Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Tesla Roadster

0-60 mph: 1,9s
    Top speed: 250+ mph (400+ km/h)
    Quarter mile (0-402m):  8,8s
    0-100mph (0-160km/h): 4,2s
    All wheel drive
    3 electric motors
    Wheel torque: 10.000nm
    200 kWh battery
    621 miles (1000 km) range
    4 seats and luggage compartment
    Production start 2020

Base price: $200.000
    Founders series: $250.000 (1000 cars)

Re: Tesla Roadster

I quite like it (for a Tesla) indecision

Looking very good ! and those specs are impressive. lets see how they deliver. 

Why they introduce new models when they don't have a production line for Model 3 yet?

that price/performance proposition would create some headache to pure sportscar brands....

Apparently one of the journalists at the launch party asked why the aerodynamics of the new Tesla Roadster appear rather under-developed with a distinct lack of downforce compared to other 250mph hypercars... Smiley

...it seems that - thanks to the flux capacitor - above 88mph the Tesla Roadster doesn't need roads!

Smiley

If Tesla should survive as an independent company until 2020 this would be a major success already... They should focus to resolve the disaster they are in right now and not add other trucks, speedsters etc. to a product portfolio that exists in the virtual only (model 3).

wantone:

Why they introduce new models when they don't have a production line for Model 3 yet?

Good question. Maybe this is exactly the reason why they give an outlook... Smiley

Car looks good (clean lines, I like it), performance is also impressive. Will put a lot of pressure on Porsche and Co. for future sports cars and could be forcing them to re-think their ELV strategy.

On the other hand, I wonder how much this thing weights...and how it does on the track.

Also, how many will be built with a manual transmission? Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

MKSGR:

If Tesla should survive as an independent company until 2020 this would be a major success already... They should focus to resolve the disaster they are in right now and not add other trucks, speedsters etc. to a product portfolio that exists in the virtual only (model 3).

Good point, well made.

Speaking to equity and credit analysts that cover Tesla, it is evident that Model 3 delays and capex plus operating costs resulting in significant cash burn. Q3 results poor and share price down 20% from high, so not a good backdrop to raise equity. But the company needs to raise liquidity before year-end to avoid "going concern" discussion with auditors!

So what do they do?

Announce a speculative new product and ask the first 1000 customers to pay $250k upfront, i.e. a $250 million interest free unsecured loan for 3 years or so. 

If the company fails to deliver in 2018, the Roadster will never make production and customers will have lost their $250 million in deposits, given there is $10 billion in senior ranking debt.

Here's a quote from the Financial Times...

"The company has already begun to take reservations for the new Roadster, which will cost $200,000 when it is released in at least three years’ time. Prospective buyers must pay a $45,000 deposit, but the first 1,000 produced will be a limited-edition “Founders Series” costing $250,000 upfront.

If Mr Musk succeeds in selling all those to his wealthy fans in Silicon Valley and beyond, it will give Tesla’s finances an instant $250m boost."

FT article link: http://app.ft.com/cms/s/095e5a76-cb4f-11e7-ab18-7a9fb7d6163e.html

Omg I think I just wet myself smiley 

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2017 Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2020 Porsche Mission E on order

Boxster Coupe GTS:
    MKSGR:

Good point, well made.

Speaking to equity and credit analysts that cover Tesla, it is evident that Model 3 delays and capex plus operating costs resulting in significant cash burn. Q3 results poor and share price down 20% from high, so not a good backdrop to raise equity. But the company needs to raise liquidity before year-end to avoid "going concern" discussion with auditors!

So what do they do?

Announce a speculative new product and ask the first 1000 customers to pay $250k upfront, i.e. a $250 million interest free unsecured loan for 3 years or so. 

If the company fails to deliver in 2018, the Roadster will never make production and customers will have lost their $250 million in deposits, given there is $10 billion in senior ranking debt.

Here's a quote from the Financial Times...

"The company has already begun to take reservations for the new Roadster, which will cost $200,000 when it is released in at least three years’ time. Prospective buyers must pay a $45,000 deposit, but the first 1,000 produced will be a limited-edition “Founders Series” costing $250,000 upfront.

If Mr Musk succeeds in selling all those to his wealthy fans in Silicon Valley and beyond, it will give Tesla’s finances an instant $250m boost."

FT article link: http://app.ft.com/cms/s/095e5a76-cb4f-11e7-ab18-7a9fb7d6163e.html

Tesla customers may be so stupid to pay for crazy phantasies of Mr Tusk Smiley The bubble will burst soon.

Markus, these "crazy fantasies" weren't so crazy as far as I can tell...but I think that Tesla should do their model 3 "homework" first before they start with something completely new. Just saying... yes

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Brooks from Drag Times testing it out. He owns a S P100DL so he knows his stuff and is mighty impressed...

In the video it's also mentioned that the car can do "this all day long"... And actually they're also doing just that with the test car that run around with different passengers... Probably some improvements in the battery tech and cooling compared with X/S.

This car will for sure stir the pot a bit and make Porsche and others prioritizing their EV sports car program even more. Great for us customers to say the least and some interesting years ahead in this space Smiley

Porsche has just been put on notice for EV sports cars if you ask me...

RC:

Markus, these "crazy fantasies" weren't so crazy as far as I can tell...but I think that Tesla should do their model 3 "homework" first before they start with something completely new. Just saying... yes

Actually its a good move, its a way to get suckers to give them cash deposits that in turn they can use to fund their cash burning at 0 interest Smiley

Funny that its a "roadster" not a sedan yet all they do is test 0-60mph accelerations on the video, not a single curve or handling, that says it all about it, and even more so about the clients. If I'm at the event and all they do is take me for a 0-60mph stupid run and don't show me how it handles I'd be pissed and not amused.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

noone1:

Tesla certainly upped the game (and pressure) here but can they deliver?

Look at Fisker and his one minute charging battery "breakthrough". Can he deliver?

I remain skeptical.

--

It's highly unlikely Tesla even in bankruptcy would burn depositors.

Fisker is still vaporware and speak about Solid State Batteries that currently only exist in lab environment. Fisker does not have any other business area where they deliver and this is their shot at it.

Tesla roadster however, as shown in movies, does actually exist even though there still are things not yet ready with the car. And they also proven that they can manufacture and deliver Model S/X in modest volumes close to 100k/year. This Roadster is hardly a volume car so they won't run into the same ramp up problems like with Model 3.

lukestern:

Fisker is still vaporware and speak about Solid State Batteries that currently only exist in lab environment. Fisker does not have any other business area where they deliver and this is their shot at it.

Tesla roadster however, as shown in movies, does actually exist even though there still are things not yet ready with the car. And they also proven that they can manufacture and deliver Model S/X in modest volumes close to 100k/year. This Roadster is hardly a volume car so they won't run into the same ramp up problems like with Model 3.

If Tesla succeeds in making the Roadster happen and it delivers the performance (maybe even on the track), it could certainly raise Tesla's reputation (and stock value), bringing in more fresh money.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    RC:

Actually its a good move, its a way to get suckers to give them cash deposits that in turn they can use to fund their cash burning at 0 interest Smiley

Funny that its a "roadster" not a sedan yet all they do is test 0-60mph accelerations on the video, not a single curve or handling, that says it all about it, and even more so about the clients. If I'm at the event and all they do is take me for a 0-60mph stupid run and don't show me how it handles I'd be pissed and not amused.

Chassis-setup is probably one of the areas where they will work hard before car is ready for production. It's not that usual that "average joe" get the opportunity to ride in a prototype 2-3 years before release. Having people experience some quick acceleration in a early prototype is quite a good move. And people seem to like it if you browse around the internet. Only on expert forums like this where these type of questions pop up Smiley

We'll see how it drives in 2020 when it's ready.

noone1:

Erm, you might like to do a bit or research on Chapter 11 and ranking of creditors...

Recovery on Customer Deposits

"Bankruptcy Code Section 507(a)(7) establishes a priority for unsecured claims of individuals arising from Customer Deposits towards the purchase of goods that were not delivered up to a maximum of $2,600.  The remaining portion of the un-refunded deposit would become a general unsecured claim. Consumers owed deposits are only paid after all of the secured creditors and administrative expenses of the bankruptcy (such as bankruptcy lawyers’ fees) are paid.  As priority creditors, holders of deposits would be paid up to $2,600 before any general unsecured obligations of the retailer are satisfied."

...Tesla secured debt is highly likely to exceed available liquidity under a Chapter 11 scenario, so customer deposits are likely to be facing a maximum recovery of $2,600 -- or more likely zero!  Smiley

If you are happy to give Tesla a free unsecured loan for 3 or more years, which the market will not, it might be a good idea to hedge your exposure... Smiley

In Midnight Silver with black magnesium wheels. Interesting to see the Michelin Pilot Cup 2 tires. 325/30/21 in the back  and massive Carbon Ceramic brakes

lukestern:

In Midnight Silver with black magnesium wheels. Interesting to see the Michelin Pilot Cup 2 tires. 325/30/21 in the back and massive Carbon Ceramic brakes...

To make this car fast on the track, he needs to keep the weight on the lower part of the car, so I guess they will somehow place the battery all over the bottom to make that happen, especially around the rear and middle part of the bottom (front could be a bad idea).

Will be interesting... Smiley

--

RC:

To make this car fast on the track, he needs to keep the weight on the lower part of the car, so I guess they will somehow place the battery all over the bottom to make that happen, especially around the rear and middle part of the bottom (front could be a bad idea).

Will be interesting... Smiley

They will most likely use a similar platform like the skateboard in X/S with batteries in the floor between the axles. difference will be 2+1 motors in the rear/front instead of 1+1.

RC:
    noone1:

Tesla certainly upped the game (and pressure) here but can they deliver?

Look at Fisker and his one minute charging battery "breakthrough". Can he deliver?

I remain skeptical.

They cannot even "deliver" a low-budget car like the Model 3 Smiley They are probably working full power on raising capital these days to avoid bankruptcy...

Boxster Coupe GTS:
    noone1:

Erm, you might like to do a bit or research on Chapter 11 and ranking of creditors...

Recovery on Customer Deposits

"Bankruptcy Code Section 507(a)(7) establishes a priority for unsecured claims of individuals arising from Customer Deposits towards the purchase of goods that were not delivered up to a maximum of $2,600.  The remaining portion of the un-refunded deposit would become a general unsecured claim. Consumers owed deposits are only paid after all of the secured creditors and administrative expenses of the bankruptcy (such as bankruptcy lawyers’ fees) are paid.  As priority creditors, holders of deposits would be paid up to $2,600 before any general unsecured obligations of the retailer are satisfied."

...Tesla secured debt is highly likely to exceed available liquidity under a Chapter 11 scenario, so customer deposits are likely to be facing a maximum recovery of $2,600 -- or more likely zero!  Smiley

If you are happy to give Tesla a free unsecured loan for 3 or more years, which the market will not, it might be a good idea to hedge your exposure... Smiley

I greatly disagree on that their secured debt is more than the liquidated value.

Also, if you think a company is going to come out of chapter 11 still selling cars to customers they fleeced out of $50-250K, you might as well not even bother coming out of bankruptcy since you'll have destroyed your reputation.

Also, there is no obligation for bond holders to screw over customers outside of complete liquidation. If bond holders believe it's best to honor those obligations, then they will.

RC:
    lukestern:

If Tesla succeeds in making the Roadster happen and it delivers the performance (maybe even on the track), it could certainly raise Tesla's reputation (and stock value), bringing in more fresh money.

It is impossible to think of a scenario where they would still need fresh money in 2020. Either they are a cash cow by then or they are already dead Smiley

wantone:

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    661848 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401111 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254581 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229124 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59470 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4378 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853452 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761718 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM