It's more of a problem of those owner' over reliance on a cruise control system, with a deceptive name that suggested it's automated. It's not. The system can only do so much and needs supervision which those said owners do not apply. 

--

I drive my Tesla’s hard and never experienced any heat or overheat issues.  The M3P is def a upgrade battery tech wise over my P100D. Will be interesting what Tesla releases next. 

--

Whoopsy:
    lukestern:
    RC:

That NHTSA Tesla “Sudden Unintended Acceleration” Petition? Created By A TSLA Short Seller Who Doesn’t Own A Tesla

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/01/19/that-nhtsa-tesla-sudden-unintended-acceleration-petition-created-by-a-tsla-short-seller-who...

I don't think Tesla has a sudden unintended acceleration problem like those Toyotas did before. 

It's more of a problem of those owner' over reliance on a cruise control system, with a deceptive name that suggested it's automated. It's not. The system can only do so much and needs supervision which those said owners do not apply. 

I wish you understood the Model 3 and Tesla’s better.  This car actually stops unintended acceleration when people mistake the pedal in that it will not go if something is in the way.  Cruise control does slow down and everything works as advertised and then some. Oh my.  Will there be some idiot who don’t know how to use it?  Should we go back to walking until they figure it out?   It is safer and less likely to be in an accident than anything else out there.  Find me one car with more safety built In. Even in the cheapest model. 

Leawood911:
    Whoopsy:
    lukestern:
    RC:

I wish you understood the Model 3 and Tesla’s better.  This car actually stops unintended acceleration when people mistake the pedal in that it will not go if something is in the way.  Cruise control does slow down and everything works as advertised and then some. Oh my.  Will there be some idiot who don’t know how to use it?  Should we go back to walking until they figure it out?   It is safer and less likely to be in an accident than anything else out there.  Find me one car with more safety built In. Even in the cheapest model. 

I give you one more chance to re-read what I wrote to make sure you actually understood what I wrote, instead of blindly just objecting to whatever I write, before I write the next reply. 

--

EnglishManInNY:

I drive my Tesla’s hard and never experienced any heat or overheat issues.  The M3P is def a upgrade battery tech wise over my P100D. Will be interesting what Tesla releases next. 

You have a highway without speed limit in the US? Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff0F5f9bmwc (with English subtitles)

The battery overheating happened at 18°C outside temp. Just imagine what would happen in summer.

2020-01-21_09-46-23.jpg

Background: Nextmove is the biggest Tesla rental/lease company in Germany, so definitely not somebody who is anti-Tesla.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765145 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437101 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261327 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258151 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82733 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877385 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809596 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM